Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where can I find steel equipment in a dwarven civ?  (Read 1729 times)

Megaman3300

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Where can I find steel equipment in a dwarven civ?
« on: September 23, 2018, 08:20:01 am »

Question is exactly what it says in the title. I'm looking for steel, but I don't know what I'm looking for in a hillock or fortress or mountain home, and I don't know if it even exists.

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find steel equipment in a dwarven civ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:39:37 pm »

You'll find that some of the warriors in a fortress will have steel equipment, so all you have to do to get your hands on it is borrow some stuff from said fortress then barter.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 10:47:04 pm »

Question is exactly what it says in the title. I'm looking for steel, but I don't know what I'm looking for in a hillock or fortress or mountain home, and I don't know if it even exists.

At a world-gen fort, descend the upward/downward ramp. The topmost level below the trade depot (the surface floor) will be the warehouse level. Skip this and go lower to the displaycase/pedestal level where there will be an item stash, not unlike what's found at meadhalls or bandit camps. There, RNG-dependent, you'll find steel items.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:04:08 am »

Soldiers from dwarven civs sometimes have basic-quality steel equipment, but it's not always a full set of the good stuff. Pairs of boots and gauntlets are regarded as a single unit and will always be a uniform material(no iron left gauntlets and bronze right gauntlets), and the weapon and shield seem to follow this rule too, but the helm, chestpiece, and legwear don't follow that rule.
As for getting the gear for yourself, you've got a few options.

I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 09:44:09 am »

Blastbeard you magnificent bastard! I hadn't thought of the last one. I just assumed an identity and snuck through a sleeping fortress nabbing shit left and right. Thanks for the tip!

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 02:26:25 pm »

I think my favorite aspect of false identities is that you can literally call yourself Falsename and everyone will actually fall for it. The only way the system could be better is if you could impersonate living historical figures...
Spoiler: One can only dream (click to show/hide)

There's actually one more way I usually get steel equipment without resorting to mods. Megabeasts, titans, night trolls, and uncivilized creatures that have a lair, labyrinth, or shrine  will sometimes have the remains and possessions of their victims strewn about their homes. If you can defeat or circumvent the resident(s) of these lairs, said possessions are yours for the taking. If you check to legends mode, you can sometimes find lairs that should contain artifacts. If such an artifact happens to be a steel weapon or armor piece, go get it. WARNING: If the beast is a dragon or fire-breathing titan, lure it away from the treasure before you engage or go looting.

I actually defeated my very first megabeast in such a manner: Some 5 years ago, I decided to pit an unarmored dwarf against a cyclops. When I discovered there was steel armor in its lair, I kited the beast out, snuck back in, geared up, and swung an axe at its legs until it bled to death. Good times, but I don't miss not being able to jump and climb.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 06:24:34 pm »

I think my favorite aspect of false identities is that you can literally call yourself Falsename and everyone will actually fall for it. The only way the system could be better is if you could impersonate living historical figures...
"No, no, no! I'm not Urist Axemurder! I'm... uh... his cousin, Arist... Flaxgirder!"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:32:58 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?