Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam  (Read 17300 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2018, 08:00:14 pm »

She stares at it a bit.

I'll need to take care of this..
.. What was the Spell.. Ah.
"forma subcinctus".

As she holds her staff out and down at the block, a small section breaks off, and forms gentle chains. Part of it flattens, and she insets the Jewel into it, before hanging it about her own neck, beneath her tunic.

Shift Form, a simple spell on such a charged block.

Well, might as well see to the path. Ready, my dear spirits?

She takes flight and heads down her section of the track to the finish. Memorizing the path she takes so to better program the gear later on.

Make sure to check closely as well spirits. We have a goal, and I won't, we won't, fail it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:33:17 pm by TricMagic »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2018, 11:42:58 pm »

"Probably best to start with the most complex part..."

Set out to recruit a choir of level 1 spirits. Four or eight would probably give the best ratio of harmony boost to difficulty organizing. Sixteen if it seems viable.
Get an accordion from the academy's music room (assuming it has one). Consider an ignition to amplify its sound.
Train the spirits in a simple "pull construct forward" composition, noting how quick they are to learn.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:44:38 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2018, 02:04:52 am »

Time for our first official turn.

At the ivy gates to the academy campus...

The Academy of Inberlin was built fairly recently. It is the only city to rival the old cities of the orient in size and in grandeur, despite the late foundation. It was first built after the Architect Wars, when the rulers of Fragment fought to establish the permanence of their ideals, winning as their prize the ultimate victory in some cases--the immortality of their children--and eventually in almost all cases, final defeat. As the children of the architects migrated to new and fallow lands to spring up their own cities and establish refuge, only Inberlin grew exponentially out of the new cities, and so it is apparent that this academy was not built solely for the purpose of teaching students of war, but to provide a community and a place for growth.

It resembles a green tower, ensconced by a pallid slab of magical stone, a dark blue in color. The outer wall of the tower is a transparent, elastic substance that bubbles and sways in the turbulence of high-altitude winds, while protecting the inner structure of terraces and platforms resembling a fungal colony.

At the base of such a structure, the artificers find themselves looking up at the sparkling pinpoints of light that are students levitating their way between platforms. Rows of entrances mark the side walls of every terrace, buildings carved ether into the rocky structure itself, or out of it. Flat surfaces are divided into stone parquet tiles, while curves and irregular shapes are built up from single pieces of glistening stone embedded with thousands of shining pinpricks of light.

The whole structure is settled in what seems like a gentle sloping crater, and more houses are constructed on the inner slopes of that crater. Starting at the ivy gates where you stand, and proceeding a ring around the whole base of the structure, are gardens and hedgerows decorated with flowers in all stages of bloom, lit from above by the glow of the green material surrounding the campus. It seems like it is always daytime here, though the city of Inberlin itself stands outside in the darkness.

On the bottom rung, there is a string of entrances to the well-frequented shops and places. Prime real-estate, it seems, for there are people everywhere dashing into and out of doors. The campus looks rather like a circus from a distance, what with so many students walking and skipping and floating around. Some have wings, some have metal limbs, yet most sport a humanoid appearance, as if parents bestow upon their children an appearance similar to their own.

...it's hard to pinpoint where to start. But if you had to guess where to find a workshop, it would be just up ahead, next to a clockwork statue of a man strangling a wyvern. There are wavegears on wooden racks outside the door of every store, people leaving theirs there before shopping. But there are shops with wavegears on the walls and logo, and there are shops with gears, antennas, circuitry, and all sorts of tools.

Spirits abound in the air. There is a Lv.3 spirit whose purpose is to watch over and report disasters to whom it may concern. There is a Lv.5 hiding in the trees, who warns you that he owns a section of the western gardens, and whomever harms the trees will get seriously hurt. A Lv.6 hovers from person to person, saying nothing but seeking something in particular.

If I can determine the center of mass and I know the density of marble and the crystal I can locate the crystal and chisel and cut away the rest. Obtuse crystal dimensions might pose a problem. "There are no Impurities or irregularities in this marble correct? Also what are the approximate dimensions of the crystal?" She asks a proctor.

I'll use basic components to make a small servant and use wire to supply mana power and control the servant from the starting location. He shouldn't need a spirit if I control him directly.

She starts looking a look up table of densities (with marble and the crystal), a lab with the balancing equipment for center of mass calculation and a workshop to build a small (she might scale it up depending on her success with the block) humanoid servant and enough mana conducting wire to guide the servant the whole way through. Also if she bumps into some nice professors she might want to talk to them.

You notice a group of students wearing splattered aprons and having flowers growing on their arms and heads in various stages of bloom. They lead you (willingly or unwittingly) to a chemistry lab located in the western gardens. It's a quaint, three-story rectangular building with arched windows and a wide porch that spans the whole front of the building. Green lanterns light the entirety of the porch as well as the path through the garden. Behind it is a large tree almost as wide as the building itself, with flowers of different colors on each of its crowns.

The students pass through the door but a Lv. 3 spirit guards the door. Its body is like that of a nutcracker, and it holds a wavegear in its hands that looks like a percussion-cap musket, albeit with a helical gold-colored spiral running down the length of the barrel.

Hmm, Ideas...
Excuse me, does anyone have a ocular device or low quality engram they would be willing to part with?
Leaving for the labs
She attempts to load the spell telekinesis into the crystal, if she hasn't taken it out of the block yet yet, she cuts it out of the block. If it doesn't work, she makes it into an engram crystal.

A middle-aged student walking past you overheard you asking for oculars.
"Everyone's running out of oculars. Someone planted a tree in the garden over in that direction," he says pointing to the gardens on the west. "You might be able to pick a few."

Approaching the professor's offices...

The professors' building is connected to the main campus by a tunnel wide enough for a mammoth, leading through the gardens in the main campus. The offices themselves resemble a half-dome made of clear glass, filled with many smaller domes of black glass. Presumably these are the offices themselves. One would guess that there are at least a hundred offices inside.

An orchard surrounds the glass dome, itself planted with glass trees which shed their branches onto the paths of multicolored cobble. Lv.1 spirits sweep up the glass and push it out to the sides, where metal birds nest in the piles of broken glass and form flower-like cribs for their young, which they build out of scrap picked up from across the city.

Octavia mutters something to the extent of "Well I wouldn't be able to definitively say that but..."

Though the spirit was probably already gone. The professors surely wouldn't have any difficulty with an angry level 2 spirit... But perhaps it would be wise for her to follow up on this just in case. She did have a couple of questions to ask anyway.

In front of the glass dome you notice a mob of the glass sweeper spirits confronting a professor wearing a wide purple dress. They form a waist-height circle around her, chirping some unintelligible noise at her while she converses in clear language.
"I will contact the exterminator when he returns from his trip... well if the monster shows up again within an hour, I suppose we could call the army... it's really probably much less serious than that..."

Meanwhile, inside the Flowering Hall...

Let's try carving out a small section of the repulsors, near the start, and see if they're point-to-point or direction-based.

(Answered your question in the OOC thread)

Attempting simple magic to displace the tiles, you find that the force keeping the red line contiguous and unbroken is too much for a simple spell... you estimate the minimum noise level at around 5 due to the operation of the repulsion field.

You hear the loud crack of a slingshot, and something flies above your head, gouging out a large crackling section of the force field in the process and landing in the seam between two lanes, caught inside a trough between the lanes.

The wall complicates things. Maybe it's elasticity could be useful? Or it could have a limit to how high it goes up. I could check just by throwing something at it, but what?

He looked down at the rope in his hands, and an idea sprung into his mind.

Artifice the rope into a sling, then artifice another length of vine into a ball. Then head back to the barrier and throw that ball as high as I can into the barrier, backing away from the barrier as I watch it fly.

[d12: 8] You shape the cords into a string and flatten one end into a rigid platform. [d8: 6] The ball itself is a solid wood icosahedron, with sharp edges to dispel the force field. It punches right through... and then settles over one of the glowing red lines. It's as if each force field is a tunnel and the ball has landed between them after punching through.

She stares at it a bit.

I'll need to take care of this..
.. What was the Spell.. Ah.
"forma subcinctus".

As she holds her staff out and down at the block, a small section breaks off, and forms gentle chains. Part of it flattens, and she insets the Jewel into it, before hanging it about her own neck, beneath her tunic.

Shift Form, a simple spell on such a charged block.

Well, might as well see to the path. Ready, my dear spirits?

She takes flight and heads down her section of the track to the finish. Memorizing the path she takes so to better program the gear later on.

Make sure to check closely as well spirits. We have a goal, and I won't, we won't, fail it.

[d12: 5] You zoom across the track, noting the repulsive force which Elena and Vallernius discovered prior, and follow the track swiftly for the first 300 meters of winding track. [d6: 1] You come to a stop at the beginning of the 100m final stretch, noting that your flight spells have gotten noticeably weaker toward the end. Coincidence?

Finally, in the spiritual realm...

"Probably best to start with the most complex part..."

Set out to recruit a choir of level 1 spirits. Four or eight would probably give the best ratio of harmony boost to difficulty organizing. Sixteen if it seems viable.
Get an accordion from the academy's music room (assuming it has one). Consider an ignition to amplify its sound.
Train the spirits in a simple "pull construct forward" composition, noting how quick they are to learn.

[d10: 7] You issue forth a signal to all the spirits and let them hear. They seem to be quire receptive to your message of joy!

The proctor is quick to point out that there is a storage room for musical instruments in the back of the Flowering Hall; this area is used for ceremonies after all. You find trumpets, trombones, horns, and stringed instruments, but no accordion. You then hear the distinct sound of one coming from the gardens outside.

An elderly man, clad in regal garments, plays somber tones on a bench, a song of mourning, of a thousand-year life coming to a dreadful end. Two young children have sat down to listen on the bench opposite.

Spoiler: Ignition proposal (click to show/hide)

Your entourage of 8 spirits gathers around the man, one of them asking what you are going to do to him.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2018, 04:50:36 am »

"I need to make a center of mass calculation on a big block, I need to make a small body, I need a colored string and a crystal for programing" Myrtrice asks bluntly.

Since I'm no good at tempestry I'll have to program my servant to follow a wire that I'll lay on the track, I'll probably still attach a wire in the case that something goes wrong.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2018, 06:17:36 am »

Sit down quietly and enjoy the music. Consider the song from a technical standpoint: how skilled is the musician? How high quality is the instrument? Is the song a Composition or simply art?
Once the song is finished, applaud and address the musician:

"So beautiful. What's your name? I just have to know it, talented musicians seem so rare."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2018, 08:30:03 am »

Something is off then.. Hmm.. Let's see what an unreleased spell does.

"Sagitta Magica, Una Aer"

From her is fired a magic arrow, one wind, to travel along the path to the finish. {Tempestry check please}
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:05:59 pm by TricMagic »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2018, 12:03:19 pm »

Octavia figures that the spirit probably falls short of being a monster... But if it was rash to the point of turning aggressive with nothing but a few sentences from her then she felt it would be its own fault if it were exterminated.

She would then ask if there was any scrap metal that would be available for her to use. Failing that... She would consider hunting a metal bird or something.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2018, 04:20:48 pm »

Okay, that bit of exploration done, it's time to get parts.  Into the workshop!

...wait, I have another idea.  How long is the course and how much rope could I make from the vines?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 04:29:53 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2018, 12:08:40 am »

So objects can go through it, even something as simple as a sling can get things through one side. IWhat if something gets stuck into the field?

Craft a meter long wooden spike out of vines and stab it through the field. If it goes through, let go of the spike and leave it embedded.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2018, 01:45:12 pm »

OK thanks!!
Caelum heads for the tree with the oculars and gathers a few, then she heads over to the lab with her marble and crystal. Once there she tries to put telekinesis into the crystal.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 12:59:12 am »

"I need to make a center of mass calculation on a big block, I need to make a small body, I need a colored string and a crystal for programing" Myrtrice asks bluntly.

Since I'm no good at tempestry I'll have to program my servant to follow a wire that I'll lay on the track, I'll probably still attach a wire in the case that something goes wrong.

The spirit, with a twist of its segmented wooden body, turns around. The door in front of you opens, but there is no-one inside.

You hear a fizzling noise come from the nutcracker's wavegear.

Inside the laboratory you encounter the students from before. One of them recognizes you.
"Hey it's you! What are you doing here?," she is short and would be bald, save for the bed of clovers covering her head.
"Is she here to laugh at us?" this one is short, with a perpetually-angushed face and a buttercup sticking out from one eye.

The professor, dressed in the finest purple robe, comes rushing in.
"What have you gotten yourselves into!" he asks the students.
Evidently, they tried to pick eyeballs from a tree in the western garden. The guardian of the trees came and cursed them, and no-one in their dorm knew how to undo the curse, so they came here to the chemistry lab.

You notice specimens of various minerals lined up across the counter to the right side of the room. In the individual shelf-spaces you notice crystals wrapped in bags, vials of powder, and beakers full of fluid and sealed with cork stoppers. Atop the shelf are rock samples, amethysts, gypsum, quartz, gneiss, and schist. You don't see marble.
On the left side of the room are flower samples. The top holds flowers in vases and pots, various hyacinths and gardenias and daffodils, while the lower shelves hold seed bags, vials of extract, and boxes of clippings.

The professor, a stout man with a middle-aged appearance, wears his purplish military robe with pride; he turns to you and a smile stretches across his face. "You've a wary face. Would you happen to be from the practical exam?"

OK thanks!!
Caelum heads for the tree with the oculars and gathers a few, then she heads over to the lab with her marble and crystal. Once there she tries to put telekinesis into the crystal.

You enter the garden area, which features hedge walls and waist-height gates made of golden carbide, opening up into fields of grasses and lilies. In the center of a four-way path you spy the ocular tree itself: though much like an oak in shape, rather than leaves it bears bunches of silver eyeballs in their stead. The eyeballs themselves are contained within translucent sacs, and many of them twist and turn around in their sacs, driven by tiny hairs inside the sac. They respond to light sources, such as the glow-spore lanterns which release limpid floaters whenever you stand nearby. As such the eyeballs of the tree all stare in your direction, though they do not follow your movements as you approach it.

Beside the tree is a rack of garden shears. You pick up a couple and eye a weighed-down branch containing a lot of oculars for later use. Do you clip it? The other branches are a bit too high for someone like you to reach them, but there is a stepladder at the base of the tree.

Octavia figures that the spirit probably falls short of being a monster... But if it was rash to the point of turning aggressive with nothing but a few sentences from her then she felt it would be its own fault if it were exterminated.

She would then ask if there was any scrap metal that would be available for her to use. Failing that... She would consider hunting a metal bird or something.

You ask the professor of scrap metal. She tells you that Professor Claude recently scrapped a project of hers, and set the materials out to be used as a nest by the wildlife. The professor reckons that you could take a bit of metal from the pile, but first asks what it's for.

Metal birds gather around your feet, like the greybirds in your village pleading for food. They seem to take an interest in you.

So objects can go through it, even something as simple as a sling can get things through one side. IWhat if something gets stuck into the field?

Craft a meter long wooden spike out of vines and stab it through the field. If it goes through, let go of the spike and leave it embedded.

[d12: 1] The spike you form does not maintain a point. You find that these wooden fibers are not bad for making rope, but to make a rigid body you would have to recombine the fibers into a form similar to wood.
...Wood actually has a very complicated grain structure. You may be better off using a stone tip instead. [d8: 3] You try that instead by chipping off a piece of tile, and then throwing the properly-tipped spear through the field.

The spear sags there, swaying in the air as if the field is loose, rather than rigid. It does, however, eventually sink into the floor with some resistance.
The field is like an invisible blanket, forced apart by some kind of pressure but otherwise rather flexible. At the same time it seems weak to forces perpendicular to the normal of the plane.

Okay, that bit of exploration done, it's time to get parts.  Into the workshop!

...wait, I have another idea.  How long is the course and how much rope could I make from the vines?

The course is a 100m long sprint to the finish, and then a curving path that is 100m along its longest dimension, but the total length of track you estimate to be around 400m including the final stretch.

The vines make up the whole Flowering Hall; you highly doubt that you'd run out of vines. Not before the Proctor yells at you that is. They seem to be pretty tolerant of property damage though.

Something is off then.. Hmm.. Let's see what an unreleased spell does.

"Sagitta Magica, Una Aer"

From her is fired a magic arrow, one wind, to travel along the path to the finish. {Tempestry check please}

[d6: 5 vs 2] You form a pointed needle with fan-like protrusions on the back. A missile made of mist.

[d12: 9] You then propel it along the final track. It runs at full speed, although your continued involvement is necessary to keep it from slowing by air friction.
Beside the obvious decrease in acceleration due to distance, you don't notice any force decreasing its speed. And yet you fell a drop in the amount of effort it takes to hover over the track. It seems like the effect is only affecting heavy bodies at the moment.

Sit down quietly and enjoy the music. Consider the song from a technical standpoint: how skilled is the musician? How high quality is the instrument? Is the song a Composition or simply art?
Once the song is finished, applaud and address the musician:

"So beautiful. What's your name? I just have to know it, talented musicians seem so rare."

The instrument: Not so heavily ornamented. Its design is plain and simple, made from ordinary wood and mixed in with rough pieces of sintered dust-grains. The keys are a lighter shade of grey, while the buttons were soaked in black before hardening. Its tone is crisp regardless, meaning that its designer probably cared about function rather than form.

The musician: His face shows age, and his fingers show calluses from many types and thicknesses of strings. A veteran he is, for surely someone could get those calluses healed, or perhaps his arm replaced, just about anywhere in this city of freedom.

The music speaks for itself. Slow, irregular polyphonic tones mixed in with a fluid bass trill. Clearly he has skill, either from birth or from a steadfast devotion to the work.

The elder tips his hat.
"Serenius Corvin," he says while still playing. He stops playing after he sees you aren't going away.
"I'm not really, uhm, feeling great right now. Do you understand?"

The spirits jump, some of them form momentary protean bodies, evanescent bubbles enclosing a cracking glow.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2018, 01:16:50 am »

"It would be for constructing an articulated joint setup to be used as an auxillary engine for the entrance exam." said Octavia, looking down to the birds. "I guess I could give it back to the birds when I am done with it..."

She would pay attention to the birds as she said this. If she didn't know any better she would think that the birds could understand human speech.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2018, 08:26:04 am »

"Hmm. May need to add plenty of speed to it to keep it from crashing then."

Finish flying to the finish line, cross it, and head back to start along the same path. This info is good to know, since it means anything that floats will have trouble here. Keep a feeling for the course, spirits.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2018, 12:43:44 am »

Myrtrice eyebrows raise, "Laugh at you? You're not nearly interesting enough to laugh at.

She greets the professor without a smile, "I need to make a center of mass measurement on a large block, I was hoping there was balancing equipment, perhaps I'll have to rig something up.

I also need the densities of the marb-stone and the crystal. Do you have a look up table somewhere?

I'm also going to need to build a body capable of carrying around 1/4 the weight of the stone block."
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2018, 12:55:34 am »

Let's ask the Proctor.

"If I wanted to make a rope as long as this course, plus a bit, from these very convenient vines, would that cause an issue?"

So my tentative plan is to create a wheeled vehicle, some guiding structure, and a whole heckton of rope, and literally just pull the crystal through the course.  Unless I happen to find parts in the workshop!  Seriously I do want to ask after parts for plan A.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9