Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-in mechanics: Will one kill an FB sitting at the bottom of the magma sea?  (Read 1104 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got an FB camping at the bottom of the magma sea below a magma pipe, and I would like to eliminate it eventually. I know cave-ins hitting anything living will cause it to cease to live, but I also know that cave-ins (and anything else that isn't alive) hitting magma covered magma flows will just disappear. I hope a cave-in will crush the FB first, and then disappear, removing the corpse as well. However, I can imagine some alternatives:
- The cave-in just disappearing, without harming the FB.
- The cave-in crushing the FB and then disappearing, leaving a corpse where none should be, possibly allowing for the next bullet.
- The cave-in fusing as per the standard non magma flow mechanics, crushing the FB and burying the corpse in the process.

Does anyone know? I won't be able to test it for a rather long time, as my fortress is reeling from the constant drain of processing gobbo invaders, so there's never any spare time.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is the forgotten beast standing next to a built item that it, as a building destroyer, it is supposed to be able to destroy? If so, you're experiencing a bug. Forgotten beasts (possibly other building destroyers) can sometimes become stuck trying to destroy a perfectly destructible item. Even if units come by the beast will run back to the door as soon as it has killed them. What I would do is just teleport the beast a good couple tiles away with dfhack to fix the bug and then face the beast normally.

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If magma flows work the same as bottomless chasms when it comes to cave-ins falling into them, then I can say from arena testing that the forgotten beast will be instantly killed, and nothing will be left behind of either the beast's body or the cave in squares. If it somehow is carrying any items, they will be left behind in the beast's square as free items and simply fall down into the flow like any other item dropped from a height.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Mort Stroodle: The FB is sitting at the bottom of the magma sea, and no, I have not built any buildings down there and covered them with magma... The bugger is camping, not trapped. It will presumably move if it finds any magma crabs to munch on, but I would guess it can't get up to the 3:rd cavern again, as I've built a wall to hopefully block fire imps and magma crabs to get out (but gobbo invasions have put any cavern projects on hold indefinitely, so I haven't had time to cover the pipe).

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

Did this beast attack any crabs already? I'm asking because FBs usually(*) can't see in magma, so even if they can path through it (and most of them can't) they would probably remain inert as long as submerged. Anyway, applying some gravity should resolve this problem.

*)none of them can in my world

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

As a point of curiosity, what is your FB made of?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As a point of curiosity, what is your FB made of?
Clear glass. Not that it matters, I think, as they're all immune to the killing heat. I've got another FB who spews fire but is organic, and it has bled away all fat, so they're not completely immune, only effectively.

@Saiko Kila: I don't know, as I haven't paid attention. Most critters can swim, though so an FB ought to be able to path through the magma. I have no idea about visibility, but if it's true it can't see it's just a matter of dropping some water above them, assuming cave-ins work, as it shouldn't be able to attack the mine cart hauler or the track stop builder (I don't want a magma splash on my water hauler).

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

@Saiko Kila: I don't know, as I haven't paid attention. Most critters can swim, though so an FB ought to be able to path through the magma. I have no idea about visibility, but if it's true it can't see it's just a matter of dropping some water above them, assuming cave-ins work, as it shouldn't be able to attack the mine cart hauler or the track stop builder (I don't want a magma splash on my water hauler).

To path through magma (at least when fully submerged, haven't tested only partial submersion), critter has to be [FIREIMMUNE]. Otherwise it cannot move on its own. Only fire-spewing FBs are [FIREIMMUNE]. Others, if made of resistant materials, should just sit on the bottom.

To swim through magma, not only swimming is needed, but also [NOBREATHE], though FBs have it, so it's not a problem. But without [MAGMA_VISION], which FBs don't have, they can see only they immediate surroundings, unless they have other senses to detect enemies (maybe they can).

If you want to, you can enable respective tags just to see if one of them will cause the FB to move (I would start with FIREIMMUNE):
df.global.world.raws.creatures.all[FB_RACE_ID].caste[0].flags.MAGMA_VISION=true
df.global.world.raws.creatures.all[FB_RACE_ID].caste[0].flags.FIREIMMUNE=true

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the FB doesn't move I don't need to kill it, as it won't be a threat until the magma sea is drained, and since I've already done that, I see no need to do it in this fortress...

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

If the FB doesn't move I don't need to kill it, as it won't be a threat until the magma sea is drained, and since I've already done that, I see no need to do it in this fortress...

You see no reason to drain magma sea? Strange.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

I guess he just had one or N reason, and they're all used up now.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You see no reason to drain magma sea? Strange.
Oh, I see several reasons to drain the magma sea, but neither individually nor combined do they outweigh the cost of the effort involved. I'm certainly going to obsidianize key sections of the sea eventually, but that's a different thing.

Edit: It definitely seems Saik Kila is correct:
"The fire man attacks the forgotten beast but It jumps away!
The forgotten beast is caught in a pool of magma! *5"
etc.
Thus, the fire man is harassing the FB, and it's unable to defend itself. I just hope it will win eventually.

Edit2:
The fire man eventually drove the FB into a cul-de-sac, and after 5 years (or something like that) of fighting without causing any damage I eventually set up a cave-in to drop on both of them. The result was that both combatants disappeared without a trace, as did the dropped chunk of rock, and my FPS appears to have improved significantly.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:51:37 am by PatrikLundell »