Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33

Author Topic: Inkling Research Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 3)  (Read 34612 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Inkling Research Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Summer, Year 1)
« Reply #210 on: September 07, 2018, 08:10:16 pm »

Oh damnit. Well, we learned something from it at least. If we want to spend more time on this we should at least add a scope or such.

Avanti!

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 07, 2018, 08:34:37 pm »

Let's try to get that complex tag to go away so at least our Markslings can be expected to have one.
NoScope Super Cartridges
The connectors between the ⑨-Scope's eight cartridges and the main pressure chamber is a needlessly complex mess. By instead using a trio of upsized cartridges the same amount of Ink can be pressurized while streamlining the charger's production as well as making reloads a simpler matter.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2018, 08:48:50 pm »

So we would be making the 9-Scope a 4-Scope? Neat.

Avanti!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2018, 09:33:19 pm »

Inkdisk Revision{Probably a design, now that I wrote it all up.}[Maybe for later]

Sub-weapon: Vortex Spiral Inkdisk
A device that makes use of the Super Sea Snail, Strange things Super Sea Snails.

Casing is Super Sea Snail Treated Plastics, these are designed to never melt under heat, as well as turning heat to energy, cooling the casing, and maintaining the compression of the Ice Gem inside. This central casing is key to hold the ink.

These casings also hold a number of Super Sea Snail Filters, cool and ready to go. 2 to be specific, one on each side. The casing is malleable, to better fit the gem and hold it.

SSS Treated Plastic is made with Super Sea Snail Slime during it's production, leaving it malleable. Easy to place the gem inside through the filters. Super Sea Snails are strange things.

Super-compressed Ink, the Ice Gem- A ground Super Sea Snail Shell is added to a large batch of ink. This crystalizes the ink into an Icy Ink Gemstone, about the size of a fist.

Ice normally forms from cooling, and is expanded. This type of ice however, forms from pure compression, shrinking it. It is important to immediately case the Ice Ink Gem, before it heats up and explodes back to it's liquid ink state.

These two form the core of the VSI. Now that it has been built, the various parts are added on.

Ring around the core
This ring contains the timer and basic circuitry, as well as a button that when pressed, primes the disk to go off. Pressing it twice however stops it from going off. Instead 6 Sticky Anchors are primed. When the Disk is placed flat on a surface, 3 of them go off, sticking it, and the other side of the VSI triggers, splaying ink up and out. This can serve as a shield, temporarily, as well as ink any Octoling silly enough to cross the stream of ink spray.

As for the single button press, you have 2 seconds before it activates, spraying ink from both sides. Be sure to throw it skillfully, though wildly will do as well as the ink flies everywhere along its ark. As an added bonus, it explodes when it hits something solid, the Ice Ink Gem instantly turning back to ink as the casing's fire mechanism is damaged, discharging the remainder.

Needless to say, do not drop, bump, or others smash it against a wall unless you want to fly. There is a lot of ink in such a small package.

Can also just be thrown, but that's not as fresh. Still blows up though.

Sticky Anchors use Super Sticky Sea Snail Slime to stick when they go off. There are 6, 3 on each side in a triangle formation. They are connected to the ring itself, and it's more like there are three than six Sticky Anchors.

Imagine a Triangle, their are 3 points. Noe imagine those points have a ball on them. Now imagine that ball splitting open to form a T stand. Those are the Sticky Anchors.

Button and Sensor
Button on one side, Sensor on the other. The Button is just a button. The Sensor sensing where the flat surface is, and fires that sides Sticky Anchors. And this triggers the other side of the Sub-weapon to fire. Simple system here. Needless to say, the Sensor uses the Eyes of the Super Sea Snail to serve this purpose.

All in all, this design requires the entire Super Sea Snail to make. As well as some Plastic. Looking at this now, this strikes me more as a design than a revision.

Ah well, it's there for later.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:35:25 pm by TricMagic »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 08, 2018, 08:03:36 am »

Let's try to get that complex tag to go away so at least our Markslings can be expected to have one.
NoScope Super Cartridges + Tripod and Scope
The connectors between the ⑨-Scope's eight cartridges and the main pressure chamber is a needlessly complex mess. By instead using a trio of upsized cartridges the same amount of Ink can be pressurized while streamlining the charger's production as well as making reloads a simpler matter.

Due to increased recoil, a simple stand is also made so it can snipe from on the ground. We also try to get around to adding a scope.

This, but I Add the stand to deal with recoil when sniping. And the scope that was put by the wayside.

More usefully...

Sonics Chamber
Given that they kinda played around with this... Fairy dust. Here is the revision. We can also get rid of all the superfluous cartridges and piping for this single Sonics Chamber.

The added complexities of many pipes are removes for a SSS pipe leading to our SSS Protein Filter placed at the back of the Ink Charging Chamber in the Gun itself, as well as one behind that to trim the waves into it's needed form.

The Sonics Chamber is made up of a carved piece of SSS Shell which connects to the pipe leading to the firing chamber, as well as SSS hardened plastic to form the case of the chamber around it.. The SSS Hardened Plastic is designed to bounce sound waves inward, in this instance. The pipe is also made up of the Plastic, though turned as such that the waves don't bounce back into the Sonics Chamber. And the Shell directs all the sound waves into that pipe like a whirlpool being sucked in.

On the whole, the rest of it is filled with compressed air. The real key is the SSS dust in that air. When the trigger of our weapon is pulled, the Gun charges. When it is released, a signal is sent to this dust. This causes a contained explosion mode up of sound, sending the shockwave into the carved SSS Shell, through the pipe and filters, and into the chamber where it forms pressure waves to surround the fired ink, boosting the shot to long-range and keeping it on target.

As the pressure waves are formed of sound, this does not deplete the compressed air or SSS Dust already in the Sonics Chamber. This means it's the actual gear needed to bring the .36 Sonic Inkscope to it's true form that was envisioned. No need for all those complicated pipes, hopefully.

As the shots also fly straight and true from the Inkscope, they are at least reliable when aiming at any distance.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 02:05:32 pm by TricMagic »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2018, 11:07:15 am »

I think the NoScope Super Cartridges might be the best place to start. Work with what you know, I say. Taking out the extra cartridges should make it at least a little easier to fire and produce. If it is easier, then hopefully then our engineers might be able to take a little extra time to make a scope to go along with it. If not, then we'll probably just have to make do with the old fashioned plastic sights.

Which isn't ideal, but at least we'll have a long ranged option. We don't really need to equip too many Markslings with this weapon. It's only really handy in Long-Range and maybe selectively in the Medium Range after all. I'll go ahead and set-up a quote.

Quote from: Revisions
-.36 Sonic Inkscope Improvements-

NoScope Super Catridges (Adding a scope or a stand if there is extra project time) [2] Emral, Birdy51
Sonics Chamber - [1] TricMagic
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:16:07 am by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2018, 02:00:02 pm »

The ⑨-Scope seems like it can be turned into an artillery piece later on down the line. At the very least, the amount of ink in the shot should help it at mid-long range.

The Sonics Chamber will render it's huge recoil mute. More than that, we won't need to attach new cartridges to it to charge up another shot. So that does help it fire multiple shots in a single engagement. It's will be great at fire support at the outpost, and can actually be used at mid-range more than once a fight.

As well, the speed of those shots will make dodges a non-issue to our Markslings, the shot will hit the target short of them shifting down to Octo-form right before the shot gets fired. It's just that quick to move. Granted, this is more when in the short-range, where they shouldn't be, but in strongpoint defense, it is a bit mean to take down those weird weapon carriers. Or the rare Krakenblade user.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2018, 02:16:53 pm »

NoScope Super Catridges (Adding a scope or a stand if there is extra project time) [3] Emral, Birdy51, D7
Sonics Chamber - [1] TricMagic

Avanti!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2018, 02:56:20 pm »

No discussion, just voting, huh D7?

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2018, 03:16:05 pm »

I'm not voting for the 4scope because I think slapping on a "oh we're also going to add a scope", not even in the revision, but in the vote box, is sloppy.

NoScope Super Catridges (Adding a scope or a stand if there is extra project time) [3] Emral, Birdy51, D7
Sonics Chamber - [2] TricMagic, TTE
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2018, 04:01:57 pm »

Please don't add stuff to my revision and then assume I'm for those additions.
YesScope Super Cartridges
The connectors between the ⑨-Scope's eight cartridges and the main pressure chamber is a needlessly complex mess. By instead using a trio of upsized cartridges the same amount of Ink can be pressurized while streamlining the charger's production as well as making reloads a simpler matter. If time permits, a scope is added to the gun to make aiming at long range easier.

While I'm ok with adding on a scope as well, the nature of 'Ling combat means that adding a stand to the charger will be of minimal use.
YesScope Super Catridges - [1] Emral282
NoScope Super Catridges + Stand/Scope - [2] Birdy51, D7

Also, if nothing else I'd like to not do the Sonics Chamber because that feels much more like a design than a revision.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 04:05:06 pm by Emral282 »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2018, 04:52:11 pm »

Ah sorry, won't happen again then.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2018, 05:07:57 pm »

YesScope Super Catridges - [2] Emral282, TricMagic
NoScope Super Catridges + Stand/Scope - [2] Birdy51, D7

Yay ties I guess.

Also, attaching that chamber to anything else would end up being next to impossible. Incorporating it in new stuff is not, but still. Hopefully they have some experience from that buggy mess.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:09:55 pm by TricMagic »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2018, 05:11:47 pm »

YesScope Super Catridges - [3] Emral282, TricMagic, D7
NoScope Super Catridges + Stand/Scope - [1] Birdy51,

No more ties. To explain my votes, I'm of the opinion that that power is more important than accuracy here.

Avanti!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2018, 05:19:38 pm »

And I am of the opinion that more shots fired are better than one shot only. Either would work though. I just want the sonic exp out of the way.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33