Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intelligent Wilderness Creatures in Cage Traps  (Read 1285 times)

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Intelligent Wilderness Creatures in Cage Traps
« on: September 12, 2018, 12:05:30 pm »

Some plump helmet men wandered into my cage traps in the caverns. Is there any chance of getting these guys to petition to join my fort? Is there anything interesting you can do with them? Or am I better off releasing them off on their merry way?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent Wilderness Creatures in Cage Traps
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 05:08:08 pm »

You can't make them petition without raw modification (or, I assume, DFHacking of some sort), and I don't know if modified raws affects ones already present.

If "interesting" means various more or less violent ways of torture, maim, reanimate, etc. then the answer is yes. If "interesting" means something peaceful civilized, then the answer is no.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 08:55:05 pm »

I have tested on fish that you can add pet tags then train the creatures without them. Of course, as gremlins show this is kind of buggy.

Joining "normally" needs hacking.

nutregina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 03:50:33 am »

you can possibly remove [CAN_LEARN], add [PETVALUE:100] [PET] and try to tame them.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:05:41 am by nutregina »

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 05:08:32 pm »

you can possibly remove [CAN_LEARN], add [PETVALUE:100] [PET] and try to tame them.

All that's required to tame a plump helmet man is to add the [PET_EXOTIC]. This is will make them behave like gremlins, I happen to have all three creatures in my fort and I know from past experience with gremlins and troglodytes that training and waiting the two years results in a citizenship application. Though that comes with it's own problems. I've only had my plump helmet man a few months and this fort gets terrible fps so it would take at least two days to play out two years but I already have two trog children citizens using this method and I anticipate a dozen trog petitions over the next year. I see no reason not to expect the same from the plump helmet man in due time.

If you've got a breeding group you can tame the offspring and that will take care of most of the buggy behavior caused by trying to retrain citizens.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 06:02:58 pm »

If set them on fire, they will burn forever without dieing, thus creating a perpetual smoke generator.