Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Octoling Development Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 3)  (Read 26108 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Octoling Development Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 0)
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 09:36:12 am »

Quote from: vote box
rotodynamic ink pumps: (4) slick, ensorceler, DGR, Failbird
Ye

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Octoling Development Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Summer, Year 0)
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 05:12:12 pm »

Revision : Rotodynamic Ink Pumps (Easy Difficulty)
2+2+1 = 5: Average

Where before ink tanks went chugga chugga chugga, now they go whrr whrr whrr. The pump isn't the only thing taking up room in the Ink tank, there's also valves and such, but it was one of the bigger bits. And now it is a smaller bit, allowing the Ink Tank to, well, tank more ink, increasing the Octoling Militia's ammo supply. It also pumps faster in both directions, allowing for quicker refills (which is then slowed down again because it has more to refill) and a somewhat if not significantly increased weapon charging speed. The pump might be able to pump faster, but the Bamboozler is only designed to take in so much ink at a time. Shoving more in faster does help a bit, and definitely allows for potential new designs that take full advantage of the faster flow, but the Bamboozler will only receive a limited benefit from the faster charging rate. On the other hand, 5% faster is 5% faster, right?

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Octoling Armory (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Summer, Year 0 has begun.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 07:21:42 pm »

Whiplash
The Whiplash is a new type of weapon, yet to many it will seem very familiar. That's because we are once again taking something we have already known and used for many years, the humble ink balloon, and improving upon its utilization. The Whiplash itself consists of two parts, the first part is the weapon itself. The weapon is, effectively, a hose, both in terms of design and function, the main changes are in the head, which is designed with the purpose of functioning as the handle for an attached slingshot that can be folded down when not in use, with the slingshots pocket being large enough to handle your average hand thrown ink balloon.
The hose will, rather than firing pressurized ink over long distances, instead pump out a steady stream of ink at low force. The purpose of this is to allow the weapon to fill balloons, both of the old throwing variety, and our new mines.
The second part of the weapon, is balloons, specifically ones designed with a simple plastic cap that can be popped open and attached to the end of the hose, and then sealed when removed to prevent ink leakage. Every soldier equipped with a whiplash will also be equipped with a large pack of the balloons. These balloons are then filled with the hose and quickly re-capped to be placed into the slingshots pocket and fired at the enemy with far greater force and range than could be managed by hand. The set also comes with a bandoleer three packs on it, these packs are made to hold one filled balloon each, meaning that a Whiplash armed soldier can have up to three filled projectiles ready on their person in addition to whatever they can normally carry.

This weapon is not without its flaws of course. The size of the balloons means they will not ink much turf, compared to larger weapons, and being reliant on balloons to do actual combat damage means that our soldiers will have to back off and resupply when they run out. The Whiplash is more focused on a support role, splatting Inklings with the direct, forceful impact and more focused ink payload of the balloons to give our other soldiers time to properly ink turf with their currently slower weapons, and also filling up mines with far greater speed than the bamboozler.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:24:55 pm by Failbird105 »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 07:47:07 pm »

(Written on phone)
For next revision possibly:
Wideshoota Nozzle
Named by a octoling with a less than normal speech pattern the Wideshoota takes the current Bamboozle and fits a wide oval shape nozzle which presurizes the ink and causes a horizontal spray to cover a large area of ground, imagine putting a thumb over a hoze. While it is fairly short ranged it's area of denial affect will greatly help our militia in the battles to come.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 11:57:03 pm »

Probably should put these here before I forget:
Splatling: A revolution for a revolution, the Splatling is an attempt at a rapid fire Ink gun.  At the heart of the device is a crankshaft that converts rotary motion into a forward-backwards pumping motion to drive its pump while also rotating its three barrels around. The Ink Gun is 'powered' through a hand crank, meaning it fires as fast as the Ling can turn its Crank.

Octo Home Guard: With tensions rising with our Inkling neighbors, it has been decided that a more organized defense will be required in case of conflict. Our Militias will now be organized in a professional Home Guard made up of voluntaries from all walks of Octoling life meeting Bi-Weekly for training in weapon certification, maneuvering in Ink Form, and squad tactics. Though they will initially be armed with current stocks of available gear, when other weapons and equipment become available members will be allowed self-specialization should they prove adept.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 11:35:43 am »

So I'd be all for any of the three recently submitted designs. However I really think we should make a revision to just generally improve our Bamboozler. I'm thinking improving its charging, in terms of; faster charge by making it able to take more ink at a time, making it possible to fire without full charge. Perhaps we could also fit something in there about better range to make it more effective at sniping like the chargers in Splatoon are meant for.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:37:59 am by Failbird105 »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2018, 04:01:37 pm »

So I'd be all for any of the three recently submitted designs. However I really think we should make a revision to just generally improve our Bamboozler. I'm thinking improving its charging, in terms of; faster charge by making it able to take more ink at a time, making it possible to fire without full charge. Perhaps we could also fit something in there about better range to make it more effective at sniping like the chargers in Splatoon are meant for.
Yes

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 05:32:46 pm »

Quote from: Veemobox
Whiplash (1): Failbird
Octo Home Guard ():
Splatling ():
Running Sluice ():
Here we go, a vote box with all the designs for this phase. I also brought back the running sluice because I feel like a roller could be quite useful.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 06:07:50 pm »

Octo Home Guard (1): The Ensorceler
Splatling ():
Running Sluice ():

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2018, 06:26:09 pm »

Splatling (1): Egemma
Running Sluice ():
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:29:45 pm by egemma »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 06:33:19 pm »

]
Splatling (2): Egemma, DGR
Running Sluice ():
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 07:48:46 pm »

Nyeh... I can't deny that the Splatling would be useful if we could actually pull it off properly...
The issue is in doing that. If its not a man-portable weapon(which, considering how even the modern Splatlings in canon are fairly unwieldy, is likely to be the case) then they're basically sitting ducks since lings are very mobile.
There's also potential problems on the subject of refilling the weapon. We need to submerge to refill our tanks, and if we can't submerge with a theoretical Splatling emplacement then we might need to re-connect the tank each time we want to refill(alternatively it could wind up that we submerge with the tube still hooked up and it just sinks into the ink partway along).

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 08:00:11 pm »

A big Splatling has more in common with Special Weapons than Primaries. Since we're aiming for a smaller but still rapid fire Primary Weapon, maybe the revolving barrels are a bit much? A crank-fired automatic weapon would still be an improvement over what we have now.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 08:36:02 pm »

Nyeh... I can't deny that the Splatling would be useful if we could actually pull it off properly...
The issue is in doing that. If its not a man-portable weapon(which, considering how even the modern Splatlings in canon are fairly unwieldy, is likely to be the case) then they're basically sitting ducks since lings are very mobile.
There's also potential problems on the subject of refilling the weapon. We need to submerge to refill our tanks, and if we can't submerge with a theoretical Splatling emplacement then we might need to re-connect the tank each time we want to refill(alternatively it could wind up that we submerge with the tube still hooked up and it just sinks into the ink partway along).
A big Splatling has more in common with Special Weapons than Primaries. Since we're aiming for a smaller but still rapid fire Primary Weapon, maybe the revolving barrels are a bit much? A crank-fired automatic weapon would still be an improvement over what we have now.
Well I made the design based on what information I could glean after a couple Google searches and this Water Gun I saw Ads for as a child:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So I wasn’t thinking that it’d be all to large...

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 09:04:14 pm »

Splatling (3): Egemma, DGR, Slick
Running Sluice ():
Alright...I guess I’ll go with this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21