Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions about quality  (Read 620 times)

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions about quality
« on: September 26, 2018, 09:44:05 am »

A Quick One, i understand that a High quality melee weapon does higher damage than a normal One (masterwork Cooper sword doing good damage), does this apply to crossbows too?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about quality
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 10:00:27 am »

From the wiki's ranged combat section, crossbow quality effects accuracy, and bolt quality effects damage.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 10:01:15 am »

Ugh... Have to train a bowyer?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 12:53:59 pm »

A weaponsmith can make high-quality metal crossbows, and high enough skill makes loss of accuracy from low quality less relevant, so not necessarily.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 02:00:58 am »

Ugh... Have to train a bowyer?

If you have migrants, there is a big chance one of them will be a bowyer. I always get a LEV 11 bowyer eventually. In current fort I got a very old bowyer, so I ordered him to make as many masterwork bone crossbows as possible before he kicks the bucket, which he did. His replacement took a couple of years to appear, but they will show up eventually.

Anyway, my point is that it's better to train a weaponsmith, who uses forge and weaponsmith skill to make metal crossbows AND other useful weapons and stuff including ammo, instead of a bowyer who uses bowyer's shop to make bone or wooden crossbows, and can't even make ammo for it (unless he also doubles as a bonecrafter; wooden ammo is not worth considering if you have bones).

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 05:41:56 am »

at the moment I use wood ammo for training, still have to create a proper bone industry with chickens, it needs time

and i have to start a forge, yea