Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34

Author Topic: Rune Race: Loji Thread  (Read 33473 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Race: Loji Thread
« Reply #360 on: September 28, 2019, 06:37:19 am »

Strictly speaking, I don't think we can spend the Hint Token on a magic outside the Discovery Phase either. Only thing we can spend it on now is a hint.

Quote from: Votebox
Hint Token:

Chant: Ward(Wood), Shape(Fate), Attack(Fire): (2) AC, TricMagic
Hint: How to make our soldiers fearless: (0)
Hint: How to see in the dark: (0)
Save it for next Discovery Phase: (1) Jilladilla

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (2) AC, TricMagic
Refining rite: Shape(Earth), Attack(Earth), Ward(Earth): (1) Jilladilla
Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (1) TricMagic
Chanters' Aeroglobe: (1) AC
Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air):
Shape(Fire), Ward(Fire), Attack(Fire):
Surtr, Flameborn Queen: (2) naturegirl1999, TricMagic
Aurgelmir, Frostborn King: (2) TricMagic, naturegirl1999

Now, I'm mostly ambivalent on the votes, other than wanting to get Earth Refining out as both a baseline for refining, and that we can guesstimate it to be useful (in that I have some confidence in what the result would be); and for us to not dump both of our designs on Magics. Want to have something to show this turn. The specifics are what I'm ambivalent about.

By the way, the Shape, Ward, Attack (Air/Fire) magic suggestions.... What are those supposed to be? Chants? Inscriptions? Refining Rites? I will note that we already have Shape(Air), Attack(Air), Ward(Air) for both Chanting (Wind) and Inscribing (Air Phasing), and our latest inscription is a major supporter of the 'order does not matter' theory.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 28, 2019, 06:45:21 am »

I think they were refining, but I for some reason can’t find where they were mentioned again

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 28, 2019, 06:51:52 am »

Strictly speaking, I don't think we can spend the Hint Token on a magic outside the Discovery Phase either. Only thing we can spend it on now is a hint.

Hint Token:

{invalid}Chant: Ward(Wood), Shape(Fate), Attack(Fire): (1) AC,
Hint: How to make our soldiers fearless: (0)
Save it for next Discovery Phase: (2) Jilladilla, TricMagic

Designs (choose 2):

Refining Rite: Shape(Fire), Ward(Fire), Attack(Fire): ()
Chant: Shape(Fire), Ward(Fire), Attack(Fire): ()

Now, I'm mostly ambivalent on the votes, other than wanting to get Earth Refining out as both a baseline for refining, and that we can guesstimate it to be useful (in that I have some confidence in what the result would be); and for us to not dump both of our designs on Magics. Want to have something to show this turn. The specifics are what I'm ambivalent about.

By the way, the Shape, Ward, Attack (Air/Fire) magic suggestions.... What are those supposed to be? Chants? Inscriptions? Refining Rites? I will note that we already have Shape(Air), Attack(Air), Ward(Air) for both Chanting (Wind) and Inscribing (Air Phasing), and our latest inscription is a major supporter of the 'order does not matter' theory.

Likely mine...

Hua... Also, experiments with tokens can only be done in discovery. Please see discord for that answer. They also can't be used to raise meanings, as already answered.

As for seeing in the dark, Fire. Our Fire just tears through Iqua's darkness, while the Xi Shan's likely comes from an artifact. Beating the Fear meanwhile, is something we likely can do without hint tokens. That was what the chant version was trying, hoping it would be an enhancement.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:11:49 am by TricMagic »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 28, 2019, 07:45:39 am »

Hint Token:

Hint: How to make our soldiers fearless: ()
Hint: How to see in the dark: ()
Save it for next Discovery Phase: (2) Jilladilla, AC

Designs (choose 2):

Chant: Ward(Wood), Shape(Fate), Attack(Fire): ()

Talion's confirmed on Discord that Hint Tokens can only be used for experiments in the Discovery Phase (my bad, sorry!), so I've removed that option from the votebox.

The hero designs are gaining traction, so here are my thoughts on them:

Inscribing the Fire Steel Plates with Air Phasing, and training in harsh conditions not unlike a Volcano, she learns to manage the heat.
What you’re describing is physiologically impossible, especially considering that air phased Fire Steel reaches temperatures hot enough to melt the metal. One would also question the utility of forcing a human to operate under a continuous fatigue-inducing heat load in an already demanding warfare setting.

To help, the Stillborn Steel is inscribed with the Life/Chance/Fire Phasing, to prevent melting under the heat of Fire Steel.
This inscription makes fire phase through the object; there’s no explicit mention of it causing the object to ignore heat. Anyway, if this were true, the human wearing this would be directly exposed to the effects of the overlying Fire Steel layer, as the heat would radiate through the Sillborn Steel utterly unimpeded.

She trains her craft, forgoing weapons for armor and magic, for no weapon yet exists which can handle the heat she creates.. Weapons melt off her plates on contact, becoming too soft to penetrate.
I know that Chanters are protected against their own chants, but I suspect that  she’ll be dealing with problems of her own if the temperature around her is hot enough to melt metal weapons on contact.

This inscription can prevent melting, but it requires another layer of cloth beneath it to prevent it falling through her. And it may turn off unexpectedly, leaving burns.
Again, there’s no indication that the inscription should prevent melting. Also, I don’t see why a bug should be purposefully included in the design?

Retiring to the Snowy Mountains nearby, he trains himself to be immune to cold of water and air.
This too requires superhuman physiology.

And through Meditation, he uses his chant to forgo armor for frost. A layer of unbelievably strong ice forms from water around him in the air. He is protected from it, but he eventually uses this to turn this ice into a form of enhancement, being able to dart around the battlefield and travel through his own ice structures.
I can see how he might be able to freeze himself in a shell of ice, but how on earth is he supposed to manipulate this armour? Even if he were able to synthesise an exoskeleton complete with flexible joints, the task of actually getting the sculpture to move is beyond the capabilities of "Wind of Cold".
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:55:55 am by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 28, 2019, 07:52:08 am »

Quote from: Votebix
Hint Token:

Hint: How to make our soldiers fearless: (1) naturegirl1999

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (3) AC, TricMagic, naturegirl1999
Chanters' Aeroglobe: (2) AC, naturegirl1999
Surtr, Flameborn Queen: (1) TricMagic
Aurgelmir, Frostborn King: (1) TricMagic
@Atomic Chicken thank you for the thoughts

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 28, 2019, 08:01:29 am »

You could write some more sane ones. Ice is more it breaking down and refreezing, it's constant.

Main issue with this is that I'm mostly using what we have. We don't have a cool steel to offset the heat. Likewise, we'd need a direct Ice Control/Form/Shape Chant to bring Aurgelmir to full efficiency. We simply are missing pieces, so it ends up a bit jagged.

I mean, if we go for Fate and Wind Refinement Rites, it(the Wind one) may apply automatically. If not, we can simply use a revision to create a full Wind item.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 28, 2019, 09:13:55 am »

I highly doubt that we could get the Refinement Rites to be automatically applied. After all, if Spike of Embers was not automatically granted to the Enkindlers who have mastered Wind of Embers, why would this be? (And I think that, irregardless, that we need to apply a full design in order for it to be available to the rank and file. A revision could grant it to say our Jarls though, I think. Either way, a rank and file armor upgrade could utilize a full design regardless to be beefed up somewhat, as our infrastructure is now overkill for our scale armor after all.)

Since we seem set on a full Fate Refining Rite, any guesses as to that it would accomplish? I highly doubt it's the key to Soul Inscription (as I have said previously), more likely it'll have something to deal with probability manipulation. Too many unknowns to do more than guess, between our lack of experience with Fate, and Refining being a totally unexplored field. Probably something better applied to the elites anyhow.

Glory to United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 28, 2019, 09:29:59 am »

It is available generally though. As in we can expect to have people who can do it. I'm more thinking if the Wind Refinement fits with the other two, we will learn about it and be able to deploy it. Or at least be able to use it in designs easily enough.

A full fate Refinement will be interesting, and we can get knowledge from it. Shaping Fate may be related to affecting chance. Ward is still unknown, other than being related to Cold.

What is the earth refinement meant to do but make clay though? I think that would go best as an Earth Technique..

I suppose it's more "This can be used to upgrade our Windforged Steel, so we do." type of applying. It still hasn't reached it's full potential after all.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 28, 2019, 10:02:52 am »

I do suppose you make a point with the clay in that it might result in a particular material; but it runs into the fact that we don't know the mechanics of refining just yet, we don't know if it'll just outright give us a magic material or give us a way to imbue the magic we devised into a material of our choosing (which is my current working theory, remember that the refining rite itself produces ashes); the first attempt will have to be sacrificed on that alter of uncertainty. And with the former theory, if you wanted to get a proper magic metal instead of the crudely made hack-jobs we've made in the past; what better element to use other than Earth? And even if your hypothesis proves to be the correct one in that it gives us a magic material to work with, a mono-earth Refinement is bound to be a durable material; easy enough to conceptualize uses for.
(And I'd argue that clay seems more of a Earth+Water type deal anyway, but this is besides my point.)

I will note that we do not need a pure Air Refining Rite to get Elemental Air Materials; it is our pure Air Wind Chant that gives us that, we just need a Refining Rite of any kind to properly unlock that.

Glory to United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 28, 2019, 10:13:57 am »

A pure air Refinement might give us something that is extremely useful for chants, instruments. Air-based instruments that can help extend our chanting ability.

Is my next thought on reading your post.
We totally should get every pure Refinement if we can. Perhaps grabbing another hint token? Though that also gives them one, having a lot unlocked could give us a lot of freedom. Two refinements for the design isn't bad, since it is a new style of magic.

... Thinking of it, Earth, Fire, and Wind. Those are the three refinements. I'd also want Wood for being able to create medicinal ashes. Water too. All the terrestrial pure refinements, basically.

The main three, and fate. Those four would be good options for this design phase. Though if we go with any two of the three terrestrial ones, I'd be fine with that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:17:55 am by TricMagic »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 28, 2019, 11:27:14 am »

A thing was noticed: That if we wish to make use of the Empowered Materials Secret, we need a Refinement Rite with Shape(Air), due to our only Empowered Rune being Shape(Air). And it gets Madman his ultralight materials.

Hint Token:

Hint: How to make our soldiers fearless: (1) naturegirl1999

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (3) AC, TricMagic, naturegirl1999
Refining rite: Shape(Earth), Attack(Earth), Ward(Earth): (0)
Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (2) TricMagic, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 28, 2019, 11:38:23 am »

Hint Token:

Save it for next Discovery Phase: (3) Jilladilla, AC, naturegirl1999

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (3) AC, TricMagic
Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (2) TricMagic, Jilladilla, naturegirl1999
[/quote]

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 28, 2019, 11:43:28 am »

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (1) TricMagic
Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (4) TricMagic, Jilladilla, naturegirl1999, AC

Ninja'd here; Talion's confirmed that an Empowered Material using Shape(Air) would act as a mana supply which all of our Chants could make use of.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 28, 2019, 11:56:21 am »

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (1) TricMagic
Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (4) TricMagic, Jilladilla, naturegirl1999, AC
Surtr, Flameborn Queen: (-)
Aurgelmir, Frostborn King: (-)

I kinda want to do just refinements this design phase. Sure, it doesn't get us straight new things, but we can make use of all the new things. And seeing what fate does could let us understand more about it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 28, 2019, 12:04:43 pm »

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (2) TricMagic, naturegirl1999
Surtr, Flameborn Queen: (-)
Aurgelmir, Frostborn King: (-)

You make a good point TricMage. We should be well rounded
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34