Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelforge  (Read 1005 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Steelforge
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:49:51 pm »

Currently getting ready to fire up the magma forges, but got delayed by a Bronze Colossus.  1 melee squad having trained for 4 years destroyed it after the drawbridge failed to close in time.  Only 1 was killed and a few were badly injured.  Apparently Bronze Colossuses can charge very fast, and the lever should be pulled immediately.  There is no time to get the livestock indoors.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The rooms are mostly all being used as flex space right now until more is dug out; since magma flowing everywhere is the #1 priority.  Plenty of hospital beds for them to sleep in.  Plus temporary beds around the magma viewing walkway are enough.  All food is sold seasonally in exchange for steel and iron.

No relation to Ironforge

Basil ii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steelforge
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 06:57:19 am »

Well this should be FUN

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Steelforge
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:49:48 pm »

The magma forges have been fired up.  Only 14 dwarves died from madness, either starving to death or going berserk and being put down.  Also, while channeling the 3-z level tall corridor around the magma forges, there was a cave in that managed to collapse part of the floor into the magma plumbing below.  All that remains of the unfortunate miner is the copper pick.   

Also, 3 other miners got turned into magma vapor while breaching the 5 holes into the volcano.  They were given basalt memorial slabs behind an alunite door in the magma plumbing for their sacrifice.

They have a tavern now so they can better drink their misery away.  I tried giving the miserable ones some crafting work to get legendary skills, but even after realizing their dream, they are still down in the dumps.  On a somewhat related note, I just found out Cavy Boars are not actual boars and butchering them produces no meat or much of anything useful, only a skull.  So they along with all the rabbits are up on the chopping block to save the pasture greenery.  With a name like "Boar" I was fooled.  50 of the guinnea pigs have to go now.  Hmmm... Let's see if I can pasture them with the grizzly bear I just got from the elven caravan.  What could go wrong?

With all the trade up until the magma forges got fired up, there is a backlog of 800+ metal bars for the metalsmiths to work with.