Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36

Author Topic: CULT  (Read 72939 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: CULT
« Reply #330 on: December 02, 2018, 03:52:07 pm »

Buy the head for 200. Ask Bobby if he doesn't have anything to transport it in so it doesn't stand out so much.
If he gives me a bag or something to put to head in, take it to our Scholar Orb and show it to it, hopefully gleaning what the Scholar would like me to do with it.

Spoiler: Walton J. Murphy (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 02, 2018, 04:03:12 pm »

So does this mean that any other cultists can find our temple the same way?  Uh oh.

See if I can find another cultist to join up with before exploring that park.  (If nobody's available, just go anyway.)  It's too late in the day for a good exploration, but just get the general feel for it.  I might want to explore here with the orb while we've got workmen coming in, in any case.

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 02, 2018, 05:18:12 pm »

Park seems interesting. I'll go there with Sean.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2018, 10:45:19 am »

Meet up with Helen and the others in the park to determine what the group should do next.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #334 on: December 04, 2018, 08:16:48 pm »

((I have a car?))

Invite him to stay the night in exchange for doing some chores, also make some vague promises of giving him more work if he does a good job. Then head back to the university basement and have my new unexpected guest clean it up, make sure that the orb is well hidden from him, and procure sedatives from one of my contacts.
Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)
[9]
You get the hobo to hang around and do some cleaning in the university basement, somehow without anyone stepping in and questioning why he's there when you lead him in. You then go get some sedatives from a nurse who owes you a favor.

Read it. What information and knowledge can I get from the now translated book? Were my efforts worth the time lost?

Effectively, what the text says is this.

The Scholar is one of many beings that are called "Ideals" by the author. He connects them to the Metaphor of the Cave. In short, the metaphor of the cave sets up a story about prisoners. These prisoners have been chained facing the wall of a cave. On this wall are shadows of people and things. To the prisoners, this is their world. However, one of them gets free and sees that the shadows are actually being cast  by puppets, and that only beyond these things and outside the cave is the real world. The author states that what we call the Scholar and his kind are nothing but the shadows cast onto their world by beings from a higher plane. These beings are the ideal form of things that exist within our world. Again referring to Plato, he mentions how plato envisioned "Forms" which were the perfect representation of an idea. When humans imagined something like a sphere, they imagined towards that perfect form. When then imagined friendship, they imagined towards that form. That Form is perfect in all ways in terms of its representation of the idea, and any who saw it would know and be unable to find any flaw.

Canis is the ideal of Canine, and would we see it, we would be unable to say otherwise. But what we see in our world is merely the shadow it casts down from that loftly platonic realm of perfect ideals to this world. Whether or not humans create that realm via combined thought or if it exists outside of us and shapes the world, the author is unable to say. According to him, he believes the Scholar might be the ideal of Scholar, or Teacher, or perhaps Curiosity. Perhaps it might even be the ideal of something similar to those things but larger; a concept that has no word.

Information he has found shows that the Scholar prefers to know things that are generally forbidden or secret, the more so the better. Most cults associated with it inevitably began dissecting humans and performing other kinds of experimentation, though he theorizes that while this might be an easy method of gaining favor, there might be equally good ways that are not so inhumane.

"There's only one word to describe this sort of success: Bulk ace! ... Wait, maybe those are two words."
Helen waved her hand dismissively.
"Anyway, I'd call this mission beyond successful! I've got footage I can sell to the detective that hired me, I got footage I can sell to the news stations, I've got footage that could be useful to the cult, I saved another life and I thwarted an Evil plan... With the help of the brave men and women of our police force, of course. So! I'm gonna go pay up and then tail the ambulance to see what I can learn from that guy, see if there's anything I can do to help. Us cultists got to stick together, am I right? Wanna come with? They said she knows about Flux and the wave that hit last night. Or are you going to tail those guys to the police station? I mean, if you find out where they take them, maybe we could go there tomorrow and... I dunno, like, pretend we're their lawyers or something? Or maybe you could take the tape from this camera and make a few copies for me? Take one of them to the temple to show the rest?"

Pay the hotel and thank them for their wonderful accommodations. Then tail the ambulance to find out where they take the hostage. He probably won't be allowed any visitors for the time being but I could follow him in and then stick close to the officer accompanying him to learn the hostage's name. Then I could use that to pretend I'm a worried acquaintance and learn more about his health and when I could visit him.

((Let's see if my luck continues!
Might edit action based on Sir Elventide.))

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)
Meet up with Helen and the others in the park to determine what the group should do next.

You pay for the hotel room and then follow the ambulance. They take the guy up into the forested hills to the Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, better known as CHOMP. You try to follow him in but can't. You do however overhear them say his name.  M. Santana.

Buy the head for 200. Ask Bobby if he doesn't have anything to transport it in so it doesn't stand out so much.
If he gives me a bag or something to put to head in, take it to our Scholar Orb and show it to it, hopefully gleaning what the Scholar would like me to do with it.

Spoiler: Walton J. Murphy (click to show/hide)
You buy the head and get a cardboard box to put it in. You take it back to the lab but find a strange homeless man there mopping the floor and decide that...maybe whipping out the severed head and talking to the eyeball marble might be a bad idea in mixed company.

So does this mean that any other cultists can find our temple the same way?  Uh oh.

See if I can find another cultist to join up with before exploring that park.  (If nobody's available, just go anyway.)  It's too late in the day for a good exploration, but just get the general feel for it.  I might want to explore here with the orb while we've got workmen coming in, in any case.

Park seems interesting. I'll go there with Sean.

You hop in your car and drive down towards Big Sur.  The area is actually a state park and a section of coast so exploring it fully would be impossible. However, as you drive along route 1, you get a tingle as you pass a service road that heads off into the mountains and the woods.

If memory serves, isn't a book shop lady coming to see you this evening?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2018, 09:21:57 am »

Great! Make a mental note to come visit the man. Check the visiting hours.

Well, I guess it's time to go make 3 copies of that tape. Drop one of them off to the detective to get paid. Be somewhat curious about the people on the video, try to get him to give me some more information about them.

Also, how much money should I reduce for the hotel? Or should I just look it up?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 08, 2018, 01:44:11 pm »

Return to the cult base. Try to get in contact with the rest of the cult and inform them about what I just discovered, about the Scholar liking anything that is forbidden and not just dissection of living people.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Hotfire90

« Reply #337 on: December 08, 2018, 04:11:48 pm »

Send the Hobo to buy groceries and to do some errands to keep him occupied until we're done holding the meeting with the bookshop lady.

Prepare for said meeting by thinking about how to best convince her to join the cult.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 08, 2018, 04:38:16 pm »

Head down that service road.  Be careful, though, they're often disabled without warning, or washed out by rain.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 08, 2018, 05:07:26 pm »

Interesting. Return to the University and meet with the bookshop lady; try to give a good impression of myself and the group. Leave recruitment attempts and the like to someone more qualified, though.
Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2018, 12:02:10 pm »

"CHOMP eh?" Alexis said as she rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "What a strange acronym. Perhaps I should find whatever information I can about it in addition to Mr Santana."

Go to the library to look up the past history of CHOMP. Also, look up information about M. Santana, including news clippings.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2018, 12:42:52 pm »

"CHOMP eh?" Alexis said as she rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "What a strange acronym. Perhaps I should find whatever information I can about it in addition to Mr Santana."

Go to the library to look up the past history of CHOMP. Also, look up information about M. Santana, including news clippings.

((CHOMP is a real place by the way; and it goes by that acronym in real life. ))
According to what you can find, CHOMP was founded in 1934 by one of the heirs of the John Deere Tractor fortune. Its been slowly growing ever since but in the last few years it has seen many large scale expansions including a new glass dome over an indoor water feature.

As per this M.Santana there is apparently someone with that name connected to the board of directors for the hospital, but thats all you can find.

Great! Make a mental note to come visit the man. Check the visiting hours.

Well, I guess it's time to go make 3 copies of that tape. Drop one of them off to the detective to get paid. Be somewhat curious about the people on the video, try to get him to give me some more information about them.

Also, how much money should I reduce for the hotel? Or should I just look it up?

According to a sign in the lobby
Code: [Select]
Visiting is permitted throughout the day in most areas.

The exceptions are:

Garden Pavilion (Behavioral Health Services). Visitors to Garden Pavilion must call extension 4775 to obtain permission in advance. Unless other arrangements have been made, visitors are only allowed during the following times:

Monday-Friday: Noon-1 p.m. and 5:30-7 p.m.
    Saturday, Sunday, and holidays: Noon-1 p.m. and 3-7 p.m.

Outpatient Surgery Center. Visitation is limited. Please speak with the charge nurse.

Short Stay Unit. 5:30 a.m.-11 p.m.

You make copies of the tape and give one to the detective you got hired by. He gives you 100 bucks in return but refuses to tell you any more about the case. Apparently he has some sort of thing about ethics. Weirdo.

15 bucks.

Return to the cult base. Try to get in contact with the rest of the cult and inform them about what I just discovered, about the Scholar liking anything that is forbidden and not just dissection of living people.

You drive back and tell the people currently at the base about what you found out. You assume they'll pass it on to the others whenever they see them. You carefully do not tell the hobo.

Send the Hobo to buy groceries and to do some errands to keep him occupied until we're done holding the meeting with the bookshop lady.

Prepare for said meeting by thinking about how to best convince her to join the cult.

You give the hobo 50 bucks and send him out to get some groceries. You realize after he leaves that...well...you think they're about 50/50 odds he'll just skip out with the money and not come back. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

You consider the best way to convince her and judge that she's probably one of those hippy dippy follow the leader if it has the right world peace buzzwords in it types. You need to give her the right pitch and hide the more shady aspects of whats going on. Maybe see if the Scholar can give her a taste of favor and get her to find rare books or something.

Interesting. Return to the University and meet with the bookshop lady; try to give a good impression of myself and the group. Leave recruitment attempts and the like to someone more qualified, though.
Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
You return to the basement lab and await the new recruit.

Head down that service road.  Be careful, though, they're often disabled without warning, or washed out by rain.

The service road is paved for maybe 300 feet past the main road and then becomes dirt. Clearly four wheel drive and a higher profile vehicle would be better than your Datsun but you keep going as best you can. The road winds around, following the contours of the land until it reaches a fork. You look around and notice a small Cairn on the right side of the fork.

It is now Evening.

From down the hall, everyone in the lab hears someone rather timidly ask "Is this the scholar group?"

Hotfire90

« Reply #342 on: December 11, 2018, 01:39:20 pm »

"Indeed it is, please come in."

Tell the bookshopy lady about the origins of the Scholar, starting with that worship of the Scholar goes back to ancient times and that he was worshipped by ancient healers, supposed necromancers, his connection to Thoth and that the goal of the Scholar is to obtain knowledge.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 11, 2018, 04:04:58 pm »

Stop and examine that cairn.  Is it a thing in itself, or does it just mark a location, like a starting point?

"I don't know if we should fumble around at night.  We might get lost.  Although one of us could wish for something to help out with that, if we want to get it done now."

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:15:40 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 11, 2018, 05:48:24 pm »

"Wishing for a little light seems like a waste of this amazing connection we have, don't you think? We can just come back tomorrow, with flashlights."

Look at both forks of the road. Which one feels more "tingly"? Feel it out.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36