Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 59

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR 4: We're Done Here  (Read 92677 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 4: Day 1: Er, What (13/12)
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2018, 06:04:38 am »

Sorry for potentially tying the vote. Oh, wait, I mean sorry that you care. See, I don't CARE if I tie the votes for two reasons. The first is because fuck you I can vote who I want, especially if I believe their scum, and especially if I think his attitude is detrimental to Town.
This attitude is detrimental to Town.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2018, 06:18:27 am »

I find it hilarious that nobody else thinks webadict is doing this on purpose.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2018, 06:20:30 am »

TheBiggerFish

My vote is on you because you're claiming an absurd slate of powers, and being incredibly bombastic about them in a way that feels incredibly bludgeony.

You know he is being sarcastic, right?

Seriously what is with the rolefishing in this game, it's like you and icy are obsessed with knowing people's powers.

It feels like you're trying to make yourself indispensable to town.

Given that scum controls a tie lynch do you think anyone is actually going to let it get to that point? If we have any nolynches in this game then town is irreversibly stupid and we all deserve to lose tbh.

And I don't think a townie, even a confirmed townie, would want to be indispensable...because scum will end them on the first no-lynch.
Tbh I think it's more the contrast that almost no one seems to be making posts bar me, icy and webadict.

IcyTea31

The reason you usually don't reveal your role in Mafia is that it gets you killed. In this setup, with the theme of Pacifism, it doesn't. Were everyone to make their claims early on, the town would be far better informed to focus on the second theme of the game, Money, such as by figuring out which auctions are worth highballing, and which are not. Is this clear-cut enough?

You are way too focused on the money aspect of the game imo. Maybe that it because of your role being focused on it, whatever. Maybe it's because you're scum.

Scum have the obvious disadvantage in numbers of powers since they have less people. You say yourself that auctions are the way that scum can get up to par. They have a mechanic to specifically do this in that they can transfer money between themselves. Although this could make it a possibility that they would lose all their money in one turn (transferring it to one player, one gets lynched) they should still gain enough each day to outbid a normal person. BUT, bidding so much on an item would add the suspicion of being scum to that person as only scum would be able to bid above $50 d1, $70 d2, etc. So I don't think there is ACTUALLY a danger of scum gaining the items over town because they wouldn't want to outbid town because they look like scum in doing so.

This doesn't count day1 obviously because it's before any moneysharing can take place.

Your extra money ability is either a (frankly unnecessary given what I just explained) counter to scum being able to share their money so you can outbid them, or an excuse for why you will be bidding large amounts on items in the future that allows you to avoid looking like your scum members just gave you all their $$ to buy it.

Were everyone to make their claims early on, the town would be far better informed

Yeah this doesn't sound right to me at all. Scum's advantage has always been in information. You also have NO IDEA what powers may be floating around. You already claimed roleblocker. So, roleblockers exist. If everyone claims, scum can block the most powerful town role easily to avoid inspection. You keep saying that scum not having a kill is strictly a town advantage, but it also means that any information we are getting from the night is coming solely from inspects. And you want everyone to reveal their powers so the inspects can be blocked. Wtf.

This doesn't even cover what other possible abilities could be out there - vote silencing, redirect, revive etc.

Maximum Spin

Caz seems like the optimal test right now.

Great, another useless player. Please explain why you think I am an 'optimal test'.

Everyone: What do you think about this? Do you disagree that roleclaiming is idiotic at this time? Why/why not?

Teneb, Persus13: Is it easier to avoid conflict by voting for the friendly assist bot than an actual person? Why do you think that voting for the assist bot is more helpful than scumhunting?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2018, 06:22:31 am »

also yes the delicious waffles <3

Tiruin :( hopefully you get a replace/get auctioned in

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2018, 06:41:46 am »

That question I posed to everyone is supposed to be under and replying to the comments I made to Icytea btw.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2018, 07:00:09 am »

Sorry for potentially tying the vote. Oh, wait, I mean sorry that you care. See, I don't CARE if I tie the votes for two reasons. The first is because fuck you I can vote who I want, especially if I believe their scum, and especially if I think his attitude is detrimental to Town.
You're almost right, which is why I stated in the REST of that post (because it helps justify the context of this post, instead of cherry picking your arguments for your sycophants)

But, the second, and possibly more important, reason
You also realize that there is 4 days until the deadline, right? That's why I'm able to tie the votes right now. Is this not completely obvious to everyone? Are you saying that once a person has been voted, that they can never be outvoted again, for fear of a tie? That's the implied argument you've made, which is incredibly silly. Are you afraid to get lynched? I would be.

I'm honestly baffled that you can possibly think that your argument is okay.

Here's my thought process, though. See, I want you lynched. You're obviously scum. It's not hard to see that. But, I would also rather have you than TheBiggerFish or Maximum Spin. You're dangerous, but a dangerous that is uniquely identifiable and interactive. You are an antique gun on display in a museum. Sure, maybe you're dangerous, but at least you have the flair and integrity to display yourself, set yourself apart from others and make a stand. TheBiggerFish and, to a greater extent, Maximum Spin, are rusted chainsaws. They are completely ineffective, chaotic even. They will never in their lifetimes hope to achieve the grace and wherewithal you display in two posts than they've displayed in hundreds or even thousands, and they will only destroy themselves if they attempted to. Your lies are... I'd say well-crafted, but that implies they're not able to be seen through. Your lies are less dangerous by virtue of the Town having to compete to defeat you. Their lies allow everyone to sit in the darkness. They allow complacency by disregard.

They are disease that infects others. You are a parasite that takes control. I respect that.

So, can we agree that that they are a plague and remove them instead? We can certainly discuss this Tomorrow when I've used all my 50 inspections on everyone.

Anyone that's willing to jump on a bandwagon without providing their own arguments is a leech. It's unlikely they are the cause, but it can certainly be said that they're a symptom.

So, for now, I think you should live. Sorta. If I had two lynches... If I had three lynches, I would say otherwise.

Maximum Spin Maximum Spin

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2018, 07:17:27 am »

Caz seems like the optimal test right now.
Have you finished RVS yet, or will you consider yourself unworthy of joining us at the Big Kid's Table?

And, for the record
I find it hilarious that nobody else thinks webadict is doing this on purpose.
I do everything on purpose. Accidentally or not.

That said, you're an excuse to do nothing. Look at me, not even having to try. It really is infectious, and that's dangerous. I don't want to have to not try to lynch you.

Although, I suppose that I have to try to get everyone else to see you as a malignant cancer, don't I?

Here's the thing: I want you to try. I don't WANT to deal with people that sit back and do nothing. I loathe people that think it's acceptable. Truly and utterly, I do. Because it's like not taking life seriously. It's not trying. It is comparable to a sin. Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not try. Because the only thing you have to set yourself apart from the everyday beast or brute is your willingness to try and fail.

Right now, you can't fail because you haven't tried. That's worse than failure. That's acceptance.

The same could be said of TheBiggerFish, but... well, the thing is, I think he's at least trying, even if I could measure the effort in grains of sand. He's certainly trying a little bit harder. And who knows? Maybe from those few grains of sand, you get some even smaller diamonds.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2018, 07:25:17 am »

You are way too focused on the money aspect of the game imo.
Is it wrong to focus on an aspect of the game relevant to your role, and most likely relevant to ultimately winning as town?

BUT, bidding so much on an item would add the suspicion of being scum to that person as only scum would be able to bid above $50 d1, $70 d2, etc. So I don't think there is ACTUALLY a danger of scum gaining the items over town because they wouldn't want to outbid town because they look like scum in doing so.
Or they look like they have an ability that gains them more money, like I do. Or it's a closed auction and we can't see how much they've bid. Or they secure it by bidding the "maximum" immediately. Sound familiar?

Your extra money ability is either a (frankly unnecessary given what I just explained) counter to scum being able to share their money so you can outbid them, or an excuse for why you will be bidding large amounts on items in the future that allows you to avoid looking like your scum members just gave you all their $$ to buy it.
If you want me to prove I actually have the money, just wait until the next auction comes up. There'll likely be more than one in this day.

You already claimed roleblocker. So, roleblockers exist. If everyone claims, scum can block the most powerful town role easily to avoid inspection.
And then the town knows to set the watcher there. WIFOM, no?

You keep saying that scum not having a kill is strictly a town advantage,
Would you say this, were this a normal game where the doctor simply lucked out and prevented the kill every night? I'd definitely call that a town advantage.

but it also means that any information we are getting from the night is coming solely from inspects.
Plenty of other abilities are informative. And even if any inspectors get blocked, the town still has more actions than scum to gain that advantage.

And you want everyone to reveal their powers so the inspects can be blocked. Wtf.
Perhaps not everyone, but I'd be much more willing to trust someone who did.

You're almost right, which is why I stated in the REST of that post (because it helps justify the context of this post, instead of cherry picking your arguments for your sycophants)
I was referring more to the "fuck you, I don't care" attitude than the rest of the post.

That's the implied argument you've made, which is incredibly silly.

It's not my argument. Grill TBF if you will, but I'm quite aware of how much time there is left.

Are you afraid to get lynched? I would be.
No, actually.

So, can we agree that that they are a plague and remove them instead?
Yours is a policy lynch driven by personal vendetta. A better reasoning would make it more worth my while. Then again, their silence is a bit deafening.

Spin: Got a follow-up to this post?
Anyway, right now I'm weighing the benefits of full disclosure. CONVINCE ME.

TBF: What is your goal for this day?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2018, 07:27:56 am »

@Caz, I don't think that claiming early in this setting is a stupid action, no NK means that things like doctor/bulletproof are meaningless so it would be acceptable to see more anti roleblocking abilities and more investigators probable, making the option of fully blocking investigators less likely.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2018, 07:50:49 am »

I believe that scum benefit more
From any revelations laid at our door
They get info from which they can act
Reveal your role with a bit of tact
At least this early in the game
Later on it won’t be the same
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2018, 08:28:08 am »

Well, am I glad that I probably don't need to do posts in my previous style for a little bit.

Let's actually get cracking since I no longer need to waste space:
How the hell is it? Scum wins if town does nothing. I've won games in the past as scum because town did nothing. Oh, sure, in this game scum picks the kill if there is a tie, but the tie does exert pressure on the town to get off their arses and DO SOMETHING. Notice how you are not actually trying to untie the vote, by the by.

I could also repeat Wubba's or Caz's arguments, but I am glad we moved away from that meta a while ago.

Everyone: What do you think about this? Do you disagree that roleclaiming is idiotic at this time? Why/why not?
It is indeed a Bad Idea, given that this is a BYOR, and a BYOR without kills at that. You have already pretty much stated the ideas. But to restate them: because there is no kill, Fallacy not only has to balance the game around it, but it also is free to make people rather strong and full of crazy abilities.

And as for this...
Teneb, Persus13: Is it easier to avoid conflict by voting for the friendly assist bot than an actual person? Why do you think that voting for the assist bot is more helpful than scumhunting?
I am in a private chat with the bot, and it is a little more active and antagonistic there. Which, ya know, has me worried about mod fuckery.

TBF is fishing like there's no tomorrow; while MS is seemingly throwing votes around randomly, though my read on them from both this game and meta-knowledge from seeing them around the forum is that they just don't give a shit about justifying their choices... which is still either scum behaviour or bad town playing. But I have privileged information on Perses and would like them to post more. A whole lot more.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2018, 08:33:33 am »

You are way too focused on the money aspect of the game imo.
Is it wrong to focus on an aspect of the game relevant to your role, and most likely relevant to ultimately winning as town?
Well, the real ultimate way to win is, you know, lynching scum. Especially since there's no other way to win. Except for my amazing ability, Kamehameha.

BUT, bidding so much on an item would add the suspicion of being scum to that person as only scum would be able to bid above $50 d1, $70 d2, etc. So I don't think there is ACTUALLY a danger of scum gaining the items over town because they wouldn't want to outbid town because they look like scum in doing so.
Or they look like they have an ability that gains them more money, like I do. Or it's a closed auction and we can't see how much they've bid. Or they secure it by bidding the "maximum" immediately. Sound familiar?
That's not an incorrect theory. I'm not against you using your money in such a way. I'm really just saying you could threaten to do more with your money. Ultimately, you're voting Caz because he bought an item with his money, and you're trying to strongarm him into claiming his role because of that.

Also, you gave away valuable information in your spat with him. No matter what, you're wrong, and worst of all, you're looking incredibly bad doing it. Even if you're RIGHT, you wouldn't be right for the right reasons, which is how you've gained so many people against you. It shouldn't take having to have three people vote you to realize you're fundamentally not understanding the basics of scummy behavior.

The essence is: Caz bought an object, and you don't agree with him.

If you want me to prove I actually have the money, just wait until the next auction comes up. There'll likely be more than one in this day.
I actually am in doubt about another auction today. I'm not really feeling up to it.

You keep saying that scum not having a kill is strictly a town advantage,
Would you say this, were this a normal game where the doctor simply lucked out and prevented the kill every night? I'd definitely call that a town advantage.

but it also means that any information we are getting from the night is coming solely from inspects.
Plenty of other abilities are informative. And even if any inspectors get blocked, the town still has more actions than scum to gain that advantage.
The Town also has a much bigger disadvantage: There are significantly more scum. That's much more covering a scum can do.

Your rationality isn't necessarily wrong. But, that really only helps in a game where there aren't infinite roles. Also, I would literally never go along with it, so even if you ultimately convinced everyone else, I would refuse. Mostly because my role functions on Secrecy.

And you want everyone to reveal their powers so the inspects can be blocked. Wtf.
Perhaps not everyone, but I'd be much more willing to trust someone who did.
Don't you worry. I'll be handing out candy like they're inspects. Wait, I got that mixed up. Scum should definitely not block me.

I was referring more to the "fuck you, I don't care" attitude than the rest of the post.
Then vote me. That's one less vote off someone who doesn't deserve to be lynched. If you think my attitude is detrimental, vote me. If you think I'm not an asset to the Town, then VOTE ME. I highly doubt you would, because ultimately, you know I'm the single greatest asset in this game, even if I were scum because, and low and behold as I sneak in the ultimate point, I actually contribute to the game. Sit and breathe the same air as me, peasant, as I bestow upon you the point of everything: Turns out that trying helps.

That's the implied argument you've made, which is incredibly silly.

It's not my argument. Grill TBF if you will, but I'm quite aware of how much time there is left.
Lol. You're sitting idly by while TheBiggerFish makes a faulty argument and doing nothing to counter it? If anything, your doing nothing about it legitimizes it, especially when you're busy pointing my attitude is detrimental to the Town, but his ARGUMENT is completely stupid, which is EVEN MORE DETRIMENTAL TO TOWN. But, hey, I guess stupid arguments aren't your concern, since you're still voting Caz. Oops, there's my post restriction again!

But, if you didn't TRULY believe that, then you've done nothing about it TWICE:
You should count again, I fear...

IcyTea has three while Caz has two,
It's three for three by my count, if you read Max Spin's account. Follow your own advice and you won't be fooled twice.
See how you're going after the people that say the game is tied, but not TheBiggerFish who has a stupid argument about the game being tied? Hector's post wasn't even QUOTING you, so it's a stupid argument to make.

Is this because he was your scumbuddy? Did... did you not want to associate with those two because of how obviously scummy they are? I can get that, but it'd make ultimately more sense if you were scum to just back the fucking bus over them. Of course, then you might be going after the easy targets, so there is that. I guess that's why I have to spend so much time trying to point out all your scummy flaws. It's just ultimately more entertaining.

Are you afraid to get lynched? I would be.
No, actually.
You should be! I am! If I was at that many votes, it would've meant I did something stupid! Then I'd have to sit here and backtrack. And if I were scum, I suppose I'd be forced to go after those two guys that were sitting and doing nothing oh wait

So, can we agree that that they are a plague and remove them instead?
Yours is a policy lynch driven by personal vendetta. A better reasoning would make it more worth my while. Then again, their silence is a bit deafening.

Spin: Got a follow-up to this post?
Anyway, right now I'm weighing the benefits of full disclosure. CONVINCE ME.

TBF: What is your goal for this day?
Now, to be fair, you're going after them isn't why I'm here to get you. In fact, I'm glad you're finally seeing a couple of other trees in the desert. What I am upset at you about is that you're doing it only after being asskicked fifty times. That's why I'm disappointed in your behavior.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2018, 08:45:44 am »

And as for this...
I am in a private chat with the bot, and it is a little more active and antagonistic there. Which, ya know, has me worried about mod fuckery.

TBF is fishing like there's no tomorrow; while MS is seemingly throwing votes around randomly, though my read on them from both this game and meta-knowledge from seeing them around the forum is that they just don't give a shit about justifying their choices... which is still either scum behaviour or bad town playing. But I have privileged information on Perses and would like them to post more. A whole lot more.
I agree that Persus13 needs to post more.

Is your information particularly damning, or is it more speculative?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2018, 09:13:03 am »

Well, the real ultimate way to win is, you know, lynching scum. Especially since there's no other way to win.
And yet, you admonish me for using my vote over wasting my money on "leverage" that wouldn't actually do anything in the case.

Also, you gave away valuable information in your spat with him.
I'd probably have given it even if didn't argue with Caz, even if I was playing a different strategy. Due to my abilities, it's remarkably safe for me to claim.

The essence is: Caz bought an object, and you don't agree with him.
Bought an object in a suspicious manner.

The Town also has a much bigger disadvantage: There are significantly more scum. That's much more covering a scum can do.
Indeed, but I don't see what this has to do with your argument.

Then vote me. That's one less vote off someone who doesn't deserve to be lynched. If you think my attitude is detrimental, vote me. If you think I'm not an asset to the Town, then VOTE ME.
You're town to me. No scum would ever fake so much salt.

You're sitting idly by while TheBiggerFish makes a faulty argument and doing nothing to counter it? If anything, your doing nothing about it legitimizes it
Would there be a reason for me to be have played defensively lately? Dissecting your posts and responding to them is taking a lot of my energy, that I could be using for something more productive.

See how you're going after the people that say the game is tied, but not TheBiggerFish who has a stupid argument about the game being tied? Hector's post wasn't even QUOTING you, so it's a stupid argument to make.
I'll yield that much. I gave that little spike just to relax with a rhyme, not to actually go after Hector or anything.

You should be! I am! If I was at that many votes, it would've meant I did something stupid!
Three votes. Less than a quarter of them all. One is a counter-vote, the second a salty accusation, the third a cheer for the second. Forgive me for keeping my calm under this unyielding onslaught.

What I am upset at you about is that you're doing it only after being asskicked fifty times. That's why I'm disappointed in your behavior.
I don't think we hold the same definition of "asskicked".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2018, 09:44:36 am »

You're sitting idly by while TheBiggerFish makes a faulty argument and doing nothing to counter it? If anything, your doing nothing about it legitimizes it
Would there be a reason for me to be have played defensively lately? Dissecting your posts and responding to them is taking a lot of my energy, that I could be using for something more productive.
Well, if your posts weren't so easy to counter, I wouldn't have to keep doing it.

But, then, besides Caz, who do you find to be scummy and why? Look at that, I'm even giving you some leeway here and not responding to all the silly points you made. Freetime!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 59