Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament  (Read 2915 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Once a Millennium Crafting Tournament
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 12:56:20 pm »

Every turn is supposed to last a year isn't it?
((A decade to gather, a year to prepare, and a day to create. Preparation can be anything except putting together a final product. For example while you could forge the sword completely in the creation turn you could also forge the blade, craft the hilt, form the handle, and prepare the leather grip during the preparation then use the creation turn to put it all together. Also while the announcer didn't mention it since you specifically asked))

Audience! We have a question from one of the crafters and that allows me to unlock an option for them. Such a simple question as well, just asking how much time they had. In case you missed it they had a decade to gather, a year to prepare, and a day to craft. However as many contestants have pointed out in the past some things just take time. A good booze can take decade or even millennium to mature. For such instances we provide a special service. If you have a product that needs to mature without outside intervention we can provide that! Once that is. At any point during the preparation or creation steps you may have something matured, age, or otherwise left unattended for extended periods of time in almost an instant for time periods of less then a millennium, longer periods can take more time. Remember you can only ask for this once during the whole competition.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 04:08:51 pm »

Spoiler: turn (click to show/hide)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 09:37:21 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 1 (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 08:19:06 pm »

Now Audience, let us turn our attention to the magiscreens we will use to display everything! With no particular order in mind let’s start with Marlene. Don’t worry about missing the others as we will temporarily freeze them in time so we can watch each turn in order.

Spoiler: Marlene’s Turn (click to show/hide)

Anyway, Marlene has requested to work a bit in Leizu’s garden! Normally we don’t allow people to visit realms outside of our control but [5] as we are on good terms with her we decided to let it slide. Now in exchange for enough silk for a single dress she was willing to work for a year. How about we get Leizu up here and negotiate with her!

[Leizu stands up in the God section of the stadium to a resounding applause before teleporting next to the announcer]

Leizu - You left out an important little thing from her request. Not only does she want to work in my garden but she would like to work with my Draconic-Silkworms. Now [4] we don’t have that many at the moment. The local Dragons have been a bit docile lately. [5][1] In fact we only have the aquatic variety. The normal ones we had around all decided to self destruct and escape their punishment. This damaged the gardens a little bit in that area so this could cause some complications for her.

Announcer - That is an interesting story but you still haven’t told us if you want her to work for you?

Leizu - [2] I want to use her for a full decade. Depending on how well she does that may earn her a single kerchief of my regular silk or she could end up with enough Dragon-silk to dress an entire harem. I won't accept anything else!

Announcer - Well there you have it Audience, another round of applause for our lovely guest and we can watch how our contender does!

For the first year [1] the gardeners force her to just collect the mulberry leaves to prove her worth. Sadly the whole year is a bust as through no fault of her own a disease swept through the grove. Of course that doesn’t stop anyone from blaming her and keeping here there for 2 extra years. [4] Those following years are incredibly boring. In fact the announcer fast forwards through it. [4] Finally she will be allowed to care for some silkworms, normal divine silkworms instead of the Draconic variety but still a step up. Of course it is hard to do that when there is still a shortage on good mulberry leaves as the disease still ravages the grove. Luckily no one blames her this time. [6] To make up for it the next year she seeks out an alternate source of leaves. In a wild area nearby she manages to find a few lonely mulberry trees. Those leaves not only work but it seems that they were Fae touched and the silk those worms produced shone with a divine rainbow. Up in the stands Ophelia whistles innocently. The camera zooms in on the announcer and with a cocky grin he give a big ol wink. Luckily Leizu doesn’t care about this and counts this discovery as being worth half a dresses worth of Draconic-Silk. The sixth year they decide to let her work with the Aquatic Draconic-Silkworms. [4] Luckily by this point the leaf supply is good and she remembers to also feed them algae and fish. [1] Though that doesn’t help her with drying them as the silkworms seem to be actively working against her. In fact one of them struggles so much it ruins the thread. Leizu was tempted to take back that half dress of silk but instead penalizes her by invalidating the previous years care. With three years left Marlene will have to try her best. [1] That wasn’t good enough in the eight year though. In fact Leizu stage whispers to the announcer that sometimes the Draconic-Silkworms just don’t like a person and nothing can change that. Then she smirks and says that “Maybe Marlene shouldn’t have been so cocky as to attempt a divine task. It isn’t like she is some demigod” Then she waves over at Hercules and yells that she might have another task for him if a certain someone wrecks everything. While this is going on another year goes by and nothing bad actually happens. Marlene might have earned some silk for it if anyone had bothered to pay attention to it. [6] Luckily the final year doesn’t go badly. In fact the most recalcitrant of the Draconic-Silkworms takes a liking to her. With a smirk not only does Leizu grant her another half dress worth of silk but also gifts her the reincarnated Dragon’s soul as she doesn’t want such a pair to be seperated. Marlene will now have to take care of a Dragon egg.

[The Announcer claps]

Announcer - Wonderful! Who doesn’t want a Dragon? Now next up we have Erin Quill!

Spoiler: Erin Quill’s Turn (click to show/hide)

He had what at first thought was an average request. He wanted a forest. The catch is he was being quite literal. Not just the ability to traipse through one or even just all the trees in said forest. No! He wants the entire gosh darn thing! Preferably a magic forest as well. Luckily we have a few of those in storage. Now let’s see what kind of forest he gets. The forest part is simple enough as we have as close to an unlimited number of them as we care to think about. Instead how about we figure out what type? Eeny, meeny, miny, moe… [6] THIS ONE! Oh nice, we have an oddity here. In fact it is automatically magic. While every forest is a study in life and death to some degree this one takes it to the extreme. Half the forest is an extreme jungle. Constantly expanding but kept in check by the other half. Now some of you are thinking swamp. Those are a popular location for death magic but no, that isn’t enough to restrain that mess of a jungle. Instead we have a petrified forest! A whole area of once trees, towering pillars of rock left as testament to what once was or rather that is how they normally are. This one though is the result of a death curse of some sort. Our scholarly types assume someone used a basilisk hatchling to cast it though we aren’t quite sure. Didn’t stop us from scooping up the entire area into a subplane for later. We went with a sphere shaped plane for this because it makes a nice pattern. Like one of those yin yang symbols though without the dots. Each area has a center and they are slowly rotating around each other. Constantly trying to overwhelm the other. These forests had previously taken over an entire planet though now a good bit more restrained. Now your going to wonder, Erin wanted a unaligned magical forest right? And you would be correct, luckily there is a nice sized band of stabilized magical forest at the tail of each were the death and life magic balance eachother out. Let’s see what he makes of this!

Looks like he wants an absolute ton of ritual chalk. It seems he wants the entire thing and not just parts of it! This might take just a squidge of time. [4] Okay fast forward a bit and stop. Seems it took him just under 8 years to mark out one of the bigger rituals Some of the areas might have smudge slightly with time but overall it seems to have worked out for him. Now he seems to be going to use his workshop. [4+1] After a quick check nothing was damaged from the abrupt removal by god it had experienced. [6-1] Now the ritual has started and things seem to be working just fine. The entire forest including the magical centers have disconnected from the dimension proper. [4+1] Now the magical formation he has drawn out has fully activated. The smudges tried to short out but his equipment in the workshop correct it for it. Quite a sight, an entire forest slowly shrinking and warping. [4+1] I can’t believe him. This is the most complex ritual in attempted in the last 10 competitions and it is going off perfectly. Slowly the entire forest is being drawn into his workshop. One final step [5] and he aces it! Everything is wrapped up and all the ley lines were perfectly preserved. He now has a complete magical forest that embodies the concept of Yin and Yang, Life and Death!

Announcer - Okay, surface things like a forest are nice but what might Cacaw want? He is a bird after all so maybe a special type of cloud?

Spoiler: Cacaw’s Turn (click to show/hide)

Nah, he wants to go to the Underdark in search of ores, gems, and most importantly Eldritch artifacts! Now he did want to do some intermediary crafting of things like night vision goggles and a universal translator. We respect his get up and go with crafting but then firmly yet kindly point him to the bin off the side of the stage. I am sure you all wondered how he would make his gadgets in a completely dark spot with nothing but the clothes he is wearing and his graspers. Sadly this challenge will evade him as we provide translators and some other basic equipment. Anyway turn to the screen and we can find out were he gets placed! [3] Notice those formations there? He isn’t exactly in some abominations backpocket but that could limit his options. More from the giant lava sea. I guess he won't have to worry too much about the dark to start! [4][5] Luckily though there is a deposit of gold in his back pocket with some titanium a few hours walk away! [2] Gems aren’t looking plentiful at all though. In fact [1][3] rubies are completely nonexistent in this part of the underdark and the only topazes are complicated.

Once he is in place the Kenku gets to work right away. Quickly draining a nearby goblin tribe of blood he [6] manages to summon an unending supply of imps, quite literally. He probably should have checked the goblins for any bloodlines as it seems at some point an angel’s bloodline got mixed in. Now there is a portal constantly spewing imps. Luckily a convenient lava lake is nearby if there is ever too many on hand. As long as he doesn’t end up destroying that portal this sub-plane will likely become quite a hot ticket in a future auction! The imps are right away put to work creating his base and exploring the surrounding area with the local resources quickly being found. That includes the lava serpent nest in the magma sea. Not exactly something you can bargain with. Luckily plan B of sending imps at it has become supremely optimal. A base quickly forms in the first few months and has quickly advanced to having electric lights and such within the first year. Cacaw no longer having to mind getting more minions can focus on mining. [3+1] Being moderately successful, not exactly pave the roads level of gold but it should be enough for a few projects or a few attempts. [1+1] The titanium though isn’t going as well. He mined as much as he could but the vein quickly ran out and was generally of poor quality. [6] Luckily were the titanium ended a deposit of gems started. The topazes to be precise. Cacaw might be swimming in them but that undead horror swarm is really cutting into his imps. After he is done with the place a good platoon of light priests will take care of that but as is not much can be done. [2] In fact the rest of his time there is spent pushing them back. Trying to anyway and so he doesn’t get much processing on his ores done.

Announcer - Exciting that, got the undead out of the way! So next is Ravana.

Spoiler: Ravana’s Turn (click to show/hide)

Oh and I was lying about being done with the undead. Ravana wants to go tomb raiding in our oldest of tombs, crypts, and temples! Seeing as they mention wanting to raid across a myriad of worlds we will give him a year in ten different burial grounds to hunt for him materials. [6] Or that is what we had planned to do until someone reminded us of a convenient little plot of land we keep around. It is the crypt of a multiverse! Everything must end but sometimes even that must go. Anyway his starting point is in a regular graveyard area without any undead or curses. Both good and bad as it will provide well for him but only the lowest of mortal remains. Farther afield she will find the good stuff though.

As Ravana travels across a continent sized graveyard they find a few hundred temples to raid. [3] Though only a hundred true ascetics were found and then only the bones. Everything else long reduced to dust. Finally though we get to a more interesting area. An ancient sect of cultivators needs to be cracked open by him. [1+1] Though even with that hammer only the seals on the outer sect area can be broken into. A pitiful handful of remains are there. In fact if it wasn’t for his hammer I know for certain that a powerful curse would have stricken him. Anyway next in his path is an old burial ground of a tribal nation. [6-1] Not exactly the stoneworking sorts. Honestly this is almost like cheating. He is just ripping those bodies from the ground. That is some nice bead work. [6-1] Luckily his hammer casts away the angry dead spirits and so lets him continue his plundering and he manages to gather his thousand eyes and skeletons.
Announcer -  Huh, I guess I didn’t lie about the undead? That was unexpected. So, last up is our dwarf, Sankis!

Spoiler: Sankis’ Turn (click to show/hide)

He was a bit excited about this prospect to say the least. His request was actually a bit hard for us. [3] In fact because we don’t really know how souls are made we don’t exactly have a place available were they are literally made by the sun. Instead we had to settle for a land full of spiritual energy and many loose souls to provide a chance at finding Soul Gold. You can just feel the disappointment roll off of him. Not for long though as there is a mountain to mine. [2+1] Though right away he can tell this isn’t exactly a gold mine though he does find some Soul Copper. Seems the idea of finding gold in a stream might have been a better idea. [2+1] He is working his way up. After a couple of years he finds another Soul Metal. Silver this time so not he should find gold next right? [5] Oddly enough that seems to be true as he gets to spend his last year mining the thing he actually came for.

Announcer - So to wrap this up none of them died! Not that any of them can really ‘die’ but still. The lack of lost limbs is boring. Whatever, Marlene got a dress worth of Draconic Silk and a dragon egg to take care. Next Erin Quill got an entire forest magically contained in his workshop. Then Cacaw learned to check bloodlines before using them in a sacrifice as well as getting all the gold he could want, some titanium, and a boatload of topazes. After that Ravana looted an ancient burial ground for a thousand sets of bones and eyes. Finally Sankis managed a plethora of Soul metals including copper, silver, and just enough gold that he probably has enough! Next up we give our contestants a year to process all these goodies!

((For this step you are provided with a decent crafting station for what you want to do. Anything special will improve the product but might not be available. Describe what you want to do and as long as you don’t complete something you should be fine.))
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:38:41 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 08:10:27 am »

Spoiler: turn 2 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:45:38 pm by ziizo »
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 10:16:44 am »

Spoiler: Build Turn 2 (click to show/hide)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 02:30:29 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 2 (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 09:15:41 am »

"I, Ravana, find this result adequate."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"I, Ravana, am also traditionally depicted as a male, but I, Ravana, am not particularly fussed about it. I, Ravana, can roll with whatever I am called."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 10:12:12 am »

Do we need to process stuff this turn?
Could I go gathering some more instead?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 07:03:31 pm »

((No you can not go out and gather more as that would defeat the purpose of the gathering turn. You could always choose to do nothing but I can see a number of things already you could mess around with and I will mention 2 of them. That forest has two extreme points of magic, maybe you want to try and mix things up so it is more homogeneous or in some other way prepare it for later. Second is you have already used a giant formation, maybe you could set up another for future use so you don't have to roll for it then if you succeed.))

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 09:27:29 pm »

Eh, fair enough.
Hmn... what to do...

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 10:26:08 pm »

((Sorry for taking so long to get this up, work got a bit hectic))

Okay audience, moving onto the first prep step! They only get a year to square things away so not as much fast forward on this. Hopefully this will let the those of you less powerful types actually see what is happening. First up is Marlene!

Spoiler: Marlene’s Turn (click to show/hide)

She looks a bit worried but don’t worry, you still have two more times to go out gathering! Anyway she basically is just planning on storing the silk she got. After that we have a nice montage of taking care of the dragon egg. [2] Though she doesn’t quite seem to get it at first. [5] But halfway through the year it finally dawns on her that the egg is probably for a water based dragon and she finally unwraps if from a pile of blankets and submerges it.

*Sigh* Well next up we have the Kanku Cacaw! Maybe his work will be more exciting.

Spoiler: Cacaw’s Turn (click to show/hide)

Cacaw gets to work right away. First step for him is to actually make the alloy he wants [1] and immediately wastes half the titanium and a portion of the gold. It seems the out of control demonic blood ritual wasn’t entirely a good thing for him. While he did everything right the final mixture started smoking and with screams blaring out. Finally the whole mass evaporates away. [1] This sets off the topazes. He manages to [5] save most of them and the rest of his metals with a quick purifying ritual. Deciding to try something a bit less volatile next he then prepares all the extra gold into a giant circle kilometers in diameter. This slowly evolves into a hollow sphere with some gaps revealing the hollow center. [2] Going back to the alloy at this point and he seriously starts to wonder if he is cursed somehow. While the metals alloy it doesn’t come out quite right at first. [2] The metal is currently soft like clay. He ponders on it and believes that the corruption and follow up purification has removed something important from it. Sighing the Kanku then proceeds to work on the topazes. [1] More failure greets him in his metalwork. It seems that the gems were even more corrupted as all but a handful crumble to dust. These final ones though [6] are of exceptional size allowing him to carve them perfectly. The very center of each of the five gems are all that remains uncut. Though only because they are uncuttable with his current tools. He examines them only to find out that they have a really dense angelic aura to them. The five topaz cores seem to be the remains of some powerful angel or similar being. With dread he turns back to the alloy mass. After studying it for almost all the remaining time [6] A plan forms in his head. If this mess was formed from removing a demonic influence maybe some angel will fix it! ((I roll not for success or failure but the number of cores used)) [2] Using 2 of the cores he slowly roast the mess in his smelter. Slowly over the remaining few months the cores lose their color and the essence seeps into the alloy. Finally he ends up with just a bit more of the alloy then he needed. However the metal is a bit holy at this point.

That was exciting so now onto Sankis. Let us view how a dwarf smelts his metals!

Spoiler: Sankis’ Turn (click to show/hide)

Time to watch Ravana play with his bones and eyes. He seems to first be splitting up his haul. A quarter of them seem to be placed off to the side for later. The next quarter however he [4] grinds into a fine powder. It might have a few chunks in it and the eyes didn’t quite turn to dust as much as he would have liked but there it is. Then with the remaining half he [4] tries to arrange it in a fractal helix. He manages to get it to interlock in a slightly mind bending way though not quite as infinite as desired. Also while he optimized it for the flow of essence there are a few bumps in the road. Not bad mind you, but not perfect. [6-1] To finalize it he smacks the table with his Hammer. The structure opens up and disengages from one another while moving outward. They hover in place so that they can slide back inward to the original configuration. Now the inside of the structure remains open for further construction.

Time to look in on the final guy, Erin Quill!

Spoiler: Erin Quill (click to show/hide)

He seems to want to stabilize the forest. While Life and Death are nice concepts he seems to want something else. [6-1] With the jungle he makes an easy transition. From the concept of Life to that of Wood. Almost interchangeable in some places so it works out well enough. [1+1] The Petrified forest however resists his efforts. While Earth and Stone might seem related to a petrified forest and normally would be this isn’t the case here. Because the source is a curse the whole land has been converted to Death. [3+1] With one changed and the other not things got a little out of balance but he manages to keep things running. However if things don’t change the Death zone will probably overcome the Wood jungle.

Okay folks! The Preparations are all made and we shall see if they have anything to make in the next step. Anyway to wrap up Marlene just stored her silk and tried to take care of the Dragon Egg. Secondly Cacaw had a hard time making his alloy, created a giant gold sphere, carved up some topazes, got some holy cores, and at the very end got his alloy though it is a bit holy at the moment. Next Sankis didn’t get a Magma Forge (maybe next time we can whip one up… or not who knows!), got a lot of Soul Copper, five portions of Soul Silver, a portions of Soul Gold, and then failed at using the Soul Copper to make some tools. Then Ravana set aside a quarter of his bones and eyes, made a chunky powder with another quarter, then created a fractal helix with the remaining bones coming quite close to a truly mind bending structure. Finally Erin Quill tried to modify his forest, making the jungle into a Wood Element area, then failing at turning the Petrified forest into Earth, this caused a slight imbalance which he kept in check but could whirl out of control without more work.

Next step is creation! They can of course use it for more prep if they want as we aren't exactly on the last turn or anything.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 03:38:55 am »

Ravana kneels, head bowed, before the partly-finished structure and spends the entire allotted time chanting an elaborate sutra, marking out a rhythm on the floor with the Hammer. Chi begins to flow and funnel into the structure, and it begins to move subtly on its own. Lightning strikes it from somewhere, occasionally.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 08:01:03 am »

Wondering, how many gathering-type turns will we be getting in total?

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 08:15:33 am »

Marlene just uses the needle to paint the sheet of paper with her blood drawing a red and white floral pattern
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3