Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there a reason why my dwarves are not harvesting beans or peas?  (Read 2162 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Is there a reason why my dwarves are not harvesting beans or peas?
« on: September 25, 2018, 02:49:48 am »

I have a fairly easy-mode embark with nice surface accessible magma, copious trees and fruit, etc in a savage biome.

One of the things available at the embark are red beans, and peas.  Yet, despite growing to maturity and clearly having fruited, my dwarves will not harvest them, either from a gathering activity zone, or from manual plant harvest designation.

Is there a reason for this?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a reason why my dwarves are not harvesting beans or peas?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 03:36:32 am »

Yes.  Peas and beans are unfortunately bugged.  Anything with a pod, basically.  It can't be harvested.  There is already a bug in Mantis somewhere.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 03:54:47 am »

Well that stinks.  You would think that the pea pod could be treated like a berry, just with a different name, and that it would work just fine...

But, whatever.

Does spawning pea and bean seeds with dfhack at least get around the "cannot be harvested" problem for wild stock?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 06:01:03 am »

Well that stinks.  You would think that the pea pod could be treated like a berry, just with a different name, and that it would work just fine...
:
Well, you can probably hack the raws to get them to have berries as growths, rather than pods. Just that these "berries" have the same name as the pods.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 07:13:02 am »

There's also the fact that, being seeds, they won't be eaten unless cooked (dwarf would rather starve, even if seed is marked as edible; tested in 44.09).

Human caravans still brought me some. My expedition leader didn't ask how it is possible for such plants to not be extinct.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:52 am »

eating the pods is not that unreasonable for these crops.  see also, snow peas, and snap beans.

getting useful seeds back from eating raw is a bit odd... but many existing crops have that oddity as well. (like longland flour. Seriously, flour is made from the ground up seeds!)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:24:48 pm »

There's also the fact that, being seeds, they won't be eaten unless cooked (dwarf would rather starve, even if seed is marked as edible; tested in 44.09).

Human caravans still brought me some. My expedition leader didn't ask how it is possible for such plants to not be extinct.

NEVER eat raw beans! Kidney beans contain the most of the toxin. You'll vomit and #2 for hours and hours as your body cannot accept an ounce of any of that stuff! You have been warned! Boil beans for at least a half hour!

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/food-poisoning/red-kidney-bean-toxins.html

"This is a sugar based protein (glycoprotein) which is found in many types of beans which includes cannellini beans and broad beans."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 12:52:44 pm »

Huh, TIL. Though I think I haven't even seen raw kidney beans IRL and am not sure what they're called (in my native tongue). That preparation method reminds me of how some mushrooms are made edible by boiling the toxins away as well.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 03:29:46 pm »

Huh, TIL. Though I think I haven't even seen raw kidney beans IRL and am not sure what they're called (in my native tongue). That preparation method reminds me of how some mushrooms are made edible by boiling the toxins away as well.

From experience, I know this toxin. Kidney beans contain the most of it besides the other legumes. The big issue is that I soaked the beans overnight and used that same water, boiling the beans for far less than I should have as they were still hard and crunchy. I ate a whole bowl! I was up ALL night. Had to constantly drink water to force out every last skin and bean granule. BEWARE you have been warned!

Actually, it would make a great syndrome for eating unprepared beans.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:38:42 pm by Bob69Joe »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 03:41:11 pm »

It would, if dwarves did that. Alas, they do not.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 03:41:47 am »

Fleeting Frames, out of curiosity, what is your native tongue?  You English is absolutely amazing, though.  I would never guess you weren't a native speaker.  I taught English as a foreign language for 5 years, so people who can master a second language to this degree really impress me!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 08:53:42 am »

From a scale of 1 to 10, how good is my English? I've been learning since I was 3.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 09:15:04 am »

NEVER eat raw beans! Kidney beans contain the most of the toxin. You'll vomit and #2 for hours and hours as your body cannot accept an ounce of any of that stuff! You have been warned! Boil beans for at least a half hour!

Heh, I remember this happened to me when I was a little kid. We were harvesting these beans, and I didn't believe that they were any different from regular peas, for instance. Ate a whole bunch of them and was terribly nauseous for the rest of the day - although, I didn't actually puke, somehow. But I certainly hated kindey beans ever since.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 02:49:49 pm »

@mikekchar: Estonian; English is my third language (out of four, technically, but other two have rusted). Also, firefox spellchecker helps slightly. You'd never guess me to be native speaker if you tried to speak to me, though, my spelling is so bad that failing any listening section is a "no bet" - as such with bit of a chicken and egg problem I near never listen to anything in English (and if I do, I am sure to misunderstand).

@KittyTac: Don't remember any persistent mistakes you've been making.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 01:56:46 am »

Well, I used gui/create-items to create the necessary seeds.  So far, dwarves have picked them up, and taken them to the farm plot for planting, and planted them.

Time will tell what exactly happens after that though...
Pages: [1] 2