Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Gridland Survival Z: OOC Thread/Shipping thread  (Read 5990 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Gridland Survival Z: OOC Thread/Shipping thread
« on: August 24, 2018, 06:43:52 pm »

Click here for the IC thread

Welcome to the world of Gridland Survival Z! This is a variation of a variation of some other game that I hosted in the past or something. It takes inspiration from Gridland Survival, Black Zenith and something else I can't seem to remember the name of...

Its sort of like my old game, but with less starving to death and more combat. This one has sort of an anime vibe to it. Your main objective is to survive for as long as possible. Fend off waves of monsters using whatever abilities you would like to have. You'll have to be clever though! You'll need to make proper use of the limited resources available to you and communicate effectively with your team if you want to last for very long!

(Warning: Teamwork is mandatory)

Game Mechanics (More will be added later as they become relevant. All rules will be added to the first post)

Spoiler: Player Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Food and Energy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Energy Multiplier (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scouting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New Players (click to show/hide)

Signup Sheet
This game is not first come first serve. If you want to play this game you'll need your sheet to be of decent quality. The below signup template has a bit of fluff information to give me an idea of your characters "Theme" and whatnot. This is pretty flexible. I would recommend that you trend towards a human-like character but this is not mandatory.

Below that is an ability list. You can have as many abilities as you want (As long as it is less than twenty). However! The more abilities you have the more energy you will expend. I advise only getting the abilities you think you will need. Note that "passive" abilities cost more than active ones.

It goes without saying, but if you try to cheat the system then your application will not be accepted.

Spoiler: Signup Template (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 03:37:13 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gridland Survival Z
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:44:23 pm »

Character Info
Spoiler: Emily (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vivien (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Benjamin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Keith (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:39:45 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gridland Survival Z: OOC Thread
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 07:25:56 pm »

Name: Luna
Appearance: Silver Hair and Green Eyes. Short. Dark Skin.
Other Fluff: Manakete. Uses a Dragonstone to transform. Actually 600 years old, despite looking like a child.

Abilities
(PASSIVE)Levitation: Capable of floating above the ground, transversing terrain with ease.
(PASSIVE)Manakete: Fireproof, and quite warm. Immune to heat, burn, and cold damage. Including Lava, though blizzards can sap her heat. Near immortal, age-wise, but can be killed. Tough and heavy body though, for her size. Weighs about the same as an adult male.
(Shift/Active)Transform: Transform into a dragon and shoot balls of energy at your foes. Or crush them, whatever works.

Divine Stone of Return Soul: Luna's Dragonstone, this stone restores itself from Luna's own energy over time. It can even be reborn if it's ever destroyed after an hour of Focus in a high energy location.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:16:28 pm by TricMagic »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:40:08 pm »

Not the one I am using.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:43:52 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:41:23 pm »

Is my character design OK? I could easily make a far simpler version which still gets the Idea across. If you're wondering the overall theme is that emily is supposed to be a ticking time bomb. while normally she is fairly useless in a fight, if things get bad enough she succumbs to the powers she has been trying to suppress, going into a berserk rage, which I represented with how you must use berserk each turn if you can.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:59:37 am by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 01:18:01 pm »

Lets see here.

For Luna...
The ability "Dragon's Body" appears to be two abilities in one. I will point out that adding multiple effects into a single "Ability" will not give you some kind of an advantage.

For Emily...
Suppressed powers: No ability can provide energy for nothing and I'll veto anything that tries to. This ability is difficult to understand as it is written, so you may want to split that up into several more easily understood abilities or something.

Savage rampage: While not against the actual rules of the game, it is an ability that I would recommend you never use. Telekinetic Smash seems to be a flat out better ability to have that would be more useful most of the time which wouldn't screw you over every time you use it.

Maybe post again once you finish doing the tweaks you want. I noticed you updated it several times after posting your original question.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 01:53:02 pm »

Name: Emily
Appearance: Normal schoolgirl, except for a small set of six horns placed around her head like a crown. A little timid, and scared, and softspoken. When in monster form her eyes glow blood red, her horns grow large enough to be obvious, her limbs lengthen, strengthen, and she gains razor sharp claws. In this form her invisible friend lilia takes over, lilia is aggressive, abrasive, loves blood, and will kill anyone who even thinks of hurting emily.
Other Fluff: Emily was never normal, when she was little she encountered an entity known as lilia, who bonded with her. Giving her a small set of horns, an amulet shaped like an eldritch sigil, and a permanent friend. Emily's parents grew concerned when she kept insisting that lilia was real, long after the time when she should have left invisible friends like that behind. Eventually emily's parents tried to take lilia's amulet away from emily, causing lilia to seize control and kill everyone. After this and a few more incidents emily learned to surpress both lilia's ability to take control and her memories of what transpired, leaving lilia as a weird voice in her head. But lilia continued to seek to protect emily, broiling against the mental restraints put around her, trying to break free and seize control.
(Stuff in these is meant as my personal thoughts for how a power could work)
Abilities
(Passive) NOOOOOOO!!: This character is emotionally attached to those around them, should they witness one of their teammates dying they will flip out, causing their powers to surge, creating a massive blast of energy, exhausting their own power supply.(can only be triggered once every ten turns) this also typically unlocks some new facet of their powers(gain low powered ability or bonus)
(Curse) Suppressed powers: this character actively rejects some or all of their powers (cannot normally use active abilities). Their powers only manifest in extreme stressful situations (self or allies taking damage), but once they stop using their powers they cannot use them until they manifest again (if you don't use an active ability each turn you go back to not being able to use them). (Probably compensate the many downsides of this power somehow.)
(Secondary curse) LET ME OUT!!: Due to how emily's powers work, the longer she uses them the greater the risk that lilia will escape and go on a rampage (Chance that when she uses her powers emily will activate berserk rampage)
(Active) Berserk rampage: Unleashing their alter ego this character can go on a massive rampage across the map(if you run out of monsters you will automatically move to find more), killing everything in their path by tearing it apart with their powers, only stopping when they run out of energy(if you used this ability last turn, you must use it this turn if you can)
(Active) Monster mode: this character can transform into a monstrous version of themselves, while they do have to pay energy each turn to maintain it, while it lasts they gain a boost to their abilities.
(Active) Calm: By focused effort Emily can try to reassert control Doing so also Heals those around her and prevents her from using any other ability (sometimes prevents all active abilities from being used this turn, including berserk rampage, using this overrides the must use berserk rampage if you did so last turn rule.).
(active) Telekinetic stab: Using a focused telekinetic blast Lilia can blast holes in objects.
(Active) Telekinetic Slam: A wide area blast of telekinetic force Emily can use to crush enemies.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:05:34 am by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 01:54:10 pm »

Eh, no advantage needed. If it is two abilities, so be it. She is a Manakete though.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 02:00:14 pm »

Seems interesting but I can't really think of a good character sheet that doesn't involve reusing stuff at the moment, so I'll just PTW for the time being.
it's over

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 02:03:26 pm »

To note, being completely Fireproof is the ability. The rest is just natural, along with natural Fireproofing.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 05:29:58 pm »

That should be fine. You're nowhere near the 19 skill limit.

Also dgr11897, could you please remove one of the two applications? I'm not sure which one I should be looking at.
Re: Gridland Survival Z: OOC Thread. Signups Open!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 05:36:27 pm »

I'll just stay here and ship the characters.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 08:24:07 pm »

I want to go for more of a support role, focusing on utility deployables to help keep the team stocked with good weapons and ammo, and have abilities I can just use and spend more time using my items on hand.

EDIT: I noticed that I kinda forgot to give myself a weapon, so just give me an 8 round version of the XM1014 and 75 spare buckshot for it as my means of defense.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:43:41 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 10:39:36 pm »

This looks like fun, and the non-shipping parts seem okay as well.

Ill start working on a sheet (or two).

Edit: Perhaps I will bring back a less research focused Elfa from the previous Gridland Survival game.. Hmm.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:07:27 pm by Elvish Miner »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 12:36:41 pm »

Regarding Francis...

Well I guess I have to give you credit where its due. Your application exceeds what I expected from you. I expected another Gilbert rehash.

There are still a couple of issues I'll point out. First of all, I am inclined to discourage the use of adding in your own prices for your abilities. If accepted as is, I'll need to do some strange things if I want to keep thing in any kind of balance.

Arsenal crate could actually work fairly well as it is. Any commissions would need to be negotiated as opposed to being inherent to the skill though, though I wouldn't recommend price gouging people when you need them to have any chance to survive. You will have to deal with some random item generation however.

Resupply box is a bit more problematic as I wasn't planning on having things like ammo being a thing. Its all about the energy. While I am going to rule that you can make up your own resources with your abilities, you cannot get these resources for free, so you wouldn't be able to get a point every time that a resupply box is used.

The weapon remantler ability just looks like a colossal headache as it is. You'll need to either redesign the ability completely or ditch it entirely.

And as a final note, if you want to start the game with an item, you would need to work it in as part of one of your abilities. (If it wasn't obvious enough by now, you are not limited to just three)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7