Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So... these dorfs don't like 'masterworks'  (Read 889 times)

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So... these dorfs don't like 'masterworks'
« on: August 28, 2018, 04:51:37 am »

I'm having trouble with getting my woodcutters and miners to pick up the masterful axes and picks.

I have all dwarves in squads and they are smart enough to pick up masterful equipment, except these woodcutters and miners.

I thought that it might be uniform conflict, since 'woodcutter' and 'axe dwarf' (or miner and... war miner) will use different axe, so I have plenty of axes for them.

I currently sitting on 55 masterful steel axes, and 10 excellent axes. (The rest are melted or designated to be melted.)

And these woodcutters all choose to use 10 excellent axe over the masterful ones.

I ordered them to dump those axes and pick up a new one.

A season later, they all choose newly made excellent axes instead of masterful axes...

The same goes for miners and their pick.

Really...

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: So... these dorfs don't like 'masterworks'
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 05:15:57 am »

It is possible that non-military professions actually favor low-grade equipment as an anti-frustration feature for the player - so that they wouldn't take away masterworks from your military. If they actively swap for a worse equipment whenever it becomes available, it's very likely there is a script for that.

May I inquire, why do you insist on them using masterworks? Roleplaying reasons? Weapon quality bears no effect on mining/woodcutting and has a very negligible effect even on combat.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:38:35 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 05:48:02 am »

Nothing really, just feels weird that there are more than enough masterful axes to go around and they keep choosing the 'lesser' grade equipment.

If I really 'need' them to pick up those masterworks, I can always just stop axe/pick production and dump all lesser grade equipment or melt them all down, leaving them with only masterworks. There are more than enough already.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:49:38 am by RWARO_GNARL »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:20:10 am »

I think Sver has it right about why they grab the lower quality items.  I do not think they will change their axe/pick once it is selected, unless the labor is disabled.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 12:29:02 pm »

Melt down the stuff that's not masterwork imo.

I do this in my fortresses. Only the best for my dwarves!