Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Gridland Survival Z: OOC Thread/Shipping thread  (Read 5992 times)

GM_3826

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gridland Survival Z: OOC Thread. Signups Open!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 01:32:06 pm »

Hey. I'm interested.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:39:44 pm by GM_3826 »
Quote from: Albert Einstein
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Quote from: Albert Einstein, as well
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 06:46:10 pm »

To GM_3826, you may want to consider giving yourself at least one offensive ability. I will also mention that each grid tile represents an entire territory, so skill effecting multiple tiles would be... Expensive.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 06:47:14 pm »

area of effect of 15 feet most likely.

GM_3826

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 07:39:58 pm »

Thanks for letting me know. I've edited her list of abilities.

Edit: So I thought about it, and realized that even if a Healing Field having an area of 15 feet made sense, if this game was really so abstract that a tile represented large area, I had no idea what the range on her Crystal Barrier and Solar Beam abilities should be. What is the standard for a ranged attack/ability? I do want Healing Hands to be melee, which is easy enough to grasp.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:52:03 pm by GM_3826 »
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2018, 07:41:35 pm »

Regarding Francis...

Well I guess I have to give you credit where its due. Your application exceeds what I expected from you. I expected another Gilbert rehash.

There are still a couple of issues I'll point out. First of all, I am inclined to discourage the use of adding in your own prices for your abilities. If accepted as is, I'll need to do some strange things if I want to keep thing in any kind of balance.

Arsenal crate could actually work fairly well as it is. Any commissions would need to be negotiated as opposed to being inherent to the skill though, though I wouldn't recommend price gouging people when you need them to have any chance to survive. You will have to deal with some random item generation however.

Resupply box is a bit more problematic as I wasn't planning on having things like ammo being a thing. Its all about the energy. While I am going to rule that you can make up your own resources with your abilities, you cannot get these resources for free, so you wouldn't be able to get a point every time that a resupply box is used.

The weapon remantler ability just looks like a colossal headache as it is. You'll need to either redesign the ability completely or ditch it entirely.

And as a final note, if you want to start the game with an item, you would need to work it in as part of one of your abilities. (If it wasn't obvious enough by now, you are not limited to just three)

For the character idea response: Well I was starting to get sick of using the same old ice cat character concept over and over.

For the arsenal crate ability response: Alright. The catch with it though, is well, I can't really work out a full shop list for it, so expect for now just a placeholder list of basic weaponry for now. But yet again, killing enemies before they kill you IS what people should be doing anyways. And they could probably also get points for doing various helpful things, like repairing structures, healing teammates, and other general supportive stuff. The explanation for the arsenal crate needing arsenal points is that it needs some form of powering and arsenal points are that powering.

For the resupply box response: To be fair, I actually wasn't sure about what type of ranged weapon ammo system you were planning, as the closest thing you had to an ammo system in Gridland Survival 1 was just arrows for bows, as the only ammo-consuming items ingame were bows, which, as with essentially any bow, is single shot, but oh well.

For the remantler response: I might as well just ditch the remantler and scrap system entirely. It's just going to be too much of a hassle.

As for a starting item, well, I can't think of a good way to make myself start with a shotgun + some ammo.

I'll work on an edited sheet to reflect your response.

I might as well add some actual attack abilities as well so I have some way to grab stuff from my arsenal crate, as even though I do basically own it, I'll still need arsenal points to power it for materializing whatever I want to buy.
it's over

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 08:12:39 pm »

So what I changed:

-Removed the remantler ability as the GM described it as a dumpster fire (which I find to be funny and actually true), and also scrap as well, since scrap was only really useful for the remantler idea, which I removed since it would be too hard to implement.

-Added a bit of clarifications on my Arsenal Crate and Resupply Box

-I couldn't find a way to make starting with a shotgun + ammo for it to make sense so I scrapped that

-Added two defensive abilities, a trapping ability, and a crowd control ability.
it's over

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 01:05:22 pm »

So I am going to do a quick rundown of what role my character does for our group. She's kinda like a nuclear device, ish, a tactical liability, but a strategic asset. I am hoping that due to how she is basically a cursed character, her abilities will be slightly more powerful than average, and that due to its drawbacks Rampage will be above the power curve(Berserk rampage is kind-of a mix of an evangellion going berserk, and Lucy's escape from elfen lied). I will also quickly list the ways she is cursed.
1. cannot use her active abilities except under specific conditions, typically when everything has gone to crap.
2. One of her powers will completely exhaust her energy if she lets it. And probably put her deep in dangerous territory.
3. She has a chance of using said power accidentally.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:11:57 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 01:07:08 pm »

Just as well I can float above..

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 05:06:57 pm »

0cra_tr0per, your newest application does not fix all of the issues that I previously discussed.

I'll also mention that your abilities seem to lack any kind of theme to them. Its not strictly necessary to have one, but still.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 05:29:42 pm »

Hey supernerd, would it be OK for a character to be an inanimate object possessed by a spirit? Since I am currently not too happy with my character from a gameplay standpoint and am thinking of making a new character sheet.
My Power armor arms race

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 05:39:58 pm »

I don't see why not.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 06:05:46 pm »

Not using please ignore Try number two
Name: The spirit of sorrow, or Lilia
Appearance: Any Item she possesses will gain a small blood red gem at the hilt/handle/ a good place for one, and the object will appear to be surrounded by an aura of darkness. When she manifests she appears as a Woman wearing clothing reminiscent of her monster form, with blood red eyes and two small horns. Her eldritch form looks like this

Other Fluff
Lilia is an ancient eldritch entity who's physical form was imprisoned in an alternate dimension, while her mind was forced into an object. Over the years she has had many wielders, manipulating each to try and set herself free, permanently.

Abilities
(Passive) Symbiosis: You and your host share energy and may communicate over any distance, the host has increased strength, speed, and toughness.
(Passive) Power trade: Lilia may give her host one of her abilities in exchange for one of her host's abilities, both retain whatever ability they give to the other.
(Passive)Anchor: This character is bound to an Item, and the life of whoever has that Item. While this character can change what Item they are bound to, the item they are bound too will always have slightly increased stats. They cannot move their item or eat at all.
(I dunno)Avatar: This character can project an avatar to interact with the world at large, though their powers are weakened while using the avatar. Since this avatar is not their true body if it gets killed they return to the item they're bound to until they regenerate.
(Active) Devouring darkness: This character can send tendrils out which consume part of a monster to gain some of its strength and/or abilities.
(Active) Monster mode: this character can transform into a monstrous version of themselves, while they do have to pay energy each turn to maintain it, while it lasts they gain a boost to their abilities.
(Active) Rampage: By unleashing all of their power and rage this character goes on a rampage, killing all in their path and seeking out new targets if they run out.(roll a dice, you must use rampage for that many turns, if you run out of monsters on the tile you are currently at, you will automatically move to find more monsters.)
(Active) Shadow Blast: Fire off a powerful beam of energy at a target.
(Active) Shadow interdiction: Sends out a tendril of darkness that blocks/redirects one incoming attack.
(Active) We are one: With consent from the host Lilia can Send their body into the shadow realm and call out her true form, a massive creature twice the size of a normal human, while this is active both the host and lilia can use their all of their partner's abilities and share control of their body. The monster itself has incredible strength and durability.
(Add more ability lines as needed)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:46:49 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 06:10:00 pm »

Hua... You know that is going to become an issue if we team up. Also, I need a hairclip.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 06:33:30 pm »

0cra_tr0per, your newest application does not fix all of the issues that I previously discussed.

I'll also mention that your abilities seem to lack any kind of theme to them. Its not strictly necessary to have one, but still.

I might as well nerf resupply commission to one tenth of a point.

As for the lack of theming, well, I just want something useful for various situations. Need a doorway blocked off? Firemines. Mechanical enemies being a pain? Electromagnetic storms can stop them. Have to take a hit? Blood Armor and Iceburst Shielding will provide needed protection.

Also, it should be noted since my firemines explode into flames, burning any enemies that are near the explosion, that enemies with thermal vision will be able to see landmine-shaped heat signatures through objects and, if they're intelligent enough to tell the difference between a player and a trap, will try and avoid it.

All I changed was a resupply box nerf.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:39:21 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

GM_3826

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2018, 06:00:03 am »

So, uh, I'm going to ask again.

What should the range on my abilities be? Besides Healing Field.

Reposting my application again so that you can see it.
Hey. I'm interested.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7