Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Add to the creatures thoughts about sex and be able to customize their values  (Read 25994 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

@GoblinCookie:
If you keep persistently disrupting the "crypto-ideological consensus" with derails, you will eventually get banned by Toady (who has already noticed you) rather than actually disrupt the consensus. Keep that in mind.

And I would happily sacrifice the quality of some other features for bigotry.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:45:27 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile

Can you all stop insulting GC for every comment he makes. Calling him stupid and mentally insane is no way to have a debate. It seems that his arguments brings many of you to pour out your worst qualities and this behaviour leads GC to only address your countetpoints more aggressively.

I do not see his posts as derailing, the only problem I can see with his posts are the autocratic nature they portray.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you all stop insulting GC for every comment he makes. Calling him stupid and mentally insane is no way to have a debate. It seems that his arguments brings many of you to pour out your worst qualities and this behaviour leads GC to only address your countetpoints more aggressively.

I do not see his posts as derailing, the only problem I can see with his posts are the autocratic nature they portray.
I'm not calling him insane. What do you mean? I am just calling him out on his thinking that he can change something on Bay12.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile

Striker indirectly did, but you also resolved to posts with an insulting intent in the past. I am not saying it was done intentionally but such behaviour is not helpful in any discussion.

I also think that GC should use a less wall of text aproach because it becomes annoying and redundant.

While many of the forumites believe otherwise, I still think that many of gcs objections are valid points that need to be discussed in some way. I also believe that the counterpoints are quite valid. In both cases i see problems with the form they are presented. Afterall we all work together here to help Toady to create an awe-inspiring game. (It already is one but it gets better and better with each update)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry if I am a bit too passive-aggressive at times, but mild snarkiness is my usual arguing style, with GC or otherwise.

And while this particular case is not exactly a derail, GC has derailed threads in the past.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:27:05 am by KittyTac »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile

I can imagine I am only trying to promote a healthy discussion culture.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile

Striker indirectly did, but you also resolved to posts with an insulting intent in the past. I am not saying it was done intentionally but such behaviour is not helpful in any discussion.
Alright, that line was admittedly pretty blunt and could've been worded better to not be interpeted as a personal attack. The point however doesn't change: People with certain psychological conditions do have issue diffrenating between reality and fiction. And those people should be extra cautions playing videogames that decipt certain things as it may impair their decision-making in the real world. Whether that applies to GC isn't my concern nor was it my intent to imply that it did apply to him.

It seems that his arguments brings many of you to pour out your worst qualities
Sure seems like it at times.

Sorry if I am a bit too passive-aggressive at times, but mild snarkiness us my usual arguing style, with GC or otherwise.
As long as it's snarkiness and not in the "complete asshole" territory.

Anyway, this thread really isn't the place for this.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Rataldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought it was obvious.  The problem is that you, as a player aim to succeed, you aim to win and in order to win you learn certain rules, stratagems as it were as to do so.  Everything you want to get, everything that counts as succeeding is actually dependent upon the society either giving it to you or allowing you to get it.  If you want to be a great leader, a great warrior, a great anything really, you need the rest of society to cooperate or at least turn a blind eye.

Following these rules does not require you to be aware of their consequences.  In many cases your contribution is indirect, you don't directly understand the consequences of behaving that way because the effect is 'off-screen'.

Can you phrase it like "It would be bad to do X in Dwarf Fortress. This idea would force/allow X."?

The closest I can get with what you have here is:
It would be bad to violate modern moral standards in Dwarf Fortress. This idea may force someone to violate modern moral standards in order for them to achieve their goals.

Is this accurate?

The only ethical thing is to accept you are never going to be a dragonslayer and go home.  Actually doing the right thing in an oppressive society however, goes against the entire logic of a computer game which is to slay the dragon and win.  This is why we have to be careful with depicting oppressive systems in computer games in a way that we do not have to be in films or books; the game teaches a different set of lessons.   

I'm just going to leave this at: I reject the premise. There are just way more options than you are presenting and not every story should have some kind of positive lesson or happy ending. Especially not in DF. Also, leaving the dragon to, presumably, continue on its rampage is not a morally good decision either.

My attitude is just the facts of the matter. 

The other thing is that the better this idea is implemented, the more work it will take to code and if implemented poorly we are better off without it.

Again I reject the premise. The best solution is not necessarily the most complicated. "Best" is left intentionally vague because it needs to encompass so many variables, one of them being development time.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

The only ethical thing is to accept you are never going to be a dragonslayer and go home.
Actually, the ethical choice involves a flock of keas.

Plausible deniability!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everything takes work, even the features you want added, such as multi-tile creatures, which i think wont be worth the effort.

Also, what do you mean by "activist" version? How would that differ from performing a role normally?

Because the role is not being performed in order simply to succeed (to advance as that role) but in order to challenge the unjust Status Quo even though it is beyond your personal ability to change it on your own.  One of the problems is that societal oppression is adds nothing in a realism sense (unlike multi-tile creatures), since a more oppressive society is not more realistic than a less oppressive one. 

The only 'winning' in Dwarf Fortress is enjoying the game. You only lose if you no longer enjoy playing. Your fort getting destroyed is not losing, neither is getting your adventurer killed. Nor would be anything that would be possible with these systems(which again, do not solely consist of civ wide oppression). If you don't want to play as a part of or work with an oppressive society then... Don't! (i will be really impressed if someone manages to generate a whole world consisting of nothing but oppressive shitholes.)

And let those who do want to play with these systems, because that's winning in this game: Playing however you want and getting enjoyment out of it. I for one am going to enjoy getting my adventurer enslaved, or raiding villages and dragging back slaves to my civ, in collar and leash or buying slaves(' freedom) or killing the slavers or just not giving a crap, because i might be playing a character with other motives. An extreme example but it highlights a tiny part what will be possible in the game, that can be improved by a system of discrimination, prejudice and oppression.

Yes, that is the value of the idea; it adds more diversity in scenarios.  The problem is that if it is implemented cheaply then it will actually *reduce* the realism of the game, the only way to implement it realistically is to do so at a very high cost and that comes at the expense of other additions that actually add to the game's realism, unlike this idea. 

Sometimes there is no right way. Think about it this way: That same dragon, if you don't kill it, will by itself kill hundreds, maybe even thousands, both guilty and innocent. Maybe if your moral sensibilities do not let you go slave-hunting in exchange for the artifact, someone else with more balls than you will. In essence, you've still not improved the world in any way by wiping your hands clean and claiming superiority.

This is to me what stories are about: conflict, struggle, hard choices and their consequences. that's what i enjoy. And if you wanna prance around la-la teletubby land where nothing happens, that's your choice.

(Or you could just steal the fucking amulet...)

Yet you have improved the world by sitting on your hands.  By not helping the bad people you made them weaker, if enough people do that it makes the Status Quo untenable.  That is actually how things change, the society finds that all the people that it needs to flourish are refusing to cooperate and hence it is forced to change in order to survive. 

unintended consequences, quite a shocking twist huh? But i suppose the question in this case is, does the player care? Does the character played by the player care? After all, their hands are clean and they can claim moral superiority, if they're the sort. Also, this is something we must discuss: The adventurer played by the player is not the player themselves nor are they the player's avatar. They can be, but most people not only are capable of a little roleplay but actually like roleplaying their characters. Most people can empathize with a character with (even radically) differing viewpoints from their own. You can too, right?

Yes, the player does not care; which is the problem.  The player cares about winning, not about the ethical price; exactly what I was saying.

Mentally sane people can separate fiction from reality and do not take "lessons" from entertainment.

Fiction works as entertainment because people cannot truly do that.  Maybe they can at a shallow conscious level, but at a deeper level not the case. 

If people actually knew at all levels of their mind that fiction was fictional, they would not feel anything in relation to fictional media.  Playing games would not be fun, because we would know that nothing was actually happening and nothing was actually lost or won. 

No. opinions.

So it is just an opinion that Toady One does not have limitless resources? 

I would argue the opposite instead, the best implementations of ideas are frequently deceptively simple and not overcomplicated.

we'll also be far better off without multi-tile creatures if they're poorly implemented.

In which case we are better off *not* implementing this idea; it cannot be implemented in a simple way without misrepresenting things.

You can already take over sites with your own group in adv mode, so the "activist role" is already included in the game and has been since 2014.

As described already, a single ruler does not have the ability to successfully change society.  Changing society is beyond the ability of an individual, as explained already in a wall-of-text. 

@GoblinCookie:
If you keep persistently disrupting the "crypto-ideological consensus" with derails, you will eventually get banned by Toady (who has already noticed you) rather than actually disrupt the consensus. Keep that in mind.

That is actually related to what I was saying before.  In effect it is the problem with running fortresses from oppressive societies, regardless of our opinions on the matter we end up suppressing any attempts to change society because that will disrupt the order of our fortress and hence weaken it. 

If the oppressed challenge their oppressors then we will end up siding with the oppressors even if we sympathise with the oppressed, because the oppressors have a far greater ability to disrupt order than the oppressed do and are far harder to suppress. 

Sorry if I am a bit too passive-aggressive at times, but mild snarkiness is my usual arguing style, with GC or otherwise.

And while this particular case is not exactly a derail, GC has derailed threads in the past.

Threads were derailed when I was around, but to say I alone did it is just scapegoating.

Can you phrase it like "It would be bad to do X in Dwarf Fortress. This idea would force/allow X."?

The closest I can get with what you have here is:
It would be bad to violate modern moral standards in Dwarf Fortress. This idea may force someone to violate modern moral standards in order for them to achieve their goals.

Is this accurate?

Pretty much.  That is why we need the activist role to exist in the game if we want to have an oppressive society, without such a role there really is no choice but to violate moral standards since the player is forced to play by the rules of the system. 

I'm just going to leave this at: I reject the premise. There are just way more options than you are presenting and not every story should have some kind of positive lesson or happy ending. Especially not in DF. Also, leaving the dragon to, presumably, continue on its rampage is not a morally good decision either.

Having all moral decisions be bad, does not weaken my argument but makes it even stronger. 

By my ethical system however, leaving the dragon alone to rampage is not wrong.  That is because you did not cause the dragon to exist, nor did you cause it to rampage, therefore if the dragon burns stuff down you are not implicated in it's crimes.  The dragon is responsible, not you for not stopping it; this is a very important principle in my opinion. 

Again I reject the premise. The best solution is not necessarily the most complicated. "Best" is left intentionally vague because it needs to encompass so many variables, one of them being development time.

The real danger is that this idea will be implemented simply.  I don't want a situation where a single individual can simply wish away all the world's fundamental social evils simply because he is a big enough winner. 

Something alone the lines of the "I must be the one to slay the dragon" is almost the secret weapon of oppressive systems in general.  The individual seeks to "make the world a better place" and the individual thinks he would be able to do this if only he had enough power.  Once he has that elusive thing, power then he will able to sit on his throne and decree the abolition of all the world's many evils. 

This does not work.  The reason it doesn't work is the society creates a set of rules by which the would-be ruler has to follow in order to get the power he needs.  In order to gain and hold power, he learns those rules and the moment he does not follow the rules he finds his power undermined.  In order to gain the power to change the society, the rules dictate that the society not be challenged and changing the society requires that the society be challenged. 

In the end what we have is a situation where "I could use my power to change society, but if I did so society would take away my power to change it,".  That is why all the societal evils prove so resilient despite the great preponderance of despotic rulers throughout history; they can't all of have been card-carrying villains can they?  The trick is that the oppression *is* part of the society itself and even if the society should give an individual absolute power in theory, in practice it always has the power because it is it that made the ruler's power absolute.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And? We have lots of time, which is a point you have been steadily ignoring. Toady rarely goes the easy way.

What is wrong with that? If you do not want to be an oppressor, don't generate a world with oppressive systems.

It takes a very long time for Toady One to add in pretty much anything into the game, a point you used to be very aware of when you talked about "in 4 years time" a lot.  The fact that it impacts on all other roles, adds extra work to be done, because the devs have to figure out how to make an activist version of all existing roles so that we can still continue to function and advance as something other than a pure activist and still not be siding with the oppressor. 
I think it will be worth it, at least post-v1.0. I guess you don't.
You forgot this. Unless you intentionally ignored it, which ain't better. I think you may have also ignored other people's posts.

@GoblinCookie:

That is actually related to what I was saying before.  In effect it is the problem with running fortresses from oppressive societies, regardless of our opinions on the matter we end up suppressing any attempts to change society because that will disrupt the order of our fortress and hence weaken it. 

If the oppressed challenge their oppressors then we will end up siding with the oppressors even if we sympathise with the oppressed, because the oppressors have a far greater ability to disrupt order than the oppressed do and are far harder to suppress. 
And? If you do not want that, do not run a fort from an oppressive civ. It would be very rare for a world to only have oppressive shitholes. But if you want to oppress, go ahead.

Re: Limited resources
It will be worth it, as per my point that you rather cheaply ignored. I guess you have nothing to counter it.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As described already, a single ruler does not have the ability to successfully change society.  Changing society is beyond the ability of an individual, as explained already in a wall-of-text. 
Emancipation proclamation, ended slavery, single ruler did it,

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

And that's completely ignoring that this is a fantasy game, which makes fantasy worlds, where individuals make massive sweeping changes all the damn time and such heroes are something that they have openly and repeatedly said they want.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You forgot this. Unless you intentionally ignored it, which ain't better. I think you may have also ignored other people's posts.

This kind of stuff falls under Law and Customs release, it is not Post-1.  If these ideas are implemented once everything ELSE of value is done, then I have no problem because at that point the devs do have enough time to do it properly.  The danger is that it will either result in a simple but unrealistic situation when it does not need to be in the game for the sake of realism, or it will elongate Law and Customs to the point that it gets in the way of a whole raft of stuff that needs doing. 

And? If you do not want that, do not run a fort from an oppressive civ. It would be very rare for a world to only have oppressive shitholes. But if you want to oppress, go ahead.

Re: Limited resources
It will be worth it, as per my point that you rather cheaply ignored. I guess you have nothing to counter it.

The real-world consists for most of history of only oppressive shitholes......

But yes, if it a world-gen setting then it is quite difficult to argue against the inclusion of most-anything.  The only real argument is the cost argument and you seem to have largely conceded to my position on that.

Emancipation proclamation, ended slavery, single ruler did it,

Not quite, slavery was already gradually abolished in the northern half of the USA during the many decades prior to Abraham Lincoln's presidency.  The abolition of slavery followed the outbreak of the Civil War, so in effect Abraham Lincoln was already in charge of a society that had abolished slavery when he decreed the abolition of slavery since the slavery-supporting states had already left to form the CSA.  What he did was lead one society (the USA) as it destroyed another society (the CSA); Lincoln did not abolish slavery, the USA did. 

Recall that this happened several years after the outbreak of the Civil War.  One of the causes of the war was the fact that Abraham Lincoln was of the radical anti-slavery faction and he became President.  At that point there was no abolition of southern slavery, but the power of the CSA reveals the principle I am talking about, the mere possibility that Abraham Lincoln might harm slavery using his powers caused the southern states to secede and he could not stop them.

If you turn the clock back by 50 years, the majority if not all of US states are slave states.  If you put Abraham Lincoln in charge then, there would be no grand civil war but simply a swift removal in a coup.  That is because while obviously called the USA, in many respects the CSA *is* the original USA while Abraham Lincoln's USA is in many respects something that broke away from the original USA and then ultimately usurped it's own government through Abraham Lincoln, forcing the original USA to rebrand itself the CSA before being destroyed. 

The rise of the progressive individual to power is not the start of the process but the conclusion of the process.  The false conviction that it works the other way around is one of the main things that has prevented anything from actually substantially changing for the better throughout history.

And that's completely ignoring that this is a fantasy game, which makes fantasy worlds, where individuals make massive sweeping changes all the damn time and such heroes are something that they have openly and repeatedly said they want.

Maybe if the individuals are wizards, but that arguably simply replaces oppression-by-muggles with oppression-by-wizards.  Is it accomplishing anything to magically enslave everyone in order to abolish slavery?

There is a lot of ignorance about the place as to how things change, a lot of people think (see scourge above) that societal change did in fact happen simply by decree from powerful rulers.  I am not sure that the authors were knowingly being fantastical when they imagined individuals radically changing a unified society by decree and not ending up simply being deposed effortlessly; they possibly thought that is how things work. 

As I said before, this false conviction that progressive official leadership initiates change rather than it's rise to power being the conclusion of it.  It allows such leadership to be manipulated since *they* have to win because once they have won they can change stuff for the better.  But as described, the society decides who wins and loses, as well as what that means. 

That is why the activist role is different from just any random individual aspiring to public office.  The activist divides society and society punishes the activist by depriving him *of* various rewards, including public office; society's aim is to get him to accept it's win-lose complex.  That means that any regular player in adventure mode that just sets out to take over sites is actually the very opposite of an activist. 

The end here is to get people to reject the win-lose complex of the society and break away to form a new society.  Then the new society 'feeds' on the old society, gradually drawing more and more people and resources into itself.  The pinnacle of this process is when the public offices belonging to the old society are stolen from it and it is at this point that the roles switch, the supporters of the old society are now forced to become activists and the supporters of the new society now determine the win-lose complex. 

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This kind of stuff falls under Law and Customs release, it is not Post-1.  If these ideas are implemented once everything ELSE of value is done, then I have no problem because at that point the devs do have enough time to do it properly.  The danger is that it will either result in a simple but unrealistic situation when it does not need to be in the game for the sake of realism, or it will elongate Law and Customs to the point that it gets in the way of a whole raft of stuff that needs doing. 
That is what I was arguing for! If Toady decides that this would take too much work, he should cut this from L&C and move it to Post-1 (or around Economy). Not everything has to be implemented in one pass. Do you agree?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14