Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Rune Race: Iqua Thread  (Read 17572 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Race: Iqua Thread
« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2019, 06:02:57 am »

If shadow works the same as water in the ricle it suppose to work, any idea what to advance?
Quote from: Discovery vote
Expiriment: Alchemy:Attack (Fire), Shape (Earth) Control (Shadow):(1) Rockeater
Inestigate:Life Complex meaning:(1)Rockeater
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 09:17:23 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2019, 11:57:08 am »

You know what, sure, I'd like to see what we could do with Life. If it can get us healing magic, that could be a pretty significant advantage.

I'm not sure about the alchemy experiment. It could be good, but I'd rather work Form in there somehow, given that we have Mastery in that meaning, and will therefore get more information about why the results do what they do. Like, we know that having the middle rune in an alchemy recipe causes it to effect the blood (except in the case of Form Form Form, which makes paint)- I'd like to see what happens when the first or last rune uses Form. Probably the first, since we know that using Form as the first rune has special effects in other styles; it might do something in alchemy as well? If not, it's more likely to work together with a Chant or Spell, at least.

So, I'd tweak the suggestion to this:
Runic System Experiment - Alchemy [Form(Fire), Shape(Earth), Control(Shadow)]

E: I was re-reading some early posts, and this caught my attention:
"With our mastery of water we have gained an insight into our Recipe, Swan’s Black Blood. The poison produces an imbalance in the elemental balance of the victim, an excess of Water. Perhaps it would even protect them from fire, though the side effects make use of such protection impractical."
So we do actually know where to start with a fire-resistance elixir. We just need to turn either Swan's Blood or Dragon's Lethargy from a poison to an elixir.

So if we took Black Dragon's Lethargy:
[Ward(Earth), Form(Water), Attack(Fire)]
And changed the last rune to Ward (as in Earth Elemental's Fortifying Elixir):
[Ward(Earth), Form(Water), Ward(Fire)]
We might get an elixir that both boosts endurance and protects from fire? Maybe?

If this worked, it would be very useful, obviously. In fact, I think it'd be worth delaying the other experiment to the Design phase (such that if the elixir works, we could design something using it).

Runic System Experiment - Alchemy [Attack(Fire), Shape(Earth), Control(Shadow)]: (1) Rockeater
Runic System Experiment - Alchemy [Form(Fire), Shape(Earth), Control(Shadow)]:
Runic System Experiment - Alchemy [Ward(Earth), Form(Water), Ward(Fire)]: (1) NUKE9.13
Investigate - Life meaning: (2) Rockeater, NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:28:49 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2019, 02:01:08 pm »

Getting fireproofing and healing does sound like a priority what with all the fire being thrown around.
Runic System Experiment - Alchemy [Attack(Fire), Shape(Earth), Control(Shadow)]: (1) Rockeater
Runic System Experiment - Alchemy [Ward(Earth), Form(Water), Ward(Fire)]: (2) NUKE9.13, Kilojoule Proton
Investigate - Life meaning: (3) Rockeater, NUKE9.13, Kilojoule Proton

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2019, 03:04:29 pm »

I still want to do my experiment sometime, though Nuke's alteration of it is also acceptable, but yah, in the short term if we can be immune or resistant to fire it would be great. We'll also need to think about cold resistance given the whole rain thing they've been doing recently, but this looks good to me and I support being able to actually use Life as well.
Runic System Experiment - Alchemy [Ward(Earth), Form(Water), Ward(Fire)]: (3) NUKE9.13, Kilojoule Proton, Happerry
Investigate - Life meaning: (4) Rockeater, NUKE9.13, Kilojoule Proton, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2019, 07:57:55 pm »

Discovery Phase

Runic System Experiment (Alchemy): Ward(Earth), Form(Water), Ward(Fire)

New Recipe Discovered: Ward(Earth), Form(Water), Ward(Fire) - Black Dragon’s Coursing Elixir
An elixir that aligns the imbiber's blood with the Water element. The drinker will be filled with vitality, becoming more energetic and less affected by things that would sap their energy.
This elixir cures and protects against Black Dragon’s Lethargy. When applied to metal the elixir renders it more flexible.

(Water Mastery) The Water element in this position causes this elixir to align the drinker with the Water element. Causing magic such as chanting which is Water aligned to be more powerful. Water alignment is attained by either a majority of runes being Water or the first rune being Water in a balanced set.
(Form Mastery) The use of the Form Meaning governs the blood.

Investigate Runic Component: Life Meaning
Helicoid shape. The indents consist of two three-prong forks facing each other. On one fork, the outer prongs are longer than the inner prong and on the other fork, the inner prong is longer than the outer prongs.

It is now Summer, Turn 5 Design Phase
You have a Hint Token.

Spoiler: Rune Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Discoveries (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:48:05 am by Talion »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2019, 08:46:23 pm »

I want to suggest doing a Control(Air), Ward(Air), Shape(Water) investigation with one action. Hopefully that will give us either a mist ridden wind or a water attack of some sort, which we can use with our poisons to make poison clouds now that we also have a potion that will make our troops either immune or at least highly resistant to our own poison.

For our second action, I want to suggest we investigate the Earth element up to mastery and see what it unlocks. I'm interesting in investigating the Earth Element because that element is supposed to be the way to Golems, so I want to see if the element it unlocks at Mastery is useful for that.

Alternatively, we could try a Geomancy or Chant of Life (Earth), Form (Earth), Control (Earth) and see if that lets us animate golems or summon Earth Elementals or whatever, or try for a chant of Life (Wood), Shape (Wood), Ward (Shadow) and see if we can get a healing spell. Or do it as an alchemy and see if we get a healing potion, whichever.

On the third hand, we haven't done anything with this yet.
Elemental Distillation - The use of chanting to enhance the alchemy process by using the correct set of words.
Using a chant with matching Elements to a known Alchemical recipe enables a different recipe to be imbued with both associated powers at the cost of double the expenditure of mana.
If we make an alchemical recipe of Ward(Wood), Form(Air), Attack(Shadow) we'll have one that matches the Reinforcement of Cutting chant, which could let us infuse the Earth Elemental’s Fortifying Elixir we use the make Moonlight Gear with Reinforcement of Cutting, which I think we can all agree could be very nice.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 25, 2019, 12:12:20 pm »

Alright, so. There are a lot of avenues we could go down right now. Here's what I'm thinking right now:

-Use the Hint Token that was just approved to ask how best to make a Healing Potion. With the Life meaning available, I suspect that some combination of Air, Earth, and Wood runes, with some number of those being Life(), would get us this. Even a slow-acting healing potion would drastically reduce effective casualties, as any wounded soldiers will be fighting fit for the next battle. A fast-acting one would be even better, although their new crossbow bolts could present a problem- unless a healing potion caused the body to eject the bolt, they may still be crippled even if all their wounds healed (it'd still be better than nothing, though).

-Use one design to follow through on the advice of the Hint Token, hopefully producing a working product.
-Use the second design to try for some sort of offensive magic... I'm not sure how or what, though. Ideally, we'd want to work in Water, to take advantage of our mastery, and the possibility to use BDCE to strengthen it. Probably would want to use Form() as the first rune. However, I'm not sure that Form(Water) would be best, as the first element used in a chant seems to determine its nature (see list below), and I'm guessing that Water will not result in a particularly offensive one.

Quote from: Chant types
First rune is X | Chant is called Y
Wood | Reinforcement of _
Earth | Spike of _
Air | Wind of _
Fire | unsure, probably Pillar of _
Water | no idea, but if I had to guess I'd say "Shield of _", and not "Wave of _" as that would be rather similar to Wind/Spike

You may note that I'm suggesting two experiments, and no implementation designs. This is because... I'm pretty confident that unless we get real lucky, we won't be seeing any victories this turn regardless. Instead, my thinking is to prepare for next turn, when we should (gods willing) have an extra ore, greatly boosting the strength of all our soldiers.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 26, 2019, 02:11:09 am »

Well, after discussion in the discord I'm going to put this plan forwards.

Quote from: Box of votes
Runic System Experiment  - Geomancy [Form(Wood), Life(Wood), Control(Wood)] : (1) Happerry
Runic System Experiment  - Chanting [Form(Air), Shape(Fire), Attack(Shadow)] : (1) Happerry
Hint Token - how do we make a healing potion? : (1) Happerry

The Geomancy recipe will let us experiment with chaining geomancy spells as well as a better understanding of what and how geomancy works. Hopefully it'll also result in some sort of plant growth effect that will let us regrow the jungle, but getting the data to properly make that kind of estimation is just as important. Chant wise hopefully it'll give us our first good direct offensive chant, and by starting with the Form meaning it can also be chain chanted letting us test that out as well.

Lastly in the discord there's been general agreement on using the hint token for a healing potion or other form of healing magic. (Though if we end up being told to just do Alchemy - Life (Wood), Life (Wood), Life (Wood) or such I'm going to facepalm.)
Forenia Forever!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 26, 2019, 07:29:53 am »

Runic System Experiment  - Chanting [Form(Air), Shape(Fire), Attack(Shadow)]
I'd predict that this would be, like, "Wind of Fear", or something along those lines. Elementally, Fire->Shadow is fear, as seen in Reinforcement of Fear. I mean, the meanings are different, so it might do something else, but I don't think this would be something that causes actual physical damage.

The geomancy experiment I'd be okay with, maybe. If it did what you expect, it could be a good way to create cover not only in the Jungle, but on other fronts as well. I mean, the idea of the Loji marching across the hills to fight us and coming across a forest that wasn't there before is somewhat amusing.

But really, I'd like to vote the hint token through first, since those get resolved immediately upon consensus, meaning we could potentially use a design this turn to try to follow the advice. To that end, I'm going to split the votebox into two sections, and only vote on the hint section for now.

Hint Token Use
Hint Token - how do we make a healing potion? : (2) Happerry, NUKE9.13
Do not use:

Designs (pick 2)
Runic System Experiment  - Geomancy [Form(Wood), Life(Wood), Control(Wood)] : (1) Happerry
Runic System Experiment  - Chanting [Form(Air), Shape(Fire), Attack(Shadow)] : (1) Happerry

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 26, 2019, 01:24:04 pm »

Hint Token Use
Hint Token - how do we make a healing potion? : (3) Happerry, NUKE9.13, Rockeater
Do not use:

Designs (pick 2)
I prefer to use one of the designs for something more useful this turn so I will support only the hint for now.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2019, 09:33:12 am »

Hint Token Use
Hint Token - how do we make a healing potion? : (4) Happerry, NUKE9.13, Rockeater, Detoxicated
Do not use:

Designs (pick 2)
Runic System Experiment  - Geomancy [Form(Wood), Life(Wood), Control(Wood)] : (2) Happerry, Detoxicated
I prefer to use one of the designs for something more useful this turn so I will support only the hint for now.
[/quote]

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2019, 12:08:46 pm »

Hint Token
Our intuition is that the following recipe would prove fruitful in obtaining a potion that will increase the general speed of regeneration. A potion that will have a positive impact on blood recovery and clotting.
Meaning(Fire), Form(Earth), Life(Water)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2019, 05:48:41 pm »

Designs (pick 2)
Runic System Experiment  - Geomancy [Form(Wood), Life(Wood), Control(Wood)] : (2) Happerry, Detoxicated
Runic System Experiment  - Chanting [Form(Air), Shape(Fire), Attack(Shadow)] : (0)
Runic System Experiment  - Alchemy [Ward(Fire), Form(Earth), Life(Water)] : (1) Happerry
Forenia Forever!

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2019, 02:31:05 am »

Designs (pick 2)
Runic System Experiment  - Chanting [Form(Air), Shape(Fire), Attack(Shadow)] : (0)
Runic System Experiment  - Alchemy [Ward(Fire), Form(Earth), Life(Water)] : (1) Happerry, Kilojoule Proton

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 28, 2019, 08:48:56 am »

So, I'm definitely voting for the healing potion experiment. The other design, I'm less sure about. I would like an offensive spell, to get through the Jarl's wind-shield, but I'm having trouble deciding on what would be the best way of doing that.
In fact, I'm having so much trouble, that for now I'm going to vote for the Geomancy experiment. Whilst it isn't exactly what I want, it would be a worthwhile learning experience, and may have some useful results.

PS, Detoxicated and KJP: We get two actions per phase, so you should vote for two designs.

Designs (pick 2)
Runic System Experiment  - Geomancy [Form(Wood), Life(Wood), Control(Wood)] : (3) Happerry, Detoxicated, NUKE9.13
Runic System Experiment  - Alchemy [Ward(Fire), Form(Earth), Life(Water)] : (3) Happerry, Kilojoule Proton, NUKE9.13
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20