Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: death plane: [not a turn]  (Read 10561 times)

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: death plane
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2018, 08:55:12 am »

Sonos

Watching his new ally burn away, and hearing the dark speak out, Sonos realizes that there is no hope for the new gods here. He flees to the intersphere void, and spends all his the newly gained essence flattening void into vacuum.

Stipulation earned
 -At all costs: Must spend all gained essence every turn.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2018, 09:41:28 am »

Next turn I'm throwing the water-sphere into the Intersphere Void if Rakau agrees with the essence loss.

Speaking of which:
Name the water world "Ecosystem Habitat 0001".

Question to the GM:
Is the Supervoid a magical black hole or something?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:54:31 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2018, 10:21:31 am »

Can I appear ?

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2018, 02:20:16 pm »

Move back into the Positive plane and talk to the god of Light.

"Anything I create burns away in the corona of your sphere, and if I just create I will die in 2 turns(how long is a turn?). How am I to spread your Light if it will not let me?"
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2018, 04:43:07 pm »

((How did you come up with the game's name and setting?))

The name is just because it's a plane where things come to die. It's also the game's two most vital mechanics; the two planes that provide usable Essence, the the fact that gods can and will die.
The setting is something like an extrapolation of the other god games I've seen on these forums, except the gods are weak the world comes pre-fucked-up. It also comes from the cosmology of D&D, where you have a pure positive plane and a pure negative plane and everything else sort of arises in the gaps between, forming a complex and sometimes illogical system in between. Except in death plane, the positive and negative planes aren't so pure, and nothing yet exists in the system between them; that's the god's job.
Part of the idea is that the positive and negative planes were once functional worlds of their own, but terrible things befell them, and they became the sentient energy sources you have now. You're gods who come from outside and stumble on the ruins of some other gods terrible, terrible mistakes. It's like building a city on an ancient landfill.
Another fun thing about this is that if you ever end up making a functional world here, it'll be on the back of a complicated system of kludges and "easy" fixes, to amplify the energy sources and filter out the unhelpful influence of the darkness and one true god. So one day, a mortal philosopher will investigate the nature of the universe, and find that it's mind bendingly insane, and lurking just outside the "normal" world there's a pair of completely ruined ones, inhabited by unknowable eldritch beings.

Like dark souls,

Can I have another character?

Nope. You can jump on the end of the waitlist, though.
Also Dark Souls is easy and death plane is not. :v

Next turn I'm throwing the water-sphere into the Intersphere Void if Rakau agrees with the essence loss.

Speaking of which:
Name the water world "Ecosystem Habitat 0001".

Question to the GM:
Is the Supervoid a magical black hole or something?

Please put all bolded actions in the same post.

The Supervoid is an "area" in which there is nothing. ACTUAL nothing. Vacuum doesn't contain any matter, but it is space, and has a few associated laws and is capable of holding matter. Void is not space, it's something that includes all the base requirements to make space in, but it also consists of every other possible configuration of reality. Different laws, different shapes, the framework for systems that don't even use space. Because all these things are layered on top of each other equally, nothing can occupy or use void until it's cleared away into a self-consistent set of laws.
The Supervoid was an area consisting of several overlapping layers of void, and as such all those dormant laws and properties that make up void canceled each other out, creating a region of actual nothingness. Void is less than vacuum, nothingness is less than void.

Can I appear ?

I suppose so. Pop up somewhere and get to work.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2018, 05:00:14 pm »

Can I get on the waitlist as well here?

I have a few ideas

Name: Nielzaa
Vitality: 80/150
Essence: 0
Drain: 50
Stipulations: none
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:03:09 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2018, 05:01:23 pm »

From Yggdrasil, New Life is born from the Void.

Mana waits to be born from the Aether.{Waitlist start then. Someone die, won't you?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2018, 05:09:35 pm »

Alright, guess I should start an actual waitlist then, as it seems like it'll get some use.

1: sprinkled chariot (joining imminently, as there's an open slot.)
2: Draignean
3: Devastator (he hasn't posted in this thread yet, but has shown interest elsewhere)
4: helmacon

1a: TricMagic (you already died once, so you stay behind anyone who hasn't gotten to play yet)

I'm tempted to start a discord server for this. How many of you would use such a thing?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2018, 05:24:03 pm »

Can I get on that waitlist? I'll be named 'Heron' and start with no stipulations.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2018, 05:26:00 pm »

Sure.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2018, 09:33:30 pm »

I want a discord, mostly so I can ask questions without flooding the thread.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2018, 09:34:04 pm »

I want a discord, mostly so I can ask questions without flooding the thread.
+1
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2018, 09:50:18 pm »

Okay.

Turn very imminent, but I figure this can be its own post, so it's not missed.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2018, 09:53:03 pm »

Positive corona:
The area directly outside the Positive plane. It is bright and unsuitable for life. Gods in this location passively absorb 8 Essence per turn.
There is a world named TYRNM here, filled with an expanding mix of very hot elements.

Heat. Light. Burning. God names this place TYRNM, and it is pure.
God fills the remainder of TYRNM with matter, and allows it to heat up, becoming a glowing plasma.

Positive plane:
it is my will
Move back into the Positive plane and talk to the god of Light.

"Anything I create burns away in the corona of your sphere, and if I just create I will die in 2 turns(how long is a turn?). How am I to spread your Light if it will not let me?"

You dive back into the Positive plane, protected from the terrible heat by the pattern that burns through your being. And there you find God, and tell him what you have seen, ask what reason there is behind it.
"Light brings with it glory. If your creations cannot stand up to the LIGHT, THEN THEY ARE NOT glorious. True faith is SACRIFICE. If following your path leads to your demise, so be it. ANYTHING LESS is cowardice. You will not question the LIGHT again."

God cracks and shifts, and sets its eyes upon your being. You are dissected and laid bare to the Light.
"IF YOU MUST LIVE TO SPREAD LIGHT, YOU MAY HAVE POWER. YOU MUST SPEND THIS WISELY, OR I SHALL TAKE IT BACK FROM YOU, CHILD."
[+100 Essence]

When you're put back together, you can feel the new power pulsating through your being. But you lack the ability to hold this much Essence. It leaks away, returning to the plane. [-40 Essence]
"You remain a crude creation. You already spill power, because it is not in your nature to be POWERFUL. But maybe you will be able to use what remains inside you. If you fail, return to this place. You will leave now."

[Vitality is not drained while in the Positive plane.]

Vitality: 20/100
Essence: 60
Drain: 40
Stipulations:
Must always follow the will of the One True God.
If near an area without Light will try to spread Light there.

Intersphere void
Intersphere void: The void directly between the Positive plane and the Negative plane. Empty except for some god corpses, and the flow of white to black and vice-versa. Gods in this location passively absorb 5 Essence per turn.
Watching his new ally burn away, and hearing the dark speak out, Sonos realizes that there is no hope for the new gods here. He flees to the intersphere void, and spends all his the newly gained essence flattening void into vacuum.

Stipulation earned
 -At all costs: Must spend all gained essence every turn.

You flee the expanding nothingness, and arrive at the Intersphere void. From here you can see the intensity of each of the spheres. While it's more relaxed out here, and the flow of Essence is lesser, it feels... balanced. You realize how much The Darkness had been pushing down on your mind, and the lessening of that pressure is comparatively soothing. [+5 Essence]
Out here, suspended in the void, you see the corpses of gods that have come before. Shapeless, strange, and monumental. These are the lifeless remains of gods not much different from you, though much older and more powerful. Perhaps some of that power remains within the bodies.

You find a fairly empty spot, and cast all the Essence you have available into a spot in the void, which flattens under the pressure, becoming empty space. You continue pouring Essence on that spot, and it spills outwards, creating a somewhat wide area of vacuum.

Having spent your Essence on creation, you await your due. There is nothing to be done about it, so you ignore the strange thoughts and allow your Vitality to burn away. It hurts less this way. [-10 Vitality]

Vitality: 62/150
Drain: 50
Stipulations:

Negative corona:
The area directly outside the Negative plane. It is dark and ominous. Life could bloom here, but it would be defined by dark. Gods in this location passively absorb 7 Essence per turn.
Here there is a small and curious world, named Ecosystem Habitat 0001, contained in a sphere of plastic. Most of the world consists of a body of water that is also a water elemental. The water is inhabited by black algae, catfish, and shadow catfish.
Here there is an object called Supervoid. It is nothing. It consumes nothing. All within is nothing.

All essence into making the water sentient.

Then dirt, then mice. If I have any left over.

[+7 Essence]

Whew. Okay, then. Lets us see here.
You touch the water and gently re-order it, making it less chaotic, giving it rules, and gradually introducing more advanced structure. You weave threads from the surrounding void through it, like a puppet, and give the creature itself control of those threads. It grows upwards, forming organs to store the energy lent from the void, and organs to think. And then, once you're finished, it shudders and begins to move. [-7 Essence]
The water elemental wobbles around in its sphere for a bit, testing its movement. It looks at the fish swimming around in it, at the black algae floating in pitch darkness, at the bodies of small creatures, rotting and half-eaten by fish. And it looks at The Darkness, muttering some old lullaby to its treasured algae. And it looks at you, and see that you are its creator, and it speaks.
"Water."
And then the elemental settles, and awaits your answer.

You create rich, dense soil on the plastic platform. Some of it crumbles off and floats away, eventually entering the water, but enough of it sticks to the surface to create a decent mat. [-2 Essence]
You bring about a few simple mouse bodies and partially bury them in the soil, so that they won't float away. [-1 Essence]

As life ebbs, terrible vistas of emptiness reveal themselves. [-10 Vitality]

Vitality: 10/110
Drain: 0
Stipulations:
I will never act to destroy life.
I will never project a physical avatar.
I will never manipulate thinking creatures unless through gifts freely given.
I will never create anything unless in order to create or nurture life.
I will never alter living creatures against their will.

At least it's not boiling now...

[?] - Create a magical item - Beacon of Ethereal Light. This glass prism projects ethereal light over a radius of 50 km. The light is invisible to normal beings, but the Darkness is repelled by it, turning it from supernatural Darkness into mundane darkness. It also has a cat's spirit inside of it. Place it in the center of the sea.
[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - Catnip in the dirt that is about to be created by Rakau.
[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - Two cats of the opposite gender.
[4] - Grant life to something inanimate - The cats.
[4] - Grant life to something inanimate - The catnip.
Everything else into vitality.

Rakau, please create dirt and mice again. Also, create the maintenance automaton and chloroplasts in the algae.

Nyaughty Darkness. Also, at least Yggdrasil made convenient trash disposal for us...
((Is this how you create magical items?))

((Hah, maybe. Let's see, no?))

[+7 Essence]
They seem happy enough. Lots of food, Darkness helps. Some get eaten. Terror. [+2 Essence]

Well, better get the important things over with first.
Seeing as your dying friend was kind enough to create some dirt for you, you begin laying matter to create a vascular plant called "catnip". Which just so happens to have some chemical effects on feline brains. Huh. [-1 Essence]
You cast a spot of life through the few plants you've created, and sure enough they begin to live. Roots dig into the soil happily. [-4 Essence]
Next you create a pair of cats, with very grippy pads on their feet, allowing them to traverse this gravity-less environment. Seeing real cats again makes you happy. [-2 Essence]
...Unfortunately, you lack the Essence to bring your cats to life, and so they remain cold for now. It hurts, a little, to be unable to propagate felines. [8 Vitality permanently lost]

You also do not have enough Essence to create that object. Probably a good thing, given that The Darkness is the only thing keeping this ecosystem running.

Without any source of light to fuel photosynthesis, the catnip plants wither and die.

It seems that while you've been busy with other things, The Darkness has been busy feeding and propagating the black algae. There's now quite a few healthy colonies in the little sea, and catfish population has risen in turn, as the food supply has grown. However, a few of the catfish are strangle mutated, larger, and they echo the whispers of The Darkness. These also feed on the black algae, but sometimes eat the smaller catfish as well. These "shadow catfish" seem to be a bit more intelligent, and they wander the habitat, observing.

Your Vitality ebbs, waving. You keep some, thanks to fishes worship. [-2 Essence] [-8 Vitality]

Vitality: 47/142
Drain: 20
Stipulations:
At all times, I will try to propagate catnip over all possible surfaces.
At all times, I will try to aid the propagation of felines at all costs.
At all times, I will attempt to purge all canines from my vicinity.

((Keep going! You can tame this wild world, and avert your gruesome death! I believe in you!))

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2018, 10:30:02 pm »

Ditch the sphere-throwing.

T-there's some hope...

[4] - Grant life to something inanimate - The cats.
[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - Shadow catnip. Taps into the Darkness for sustenance. Also has backup chloroplasts in case this ecosystem gets transported somewhere else.
[4] - Grant life to something inanimate - The shadow catnip.
[?] - Grant sentience to something living - The cats. Restructure and optimize their brains for human-like intelligence.
If possible, give 5 vitality to Rakau.

Elemental, can you please not flood the Balcony? It could drown my creations.

((I like how the gods themselves have to adapt and change their plans if when things go south.))
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:27:36 am by KittyTac »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10