Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting artifact weapons?  (Read 3016 times)

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:ELF]
    • View Profile
Interesting artifact weapons?
« on: September 09, 2018, 08:22:43 pm »

Now that we have had NPC artifacts in adv mode, has anyone found any particularly interesting artifact weapons? (Especially one made from steel/candy?)
When in doubt, Succeed from the union.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting artifact weapons?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:24:50 pm »

Candy weapon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oadf4KNYz-I

There's no candy in DF.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 08:49:43 pm »

Candy weapon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oadf4KNYz-I

There's no candy in DF.

You obviously haven’t dug deep enough ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
When in doubt, Succeed from the union.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 10:26:12 pm »

What qualifies an artifact weapon for being interesting? One of mine's found an artifact steel spear (it's REALLY good at getting stuck in things) and an artifact steel crossbow (if the wiki's right, it doesn't shoot any better than a wooden one). The decorations and names are not special, either.

I do have this dwarf bone leggings that I just noticed is called "Youthcancer." Yeah, kids get bone cancer more often than adults do, but how did the game know that?
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 10:29:45 pm »

Candy weapon?
There's no candy in DF.
You obviously haven’t dug deep enough ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I've never seen a candy anything that wasn't created in a player fortress, The closest I've seen is the occasional strand extractor idling in generated sites. It implies they've worked with the material enough to gain some skill, but as stated I've never seen a single bit of not-mithril that wasn't dug up under a player's orders. Could be a feature to keep 'fresh' worlds safe from the horrors of the underworld spoiler-free, or it could just be a logistical issue where generated sites just can't reach that far down.

Back to the topic, I have several somethings interesting.

Spoiler: Espionage or Insult? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: There's also this: (click to show/hide)

I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 08:20:13 am »

I've been to a generated site that had a clearly (partially) mined candy deposit just off the central stairwell. Not enough to call in the circus but definitely not just a natural dimple in the deposit. Sadly, this site also had absolutely no candy items, artefact or otherwise, seems the game doesn't track what they mine up, just what is a local resource, explicitly excluding anything spoilery, and anything that can be produced via reaction, regardless of whether reagents are present.

As for the actual topic, only artefacts I've really come across are jewellery, super valuable but I'd rather not use them in a fight.

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 01:39:12 am »

In the vanilla game, none of the civs produce candy items as far as I know, even though dwarfs have [PERMITTED_REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS] in their entity raws.

I've played some games with a lot of modded materials (i.e. spellcrafts) that make their way into the materials for artifacts. Usually they make no sense, like a magic aura encrusted with conglomerate and menacing with spikes of gopher bone . Some of these combinations work, however, and make the artifacts "sound" enchanted and magical even if it's still just a copper sword -_- .

Here are a few:

Saramokin "The Great Equity": Legendary Sun Gold Bow: Well-designed image of fae in granite and depictions of throbbing cysts rendered in lightning.

Gliteryololory Tirin Xamboran "Phraseauburn the Murk of Reverence": Legendary Meteoric Iron Spear: Encrusted with oval cut peridots and finely-crafted round native gold cabochons and studded with cobalt.

^A type of meteorite called a "Pallasite" is an iron meteorite that contains peridot crystals so I think this is a great coincidence. Plus the cabochons aren't made out of clay or bat leather so that's another plus

Trnlmth Arkr Wogeniwir: "Frosttomb the Memory of Ancients":

My adventurer found this sword in the mead hall of a frost giant civ that had been eradicated by a vampiric dragon named Sucacins Doorskewers the Haunt of Bowls and named it because it was so tragic.

This is a finely-crafted size 7.6m bismuth bronze two-handed sword. this object menaces with spikes of superior quality zeolite. On the item is a finely-designed image of a bakeneko in giant cave toad bone. On the item is a finely-designed image of Sucacins Doorskewers the Haunt of Bowls the Vampiric Dragon and Jotunar in green zircon. Sucacins Doorskewers the Haunt of Bowls the Vampiric Dragon is massacring the Jotunar. The artwork relates to the route of The Tours of Vaulting of The Palace of Creating and destruction of Watchfulcopper by Sucacins Doorskewers the Haunt of Bowls in the early summer of 44 during The Rampage of the Vampiric Dragon Sucacins Doorskewers the Haunt of Bowls in Watchfulcopper.

My vampire adventurer avenged the ancient giants by slaying Sucacins using that very same (and very blunt) sword.

This one glove called Oenopassconses "Danceblossomed" sized for nagas and studded with meteoric iron that was the one weapon of choice for the deity old one ruler of an evil empire. It drank the blood of more than 20 goblins

Fathetida, "Dangledsinews": Legendary size 7.6m red steel mace. Encrusted with sand. Well-designed image of soybean plants in enchanted ice. This was the weapon of choice wielded by the frost giant high priest of a storm god's church.

Dasmirzostra "Evenedbalanced": A legendary jute head veil encircled with bands of rectangular bituminous coal cabochons. It has an image of itself in red steel. I like to imagine this as a jute cloth with strands of beads made out of coal that has a shiny red steel mirror dangling from the front.

Sathrameral Nethrezrosnic "Suncrumbles the Labyrinthine Slaughter": Legendary fire glass long sword. Image of tomatillo plant in freezing liquid. Three-pointed star in shellstone. Some elf killed a nightcreature with this.

Tangakgur, "The Spotted Bowel": Legendary amethyst crown. Encircled with bands of rectangular rapagranite cabochons. Hanging rings of giant cave spider silk. Image of a shining sun in marcasite. --> This doesn't sound as incongruous if you take a look at polished rapakyski granite and marcasite jewelery.

Lungukxek "Parcheddrowned": Legendary Elf bone chest that was the symbol of a dwarven king. Made by a dwarven captive in a dark fortress for a demon king.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 12:06:43 pm »

Nobody makes addy weapons because nobody has addy.
Nobody has addy because the game is hardcoded to allow [no] or [cave 1and2] access.

Dwarves never go to the third cavern or lower when genned.  The player has to.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 10:45:26 pm »

If for some reason a dorf fort had surface adamantine, would they use it?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 08:44:31 am »

if a glitch?

no, shouldn't.  I remember reading about ye olde spires of yesterversion that went off into the sky and not reading about addy access.

but if somebody made addy a rare vein of metal instead of a spire?  surr, if they embarked on a site with it.  but then again dwarves can't make armor for other species, can they?
PKs DF Mod!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 08:22:39 pm »

What qualifies an artifact weapon for being interesting? One of mine's found an artifact steel spear (it's REALLY good at getting stuck in things) and an artifact steel crossbow (if the wiki's right, it doesn't shoot any better than a wooden one). The decorations and names are not special, either.

I do have this dwarf bone leggings that I just noticed is called "Youthcancer." Yeah, kids get bone cancer more often than adults do, but how did the game know that?
Artifact  weapons improve attack rolls by the way.

Anyway, I was hunting a cyclops and they had an artifact pike which I took from them mid battle and killed them with it. It was awesome. Turns out they killed a hist fig who was hunting then and took it from them.wonderful little stories in this game :)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com