Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Great Turf War – Splatoon Arms Race Core Thread  (Read 6415 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Great Turf War – Splatoon Arms Race Core Thread
« on: August 23, 2018, 10:43:57 pm »

For as long as living memory holds, the Inklings and the Octolings have been at peace with one another. Well, at least as much as they've been at peace with themselves. Sometimes Lings didn't like each other, considered each other unfresh, but there was always plenty of room to go find your own place, away from anyone whom made you want to strangle them.

This is now changing, though most are of yet unaware of it.

For, unnoticed and unwarned of, the sea has begin to rise. Why? No one knows. Perhaps the ice caps are finally recovering from the ancient war so long ago. Perhaps it is some evil Salmonid experiment, hidden beneath the deep blue sea. Perhaps the sun is shining unkindly upon this world... or perhaps it is something that is just happening, and the reason why really doesn't matter.

Because what matters, is that the great island is shrinking, one shoreline at a time. The lowlands soon will become unlivable wetlands, farmlands will flood, rivers overflow their banks, and only the highlands will remain habitable.

And there isn't going to be enough highlands for everyone. Most Lings do not yet believe things will get bad. Most Lings, Inkling or Octoling, are not even aware of the rising waters as of yet. But some Lings, Octoling or Inkling, can see what is coming, the nightmare slouching slowly but surely towards both races.

Some lings are preparing for what will someday be known as... the Great Turf War.

Now, in this coming time of strife, betrayal, war, and sorrow, only one thing can be known for certain. There will be Ink.

As should be fairly obvious to most people, The Great Turf War Arms Race is, in fact, a Splatoon themed Arms Race. Players will join either the Octolings or the Inklings in the war to settle the future of the island they call home, and Inkopolis itself.

However, unlike most arms races, and as many might expect from a Splatoon themed game, this is not a war fought with bullets, flameguns, poison gas, shrapnel grenades, high explosive bombs, and all those other arms race staples. Instead, this is a war fought with Ink! After all, this is a Turf War, and anyone who's played Splatoon, or even had a sibling talk excitedly about it for a few minutes in their presence, should know what that means.

It means you have to paint the world your own color, that's what. Oh, and maybe Ink up all your enemies while you're at it to keep them from interfering. These are not, however, the Turf Wars players are familiar with. For one thing, there's a lot more then four fighters a team deployed to these battles, and for another... Well, this is set 100 years before Splatoon. Technology has marched on since the Great Turf War, and you're all on the wrong side of that march. At least to start with. The Great Turf war wasn't begin with all the fancy weaponry people see on their TVs, all those cool specials and effective subweapons.

Here, at the dawn of the Great Turf War, the first Ink-Tech weapon has just been invented. It is an innovation that will change the world in the future. It's called the Bamboozler. No, not the Bamboozler 14 Mk insert number here... just the Bamboozler. The Bamboozler 1, if you want to put it that way. It is the first step into a larger world, but it is not a step great enough to achieve victory. Not when the other side has it too.

Your job, as brave Octoling or Inkling engineers, is to advance the frontier of Ink-Technology, find and recruit heroes, construct devastating superweapons, and otherwise lead your side to the ultimate victory of being able to stay up on the surface, instead of being forced down into the underdark below.

So no pressure, eh?

RULES

Spoiler: Arms Race Basics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lanes and Battlezones (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starter Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Things you can design (click to show/hide)

Discord Link : LINK
Octoling Thread Link : LINK
Inkling Thread Link : LINK
General Arms Race Hub Thread : LINK
95% Accurate Basic Setting Lore Post : LINK
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:19:26 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great Turf War – Splatoon Arms Race Core Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:48:16 pm »

I'll put my lot in with the Woomys

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:21:46 pm »

In with the Veemos.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:37:30 pm »

Octos for me!

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 12:17:53 am »

Hmm...

Hey OP/GM would it be possible to utilize theoretical Ling 'Sub-Races' in this?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 12:20:16 am »

Hmm...

Maybe? Like give me an example so i have know which set of probable fanon you are referencing.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 12:27:47 am »

Hmm...

Maybe? Like give me an example so i have know which set of probable fanon you are referencing.
Oh!!!

Well I was thinking stuff like these:

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 12:58:41 am »

Call it 'definitely possible if the dice favor you'.  ;)
Forenia Forever!

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 01:08:32 am »

Call it 'definitely possible if the dice favor you'.  ;)
Well that's good to know.

Hmm...Now I just need to pick a side, Woomy or Veemo?

Edit:
Oh, by the way I found the proper Inkling Sub-Race post:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:13:39 am by Slick »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 02:53:23 am »

PTW
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 06:33:04 am »

Inklings

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 03:52:39 pm »

Alright, so sine I'm a relatively big Splatoon fan despite not being able to actually play the games myself, I decided to take it upon myself to explain some of the lore to those of you who are uninitiated.

So basically, many years in the future, humanity has been wiped out by rising waters and other such things that they caused. After this, for reasons that were not explained canonically but likely have to do with pollution and ocean acidification, various sea creatures begin evolving rapidly into species capable of dwelling on land. Species such as jellyfish, crustaceans of various types, several species of fish, and, most importantly, Squids and Octopi, both of which became beings formed primarily of Ink.
The squids uniformly evolved into the human-like Inklings. Capable of transforming into the shape of a cartoonish squid to swim through ink of the same color as their tentacles, yet their skin too thin to stop their ink based bodies from dissolving in the somewhat polluted and highly acidified ocean waters. The Octopi however, did not evolve nearly as uniformly, becoming the Octarians, a variety of species and subspecies of mostly tentacle like beings, with the rarest and most important of which being the Octolings, effectively Inklings, but as octopi instead of squids, with all the same capabilities and weaknesses as their counterpart species.
Now though, the ocean waters have begun to rise once more, there's not enough space for both Inklings and Octarians to live. Which is where we reach the point of this game.

Now this is the part that's not really relevant to this game, but may give inspiration.
Now, while the humans where all wiped out, much of their culture remained preserved, perfectly so in fact. To the point where modern(in canon not in this game) Inkopolis holds regular events that somewhat frequently involves characters from human fiction, and other aspects of human culture. Things such as Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pokemon, Hello Kitty, and even McDonalds have all canonically survived humanities extinction and made their way into Inkling culture.

Unrelatedly, as I said before, it's a lot more than just Inklings and Octarians who evolved into sapient land dwellers. Jellyfish, Shrimp, Horseshoe crabs, Sea urchins, several species of deep sea fish, even Sea Cucumbers have all joined them on land.
There's only one species besides the main two that's big enough to hold any particular relevance to the setting though. That being the Salmonids, who are, effectively, fish Orks. The Salmonids hold the distinction of being the only non-cephalopod species(that we know of) to be properly capable of swimming through Ink, or in their own case, they swim through sludge. Salmonids are, as the name implies, salmon, who when faced with the threat of polluted and acidifying oceans, evolved not to leave them, but to thrive in them. They are effectively made of some form of pollutant, as can be seen by the fact that the very waters in which they leave have taken on a sickly green color, and every Salmonid carries a large amount of power eggs, which will eventually hatch into normal Salmonids if left in the right conditions for long enough, and provide enough power to run various Octarian machines, and their rare golden eggs hatch into rare, powerful species of salmonid known as 'boss salmonid'.

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 08:09:11 pm »

I'd argue that the Jellyfish are relevant as well, if only because of how many there are.

They just kinda do their own thing though.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 07:31:50 pm »

Octo's for me. Do exited to finally catch one of these from the beginning.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 10:18:14 am »

I think I'll join the Inkling side.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.
Pages: [1] 2