Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missions.  (Read 615 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Missions.
« on: September 07, 2018, 02:30:51 am »

Do weapons and armor even matter when sending dwarves out on raids?

I know they gain leadership and tactics for doing a raid, but what about weapons etc.. ?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missions.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 04:00:55 am »

Yes. Equipment and skills are taken into account now.
Think someone asked Toady (again) in fotf last week.

--edit
Found it:
It doesn't do the same calculations that it does in in-play battles, as that would be a cpu killer, but it does use numbers based on the edge and impact fracture, I believe, for weapons and armor items that were worn on map exit.  It can certainly be improved, but it can't become much more complicated at the risk of losing speed.  Once we can finally move the camera to view squad battles, this won't matter anymore for the important fort-related battles.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 04:06:04 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:08:48 am »

I've done constant raids under different conditions to figure out the system. On the default setting (stay hidden) you can reliably and safely do raids with wooden swords and shields. Each further setting raises the difficulty and combat intensity, and I'm convinced skills are weighted more than equipment. I've had personal choice dwarves with missing or mismatched equipment surviving constant missions and making kills.
Enemy skills matter a lot and prevent the player from getting a good statistical model. In particular, if there is a demonic archer with grand master observer present on site, nothing you bring is going to be sufficient, but if the strong enemy is indisposed at the time the fight takes place, your entire squad will survive and even recruits have a chance of contributing.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 11:58:33 pm »

Very cool. Thanks.