Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament  (Read 2920 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament
« on: September 04, 2018, 09:08:06 pm »

Welcome ladies, gentlemen, beasts, Immortals, Gods, Buddhas, Devils, and all the others! The 304th sensational once in a millennium crafting tournament! This time we have gathered 3 to 5 beings (Gods and magic tranquilizers willing) to compete in making the best magical trinket, medicine, weapon, armor, or honestly whatever the hell they want really. Through the use of many sub-dimensions and a hint of accelerated time enchantments we will be providing everything from the simplest elder dragon core or billion year old booze, to the rarest of ingredients such as a blade of grass grown on a world completely without magic or a herbivore rabbit!

The catch? Well they have to collect the items themselves. Though it isn't like we haven't gathered those capable of doing so. With that in mind we have laid down some ground rules so we don't end up with overlapping tournaments (such as our third which is still ongoing and we expect to finish sometime after our 1000th tournament). There will be 3 parts to our event. Each part will contain three steps of gathering, material preparation, and creation. The contestants will be provided with up to a decade of gathering, a year of preparation, and a day of creation for each piece they want to make during that part. Now most of us don't want to spend that long so we will be using the previously mentioned time enchantments to speed it up from our perspective (yes we are using them for the third tournament, don't ask). Now, lets introduce our 'guest' contestants!

Spoiler: The Crafters (click to show/hide)

Character Introduction Pre-turn
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:11:03 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament (0 of 3 to 5 Crafters)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 09:51:26 pm »

Wow. I haven't seen you in a while. Still like playing mafia?

Name: Sankis the Dwarf
Race: Dwarf
Tool: Pickaxe
Description:
-Sankis was a mortal dwarf inventor, a master of clockwork and devices of all sorts, an engineer without peer. Then the god Gai-gen choose him to be his representative among the mortals, granting him a gift of immortality, along with a staff charged with Gai-gen's own power and an amulet that enhanced creativity. As it turns out, immortality lasts a long, long time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:55:36 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament (0 of 3 to 5 Crafters)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 01:04:31 am »

Yeah, I did disappear there for a bit. Mostly a factor of not having a lot of free time at my computer. Forums are not that fun on a phone. Besides that while I still like things like Mafia my current work schedule is too unstable to make things like that viable. I am only attempting this because I am putting a hard limit on the turn count.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament (1 of 3 to 5 Crafters)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:06:34 pm »

So I am getting a 'not interested right now' vibe

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 06:29:53 pm »

I'm interested! Just gimme a moment to get my sheet up.

Name: Erin Quill, Magitechnician and Arcaniturge
Race: Human/magic cyborg kinda?/metal wood robot/I don't know
Tool: Erin's converted barn workshop. Already large, bigger on the inside, with a wide variety of tools and a nice big wall to paint blueprints onto.
Description: (under construction, may be a day or two)
Erin Quill is Inspired. That is, he's a mad scientist. To be honest, though, that's one of his lesser-used abilities.
Erin is also a Technomancer; he can take the type of magic that he uses to power his mad science and turn it into other types of magic. His abuse of this started when he came up with energy crystals, and changed his magic into a solid form, and used these crystals to power his creations; he later managed to shape these crystals into being the creations themselves.
Erin managed to access a universe made entirely of magic. The ground, the air, the souls and gods, all made of magic at the atomic level. Once Erin realized this, he - simply put - had a field day. He turned a lake into liquid fire, a roiling pit of sand, a pillar of crystal. He continued to use his Technomaning powers to create his myriad devices, but now, he would make them out of materials shaped out of raw magic, as with the world he had visited.
Erin's immortality doesn't have to with this stuff - "arcaniturgy", he calls it, the working of magic - but rather with the fact that he's used some of his creations to sustain his body, replaced any limbs that don't work well enough with prosthetics made of ironwood, and added a recording chip into his brain, so that if his head is damaged enough to kill him, his mind (and, by the power of magic, his soul, too) will get uploaded to a supercomputer in his workshop until he can rebuild a new body.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 12:02:00 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 06:42:11 pm »

I'm interested! Just gimme a moment to get my sheet up.

Wow. I haven't seen you in a while. Still like playing mafia?

Name: Erin Quill, Magitechnician and Arcaniturge
Race: Human/magic cyborg kinda?
Tool: Erin's converted barn workshop. Already large, bigger on the inside, with a wide variety of tools and a nice big wall to paint blueprints onto.
Description: (under construction, may be a day or two)
haha I see you copied from Fallacy's post :P

Anyway,
Name: Ravana the Bodhisattva of Strength
Race: Kind of an oni thing.
Tool: The Hammer of Sunyata
Description: literally just the demon Ravana
I like Ravana, okay
but this time he's a bodhisattva, don't question it

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 06:55:51 pm »

Damnit *facepalm*

I'm on my phone, so I wasn't able to highlight just the character sheet from the main post. I hadn't noticed I'd pulled Fallacy's comment as well as his sheet. :/

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament (3 of 5 Crafters)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 11:05:49 pm »

Wonderful, with 3 people in now I will wait a couple of days then if we don't get anyone else start the show.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
Re: Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament (3 of 5 Crafters)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 12:41:52 pm »

Name: Marlene the dressmaker
Race: human
Tool: workshop in a box, contains her boutique and a small smithy.
Description: Marlene was a simple dreesmaker until one day she found a unicorn corpse and decided to use  it's leather and hair as material since then she travelled the world searching for others interesting materials to expand her craft.
Her most famous creation was a dress for the fairy queen Ophelia made of the wings and skin of her enemies, Ophelia granted Marlene eternal youth and inmortality as paymemt for it.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament (4 of 5 Crafters)
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 09:52:58 pm »

Name: Cacaw The Wondrous
Race: Ravenfolk, or also known as Kenku
Tool: Bionic Hydraulic Multi-tool Graspers attached to the Bird’s Spine (Bionic Graspers, for short)
Description: Many make fun of the Kenku race since they can’t fly and can’t speak because they gave the bird to their Raven godesss, but Cacaw was a extraordinary crow-man who was both a practitioner of the Occult and a 200 IQ Tinkerer, and because how Corvidae can store a lot of neurons inside their heads it’s no wonder that Cacaw was a master of collecting shiny things and making wondrous birdlike inventions, the most magnificent demonic communer for his Occult work and the Crow through his sly cunning of a bird allowed him to trick a devil lord into a contract for the immortality of Cacaw in exchange of the powerful Surtr but it was a knockoff instead, and the contract bonds Cacaw into eternal immortality!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 10:09:10 pm »

Okay, that is everyone. I have a little college work to finish but then I will get everything started.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 01:10:01 am »

Okay, folks! We have collected all 5 of our crafters so Let's do a little bit of an intro for you all! First up we have Sankis. He’s a dwarf. I know right? Crafting competitions and dwarves go together like beer and dwarves! Anyway, the interesting bit about him is he is a God’s Chosen. That’s right, we have Gai-gan’s own here today personally to try his skills against our other competitors. He was actually the first to show up and arrived a full decade ahead of time with just the clothes on his back, a staff from his God, an amulet also from his god, and oddly enough a pickaxe. Believe it or not he chose the pickaxe as what he would bring with him during the competition. Odd as he is in fact a master of clockwork and an engineer without peer. Anyway, can we have a round of applause for our brave dwarf!

[The audience claps and a few observant people notice Gai-gan in the God section looking proud]

Next to arrive we have Erin Quill. Once a human and after years of self modification something beyond that. Held together only by the sweat of his brow and the magitech of his own making he will be our first cross-dimensional competitor introduced this round! This mad scientist with a skill for converting between different types of magical energy really came into his own when he pierced the veil between worlds. Now why is he here? Simply put he annoyed someone he shouldn’t have. The wonderful playground he found, a realm made entirely of mana, was in fact a sub-dimension to this one. A God of magic was cultivating it to test some theories. Now Anulap didn’t really mind him messing with the realm. However he polluted over ten millennium's worth of research. By entering the realm he introduced non-magic based material to the realm in an uncontrolled manner. To make up for this and not be cursed to lose all magic he is here to win the tournament and gift the prize to Anulap or at least that is the plan. Seeing as we brought his lifeline and key to his immortality here in the form of his entire workshop he will need to think of something or it might be lights out for him! Can he make it? Who knows but let us have another round of applause!

[More applause]

Now for an odd guest. Another dimensional traveler and this one even from an alternate dimension at that! We have Ravana the Bodhisattva of Strength. Apparently this title is an odd one for him to have. Honestly, this is a bit of a wild card contestant for us. Literally as he was randomly summoned because we wanted something different. He is some kind of Oni thing with ten heads and more arms than I can bother to count. The tool he got summoned with is called “The Hammer of Void” though he insists that doesn’t really encompass what it is. Says they call it “The Hammer of Śūnyatā” but our translation spell keeps auto-correcting it. As a compromise we ended up just naming it “The Hammer of Sunyata”. He sort of wants to get back to where he is from. An understandable goal and winning might just give him that. Though don’t worry, we aren’t just kidnapping people for the competition. Our ritual pulled him here during a malfunctioning teleportation which would have scattered his soul and essences across the ether. So let’s have a round of applause and cheer for him to get home!

[Lots of applause and some of the odder folks with a strange number of limbs are particularly loud]

Our next competitor arrived a week ago. Welcome the well-renowned dressmaker, Marlene! Famous for the dress she made for the Fairy Queen Ophelia. Crafted with the greatest of care from the Queen’s fallen foes. In fact, we have Ophelia herself over in the fae corner right now! Please be a dear and fly up so we can show off your dress for all to see! Okay, thank you for that and thank you for bringing Marlene to our attention. That’s right folks, another guest! Both the most boring of ways to get into this competition and the way we get some of our more interesting competitors. Will she just be filling in a slot or will she impress us? For her tool she brought a top of the line boxy workshop! This one modded to not only contain her boutique but a small smithy as well. Let’s all cheer her on, it is always nice to have home-grown talent win!

[Cheering can be heard, especially from the fae and human sections]

Finally, an odd one! Let’s all welcome Cacaw the Wondrous! A Kenku prodigy with a genius IQ and some bionic graspers grafted onto his back. This guy has tricked a Devil Lord into granting him immortality. Can this practitioner of the occult win out over the others? Hopefully, they don’t try to make any deals with him or things might end quickly. A final round of applause then!

[There is applause but over it all the sounds of all the beastkin roar and cawing is heard]

Now let’s get this party started! Now for the first round of gathering. How about we go down to our competitors and ask them were they would like to go?

((Describe where you want to gather from what you are gathering, and how. Where is required and will be rolled. What is also needed but the gathering of it is not. However, describing the gathering can positively affect your chances of gathering what you want. Oh and please don’t just say you want to gather from a ‘real’ place. While it might be fun to try to gather the molten remains of the One Ring from Mordor, this is a competition on creativity.))

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 06:56:23 am »

Spoiler: Year 1 (click to show/hide)

Every turn is supposed to last a year isn't it?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:39:33 pm by ziizo »
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 10:39:47 am »

>Is here because I angered a magic god
Was not expecting that, lol. To be honest, the character as whole is based on an idea for a character to play as for Genius: the Transgression (where I got the "technomancy" term for the changing magic type), with Creation (the setting of Exalted) being the world made of magic that he got access to. :P

Anyway, for memory's sake: wood, fire, earth, metal, water.

Spoiler: Turn 1 (click to show/hide)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 12:45:42 pm »

Spoiler: Year 1 (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3