Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Octoling Development Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 3)  (Read 26103 times)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: Octoling Development Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 2)
« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2019, 01:30:04 am »

We will get the knight!...not right now though. Probably next turn or something.
Quote from: Veemobox
Swizzler (1): Failbird
Fizz-balloon ():
Rainmaker ():
Boiler Pack ():
Newspaper Knight ():
Davy Jones (2): KitRougard, Piratejoe
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2019, 01:42:17 am »

Swizzler (2): Failbird, The Ensorceler
Fizz-balloon ():
Rainmaker ():
Boiler Pack ():
Newspaper Knight ():

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2019, 07:34:48 am »

If we nail the Davy, we could use a Revision to copy it into a smaller, similar version, weaker, with more focus on distance and aiming...
You know, the Swizzler, just made a little differently. Like, a pre-loaded Ink Tank or something.
I mean, I'm not sure that would actually be possible, we definitely wouldn't be able to make it go a greater distance without changing the entire mechanism with which it works because the entire reason why the Davy Jones can travel so far in the first place is because it contains a level of ink and physics defying cephalopod power that can only be achieve with a special. Without the ink energy, all the ink being pumped into it would likely cause the projectile to launch prematurely if it's not actively held in place by something, and attempting to get that range using pure ink-pressure alone would lead to absolutely horrid ink efficiency. If we made a scaled down Davy Jones as a primary weapon, it would more than likely be a grenade launcher if it even works at all, most likely never a long range weapon(it would be pitifully weak at long ranges in fact, if it explodes at all at that distance since the pressure is just so low), unless we develop actual real world style rocket propulsion at least.

There's also the fact that it would be a primary weapon with limited ammunition, whereas any other weapon you can just dive into the ink and refill your tank, the Davy Jones uses solid projectiles that are filled with ink. So you can only have so many shots before you have to go and find more ammunition, which gives it an innate disadvantage against literally ALL regular ink weaponry, and honestly might wind up making it get classed as a sub-weapon. The current Davy Jones can get away with it by being a special so you can only use it very occasionally, but a primary weapon is meant to be used as, well, your primary source of damage.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:11:51 am by Failbird105 »

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2019, 11:56:17 am »

Hm... Ink Propulsion would be a good thing to base a weapon off of, anyways. A primary for real Turf-Taking, that leaves a swimmable line behind the colorful projectile? Slow to fire, takes some charge-up time, but otherwise runs off of a normal ink tank... Might be a full Design, but I need to write this down!
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2019, 12:49:25 pm »

Hm... Ink Propulsion would be a good thing to base a weapon off of, anyways. A primary for real Turf-Taking, that leaves a swimmable line behind the colorful projectile? Slow to fire, takes some charge-up time, but otherwise runs off of a normal ink tank... Might be a full Design, but I need to write this down!
I mean, Bamboozlers already make big swimmable lines, chargers(which is what the Bamboozler would qualify as, even if they're not very good ones) don't fire single projectiles so much as they just spray ink forward in a line. And while I do agree that ink propulsion is certainly interesting, I'm not really sure how feasible it is for regular weaponry right now, or at least, primary weaponry.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 12:52:04 pm by Failbird105 »

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2019, 02:03:19 pm »

Ah, the wonders of bouncing ideas around. We're already Vehicle Supremacists, and the Sky Breezes have space on the bottom for explosives...

Ink Propelled Missiles, baby. A smaller version of the Davy Jones that can be mass-produced and strapped to the bottom of our flying things for explosive results... I might just write this up. It'll take a good hit on the Jones, but I think this'll work wonderfully, and would be so derivitave it could fit into a Revision!
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2019, 02:40:58 pm »

Ah, the wonders of bouncing ideas around. We're already Vehicle Supremacists, and the Sky Breezes have space on the bottom for explosives...

Ink Propelled Missiles, baby. A smaller version of the Davy Jones that can be mass-produced and strapped to the bottom of our flying things for explosive results... I might just write this up. It'll take a good hit on the Jones, but I think this'll work wonderfully, and would be so derivitave it could fit into a Revision!
I'm still not sure it would work anywhere near your expectations for it. The problem with ink propelled weaponry is that the propulsion is also the payload. The further it travels the weaker it will get because its using the ink that it would otherwise be killing people with just to reach the people that need to be killed. Any ink propelled weapon just becomes a dud after traveling more than a certain time since it no longer has enough pressure to reliably burst on impact, and I don't imagine that time will be very long. We could make the missiles so big that a sky-breeze can only carry two of them and they still might be outclassed in power by a couple punt-bombs unless we use the missiles as bombs.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:43:16 pm by Failbird105 »

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 10, 2019, 02:58:39 pm »

Well, my idea is that they're pre-made, with two chambers - The highly dangerous front end payload, stuffed with as much ink as a lack of Ink Energy allows, and a "gas tank" in a way that gets stuffed with the contents of a typical Ink Tank. The Payload is pre-filled, and the Gas Tank gets filled when we launch. It could also be a Secondary, similar to our Punt Bombs, on that note. Maybe make it better at smashing through windows.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 10, 2019, 03:15:09 pm »

Well, my idea is that they're pre-made, with two chambers - The highly dangerous front end payload, stuffed with as much ink as a lack of Ink Energy allows, and a "gas tank" in a way that gets stuffed with the contents of a typical Ink Tank. The Payload is pre-filled, and the Gas Tank gets filled when we launch. It could also be a Secondary, similar to our Punt Bombs, on that note. Maybe make it better at smashing through windows.
Not really sure it will be able to launch very far with so little ink and so much weight though.

I mean, I suppose we can always try to crib some notes from the squids and their own special-free anti-science bullshit to try and make it work if we can figure out how to use it in a write-up, we already did a bit of that for Typhoon, but I'd just rather not resort to cheap tricks like that to squeeze our designs by.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 03:20:45 pm by Failbird105 »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 10, 2019, 04:42:18 pm »

Nyeh, working on a vehicle design because the idea won't get out of my head. It's basically an ATV where the front wheels are enlarged and combined into a roller(like the Splatoon weapon type). The idea is that it can rush ahead of the group at high speeds making a path for allies to follow in, will have a clear protective plate over the front for the driver as well. Having trouble thinking of other ideas for it though.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 10, 2019, 05:02:33 pm »

Hm, I like the idea, it has potential for assault-tanky type stuff. But the fact we haven't even invented the wheels alone (Rollers) could be problematic.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 10, 2019, 05:11:32 pm »

I mean, I feel like civilian vehicles were mentioned to exist earlier, and we've certainly made completely new things before(The Splatling for instance, a completely different weapon from our default Bamboozlers, and we made it as our first gun) in terms of the roller. The +1 to the design(since it's a vehicle) is meant to help with that sort of stuff, plus it doesn't have to deal with the difficulties of being made able to fly so it likely shouldn't be as hard to make excluding the roller part.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:13:12 pm by Failbird105 »

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 10, 2019, 06:26:01 pm »

...True. I could probably write up a weird story about the idea... Right now, actually.

The Roll-Out
Type: Vehicle
A story reached us recently about a squad of Octolings somewhere that managed to requisition a civilian ATV. These brave, foolhardy souls used it to great effect in combat, carrying extra Ink Tanks, leaving a constant trail of Ink behind them to lead their charge, and at one point, at least according to the stories, they...
strapped a bunch of Punt Bombs to the front of the vehicle and ran over an opposing squad of Inklings, Splatting them all?
Madness in its finest form, and though it may merely be a Fresh rumor, it gave us an idea - The Roll-Out.
The Roll-Out is a heavily modified ATV. The most notable change is the replacement of the front wheels with something we considered before as a potential Primary Weapon - A giant Ink Roller. The Roll-Out also has an extra seat and a swivel-mounted Splatling on the back, and two larger-than-normal Ink Tanks that keep the Roller filled and the Splatling spinning. Balloon Mines and other weaponry can be filled out of these tanks as well. Other design improvements include a heavy-duty windshield and cutting-edge wiper blades, to protect both driver and passenger.

Friendly Reminder from your Scientists: The next Vehicle-related thing we do gets a +1 to its roll!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:07:23 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 10, 2019, 06:44:45 pm »

Swizzler (3): Failbird, The Ensorceler, Slick
Fizz-balloon ():
Rainmaker ():
Boiler Pack ():
Newspaper Knight ():

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 10, 2019, 06:47:28 pm »

The Roll-Out
Type: Vehicle
A story reached us recently about a squad of Octolings somewhere that managed to requisition a civilian ATV. These brave, foolhardy souls used it to great effect in combat, carrying extra Ink Tanks, leaving a constant trail of Ink behind them to lead their charge, and at one point, at least according to the stories, they...
strapped a bunch of Punt Bombs to the front of the vehicle and ran over an opposing squad of Inklings, Splatting them all?
Madness in its finest form, and though it may merely be a Fresh rumor, it gave us an idea - The Roll-Out.
The Roll-Out is a heavily modified ATV. The most notable change is the replacement of the front wheels with something we considered before as a potential Primary Weapon - A giant Ink Roller. The Roll-Out also has an extra seat and a swivel-mounted Splatling on the back, and a massive Ink Tank that keeps the Roller filled and the Splatling spinning. Balloon Mines and other weaponry can be filled out of this tank as well. Other design improvements include a heavy-duty windshield and cutting-edge wiper blades, to protect both driver and passenger.
Hmm, maybe swap out the one huge ink tank with two smaller ink tanks, so they can be placed symmetrically rather than needing to up a big chunk of the vehicles center in order to not throw it off balance.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21