Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36

Author Topic: CULT  (Read 75473 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CULT
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2018, 04:26:03 pm »

"I'm with Guile I'm afraid; might as well investigate this now. Feel free to sleep in the back of the jeep, though; there's probably a tarp or blanket in there to curl up under."

Join Guile in the investigating the room, though refrain from destroying anything. And yeah, don't step in the circle.

"Whoa there, we probably shouldn't go around desecrating the place just yet. I don't really fancy drawing the anger of another god, especially since we don't even know what relation this World Eater has with the Scholar."

Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2018, 04:53:11 pm »

"Make sure to check the cabinet, lads. Might be some interesting stuff in there."

Looks like we're not going anywhere yet. Use the flashlight (that I forgot I had) to start reading the journal while the lads investigate the cellar.

Spoiler: Walton J. Murphy (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2018, 10:27:43 am »

I'm going to assume people saying to sleep who are still out and about either take their cars back to the abandoned building OR take the bus for the normal cost. Those of you not sleeping, I suggest you hurry to finish your actions so that we can move on to the next day. People asleep are basically waiting on you from now on.

Alexis peered at the symbol. Based on what she saw in the many-paged doorstopper the group used to pledge themselves to the Scholar In Red in the first place, she deducted that somebody or a group of somebodies pretty much walked down a similar path long ago. Where those people are now is clearly a mystery. Did they disband or are they dead? Alexis really hoped that whatever befell the World Eater's cultists doesn't bring her newfound group down as well. Oh well, one step at a time. Showing the others the rent for the basement in the university should it be true that the Scholar preferred it, Alexis yawned sleepily.

"If anyone wants to discuss this further, perhaps we can discuss this further in the morning. Right now, let's get some shut-eye."

Sleep and possibly have a dream.

Spoiler: Alexis L. Cromwald (click to show/hide)
"...You are free to do so, if you wish. I'm going to sleep."

Sleep.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Go home and sleep.
Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)
Snooooooooooore~ 

Spoiler: Lance Robbins (click to show/hide)
Go to sleep somewhere close to the orb. Try to dream, if I can.

Everyone sleeps in the abandoned building again, curling up in proximity to where the orb is precariously balanced. Sleep comes quickly  as though you are each particularly exhausted. The dream that comes to you is far more lucid and robust than the dreams you're used to having, but still dreamlike in its composition. You walk down a long hall, stutter step, 'fast forwarding'  at irregular intervals, towards the door at the end. Alexis recognizes the door by memory, the rest recognize it only vaguely: The door to the lab rooms under the university. Everyone pushes through that door, each is alone in their dream but they take the same journey. You pass through the door and find not a small laboratory room but some sort of huge surgical theater. Not a modern one either, but a huge wooden room with dozens of rows of amphitheater seats around a deep pit in the center. It all seems exaggerated; the rising rows of seats rise too high, are too tightly packed, and almost seem to loom forward curl in towards the operating table. The men and women who sit in those impossible seats look to come from dozens of eras. You see men and women in what appears to be the attire of Greek aristocrats, egyptian embalmers, arabic doctors, early surgeons, civil war sawbones, even a few modern doctors.

You look towards the operating table. A man stands there. He is tall but not inhumanly so, broad shouldered and strong but not like a professional fighter or weight lifter, and moves with a sense of purposeful grace. His clothing is red, that bright but not too bright red of fresh uncoagulated blood. Red leather long boots, red pants, red long sleeved shirt, red gloves that reach his elbows, red smock the covers the entire front of his body, red surgeon cap, red face mask. No flesh is visible anywhere on his body except in the space between the cap and the mask. And there you see not a human head but the red orb, its engraved eye peering out over the mask.  Assistants, all in darker shades of red, bustle about the table. Upon closer inspection, they each appear to be you, though the masks and caps cover much of their appearance. They are of different ages, different states of being. A few are injured. One is quite old, moving with great difficulty. You look past them at the body on the table. It is unmistakably you. You as you are now. Alive and nude, laying unrestrained and obviously awake. The you on the table turns its eyes to the you watching and smiles.

"Knowledge is its own reward, wouldn't you say?" the you on the table says, eyes sparkling, as the man in red makes the first incisions, cutting a deep "Y" into your chest.  And it is your chest. You aren't looking over the scene anymore. You are laying on the table, looking up at all the yous bustling about in surgical garb. And all the people staring down from the amphitheater seats are you now too, though their clothing is unchanged. The only one who hasn't changed is the man in red.  He reaches into your chest and pulls your heart free, the great veins and arteries still attached to the throbbing mass of muscle. There's no pain to it and you suddenly realize he is showing it to you for you to see. In silence his gloved hands carefully trace the path of the coronary arteries, showing you their beginning and ends, their branches, which muscles they feed. You understand him, you understand exactly what he says and does, understand the anatomy even if you don't know the words and names that connect to each part. You realize that names and words are simple artifice; the flesh IS. When he is done, your heart shredded into pieces to expose its deepest anatomy, he moves on to your lungs.

This continues for what seems like days or months, but you will awake the following morning just as always, though your head will sing with new information, new knowledge. And a sense of purpose.

Eat dinner, cutting the bird up in the presence of the orb, and then set out rat traps baited with peanut butter.  Describe to the orb how we discovered that the church location was actually a cult of the World Eater, and ask it for a description of the relationship between the two deities.  Should we be hostile to the other cultists?

With that, Sleep.  Tomorrow I think we'll set up the orb in the area at the University.

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)
You set traps.

When you cut the bird up you get the barest hint of feeling. This is something like what the Scholar wants but...its a pale imitation.

You describe the church and the information that (Apparently) you got from Alexis about the secret room below it. You ask for descriptions and it tells you nothing but when you wonder about hostilities between cultists, particularly focusing on those that serve the World Eater, you get a distinct feeling of unease. Not fear, not rage, just discomfort.

You sleep and dream as the rest do.

Help Dev make dinner
You help cut up the bird and gather a few choice bits for yourself. A single chicken isn't much but you make due.

Try to get to my office
(remember to bold actions so I can tell them from RP stuff)

You get to your office just fine, taking the bus down to the campus [-$3] and then walking into the little cluster of offices off the liberal arts building. Your office is just a single room, maybe a 6x8 with a corner desk, a book shelf, and a chair against one wall for any student that might want to come in and talk. None had.

Helen gives those in the room the sternest, most intimidating look she can. She raises her camera and points at it. She then uses her breath to fog the window and then uses her finger to write "I KNOW" in the moisture, writing right to left and flipping the letters so that they appear the right way to those inside the room.

Try to bullshit my way into the room. If successful, try to become friends with the people in the room and/or try to determine what they're doing.

After I get in the room I don't care if they realize I lied to get in.
If questioned about why I'm bothering them when I get in, say I was looking for someone interesting and they looked interesting.
If asked who I am when I get in, tell them I'll be renting one of the labs for a business I represent and wanted to see who my most fun neighbors were.

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)
[8]
You give those in the room an extremely stern look. A look that might easily be called murderous or psychotic to those without knowledge of your particular brand of emotional intensity.  You hold up your enormous Panasonic OmniMovie VHS camcorder and then use your breath to write "I KNOW" on the window.

The effect this has on the people inside is for them to back the hell away from the door and slowly move out of your line of sight. You hear someone talking inside the room a minute or so later and the way they talk- short phrases followed by silence -makes you think they're talking on the phone. Probably to campus security or the cops.

Woops.

"Make sure to check the cabinet, lads. Might be some interesting stuff in there."

Looks like we're not going anywhere yet. Use the flashlight (that I forgot I had) to start reading the journal while the lads investigate the cellar.

Again, its gonna take a long while of reading to get far into this. So basically you only read the first couple pages, which talk mostly about the man being assigned to this church and his first few days here. They're banal, except for one possible reference to an odd number of dogs hanging around the property. The priest says that someone must be feeding them for them to hang around in these numbers and says he'll look into it.

"I'm with Guile I'm afraid; might as well investigate this now. Feel free to sleep in the back of the jeep, though; there's probably a tarp or blanket in there to curl up under."

Join Guile in the investigating the room, though refrain from destroying anything. And yeah, don't step in the circle.

"Whoa there, we probably shouldn't go around desecrating the place just yet. I don't really fancy drawing the anger of another god, especially since we don't even know what relation this World Eater has with the Scholar."

"Alexis, I think this calls for a bit of overtime.  You don't see the World Eater's sigil every day, or 'least I hope you don't. WALTON!  We found a shrine to the World Eater!  I'm gonna dismantle it, can't know if it has any power remaining."

Make sure NEVER to step inside that circle.  Then, first thing, ransack the cabinet, being very careful while opening it; once it's empty, pull it over and check behind it.  Then take down the tapestry, tear it in quarters.  Throw the altar to the ground, too.  Finally, poke the ring with a stick, throw some junk into it, and if nothing at all happens, try and break the ring, or at least push it around until it's deformed into an 8 shape or something.  If Alex comes down, ask him to shoot the edge, that way nobody has to touch it with their fingers.

Alex joins Guile in the subterranean chamber. Alex intercedes when Guile moves to destroy anything, reasoning with him that they should consider their actions and know what they're doing before potentially pissing off a god or angering an Ally of the Scholar and drawing his ire.

Guile subsides on his destructive rage...for the moment...and instead checks the cabinet, opening its double doors carefully. Inside are several things; The most striking are the corpses of a dozen or more small animals. Rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, birds, rats and the like, all clearly killed with a small caliber varmint rifle judging from the neat holes in their flanks or chests. The bodies are ancient, completely desiccated and mummified, nothing left of them but dried flesh, fur and bone. The inside of the cabinet doesn't reek with rot, it just smells slightly dusty. Aside from the corpses there are a few other objects: what look like the leg and rib bones of cattle, tins of beans, slabs of salted meat that has also dried out to an almost wooden appearance, a few frayed lengths of rope, and what looks like the skull of a wolf or some sort of very large canine.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2018, 03:30:35 am »

Wake up, and see if the traps have caught any rats.  If so, see if the orb would like to have one dissected while alive in front of it.  Take pictures, too, this should be documented.  After that, well, it's time to clean up and get the orb ready for movement to the University.  Is there money owed for it, or anything else that needs to be done before we can go in?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:08:34 am by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2018, 04:11:43 am »

"...Fine, you've got a point.  A lot of dead things in here, but at least no people parts.  They're probably not a threat to us, not yet, though I don't feel at all comfortable leaving this little shrine intact.  At the very least I'm going to sabotage that circle, though."

Fine then.  Shut the cabinet, try and make sure it's as we found it.  The only thing I insist upon is moving the barbed-wire circle.  Go back to the surface, grab a stick, then push one edge of the circle over the far edge, so it's an elongated ooo -like shape.  If the circle is magically resistant to being moved, just leave it.

Then leave and return to wherever with the others, I guess.  Ask to be dropped off at the abandoned building for the night, unless [whoever] is comfortable with Guile crashing on their couch.  Then sleep.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2018, 06:57:29 am »

Wait until the other have finished with the traphole room, then join them in returning either home or the abandoned building. Sleep, then continue reading the journal in the morning.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2018, 08:19:23 am »

Expeditious retreat! Back to my home! But before I go, stake out the entrance to make sure it's actually the cops coming and not some shady character.

If we're doing tomorrow actions, then ask my contacts for work, preferably something suited to my skills. I'm going to need some money to pay for the University, so better start gathering. Maybe someone needs a wedding filmed, maybe someone needs a spouse tailed, maybe someone needs a delivery girl or someone to watch the camera monitors. I don't mind. I'm discreet, non-judgmental, with few ethical restrictions and looking for loads of money.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2018, 09:21:48 pm »

Lance has been staring wide-eyed at the ceiling ever since he had woken up. Still staring up, Lances speaks up, asking no one in particular.

"So. Did um... Did anyone else watch themselves get chopped up like cattle last night?

Spoiler: Lance Robbins (click to show/hide)
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2018, 04:22:59 pm »

Awakened with a start, Alexis absentminded traced patterns in the air, muttering to herself.

"The blood enters the heart through the veins where it flows into the right atrium before being squeezed into the right ventricle through the tricuspid valve. The blood is then squeezed into the pulmonary artery and into the lungs where it is then oxygenated before being pulled into the left atrium. The blood is then squeezed into the left ventricle through the mitral valve and is then pushed back into the body via the aortic artery. Four to five liters of blood pass through this mechanism within a minute, all aided by just two pairs of synchronized myocardial contractions per second, set into motion by the sinoatrial node! Before man built machines, one was keeping us alive for thousands of years!"

Blinking in confusion, Alexis shook herself out of her stupor and blushed heavily at embarrassing herself. To take her mind off her jabbering, Alexis listened to Lance.

"Yes, it was surreal," she said, thinking about the weird dream. "Of course, I would never go as far as to say 'butchered' as we were 'vivisected'. However, there was a good amount of skill and precision to it. Now I see why the Scholar In Red is named thus. He or she or it is as much of a teacher as they are a professional."

Turning toward Sean as he spoke with the orb, Alexis said absentmindedly to him, "Make sure to pour ice on the heart to slow down its metabolism and preserve the myocardium if you plan on stitching the rat back together and resuscitating it-"

Pausing, Alexis frowned at what she'd just said.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2018, 04:55:19 pm »

"Yeah, fair enough. Be careful, though."
Drop everyone off wherever they want and then return home to sleep.
[/quote]
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2018, 10:36:51 am »

Because people are sleeping/returning home to sleep I'll give these out now

Wake up, and see if the traps have caught any rats.  If so, see if the orb would like to have one dissected while alive in front of it.  Take pictures, too, this should be documented.  After that, well, it's time to clean up and get the orb ready for movement to the University.  Is there money owed for it, or anything else that needs to be done before we can go in?

No rats, though one of the traps has been triggered by something, but didn't manage to catch it.

You make ready and get the orb. And yes, paying for the room would be important. Probably should do that.

"...Fine, you've got a point.  A lot of dead things in here, but at least no people parts.  They're probably not a threat to us, not yet, though I don't feel at all comfortable leaving this little shrine intact.  At the very least I'm going to sabotage that circle, though."

Fine then.  Shut the cabinet, try and make sure it's as we found it.  The only thing I insist upon is moving the barbed-wire circle.  Go back to the surface, grab a stick, then push one edge of the circle over the far edge, so it's an elongated ooo -like shape.  If the circle is magically resistant to being moved, just leave it.

Then leave and return to wherever with the others, I guess.  Ask to be dropped off at the abandoned building for the night, unless [whoever] is comfortable with Guile crashing on their couch.  Then sleep.

You close the cabinet and climb back up the ladder. You grab one of the sticks used to hold the thorn bush back and carry it back down stairs. You use it to distort the circle, prying it out of the ground and twisting it up a bit.

You return to the abandoned building.

Wait until the other have finished with the traphole room, then join them in returning either home or the abandoned building. Sleep, then continue reading the journal in the morning.

You read another 10 or 20 pages.  More mundane stuff but he's also notcing odd patterns in how the dogs behave. They show up on certain days and stare at him with "Intelligence not fit for a beast." He hears noises at night and has lost time.

Expeditious retreat! Back to my home! But before I go, stake out the entrance to make sure it's actually the cops coming and not some shady character.

If we're doing tomorrow actions, then ask my contacts for work, preferably something suited to my skills. I'm going to need some money to pay for the University, so better start gathering. Maybe someone needs a wedding filmed, maybe someone needs a spouse tailed, maybe someone needs a delivery girl or someone to watch the camera monitors. I don't mind. I'm discreet, non-judgmental, with few ethical restrictions and looking for loads of money.

[2] [Standing down one level]
You walk out front of the building to watch the approach of the police. Turns out to be campus security rather than the police and it also turns out they have your description. Turns out a woman walking around with a camcorder isn't a common thing. They gather you up and after questioning you for a few minutes drive you off campus. They make it clear they don't want to see you back on campus tonight...or maybe ever.

[-$3] you return to the abandoned building.

The next day you start looking for work. [7] You call a PI you know from previous work and he tells you that he needs video of a man entering a particular establishment.  He gives you the details of the establishment and the man.

"Yeah, fair enough. Be careful, though."
Drop everyone off wherever they want and then return home to sleep.
[/quote]
You do so, and then return home and get a good night sleep.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2018, 05:19:16 am »

Guile wakes up early, and loudly stomps into the abandoned building, making no effort to be quiet.  Once he's in the room with the orb, he looks around at the people still asleep, and claps his hands once before loudly announcing

"So!  What're we doing today, fellow cultists?"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2018, 05:52:11 am »

($2250/year is staggaringly low, but go for it.)

"We're pooling the money together for the university area.  How much was it again?"

(2250 a year)

Reset the traps, and, if the banks have opened yet, withdraw money up to that amount.  If I manage that much, go to the university and put down the deposit.  Don't take the orb with me until the place has been paid for.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:27:19 am by Devastator »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2018, 07:59:23 am »

Stake out time! First we need to check out the location. Could I reasonably park there and keep watch? When is the Target most likely to be there? Second we need to check the Target. Do i know where he lives? Does he go to the Target location on foot? Generally need to find out the best way to catch the perp in the act!
SO EXCITING!
I'm thinking I either rent a car and wait for him at the Target location or watch his home and follow him when he leaves.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:12:06 am by Parisbre56 »

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2018, 08:26:18 am »

Clearing her throat, Alexis raised a hand, glaring at Guile's antics. "I can use my connections to negotiate for a lower annual rent. We can go to the university so that I can do so."

Use connections (and a little guile) to negotiate for a lower rent.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36