Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam  (Read 17234 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2018, 01:55:19 pm »

Oh, Sorry. I guess this is your tree, May I have a pair of oculars? I am sure we could reach some kind of agreement
Upon saying this my character steps back and tries to act as non-hostile as possible.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2018, 12:12:06 am »

"There's nothing in the rules saying we can't collaborate amongst us initiates, is there?"

"They are already taking the test, so I don't see why not. It would be cheating if the test were gauging your individual powers alone, but that illusion seems to be lost given the freedom you've been given, yes?"

Oh, Sorry. I guess this is your tree, May I have a pair of oculars? I am sure we could reach some kind of agreement
Upon saying this my character steps back and tries to act as non-hostile as possible.

If this was your goal, then take them and leave. Cut more branches than you need and I daresay you will be missing more than just your fingers.

Octavia decides to try to avoid upsetting the birds too much. The professor said that the metal was for them to create a habitat, so Octavia would take some of the parts that she didn't want to us in order to make a birdhouse prior to actually taking things for herself. It might be a bit silly, but she wasn't completely ruling out the possibility that the birds might even be willing to help her out if they were sufficiently smart.

The birdhouse will take a bit of time. Granted you have a while, but small investments like this always seem to compound into further losses. That being said, arranging the scrap pile to create more shaded areas seems to attract the birds... And that empty fuel tank looks like a good nest box for their metal eggs... you may lose a bit of time over this.

That being said, at the end of it all, the metal birds seem quite happy with your version of the enclosure. They don't gather at your feet anymore.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2018, 12:23:14 am »

"Quite!"

So uh, is anyone with me?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2018, 12:32:46 am »

With the birds as they are, Octavia was confident that the birds wouldn't cause her any problems at this point regardless of their level of intelligence. She suspected that they might even be involved with the whole test in some manner. She hoped that she left a good impression.

Next, she would craft the components for her auxiliary wavecraft drive system for her vehicle here until she got something of satisfactory quality using scrap metal from the pile.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2018, 09:05:20 am »

Fly back to the start and take off a 5 diameter 2 inch thick circle of rock using tempestry, then return to the finish line with it.

This next bit will take a little time to make. I need to bypass the barrier...

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2018, 09:20:03 am »

"Say, I need an instrument to direct my spell-choir in the coming exam. Could I borrow this one? I'm sure it'd be a great honour to your wife's memory."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2018, 09:21:51 am »

I do a small bow, then take two oculars from the tree.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2018, 10:05:16 am »

"Hey!  Person by the finish line!  I'm already planning on breaching that, want to save time and effort and both work on the same thing?  They didn't say we couldn't!"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2018, 05:38:09 pm »

Find a board and a cylindrical pivot and enlist some help to move the block ontop, find the balance point and mark it, repeat this for all 3 this axis of the block, if the crystal is in the center the balance point for all axis will be in the center, if its otherwise knowing the approximate volume and density I can locate the crystal. Basically this will be like calculating the torque of crystal and using the pivot point and volume/density to locate it on all three dimensions.

After this she will take it to a mason and have it cut out and then chiseled down carefully (she'd do this part if needed).
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2018, 12:03:16 am »

Yeah, I'm not going to make a 200 meter long tube out of logs. The cannon idea still has merit though. I could make a wavecraft firing mechanism, encase the crystal in a marble sabot. There's also the quartz pedestal, that could make the cannon itself...

...wait, how do I get the block off the pedestal in the first place?

Well, off the the main campus to find a way to move the block.

Head back to the marble block, then head off to the main campus and search the shops for a wave gear that could help in moving the block.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2018, 04:48:53 pm »

Find a board and a cylindrical pivot and enlist some help to move the block ontop, find the balance point and mark it, repeat this for all 3 this axis of the block, if the crystal is in the center the balance point for all axis will be in the center, if its otherwise knowing the approximate volume and density I can locate the crystal. Basically this will be like calculating the torque of crystal and using the pivot point and volume/density to locate it on all three dimensions.

After this she will take it to a mason and have it cut out and then chiseled down carefully (she'd do this part if needed).

Finding a board would be simple, if this marble block were lighter. Nonetheless this place ought to have at the very least a cart for carrying around large blocks... you find a metal dolly, and manage to stretch it between the two baskets. Piling rocks upon one of the baskets is enough to reasonably bias the scale back to its zero position. Then all that's left is to take a chisel from the workshop and mark the center of gravity on the block... once you get it here, that is.

[d8: 1] As it turns out, moving large objects is resource-intensive. For a spirit that is. Finding a spirit willing to lose a substantial portion of its energy moving a stone brick... worthy of a con artist's work, purportedly.

The spirits are more than willing to help you chisel it down. But moving the blasted thing... you'll need humans to do the job.

...those students with the transmogrified limbs are leaving, looking rather worried. You are skilled in working with biological constructs~~

I do a small bow, then take two oculars from the tree.
I clip the branch, then head over to the lab to check if the marble can be used as an engram crystal

If this was your goal, then take them and leave. Cut more branches than you need and I daresay you will be missing more than just your fingers.

There are many labs. Some are scattered throughout the gardens, others are located places inside the main campus. You enter one of the large, flat sections of the campus to find circular halls spiraling throughout the round single- or double-storied buildings. So many places to go! You find a lab with an open door, having a gear-styled frieze on the lintel. You turn the corner and head inside, when suddenly a halberd swings down to block your path.

Wielding it is a metal suit of armor, standing by the door.

"Let me guess," asks the professor, a young man working at his desk full of little figurines of fairies, horses, people in armor, all encrusted with glowing, flickering crystals.
"New student exam?"

You couldn't really bring the marble with you because your hand got turned into mushrooms. You're not sure if this curse is going to wear off or not.

Yeah, I'm not going to make a 200 meter long tube out of logs. The cannon idea still has merit though. I could make a wavecraft firing mechanism, encase the crystal in a marble sabot. There's also the quartz pedestal, that could make the cannon itself...

...wait, how do I get the block off the pedestal in the first place?

Well, off the the main campus to find a way to move the block.

Head back to the marble block, then head off to the main campus and search the shops for a wave gear that could help in moving the block.

The Main Campus

You head to the area with all the wavegear shops, and walk inside.

There are a lot of wavegears. Cheap ones stacked up against the walls, ornate ones on stands, often hovering on their own above pedestals of chalcedony. The head of the shop, presumably the lady in blood-red robes and dress, hovering in the air while reading a book that turns its own pages. She closes the book as you enter and sets it down on her desk, letting it find a bookmark on its own.

Also present are racks of clothing, in various colors. You aren't familiar with the relation between staves and clothes.

"Hello there, you here to pick one up?" the shopkeeper asks. You reach for your wallet--
"Ah, newcomer? You won't need that." She walks over to one of the racks and picks up a staff. It has a three-headed hydra motif climbing along the upper half of the shaft. Two of the heads curl up around the sides, one to hold the engram crystal, the other reserved for connecting peripherals. The end of the shaft ends in a spike, designed to leech energy from waves travelling throughout the ground. "This one's almost like it's yours. Do you come from a famous family?"

The third hydra head narrows down into a helical antenna. This staff is designed for focused spells.

Spoiler: The stats (click to show/hide)

With the birds as they are, Octavia was confident that the birds wouldn't cause her any problems at this point regardless of their level of intelligence. She suspected that they might even be involved with the whole test in some manner. She hoped that she left a good impression.

Next, she would craft the components for her auxiliary wavecraft drive system for her vehicle here until she got something of satisfactory quality using scrap metal from the pile.

Scrap metal won't do you much good for building a wavegear. There is almost no copper in the pile, and no crystals or other magically-active items. You'll have to go to the Main Campus.

There is a store specializing in crystals. The logo reads "Engrams, Repairs, and Crystals." The shopkeeper herself seems to be busy programming the staff of a student in a long white robe that trails across the floor. His waist-length, braided hair holds a scroll tied into the end.

Fly back to the start and take off a 5 diameter 2 inch thick circle of rock using tempestry, then return to the finish line with it.

This next bit will take a little time to make. I need to bypass the barrier...

[d12: 10] You take your perfectly-round hockey puck of marble, and float over back to the end. You notice that your flight hasn't degraded this time, so long as you hold on to that piece of rock. You are able to fly freely.

"Quite!"

So uh, is anyone with me?

The mage with the ice powers looks a bit puzzled, yet in the mischievous, scheming sort of way. A couple of other students flock to your idea, a good mix, but not all of them. In fact therein lies the key flaw in your plan, as one points out:

If one student does not consent to his lane being obstructed by this track-spanning machination, who will force him to comply? Clearly there are a number of students that disagree, for example the guy wearing full plate and the girl with the metal flower.

"Say, I need an instrument to direct my spell-choir in the coming exam. Could I borrow this one? I'm sure it'd be a great honour to your wife's memory."

You ask the old man. The spirits cheer you on.

"Well shucks, it seems they like your music better. I can't say no to someone heading out and sharing her story. Go on."

You've got the low-level spirits you need, the plan of action, and the music with which to orchestrate it all. Time to get to work!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:39:57 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2018, 05:02:47 pm »

"Okay, what would get you all who aren't, on board with this plan?  And if there's nothing that will, how can we stay out of your way?  I fully intend to get everybody who'll let me, through this thing."

There's also "go under the track", for that matter...

I'd like to (have somebody) excavate a small portion underneath one of the lines, probably from the edge of the track, and see if the field expands downwards.  Oh!  Or just "go around the track and come back in on the straightaway"
...for that matter, just coming onto the track at the straightaway should work, since there's still no rules about having to travel on the track!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:22:15 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2018, 05:10:23 pm »

Octavia takes a moment to consider what she brought with her. No mention was made of money or anything in this game?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2018, 02:53:14 am »

Myrtrice approaches the students, "I can help you if you would help me."

Figure out what their issue is.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2018, 03:38:19 am »

"Thank you. This is going to me amazing."

Without further ado, Marcus moves back to the track to build his construct:

First, he cuts it into a disc-like craft as previously described.

Second, he ignites four Wind Columns: one large one on the bottom for levitation, three small horizontal ones on the edge, angled to spin-stabilize the construct's flight.

Third, he asks his choir to enter the construct and begins to compose and train commands for the spirits to move the construct along the six degrees of freedom by pulling and pushing (in that order of priority) on the ground and the rudders.

Fourth, if no problems have arisen thus far, he attempts a test run of the track.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9