Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone else notice semi-constant showers of teeth? (Vanilla, newest)  (Read 2349 times)

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I started a fortress recently, and I'm on year two. At this point, both werebeasts that have attacked me (a were-kangaroo and a were-deer) died shortly after a punch in the mouth. This created an admittedly delightful spectacle as the little white 2s exploded everywhere in a 2 tile radius of the werebeasts, thought it was decidedly less interesting when it resulted in about 20 hauling jobs to the corpse stockpile, causing even my most stress-free haulers some trouble.

Now, I just got a level 10 hunter with my last migrant wave. I didn't notice this until after he had made two kills, and I saw the second one-another shower of teeth. The first had the unmistakable signs of a toothfairy's wet dream leftovers. I read through the reports, and sure enough, first the flying ({silver bolt}) hit the Two-Humped Camel in the teeth, resulting in a toothsplosion, and then the Kangaroo Buck got hit with another one, resulting in the fang-fandango that I witnessed.

It just seems to me that a punch/bolt in the teeth shouldn't make the entire upper and lower mandible simultaneously explode with enough force to send *all the teeth* flying up to two dwarves away. I guess I sort of get the whole aiming for the head and hitting the mouth thing.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:55:21 pm by andrei901 »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else notice semi-constant showers of teeth? (Vanilla, newest)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 08:57:06 pm »

heh teeth are soo quick to fall out in DF.  Is it now too obscene?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 01:26:46 am »

Well, if my haulers are my Section 8 people, and then they all need to see the corpse pile like 3-4 times...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 04:28:13 am »

Please don't say "newest" as readers don't necessarily read the post when "newest" is the same version as it was when the post was written.

Teeth showers have been common for as long as I've played DF, although you seem to have hit the jackpot. The horror value of teeth should also have been reduced considerably, and corpse horror should have been differentiated depending on whose corpse it is.

I don't know if it matters how many times you see the same corpses, but I use a minecart to have them dropped down a hole where I atom smash them to keep any potential horror refresh down.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 05:25:11 am »

Sue me, i find exploding teeth in this game highly amusing. *shrugs*

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 05:40:26 am »

I agree with Astrid on that part - it really adds a nice feel to some combat situations, especially fistfights.

However, it is true that a miriad of small bodyparts, as realistic as it is, does not work well with the rest of the game mechanics. At this point I'm thinking of just adding [ROTS] to bones, teeth and nerves to avoid hauling corpses all together - aside from the ones that died in the middle of the fort.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 05:47:39 am »

[ROTS] to bones? nah nah nah, bones are way to useful.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 06:29:26 am »

Eh, I never really use them personally. It might be going too far, though, if it turns out that bone artifacts will rot because of it.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 07:43:03 am »

As Sver indicated, I assume Astrid has someone else pick up all the teeth? Personally I don't care one way or another about the actual violence, but I hate the cleaning...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 10:09:15 am »

ROTS to nerveous tissue...

*looks in fort*

At present, my fort contains only 1 piece of dog nerveous tissue (checked with enchanched stocks).

I have slaughtered many dogs and other things. They're all kept on refuse stockpiles outside on temperate grassland.

Given the absence of atomsmashing or magma-dumping, I can only conclude that nerveous tissue rots already.

Teeth, though, I concur on. The explosions are kind of cool but they're, barring few humorous cases of ‼teeth‼, only a disincentive to exporting terror or vengeance.

Bone, yeah, depends on playstyle (if you're willing to keep a stock of pets for moods). I may use them to turn embark turkey into crossbow, quiver and bolts to deal with the damned kea, or maybe greaves for military pants.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 10:19:06 am by Fleeting Frames »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 12:04:23 pm »

It's the cartilage which needs rotting or disposal, nervous tissue rots very quickly.

As for bones, the marksdwarves eat bone bolts like candy. Actually, they don't eat candy as much as they eat bone bolts.

It's great for training, especially when mixed with occasional metal bolts (I use them both for training and for fight). Just unforbid the metal ones when the siege comes, they shoot the bone bolts quickly and equip the proper ones.

Teeth are annoying as hell... And unrealistic, I agree. I use autodump to get rid of them (and of bolts shot at the aerial targets, there can be hundreds of them from am encounter with a single giant sparrow).

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 02:24:27 pm »

Yep, that's cartilage, not nerves. I mixed them up.
DF Combat Reworked

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 03:47:43 pm »

I wouldn't mind the showers of teeth if you could use them for something. I can't seem to get craftsdwarves to use them though. Although the UI implies you can carve teeth into crafts or decorations, that doesn't seem to be true.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 03:49:12 pm »

They should become miniatures for dwarves to play tabletop games with.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 04:57:50 pm »

I wouldn't mind the showers of teeth if you could use them for something. I can't seem to get craftsdwarves to use them though. Although the UI implies you can carve teeth into crafts or decorations, that doesn't seem to be true.

Wiki says it only works for animals with large teeth, which means roughly grizzly bear sized or larger.
Pages: [1] 2