Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34

Author Topic: Rune Race: Loji Thread  (Read 33430 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Race: Loji Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2018, 04:08:40 pm »

I don't quite think you understood what Jilla's saying:
If you want a double-headed anything, you make a voulge or some other polearm monstrosity based on the weapons used by plate-armored knights. You don't do something stupid, like using two blades on an axe. If your axe is dull, well....that doesn't happen in battle. Weapons (save for specialized gambeson-cutting weapons utilized in the late medieval period) are not sharpened to a razor edge. They are "sharp enough" to cut, while remaining tough enough to survive a battle without becoming nothing more than an awkwardly-shaped metallic bludgeon.

However, if you make a voulge, for instance, you get three things, if I remember the construction right: You get an axe blade, a spear point, and a curved pick sort of thing. It's kind of like a Dane axe with a spearpoint, plus the pick shape is very sharp and capable of popping mail links.

Unless I am very much mistaken myself, he's saying "don't make a two-headed axe, make a sane polearm instead".

Also, what the heck is a reverse-headed axe and why is it relevant to this --- oh. He means on the reverse, or back, side of the axe blade. If the axe blade's on one side of the pole then something else can be on the other side, and would thus be on the reverse side of the axe blade. Bit confusing in the phrasing, there, Jilla.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2018, 04:59:47 pm »

Yeah sorry; that post was made over the course of a period of time (I was distracted); and working off of knowledge I'm a bit rusty on. Anyway, Madman proposed in the Discord of voting for a hint token? I am in favor.

EDIT: I'm a sleep deprived derp, don't mind me.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:32:53 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2018, 05:00:34 pm »

Hint Token votes go in the Core Thread, actually.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2018, 08:13:02 am »

Design Phase

Design: Jarls of the Northmen
Leaders, rulers, warriors. A Jarl leads each village and town of the Loji, a Jarl captained each ship before the heretics confined us to these wretched shores. They earn their position not through birthright, but through war and conquest. We are commanded to conquer and war if we wish to ascend, and so our leaders win their right to lead through bloodshed. Each Jarl wears an improved set of Scale Armor, a shirt of scales that hangs to the knees, with steel greaves beneath. Steel gauntlets cover the rest of the arms and the hands, and steel helms and a neck-guard protect the head and neck. They sling their shields over their backs, wielding instead weapons in two hands. Arrows, spears, and swords they shrug off, barely feeling it through thick padding and tough steel. Their own blows are not so easily ignored. Some choose to take two War Axes, some Battleaxes on a long two-handed haft with a crescent blade to hook their enemies and drag them out of even the best shieldwalls, some use Steel Halberds with a myriad of tools to kill their foes with.

In battle, Jarls lead retinues of scale-armored Huscarls, warriors sworn to fight with them and defend their leaders, albeit with lesser arms and armors. The Jarls and their retinues strike at the weak points of the enemy line with hammer-blows that cannot be matched by any foe.

Roll: 3 (Normal)

The noble Jarls of Loji are finally ready to return to the field of battle, to lead their warriors to victory once more. After the dishonour of the battle against the Glorious Star, they seek to fight to regain the esteem of the Loji people as well as restore their own pride. Out of desire to defeat the Iqua and bring all warriors against the enemy, the Loji have consented to let them prove themselves.

The newly discovered Windforged Steel has replaced the old and outdated weapons of the Loji only through the hard work of the smiths set to the task. Such dedication and hard work set a fine example for all of the people, displaying the inherent conviction of even those of the Loji who do not stand upon the front lines. So great has been the task and so busy have the smiths been, that they find themselves unable to meet the selfish demands of the Jarls, that they be equipped with the unique weapons they desire to wield. They will have to make do with what equipment is to spare for the moment.

It is now Spring, Turn 0 Revision Phase

Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2018, 10:10:07 am »

I really hope they actually are armored...

Recurve Steel Crossbow-

Given their range advantage, we need to outrange them. And this should do.

Cross bows are made of the stock and bow, so..

The bow is made up of steel and wood pieces placed together. the center slopes down before springing up a bit at the end. Wood for the center, then steel, then wood and steel at the end.

We use a steel thread for bow, meant to hold up. It's made of lengths of steel string woven into a thread. Attached to the end slopes of the bow.

Stock is steel and wood, used in such a way to prevent the thing from breaking. All in all, this should give us a long range option, while retaining it's easy size to wield.

Last is the Steel Claw. Wrapped up for better grip, to reload the bow, you place it at your feet and use your feet and this Claw to draw the bowstring. Since we have a Pavise, this keeps them safe while drawing, and makes reloading the crossbow a matter of 5 to 10 seconds, depending on our skill at reloading.

Ah, and can't forget the trigger mechanism, but we know how to make that by now. Just use steel here instead, since this is meant to outreach their range.

Anything I forgot? Wrote this up in one sitting,

Recurve bows are smaller, and hold plenty of force. Not as much as a true longbow, but since this is a crossbow, it can hit a higher energy threshold. Save the monster Longbow mechanism for siege-like weapon designs.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2018, 11:43:47 am »

I don't think we necessarily want recurve on a crossbow. Also, for a medium crossbow we DON'T want arms made of steel. For one thing we haven't invented spring steel yet, for another that's a full heavy crossbow that will REQUIRE a windlass to draw. A reinforced wooden bow will be better for our purposes, OR we could try going all the way for a heavy steel-limbed crossbow, but I don't know whether that will actually be revision-level material or not.

Medium Crossbow
Based on the Light Crossbow, the Medium Crossbow is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin: The crossbow is reinforced with steel and tougher wood, slightly lengthened limbs, and a toughened string, woven of steel threads if necessary. A metal stirrup is added to the front of the bow, used in concert with a claw-shaped device with a handle to draw back the string with both hands under the cover of a Pavise Shield. New, refined bolts come in broadhead and armor-piercing chisel-tip configurations, made from good-quality hardwood to resist the forces of firing without breaking.

Windforged Weaponry
To equip our Jarls and regular troops properly, a set of new equipment is made by the smiths, now used to working in Windforged Steel. The armor upgrades requested for the Jarls are provided, and a War Axe is modified to be a Battleaxe, with a long haft and slightly longer blade, to be used to hook enemies and kill them. Another weapon provided is the Halberd, basically a Battleaxe with a spear point on the end. The Northman's Shield is also adapted slightly, so two leather loops can be used instead of a loop and a handle, allowing it to be used strapped to the arm, without a hand on the shield itself, providing protection even for soldiers using two-handed weapons in the lines. All can be used by regular troops where appropriate.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:09:30 pm by Madman198237 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2018, 12:16:54 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Medium Crossbow (1) TricMagic
Windforged Weaponry (-)

Pepper them at range, massed fire. They aren't going to lie when they have to deal with our superior arrows, and we can then get into melee range safely.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2018, 12:42:15 pm »

Medium Crossbow (2) TricMagic, AC
Windforged Weaponry (0)
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2018, 02:47:30 pm »

Medium Crossbow (3) TricMagic, AC, Jilladilla
Windforged Weaponry (0)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2018, 02:52:06 pm »

Medium Crossbow (4) TricMagic, AC, Jilladilla, Madman
Windforged Weaponry (0)

Guess we'll be improving the Jarls next turn, then.

EDIT:

Quote from: Voiceguard Division Names
Windsingers:
Leave them as is: (2) Madman, AC

Shroudweavers

Preparers:
Leave them as is: (0)
Apothecaries (yes I know WH40k uses the word, screw them): (2) Madman, AC

Enkindlers:
Leave them as is: (1) AC
Hearthkeepers: (1) Madman

Let's finalize these names.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:19:53 pm by Madman198237 »

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2018, 12:47:57 pm »

Revision Phase

Medium Crossbow
Based on the Light Crossbow, the Medium Crossbow is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin: The crossbow is reinforced with steel and tougher wood, slightly lengthened limbs, and a toughened string, woven of steel threads if necessary. A metal stirrup is added to the front of the bow, used in concert with a claw-shaped device with a handle to draw back the string with both hands under the cover of a Pavise Shield. New, refined bolts come in broadhead and armor-piercing chisel-tip configurations, made from good-quality hardwood to resist the forces of firing without breaking.

Normal: 6

With the invention of the medium crossbow, we have practically obsoleted the light crossbow. A stronger crossbow, superior reloading mechanism and upgraded bolts were all within our capability. Tests indicate that the wood of our shields is little match for the new bolts, although at longer ranges it is unlikely such a bolt will inflict further damage. Even the metal reinforced vital points of our Brigandine Armour is threatened by a more direct strike. Speaking of range, we estimate that this new crossbow ought to match the range of the Iqua’s bow.

It is now Spring, Turn 0 Battle Phase

Resources: Land 2, Ore 1, Mana 2, 1x Hint Token
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2018, 01:44:45 pm »

Quote from: Hint Token
Don't Spend Token Now: (0)
Spend Hint Token to find the Chant-strengthening Inscription [or at least the next step in discovering it]: (1) Madman

Windsingers:

Shroudweavers

Preparers:

Enkindlers:
Dragon's Kin: (1) Madman

Two things we need to figure out before the battle is written. Also, I can't wait to see the ambushers get burned, smoked, and stalked right out of their forests. Even the deadliest of poisoned arrows is completely ineffective against well-made scale armor...which I hope is what we have despite the partial failure of the Jarls' design.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2018, 01:53:22 pm »

Quote from: Hint Token
Don't Spend Token Now: (1) TricMagc
Spend Hint Token to find the Chant-strengthening Inscription [or at least the next step in discovering it]: (1) Madman

Windsingers:
Leave them as is: (3) Madman, AC, TricMagic

Shroudweavers
Leave them as is: (3) Madman, AC, TricMagic

Preparers:

Enkindlers:
Dragon's Kin: (1) Madman
Dragonflamers (1) Tricmagic

Don't think they have it..

I kinda want to spend the Hint Token on WoE & plain old Wind. Turn those chants to inscriptions. WoE would be kind of cool, Particularly if it turns our steel to the point it can set things on fire, or maybe attach it to our arrows/crossbow so it sets fire to what it hits.

More particularly, I kinda think it will do something different than the chant, and it stands to reason that we may already have the necessary chant, we just need to create the inscription.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2018, 01:59:56 pm »

We aren't using a Chant that will work like an Inscription, we're working on the basis of "we don't know what Inscription is necessary or even if effects translate directly from Chant to Inscription, but we do know that it is going to be very, very useful for us to empower Chants further especially since we've made the Voiceguard".

Using that Hint Token is the fastest way to reach a new level of strength with Chants. I should've taken a good look at the magic system awhile ago and I wish we'd figured out the hero/elite units thing awhile ago, too, but now we're going to have to start pulling things together.

I have two options that I'm considering for next turn, despite the near-uselessness of doing so when we know nothing of the enemy's army, except for the fact that they're about to be turned into oh so many crossbow-bolt-filled pincushions:
One: we go all-out on reaching the Chant-empowering Inscription, spending the Hint Token now so we know what to do next turn and spending the design on the Inscription; or two: save the Hint Token for another Discovery next turn and go for two different Chants, or a Chant and another skill-increase with the Discovery, and use the design on a Hero of our own.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2018, 02:09:00 pm »

I would like to get a pure wood chant, for reasons I've stated before. As well as an inscription of some sort. We may not know what it does, bit we should at least see what such a combination gets us.

We know inscriptions run off the rule of three, so WoE is a good basis for an inscription, being Shape(Air), Attack(Earth), and Ward(Fire).
 At the least, it's a comparison.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34