Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: death plane: [not a turn]  (Read 10563 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: death plane
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2018, 10:00:39 am »

As far as I know, stars work off fusion. More Material means a hotter, larger star. Adding more hydrogen slowly over time would give it more to work off of, increasing it's size as the new material is pulled in. It's not going to jump to nova implosion right then and there from something like that..

As for that, I just need to jumpstart the fusion reaction. How much to do that?
You need a mass of Hydrogen a lot larger than Jupiter (about 0.075 Sun). Otherwise, it won't even start. So that would be a large mass or a group undertaking.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2018, 11:34:34 pm »

((Here's just the first part of the turn. I'm feeling a little tired now, which may have fed a bit into the Positive plane's stream-of-thought trippyness.
Anyway, this means that the two players who haven't posted actions for this turn yet and a bit more time.))

Positive plane:
what once
"As You command my liege. I have 1 request, that you grant me vitality that I may live longer to serve you. What is your command?"
If he gives me vitality continue in this plane to talk with him. If he does not give me vitality leave for the positive corona. In either case do as he commands.

New stipulation: I will do whatever the god in the positive plane commands.
"FOR YOUR VITALITY TO RETURN TO YOU, THERE WILL NEED TO BE AN ACT OF TRUE FAITH. A PROOF THAT YOU ARE MORE THAN SOME SPIRIT. THAT PEOPLE TAKE YOU AS THEIR god. Yes, then, when your words are sung by many, a few of those many will find a need to sacrifice for an ideal. You will be just one such ideal. AND ONCE THE ACT OF TRUE FAITH  IS DONE, THE EXAMPLE IT SETS SHALL MAKE YOU STRONGER. PRaiaSe is eNOUGH to be POWERFUL, A draw for EssenSe. But power alone is not enough to Be defended. And so PRAISE is not nearly enough for an immortal. YOU NEED SACRIFICE, THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN FIND TRUE, unCORRUPTED faith IS SACRIFICE. And without true faith, your vitality can only go down. No matter how careful you are, without a way to regain your vitality, some day you will die. You are mortal. Hardly a god, far from it."
As the One True God speaks, the environment around begins to vary. One moment He is the burning symbol before you, but the next you are both seated, in a strangely murky old living room, with a ceiling fan above. At a sudden twist in His speech, the room fades away and is replaced by a busy supermarket, with springy shades of people going about their day-to-day. Finally, when He speaks of sacrifice, you slip through the wall and find yourself in a darkened room with a large stone slab taking up most of the center. There's a body of some sort laying on the slab, but it's covered by a tarp.

Without thinking, you step forth and remove the veil. On the slab is the corpse of a woman, quite cold. She's in a relaxed pose and the only injuries present are a slit throat, and a symbol carved into her chest by some shallow blade. The symbol seems familiar of course, but...
Ah, the purity of the white. It looks pure to cursory examination, but take a closer look and you'll see cracks. And this symbol is those cracks. The impurity of this place, that which differentiates it from just a plain expanse of Positive energy, is in that symbol. Or rather, the symbol is a simplified version of all that.

Thinking about it has caused the symbol to be fully written into your mind. Seeing your mind as a clanking clockwork office, you find the symbol painted over your window. Annoyed, the private investigator reaches for the sign and tries to remove it, but those eldritch lines instead begin to glow red-hot, and begin to spread.
When you come to, you find yourself under a new Stipulation.
[Stipulation gained: Must always follow the will of the One True God.]

God appears before you.
"I have thought on it, and there is a way for you to regain your Vitality without having to find followers. You can simply be my follower. Should you perform an Act Of True Faith on my behalf, it would revitalize the both of us.
GO NOW. SERVE ME WELL OR I WILL SIMPLY RIP YOU APART, AND CONSUME WHAT REMAINS."

[In here, something about the light prevents Vitality loss. You could probably live here yourself forever. Would you want to, however?]

Vitality: 30/100
Essence: 0
Drain: 50
Stipulations:
Must always follow the will of the One True God.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2018, 06:46:58 am »

Flatten Void, flatten void, flatten void, essence into vitality.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2018, 08:47:06 am »

Name:Sonos
Vitality: 80/150
Stipulations:

Sonos heads to the negative corona where most of the other gods seem to be gathering.

I seem to be lacking in Essence gained.

Assist Rakau and Yggdrasil in flattening void (one each), then remaining essence into Vitality (including the essance I should have gotten the previous turn).

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2018, 09:40:47 am »

You might also want to start creating the hydrogen.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2018, 04:29:44 pm »

Bold your actions.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2018, 05:15:52 pm »

Bold your actions.

Better?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2018, 11:58:43 pm »

Okay, maybe those two players who hadn't posted yet got a lot more time. Let's see here...
Including the Positive Plane part again here, because it's technically part of the same turn.

Positive plane:
what once
"As You command my liege. I have 1 request, that you grant me vitality that I may live longer to serve you. What is your command?"
If he gives me vitality continue in this plane to talk with him. If he does not give me vitality leave for the positive corona. In either case do as he commands.

New stipulation: I will do whatever the god in the positive plane commands.
"FOR YOUR VITALITY TO RETURN TO YOU, THERE WILL NEED TO BE AN ACT OF TRUE FAITH. A PROOF THAT YOU ARE MORE THAN SOME SPIRIT. THAT PEOPLE TAKE YOU AS THEIR god. Yes, then, when your words are sung by many, a few of those many will find a need to sacrifice for an ideal. You will be just one such ideal. AND ONCE THE ACT OF TRUE FAITH  IS DONE, THE EXAMPLE IT SETS SHALL MAKE YOU STRONGER. PRaiaSe is eNOUGH to be POWERFUL, A draw for EssenSe. But power alone is not enough to Be defended. And so PRAISE is not nearly enough for an immortal. YOU NEED SACRIFICE, THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN FIND TRUE, unCORRUPTED faith IS SACRIFICE. And without true faith, your vitality can only go down. No matter how careful you are, without a way to regain your vitality, some day you will die. You are mortal. Hardly a god, far from it."
As the One True God speaks, the environment around begins to vary. One moment He is the burning symbol before you, but the next you are both seated, in a strangely murky old living room, with a ceiling fan above. At a sudden twist in His speech, the room fades away and is replaced by a busy supermarket, with springy shades of people going about their day-to-day. Finally, when He speaks of sacrifice, you slip through the wall and find yourself in a darkened room with a large stone slab taking up most of the center. There's a body of some sort laying on the slab, but it's covered by a tarp.

Without thinking, you step forth and remove the veil. On the slab is the corpse of a woman, quite cold. She's in a relaxed pose and the only injuries present are a slit throat, and a symbol carved into her chest by some shallow blade. The symbol seems familiar of course, but...
Ah, the purity of the white. It looks pure to cursory examination, but take a closer look and you'll see cracks. And this symbol is those cracks. The impurity of this place, that which differentiates it from just a plain expanse of Positive energy, is in that symbol. Or rather, the symbol is a simplified version of all that.

Thinking about it has caused the symbol to be fully written into your mind. Seeing your mind as a clanking clockwork office, you find the symbol painted over your window. Annoyed, the private investigator reaches for the sign and tries to remove it, but those eldritch lines instead begin to glow red-hot, and begin to spread.
When you come to, you find yourself under a new Stipulation.
[Stipulation gained: Must always follow the will of the One True God.]

God appears before you.
"I have thought on it, and there is a way for you to regain your Vitality without having to find followers. You can simply be my follower. Should you perform an Act Of True Faith on my behalf, it would revitalize the both of us.
GO NOW. SERVE ME WELL OR I WILL SIMPLY RIP YOU APART, AND CONSUME WHAT REMAINS."

[In here, something about the light prevents Vitality loss. You could probably live here yourself forever. Would you want to, however?]

Vitality: 30/100
Stipulations:
Must always follow the will of the One True God.

Negative corona:
The area directly outside the Negative plane. It is dark and ominous. Life could bloom here, but it would be defined by dark. Gods in this location passively absorb 7 Essence per turn.
There are a few small realities here. Four small and empty bubbles, one ball of liquid hydrogen, and one boiling sphere of liquid water, with the beginnings of an ecosystem churning within it. Doomed, if not for dark.

Go to the negative plane. I should then have 15 essence. Proceed:

[2] Flatten void into vacuum - in the shape of a sphere. Large enough to fit a large body of mass, and some left over.
[6] Create a large body of mass - water in the darkness.
[1] Create a small amount of normal material - nourishing, warm air above the water
[1] Create a small amount of normal material - tiny pieces of raw nutrition, floating throughout the water.
[1] Create a small amount of normal material - moss or algae of a sort, but capable of flourishing in water and darkness, fed by the molecules of food in the water.
[4] Grant life to something inanimate - the moss

"Life."

You create space from void, in the shape of a sphere. A good amount of room. [-2 Essence]
Next you make a decent sphere of liquid water. It's a little sea in the darkness, but it doesn't have enough mass to hold itself together via gravity and so the surface immediately begins to boil out into space, turning into water vapor. [-6 Essence]
Next, you create some atmosphere, mostly a warm mixture of oxygen and nitrogen. It helps to seal in the boiling water a little, but you're not able to create very much on your Essence budget, and the warm nature of the air lets it expand a little faster than otherwise. [-1 Essence]
You create some complex organic chemicals in the water, which should serve as the building blocks of life. Hopefully? [-1 Essence]
Finally, you turn your attention to creating the first life of this little world. An autotroph, of course... but there's no light, so no photosynthesis, of course. The darkness here is nurturing, in a way, but you're not quite sure yet how to leverage that as an organic energy source. Eventually you decide to weave a colony of single-cellular organisms, adapted to live in water, with a sort of... general spiritual connection, that hopefully will be enough to draw on the darkness here. A moment of tinkering later, and it is done. But the colony does not yet live. [-1 Essence]
You reach out and touch the moss, willing it to live. Visualizing how it should use the structures you've given it. After a moment of listening, the matter grinds to work. Replicating DNA, regulating internal pressure, splitting, reaching out with it's spiritual organelles, crying out for help. Life. [-4 Essence]

Your colony of spirit-connected algae gets to work consuming the fuel you planted. For now this is enough to keep the balance, but the growth is unsustainable. However, you can feel its spiritual plea. You should be able to keep this organism alive by feeding it your own Essence.

Of course, the dark reaches into the space, feeling it out. It whispers softly with ten thousand voices.
"Who? Finally, someone else? Another lost soul. Such longing. Confused. Cold, like us. what cruel being did this? It feels, calls out to us."

Drained from your work, you feel the burn of your Vitality boiling away. Like a mouthful of alcohol on the hottest day of the year. Or maybe the coldest.
[-10 Vitality]

Vitality: 70/150
Drain: 0
Stipulations:
I will never act to destroy life.
I will never project a physical avatar.
I will never manipulate thinking creatures unless through gifts freely given.
I will never create anything unless in order to create or nurture life.
I will never alter living creatures against their will.

((Without farther input,)) you just fire those abilities off into the void randomly I guess.
You wipe your mind off the possibilities of the corona's void, creating three stretches of emptiness, just waiting to be filled with... I dunno, maybe they could be used for storage at some point? You had this neat idea once for a bag that's actually a portal to another plane, allowing for functionally unlimited storage... [-3 Essence]

Entropy is about to slam into you, so you project a little bit of Essence to maintaining your Vitality. Still, some drips away into the void, never to be seen again. It feels like a stab in the guts from a good friend. At least you get to see them again. [-4 Essence] [-6 Vitality]

Vitality: 74/150
Stipulations:

[1] Create a small amount of normal material - Fish that will eat the algae. The algae will be fed by fish droppings and corpses, closing the food chain.
[4] Grant life to something inanimate - The fish.
Everything else into vitality.

This is preparation for the creation of Cat Heaven. Those old gods were no fun.

Looking to the watery world created by the one who identifies itself as "Rakau Whetu", you think you see some opportunity to expand. You forge together a different set of genes, and a different body plan. skeleton inside, dermis outside, musculature, nervous system, desire to consume...
You end up with something resembling a small fish. It's eyeless, as there's no light here. To compensate for this, you give it cute little "whiskers" on the front of its face, which are sensitive to movement. [-1 Essence]
Zooming out, you inspect your creation. Cold and lifeless now, but functional. You will it to live, and its cells stumble to life, connecting to each other, forming structure. The creature's neurons begin to fire and it observes its surroundings through its whiskers. [-4 Essence]
As an animal, your creation feels some small shade of self-consciousness. In a small and simple way, it wonders how it came to be here. And what came before it. It's not much, but your starved being feels the faint echo of worship all the same. [+1 Essence]

The tiny fish stays for a time, nibbling on the colony of algae that grows here. Before long there's a small number of fishes swimming about. However, they struggle to find food, as the moss itself is limited to eating the chemicals that your fellow god planted here. Over consumption... before long, both strains of life are on the brink of extinction, unable to find enough food to live.

As if in response to life's plea for help, the darkness spears into this watery world with greater haste. It cradles the algae, and feeds it with love and pity. It inspects a starving catfish with interest, testing it's neural capacity.
"Poor things, poor things. Without us they would wither. Out in the cold. No warmth. Alone, like us. There there. Do not cry little moss, we have each other now. And this. What is it? We may remember something like it. From long ago. Meat that thinks. Its existence is sad, sad almost. It thinks, it wonders why it is meat and not god. Why indeed?"

Like clawing horror, your due is upon you. Torn from your... body, so to speak. The loss sears at you, and you throw it the Essence you've found, just to spare you a little. You're left beaten, but invigorated. They could not kill you. [-3 Essence] [-7 Vitality]

Vitality: 73/150
Stipulations:

I seem to be lacking in Essence gained.

Assist Rakau and Yggdrasil in flattening void (one each), then remaining essence into Vitality (including the Essence I should have gotten the previous turn).

((Essence is gained at the start of the turn, and drained at the end. Unless the amount you gain is more than your Drain, you'll always have 0 Essence at the END of your turn, which is what's shown below.))

You carve away a little more space into Rakau's little world, and the water and gasses begin expanding faster still, thanks to the lower overall pressure. It's good to feel helpful. [-1 Essence]
You also expand a bit on that other god's carving, making yet another space nearby. Well, if you need to store something, you're pretty set now. [-1 Essence]

Ah. You see it coming quite clearly. You expend your Essence as a shield just before entropy washes over you. Much of it glances off, like rain on wax. But the rest soaks you to the core, cleansing your soul. It's a cold shower, but not an unpleasant one. [-5 Essence] [-5 Vitality]

Vitality: 75/150
Stipulations:

((Through your efforts, you have gained holdings. Now safeguard them, before it is lost! Entropy will never rest, and so you must not rest either.
Note that almost any Essence-using ability can be reinforced by adding more essence. You can also do things not listed in the OP, including turning vacuum back into void.
Combat between deities is also possible, and potentially very lethal.))

Next update on Thursday.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2018, 12:21:41 am »

I suppose we can't create magical items yet? I can work around it...

[6] - Create a large amount of normal material - A hollow plastic sphere encompassing the water world. LEDs are placed along the inner surface and they don't all light up on the same time, creating an equivalent of day and night... the consequence is that expanding the water world would be much harder. The night "sky" sometimes shows pictures of cat faces. Also has maintenance tunnels.
[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - A fully charged battery powering the LEDs. Someone will have to replace it every once in a while. The battery also has a cat painted on it because cats.
[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - A small plastic balcony extending from the sphere, twisted so the gravity at its bottom points towards the surface. It also has a cat painted on it. Perhaps usable for a land-based ecosystem?
[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - A waterproof maintenance automaton that can climb or swim. Automatically performs maintenance on the sphere (replaces burnt-out LEDs, fixes wiring if something gnawed it up, maybe replaces batteries if additional ones are provided).
[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - Dirt on the Balcony.
[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - Catnip in the dirt.
[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - Two cats of the opposite gender.
[4] - Grant life to something inanimate - The cats.
[4] - Grant life to something inanimate - The catnip.
Everything else into vitality.

The algae shouldn't starve now, I guess. I could dismantle it if the other gods don't like it or it interferes with this corona.

((I should have my stipulations.
Harbinger of Catnip: At all times, I will try to propagate catnip over all possible surfaces.
Herald of Kittens: At all times, I will try to aid the propagation of felines at all costs.
Bane of Dogs: At all times, I will attempt to purge all canines from my vicinity.))

Here's a list of locations on our water world:

Water - A large sphere of water. Suitable for water-based life. Illuminated by the Inner Surface.
Air - An atmosphere around Water. Suitable for air-based life. Illuminated by the Inner Surface.
Balcony - A small plastic balcony extending from the Inner Surface. Suitable for land-based life. Illuminated by the Inner Surface.
Inner Surface - LEDs providing light to everything below. Not suitable for most life due to heat from the LEDs and gravity pointing away from it. Illuminated by itself.
Maintenance - Tunnels inside of the sphere. Contains wires and stuff. Maybe suitable for land-based life, but that would not be using it for its intended purpose (allowing maintenance automatons to perform maintenance on the sphere). Dark.
Outer Surface - The outside of the sphere. Opens up into nothingness. Warm, but unsuitable for life due to a lack of food sources and light. Dark.

Who wants to provide additional batteries?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:48:55 am by KittyTac »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2018, 12:33:51 am »

Have you tried?

[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - A hollow plastic sphere encompassing the water world. LEDs are placed along the inner surface and they don't all light up on the same time, creating an equivalent of day and night... the consequence is that expanding the water world would be much harder. The night "sky" sometimes shows pictures of cat faces.
This is far from a project doable with a 1-cost normal material. It involves both a large amount of material, and some delicate systems.

[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - A small balcony extending from the sphere, twisted so the gravity at its bottom points towards the surface. It also has a cat painted on it. Perhaps usable for a land-based ecosystem?
Not sure what you're going for here. What is the balcony attached to? And what gravity are you talking about? Your little sea is closer in size to an asteroid than a planet. You all don't have enough space to store a planet put together. Any gravity you want will need to originate from some source other than loads and loads of mass.

Harbinger of Catnip: At all times, I will try to propagate catnip over all possible surfaces.
Herald of Kittens: At all times, I will try to aid the propagation of felines at all costs.
Bane of Dogs: At all times, I will attempt to purge all canines from my vicinity.))
Okay, you'll gain those next turn.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2018, 12:38:36 am »

Have you tried?

[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - A hollow plastic sphere encompassing the water world. LEDs are placed along the inner surface and they don't all light up on the same time, creating an equivalent of day and night... the consequence is that expanding the water world would be much harder. The night "sky" sometimes shows pictures of cat faces.
This is far from a project doable with a 1-cost normal material. It involves both a large amount of material, and some delicate systems.

[1] - Create a small amount of normal material - A small balcony extending from the sphere, twisted so the gravity at its bottom points towards the surface. It also has a cat painted on it. Perhaps usable for a land-based ecosystem?
Not sure what you're going for here. What is the balcony attached to? And what gravity are you talking about? Your little sea is closer in size to an asteroid than a planet. You all don't have enough space to store a planet put together. Any gravity you want will need to originate from some source other than loads and loads of mass.

Okay, you'll gain those next turn.
I'm OK with spending 6 instead of 1. The balcony is attached to the inner surface. Like this:

\
_         |
|         | Sphere
|         |
|_________|
          |
^         /
|
|
| Balcony

Note that I'm not violating my catnip stipulation: There are no real surfaces over which I can propagate catnip. Tell me if I'm wrong. (The Balcony is not filled with dirt that catnip can grow on).

Here's a question: What happens if something gets thrown out of space and into the void?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:46:43 am by KittyTac »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2018, 12:45:38 am »

It does not say you'll spread catnip over any surfaces that will currently support catnip, if it's not too much bother. It says you'll spread catnip over all possible surfaces. If necessary to complete that goal, you'll create dirt. If necessary to complete that goal, you'll create more surfaces.
Also, as felines do not currently exist, Herald obligates you to immediately begin creating them.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2018, 12:49:52 am »

The cats should not starve for one turn, right?

Rakau Whetu, let's work together. Create some mice on the Balcony I made.

((I hope I do not get instakilled by this vitality drain.))

((And do pictures of cats count? If yes, I'll ditch the cat-creating. I suppose it would be annoying to the other gods if I went around defacing everything they create with kitty faces.))

((How about creating a Discord channel for this?))
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:59:26 am by KittyTac »

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2018, 12:59:46 am »

If possible:
Go to the positive corona: 2X[2]-Flatten void into vacuum, 2X[1] Create a small amount of normal material-water, [1] Create a small amount of normal material-cold air above water, [1] Create a small amount of normal material-organic flotsam. Return to the positive plane.

"Soon the Light will be infused throughout the planes."

New Stipulation=Light Obsession: If near an area without Light will try to spread Light there.
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2018, 01:06:36 am »

Our little habitat has light, courtesy of me. Please don't break anything.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10