Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid Interface Question: More Temperature Info?  (Read 525 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid Interface Question: More Temperature Info?
« on: September 06, 2018, 10:02:57 am »

Question - I can't seem to remember how to pull up the temperature of a tile in dwarf mode.

I started on a temperate ocean bordering shrublands and a glacier. Supposedly it had some nice, jagged cliffs conjoining the glacier and the ocean. The 'temperate ocean' is completely frozen over. Wonderful, I thought - time to play with ice. (which I remember from DF2012 was buggy as hell, but supposedly is less buggy now?)

Well, I remember that ice constructions used to melt sometimes (or be lava-proof) and ice furniture would instantly melt. I may be remembering wrong? I did some reading and some testing; ice constructions definitely don't melt anymore, and ice-furniture via mod workshops is...uh, interesting.

Anyways, I set up a number of ice doors (some of which are good a year later) an ice-bedroom (which entirely melted) - and an ice-tavern. The thing is, the order and the fashion in which these things melted is....random and odd. Like, half of a room would melt but not the other-half. Even when all on the same biome.

Now, knowing dwarf fortress, I'm guessing one of two things is going on.

1. Temperature doesn't work at all.

or

2. Toady has some intense mathematical modeling going on involving the temperature of the earth, which posits the atmospheric temperature inside caves as some sort of fixed point, and he has detailed enough modeling that there are hidden temperature winds/breezes going on causing some things to melt and some to not.

Again, knowing DF, its probably both.

But I'm curious to see whats actually going on. I don't think there's any way I can get ice beds to 'not melt'; the only experimentation I have yet to do is 'ice furniture inside but outdoors on the glacier', but I think my dwarfs would freeze to death, so I'm reluctant to try that.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Interface Question: More Temperature Info?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 10:55:40 am »

Natural ice walls melt, even when smoothed or engraved.

probe command may do what you want. Or looking at items left on tiles with view-item-info script/plugin. (I've considered putting them into k-look with an indicator along with bunch of other stuff with my first or second post on this forum, but couldn't be assed so far). Of course, can't look at something that has melted already. Vanilla, you can modify material boiling/melting points in an existing save to precisely figure out temperature in a tile, but it gets tiresome.

Showbiomes may be useful for graphical display of borders of temperate ocean, though you likely need to DL it separately.

I guess sleeping on glacier to be safe, especially if you do have glacier animals wander in or don't have wooden furniture disappear (as fat and wood have same colddam point).

If "cut with a knife" half the room melted, it might be that it checks temperature only on the melted 16x16 map blocks. If it is more random, it might be linked to building/digging in same tile column or spread of temperature forcing an update, but not sure.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Interface Question: More Temperature Info?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 01:34:58 pm »

Try a probe command as recommended above, or if you want to write script yourself, you may use this dfhack's function in lua:
Code: [Select]
      local my_block=dfhack.maps.getTileBlock(x,y,z)
      if my_block then  temper1u=my_block.temperature_1[x%16][y%16] end
(temper1u would be temperature in urists)

Probe will show two tempetaures, temperature_1 and temperature_2. One is "base", the other has influence of nearby fire and similar transient effects. Probe will also show block address, so you will know in which block the tile is locates, which will probably give some idea what's going on. One block is a flat, one Z-level high square of 16x16 tiles.

However, inside of fortress has a stable temperature of 10015 urists (about 8°C), unless there's magma or fire or funny critters nearby, so ice items and buildings should melt. Constructions shouldn't because they don't care. If something doesn't melt even if it should, it's almost certainly a bug or feature (optimisation feature, i.e. calculations are not performed for a while to save CPU cycles).

I have a freezing biome (about -10°C in winter), but the mined ice stones melt too fast for me to even try making doors out of them