Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam  (Read 17301 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2018, 01:33:51 am »

"Marcus Celer. I think I do. But it doesn't have to be that way. Why mourn death when you can celebrate life? You must have countless joyous stories to share and put in words or tones, countless memories of what has already passed to history, countless lessons to pass on to future generations! Some say life is just pointless screaming into a void, but I say it's not a void for as long as one heart keeps filling it with the sound of a heart beating to the rhythm of hope. I guess what I'm trying to say is, life goes on, and it's our job to keep it going on."

((The goal here would be to convince him to let me borrow the accordion.))
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2018, 01:59:20 am »

Although actually I could use a lot less rope if I plonked it down near the finish, but let's assume I'm going to need more rope than that anyway.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2018, 09:20:54 am »

I clip the branch, then head over to the lab to check if the marble can be used as an engram crystal
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2018, 11:54:54 am »

So the objects eventually do sink. I wonder if the field fills in any holes it makes quickly?

Create a hollow wooden pipe out of vine, the a wooden ball that could fit in the pipe. Circle the front in sharp tile wide enough to allow the ball to go through, then jam the pipe through the field and drop the ball into the pipe.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2018, 02:06:09 am »

Myrtrice eyebrows raise, "Laugh at you? You're not nearly interesting enough to laugh at.

She greets the professor without a smile, "I need to make a center of mass measurement on a large block, I was hoping there was balancing equipment, perhaps I'll have to rig something up.

I also need the densities of the marb-stone and the crystal. Do you have a look up table somewhere?

I'm also going to need to build a body capable of carrying around 1/4 the weight of the stone block."

"Of course, you can find all the properties in this encyclopedia. Mars!"

A swarm of papers floats in from a door just around the corner, presumably an office. The encyclopedia stacks itself together, and a snake-line needle with a string attached floats through the air, stitching the book into one whole.
Its pages are blank. But as you turn them the words scroll across the page. The ink seeps out from between the pages to transport itself onto the page you currently brows.

"Mars will help you find the page you are looking for." You sense a spirit. And... desperation.
"What's that?" He asks, presumably the spirit. "Er... white, not pink. I think."

The densities flow forth across the page.

"You need a balance too? Go pick one up from the back storage room."
He tosses you a smiling pair of keys. "It's by the stairs."

He turns to the students. "Now my resident biomancers... the old spirit of the tree tends to be fairly strict with his warnings. I don't know how to handle curses like these. But maybe if you apologize to the spirit, he'll give you back your normal appearance," he starts heading back toward his office.
"Especially you," he says to a girl with sprouts for hands.

The balances and so on are where he stated, although you notice that the stairs have a door at the bottom with a smiling lock. Judging by the way he dodged your last question, it seems he can't be bothered to offer you that kind of help. Press the issue?

I clip the branch, then head over to the lab to check if the marble can be used as an engram crystal

You bring up the shears to clip the branch, but you find that your fingers won't move. Odd? Some sort of spell effect?

Lowering the shears, you find them dropping out of your hand suddenly. Taking off your gloves, you find that all five of your fingers have been transmuted into white spotted mushrooms.

"It would be for constructing an articulated joint setup to be used as an auxillary engine for the entrance exam." said Octavia, looking down to the birds. "I guess I could give it back to the birds when I am done with it..."

She would pay attention to the birds as she said this. If she didn't know any better she would think that the birds could understand human speech.

"Ah... I take it you're a mechanist then? Listen, spirits are a fickle bunch. Their lives are short, and lack purpose once their primary cause has been fulfilled. If a spirit confronts you, and asks you to build a body, I advise you not to build one, because there is no telling what a spirit plans. They have nothing to lose."

The birds chirp enthusiastically.

You head over to the scrap pile, outsite the offices and a fair walk away, deep inside the surrounding gardens. Flying there saves time, till you approach the scrap pile.
Walking up to it, you trip over something. Your feet? You don't see anything.
...You wonder if it's that spirit from before. You can't sense it at all, but something caused you to trip.

So the objects eventually do sink. I wonder if the field fills in any holes it makes quickly?

Create a hollow wooden pipe out of vine, the a wooden ball that could fit in the pipe. Circle the front in sharp tile wide enough to allow the ball to go through, then jam the pipe through the field and drop the ball into the pipe.

[d12: 11] A hollow tube weaves itself in front of you, growing up out of the ground, woven so tightly that it may as well be rigid.

You take the slingshot ball and place it through the tube after jamming it into the force field. It takes some force to jam the much wider tube into the field.
The ball inside rolls all the way through and falls out.

Let's ask the Proctor.

"If I wanted to make a rope as long as this course, plus a bit, from these very convenient vines, would that cause an issue?"

So my tentative plan is to create a wheeled vehicle, some guiding structure, and a whole heckton of rope, and literally just pull the crystal through the course.  Unless I happen to find parts in the workshop!  Seriously I do want to ask after parts for plan A.

The Proctor motions over to the man building tubes and slingshots.
"We're not quite short on materials. Do as you wish."

The rope will be simple to start working with so long as you don't screw up and pull the wall down with you. But it will take some time to make a very long rope and if you mess up you may have to tie it together with knots. Oh well. [You have to pass 4 rolls with your d12 and not get a 1 or 2]

[d12: 8] The first section of rope is complete, and wrapped around your arm. It trails off into a multitude of fibers, which then trail off into rough clusters of vines being pulled from the wall by invisible forces.

"Hmm. May need to add plenty of speed to it to keep it from crashing then."

Finish flying to the finish line, cross it, and head back to start along the same path. This info is good to know, since it means anything that floats will have trouble here. Keep a feeling for the course, spirits.

The most sluggish part is the finish line itself. You feel a resistance as you float past--and promptly faceplant into a force field just before the finish line. It bounces you back like a trampoline.
...So this is a closed tube. The finish line itself is blocked off by the force field. What a dirty trick! You look closer and see crackling patterns emanating from the finish line itself, whose checkered pattern glows warmly. It dims in intensity as it shoulders your gaze.

"Marcus Celer. I think I do. But it doesn't have to be that way. Why mourn death when you can celebrate life? You must have countless joyous stories to share and put in words or tones, countless memories of what has already passed to history, countless lessons to pass on to future generations! Some say life is just pointless screaming into a void, but I say it's not a void for as long as one heart keeps filling it with the sound of a heart beating to the rhythm of hope. I guess what I'm trying to say is, life goes on, and it's our job to keep it going on."

((The goal here would be to convince him to let me borrow the accordion.))

He sets the accordion down on the bench, and sighs.

"I can't argue with that. No use sticking with the past. But these emotions, those given to us by our parents, they've got o serve a purpose right? If my emotions tell me to mourn, I say mourning happens with good reason. No use in keeping that through dozens of generations otherwise."

He leans back on the bench, scratching his beard.
"My wife played this accordion. She kept the spirit that she was born from locked in a pendant. The soldiers recovered the pendant, and that spirit taught me how to play this. But it isn't working the way I thought it would," he explains, sighing at the end.
"Perhaps I ought to lay this to rest. Every note just hurts."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2018, 03:32:14 am »

"Sorrow does have a purpose, yes, and that's to help work through the thoughts involved in loss. But it's not there so you can wallow in it forever, especially if it only causes you pain. Your wife... she must have left you the accordion and the lessons to help remember her by. To not have lost her fully. She lives in every note you play, every word you sing. Maybe not today, maybe today it feels too hard to play, but one day you'll be able to smile at the memories again. I promise."

Marcus suddenly looks morose himself.

"I've... lost some people important to me as well. Their deaths... they made me who I am today. Am I better than I'd be with them alive? I don't know. Am I happier? Hard to say. But the loss inspires me just as much as it brings me down. In fact, if I could show you, if I could borrow that instrument for a moment..."

If he allows it, now would be the time for the game's first musical number, though a rather bittersweet one:

The song starts gentle and quiet, yet somehow hopeful:

"Through the mists of phantom sounds, my voice resounds,
with speechless solos and inaudible rounds.
Wavelengths apart, yet if you strain, you'll hear it ring...

To the ones I cherish dear, oh, can you hear,
through all that silence hanging over your ears,
my final wish: just once with you, once more to sing?
"

Marcus holds the last note for a moment, then suddenly the song bursts into a loud and proud celebration:

"So may the music bring you back to life!
Hitting the notes now, sharper than a knife.
With a fanfare, raise my spirits high,
raise me like a tower to the skies!

Let two lost echoes take a form,
turn a cold sorrow back to something warm.
With one prayer, even when you're gone
Now I swear: your sound will carry on!
"
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2018, 09:16:42 am »

Seeing the person crash into a wall at the finish, and the experiment with the tube, I figure I should make a tube wide enough for my vehicle to travel through as well.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2018, 04:23:03 pm »

Octavia gets back up and continues her previous plans, being a bit more aware of her immediate surroundings to reduce the odds of it happening again. If it doesn't happen a second time then it can probably be ignored or at least forgiven. She had been quite reasonable to the last spirit she met given the circumstances, so if it was a spirits doing it was probably a different spirit. She had more important things to worry about.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2018, 04:36:35 pm »

Music...

Examine the barrier. How is it formed?

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2018, 06:46:27 pm »

I step back away from the bush, then test with my mechanical legs to see if I can knock it down with those. If that fails, I try to grab 2 oculars rather than the whole branch.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2018, 05:15:43 pm »

Interesting, though short of making a 200 meter long ramp I don't think this info will be very useful. I could try the catapult idea though.

Turn some more vines into a yard-long plank of wood, and do a bend test to test the durability. If sufficient, make some more of them.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2018, 07:16:08 pm »

Myrtrice commits the two densities to memory and examines the scale. Will it work with the block in question? If so find some sort of moving drone (they got to have those right) and move the block here.

If I can't find one I'll recruit the kids to help, (if so I'd say: "Would you be so kind as to help me? If you do I will give you something.")

It's time to figure out where the crystal is.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2018, 02:45:52 am »

Myrtrice commits the two densities to memory and examines the scale. Will it work with the block in question? If so find some sort of moving drone (they got to have those right) and move the block here.

If I can't find one I'll recruit the kids to help, (if so I'd say: "Would you be so kind as to help me? If you do I will give you something.")

It's time to figure out where the crystal is.

You example the scale. Though the marble block is rather big, you'd guess that this scale was meant to weigh rock specimens. It's a couple of meters wide, pretty much perfect for what you wanted, assuming it doesn't break.

You could theoretically determine the size of the crystal inside by the overall weight of the block. A helpful spirit runs the numbers for you, and whispers into your ear the weight you'd expect the block to be should the crystal be the same size that the proctor said it was. You're not sure how this spirit became so interested in the exam, but good for him.

That being said, this balance wouldn't seem to work for a center of mass measurement. To do that, you'd need to affix a platform to the central balance point, or perhaps stretch one wide platform between the two baskets on either side. Otherwise, all you have for measuring is a set of granite blocks marked with exact weights, set aside in the closet.

I step back away from the bush, then test with my mechanical legs to see if I can knock it down with those. If that fails, I try to grab 2 oculars rather than the whole branch.

You almost tip over, trying to reach up with your mechanical legs. They were not designed for this. But you manage to kick at the branch and knock it down. It almost hits the muddy dirt--and then hangs still in mid air.

You seem a bit oblivious.

That voice... you can't quite pinpoint the direction it came from. It sounds like a deep-voiced growl... neither male nor female, monotone as if the words are strung together with no regard for inflection.

Killing you would do no good. Do you realize how many students are just like you? Such profligacy is the cornerstone of your wretched city's culture...

Octavia gets back up and continues her previous plans, being a bit more aware of her immediate surroundings to reduce the odds of it happening again. If it doesn't happen a second time then it can probably be ignored or at least forgiven. She had been quite reasonable to the last spirit she met given the circumstances, so if it was a spirits doing it was probably a different spirit. She had more important things to worry about.

The pile of scrap sits unmoved. A flock of the metal birds follows you, chirping as they go. Their movements make it clear that they're scrutinizing your movements. You still can't even hazard a guess as to whether or not they understood.

That being said, there is a fine metal casing on the top of the pile. And lots of gears, pipes, and axles, along with pieces of glass and torn canvas. A lot of the pile is made up of canvas netted over thin steel wires, meaning that there isn't much you could do with it unless you were to refine it further. But the axles and gears should be enough to make a simple steering method, with a long lever for a handle.

(Difficulty: 1xLv.3, 2xLv.2. +3 for masterwork)

Music...

Examine the barrier. How is it formed?

You approach the barrier and watch the patterns in the sparks that form around the base of the red lines marking the lane boundaries. The field appears to root itself to the ground at that point, but air, light, and small particles won't trip the mechanism which pushes objects away from the field once formed. Strictly speaking, the lines on the floor seem to be casting the spell at all times... it doesn't seem to be a spirit, but a sufficiently advanced ignition may be possible, though you aren't too familiar with ignitions in general. Whether they can be stored in a line on the floor is something you ought to discover.

Interesting, though short of making a 200 meter long ramp I don't think this info will be very useful. I could try the catapult idea though.

Turn some more vines into a yard-long plank of wood, and do a bend test to test the durability. If sufficient, make some more of them.

You've already discovered that the vines aren't woody enough to pass as wood. [d12: 9] However, you can make logs instead, and their thickness owes them a certain stiffness. It would take a while to make 200 meters of these logs. But you still have two hours and some.

Seeing the person crash into a wall at the finish, and the experiment with the tube, I figure I should make a tube wide enough for my vehicle to travel through as well.

Never passing up an opportunity to put some else's idea to good use, you figure that a wider tube should work just as well as the smaller tube. Well.

[d12: 5] You try it drawing more and more vines into a woven tube just barely large enough to crawl through. It will take a while to build up a lot of these, but you won't need too many if you simply want to bypass the curves in the track.
You feel a hand on your shoulder from above. It's frigid, to the point where it actually hurts.

"Hey, what are you doing to my track?" asks the ice witch from before. She is hovering in the air, and a watery snake several meters in length, mostly featureless except a large bulb for a head, slithers behind her.

It occurs to you that your tubes are extending into other people's tracks. Given the narrow space available, they might in fact pose an obstacle hazard.

"Sorrow does have a purpose, yes, and that's to help work through the thoughts involved in loss. But it's not there so you can wallow in it forever, especially if it only causes you pain. Your wife... she must have left you the accordion and the lessons to help remember her by. To not have lost her fully. She lives in every note you play, every word you sing. Maybe not today, maybe today it feels too hard to play, but one day you'll be able to smile at the memories again. I promise."

Marcus suddenly looks morose himself.

"I've... lost some people important to me as well. Their deaths... they made me who I am today. Am I better than I'd be with them alive? I don't know. Am I happier? Hard to say. But the loss inspires me just as much as it brings me down. In fact, if I could show you, if I could borrow that instrument for a moment..."

If he allows it, now would be the time for the game's first musical number, though a rather bittersweet one:

The song starts gentle and quiet, yet somehow hopeful:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Borrow? Oh, go for it. You must be be a..."

The first gentle notes begin, and the man listens in silence.

"You're pretty good at that thing. Better than... er, she was."

His spirits seem lifted to an extent. Far from the low-pitched muttering of his depressed self, he seems filled with new energy.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2018, 08:47:40 am »

Octavia decides to try to avoid upsetting the birds too much. The professor said that the metal was for them to create a habitat, so Octavia would take some of the parts that she didn't want to us in order to make a birdhouse prior to actually taking things for herself. It might be a bit silly, but she wasn't completely ruling out the possibility that the birds might even be willing to help her out if they were sufficiently smart.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2018, 10:00:26 am »

No, I wanted to bypass the finish line, not other portions of the track.  That was poorly specified at first, whoops.

"Sorry, this will be out of your way in a moment.  There's a wall at the finish line.
...though actually, given that there's no particular location we need to cross the line in, just that we need to cross it...we could daisy-chain vehicles together...make a straight shot..."

Question to the proctor:
"There's nothing in the rules saying we can't collaborate amongst us initiates, is there?"

Assuming that the answer comes back as I expect it, that there is in fact no ban on cooperating:
Elena wants to get everyone's attention.  She'll settle for shouting loudly.
"Everyone!  We are allowed to cooperate, and I have a plan that will allow all of us to get this test done quickly and efficiently!"

The plan is as follows, if there's buy-in: constructing a straight line of tubing across the course, run a daisy-chain of vehicles, where said vehicles are similar in shape, size, and locomotive method, to a tolerance, through it, tied together with rope.  Like minecarts.  Each rope only needs to bear one cart's force, so breakage shouldn't be a concern, and rolling, or floating for that matter, things are easy to move.  Optionally, construct something ratcheting to make the ramp easier (no slideback), as well.
Once that is done, all we need to do is pull on the rope.  Elena's crystal will be in the last cart as a show of faith.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:47:22 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9