Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34

Author Topic: Rune Race: Loji Thread  (Read 33453 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Race: Loji Thread
« Reply #375 on: September 28, 2019, 01:57:53 pm »

Next turn design.

Sky Shipyards

The Land meats the Sea, and the Skies are calm. Here, we Loji were forced, and have turned our old ships for materials. However, we do still have such knowledge to build ships.

This is one such, making use of the new Refined Material, of exceptional strength for it's weight. Using this to build, along with wood, we can create a structure that is aerodynamic, and supports to hold balloons. Likewise, Fire Iron can be used and submerged as needed to generate hot air.

Lifting it off the ground and building landing supports, we can attach sails and housing for Wind Chanters to use to help direct the entire thing. It is an Airship, using Loji ingenuity to fly through the sky peacefully.

After that, we can add areas for soldiers and crew to stay, and railings for firing down from far above, with volleys of arrows by a large number of archers.

This Airship can be used transporting large numbers of troops. We've also got simpler Air Balloons for bringing things like Sailcarts and stationary emplacements onboard, which are very easy to inflate and tie to objects needing brought in.

Perhaps most important is the infrastructure to build such craft. A section of land has been offset to the West for building them. This should see costs reduced, since once built, they are unlikely to be brought down. Having a dedicated area for it will also help us improve their cost.

The initial design has the ship having 6 legs, followed by a platform, which is in turn followed by two outer arms on each side holding large balloons. The Center Platform is the first part to be built, since it is the biggest part of it. Then the balloons are added, and inflated with the Air Phasing Fire Steel to lift it up. Tied down to the ground, the bottom legs are made to hold it when landing. the Sails are then placed, along with a tower hanging from the bottom of the center platform which people can enter from.

For safety reasons, all workers have Wind along with a simple chute of cloth they can use in case of falling. Or simply using to get around. These same workers will likely advance to being operators in wartime.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:22:35 pm by TricMagic »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 28, 2019, 02:49:58 pm »

Contrary to Tricmagic, I don't want to spend both designs on researching magics, and would like to have a proper design out there so that we have something major to show this turn. I have no particular attachment to the one I went with other than being a good precursor to Tric's Grand Idea That They Just Had.

Quote from: Votebox
Hint Token:

Hint: How to make our soldiers fearless: ()
Hint: How to see in the dark: (0)
Save it for next Discovery Phase: (3) Jilladilla, AC, naturegirl1999

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (2) TricMagic, naturegirl1999
Refining rite: Shape(Earth), Attack(Earth), Ward(Earth): (0)
Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (4) TricMagic, Jilladilla, naturegirl1999, AC
Refining Rite: Shape(Fire), Ward(Fire), Attack(Fire): ()
Chant: Shape(Fire), Ward(Fire), Attack(Fire): ()
Chanters' Aeroglobe: (2) AC, Jilladilla
Surtr, Flameborn Queen: (-)
Aurgelmir, Frostborn King: (-)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 28, 2019, 03:14:05 pm »

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (2) TricMagic
Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (4) TricMagic, Jilladilla, naturegirl1999, AC
Chanters' Aeroglobe: (3) AC, Jilladilla, naturegirl1999
Yes, this turn we should have something. We can do refining next turn

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 28, 2019, 03:48:30 pm »

Not entirely true. We have too much to do. Particularly since the inscription we did this turn isn't useful. What we learned was order isn't really important, and likely that shape is chance in inscriptions. Well, also the Phase Inscription. Shape is the trigger for it.

Getting wind is good. Getting Fate, that gives us a new thing to work with, and may help in decode it. Beyond which, a Pure Fate Refinement. It may do something interesting, which may provide an edge.

As for the Aeroglobe, eh. We don't have to show something this phase. Simply the Refinements can open up some things in revision. Also not like Hot Air Balloons need to be a design.

The sight of cloth billowing above the flaming wreckage of a sail cart provided the inspiration for this device, which an Iquan might describe as a large pouch secured to an oversized basket. Crewed by a pair of Chanters, it will deliver our nation into the sky.

It's a basket with a balloon attached. A wind chanter controls it's movement. Wind of Flame Chanter for heat, or the Fire Steel. Now, what will be it's size, is my question. How many does it carry? How can it communicate in real-time?
Moreover, why use a medium power wind? Stronger Chants cost more energy, when simply manipulating the wind already present and sending it in one direction is low cost. Being able to keep going in one direction is enough.

It's more a revision, making use of weaving for the basket and ropes, and cloth.

Note for using a design on it, that we can likely make use of wood in the construction so it can hold 3 archers, along with the Wind Chanter. If we make it cheap, This means we can use air-phased bolts as an arrow rain on enemy positions, from out of their own range. Likewise, we should include a method of messaging in flags. Simple communications to convey information, with new flags made as needed to convey new developments. Using a flag that represents an enemy hero can help us determine her current position. Likewise flags to convey enemy positions and troop numbers.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:54:22 pm by TricMagic »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 28, 2019, 03:59:39 pm »

Our first foray into flight is definitely, 100% a design. Unless you want it to be utterly kitbashed, jury-rigged, and makeshift. Revisions aren't the place to step onto utterly new territory you've never even stepped near before. It's why they're called a revision.

Remember that a lot of things that seem so simple in hindsight, initial development of the concepts involved may not have been a simple or easy process.

Glory to United Forenia!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 28, 2019, 04:01:30 pm »

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (2) TricMagic, naturegirl1999
Yes, this turn we should have something. We can do refining next turn
[/quote]

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 28, 2019, 04:14:20 pm »

Our first foray into flight is definitely, 100% a design. Unless you want it to be utterly kitbashed, jury-rigged, and makeshift. Revisions aren't the place to step onto utterly new territory you've never even stepped near before. It's why they're called a revision.

Remember that a lot of things that seem so simple in hindsight, initial development of the concepts involved may not have been a simple or easy process.

It's also a bit too simple. I'd simply have both chanters with low power, at most, since that would be 2 Mana. Meaning Arrow Rain is a suitable option. Likewise, having proper communication be developed through flags would be an additive, since communication with the ground would helpful in a battlefield scenario.

So long as the Aeroglobe can carry up to five people, three of those ranged. Likewise with communications through various flags, which are lightweight and can be used for signalling info to the ground.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 28, 2019, 04:28:06 pm »

Conflagration Ballista
The crossbow has served us very well in the past. It is now a weapon capable of throwing bolts of melting metal at our opponents from ranges unimaginable by unassisted archers. We, however, have developed a new crossbow...one too large for use by a single person no matter how strong. A crossbow cocked by gears and levers, braced with metal and powered more by the tension of wound cables than a normal crossbow, capable of throwing a much larger projectile even further with far more devastating effects. Firing bolts as long as a man's leg or stones or spheres just as heavy, this new weapon will be capable of dealing incredibly lethal damage from much further than the enemy can hope to reply.

Similar to the standard Roman ballista but larger, the Conflagration Ballista will throw a spherical projectile of Air Phased Fire Iron or Fire Steel, stone, OR a more standard bolt-shaped projectile for extreme range when not using Air Phased projectiles. Mounted on a small Sailcart, these weapons are positioned on the battlefield to disrupt enemy formations or shatter their most dangerous units by throwing molten metal into them from extreme range.

No cloth or metal can save a soldier near the impact of a molten shot, as the melting metal will be sprayed all around and kill anyone no matter how well protected, nor can anyone hope to survive a direct strike from a stone or bolt cast from these machines...or even survive a strike from a stone that has already tumbled through several soldiers in front of them.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 29, 2019, 01:45:23 am »

A reminder that spending all of our design actions on research is counterproductive, as there's no guarantee that the results will be useful, and we might not be able to apply both in a single revision phase anyways. Unless the refinements have spectacular effects, this will force us to enter the battlefield with primarily the same stuff we had last season, which our enemies have probably attempted to counter since.

It's also a bit too simple. I'd simply have both chanters with low power, at most, since that would be 2 Mana. Meaning Arrow Rain is a suitable option. Likewise, having proper communication be developed through flags would be an additive, since communication with the ground would helpful in a battlefield scenario.

So long as the Aeroglobe can carry up to five people, three of those ranged. Likewise with communications through various flags, which are lightweight and can be used for signalling info to the ground.

The Wind Chanter was given a Medium power chant as they serve the crucial role of allowing the balloon to operate in the face of unfavourable winds, as well as increasing the speed and general mobility of the thing. I'd rather not cut corners in this regard.

The signalling system is a good idea, and I've added mention of using mirrors as Madman/Jilladilla suggested.

I've also made mention of the fact that the aeroglobe should be capable of carrying a number of passengers, the nature and purpose of which I'd assume we'd be able to further elaborate on in the strategy phase.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:50:15 am by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 29, 2019, 03:36:41 am »

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (1) TricMagic

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 29, 2019, 06:45:11 am »

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): ()
Conflagration Ballista (1) TricMagic

We do have something new. And I'd rather wait for flight till next turn. Lightweight steel seems perfect for making a support structure. Also, naturegirl, what are your thoughts?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 29, 2019, 09:10:24 am »

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (5) TricMagic, Jilladilla, naturegirl1999, AC, Madman
Conflagration Ballista (2) TricMagic, Madman

Since it seems I won't be getting any form of upgraded infantry (save maybe by deploying some advanced Chanters) this turn, I figure that we might as well start down the path to artillery domination....AKA "having any field artillery whatsoever". Also, it's a very logical enhancement of what we do. I like the Aeroglobe, I really do, and I want to do it, I just feel that the Ballista is a little better.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 29, 2019, 11:00:21 am »

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (5) TricMagic, Jilladilla, naturegirl1999, AC, Madman
Conflagration Ballista (3) TricMagic, Madman, naturegirl1999

Since it seems I won't be getting any form of upgraded infantry (save maybe by deploying some advanced Chanters) this turn, I figure that we might as well start down the path to artillery domination....AKA "having any field artillery whatsoever". Also, it's a very logical enhancement of what we do. I like the Aeroglobe, I really do, and I want to do it, I just feel that the Ballista is a little better.
[/quote]
I think the ballista will be good this turn. We can add the aerogloble next design phase. The ballista will be more immediately useful. Ballista cannot feel fear

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 29, 2019, 01:09:16 pm »

Strictly speaking, the ballista operators can feel fear, but they're more likely to be out of range of their fear magics.

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Chanters' Aeroglobe: (1) AC
Conflagration Ballista (4) TricMagic, Madman, naturegirl1999, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 29, 2019, 01:47:52 pm »

Strictly speaking, the ballista operators can feel fear, but they're more likely to be out of range of their fear magics.

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Chanters' Aeroglobe: (1) AC
Conflagration Ballista (4) TricMagic, Madman, naturegirl1999, Jilladilla
Yes, that. The Aeroglobe operators would be far more likely to be in range than the ballista operators.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34