Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36

Author Topic: CULT  (Read 73086 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CULT
« Reply #300 on: November 12, 2018, 03:55:25 pm »

"Sure, sounds good.  Let me just clean up and check the mail first."

Clean up.  Check the mail here.  Drive Alin to the bank so she can retrieve some of her money.

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:24:45 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 12, 2018, 04:10:48 pm »

Buy some bait and a fishing rod. A nice, sturdy one. Price is irrelevant, I just want something that will last.

Then go to the bank to withdraw money for the darkroom.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 12, 2018, 07:16:53 pm »

Start the translation of the old german, and copy the translated version on the other side of my notebook.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 12, 2018, 07:30:51 pm »

"Dang it Bobby, how'd you manage to sneak these back home? Don't get me wrong though, I approve of all kinds of trophies. D'you remember who these belonged to? Was there anything particular about them that you snuck them back home, or did you just choose them on a whim?"

Converse with Bobby. Take a closer look at each head, do I see anything particularely interesting or odd about one or more of them? Do any give me a feeling or hunch that the Scholar might be interesting in them?

Spoiler: Walton J. Murphy (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #304 on: November 12, 2018, 07:36:44 pm »

Just because someone dressed like a PI comes to your hotel tailing a suspicious guy doesn't mean they're a PI!
Okay, maybe it does. But they doesn't mean he has to go ahead and think like that!

Anyway, looks like there's something interesting going on there. I wonder what it is. I'm sure just a peek won't hurt.

Should I reduce my money or am I expected to pay when I leave?

Is there any way I could eavesdrop better? Maybe a shared vent I could reach with a chair? Or some glass I could use on the wall?

Or some way I could peek into their room? Maybe climb from my balcony/window to theirs?

If neither of those are available, maybe get the sheets and towels from my room and use them to pretend I'm the stereotypical stubborn foreign cleaning lady that doesn't understand English to get them to open the door?

Or maybe pretend I'm an annoying desperate prostitute if there's a lack of clean sheets in my room?

I dunno, use whatever means available to gain more information about what's going on in there.

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)

Hotfire90

« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2018, 11:45:46 am »

See if I can find more promising artists who'd be willing to pay me for referring them, actually refer them and the ones before, I wouldn't want to lose an easy source of revenue due to needlessly scamming them.
Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 14, 2018, 12:00:51 pm »

"What rotten luck," Alexis muttered bitterly. "Anyway, let's try again."

Buy two more toads and vivisect them as planned.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 15, 2018, 07:22:47 am »

So it probably came from the ocean, whatever 'it' happens to be.
Follow it back to find the other end of the chain of destruction. Observe the response efforts on my way. Anything particularly out of the ordinary there?

Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #308 on: November 15, 2018, 08:29:48 pm »

"Sure, sounds good.  Let me just clean up and check the mail first."

Clean up.  Check the mail here.  Drive Alin to the bank so she can retrieve some of her money.

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)
You wash up and check the mail. Nothing in particular, beyond an ad for a pizza place and some flyers for school events that were probably mass posted to every box on campus. You wait till Alin is ready and then take her to the nearest bank.

Buy some bait and a fishing rod. A nice, sturdy one. Price is irrelevant, I just want something that will last.

Then go to the bank to withdraw money for the darkroom.

[11]
You spend 80 bucks for a good amount of bait and a sturdy, middle range fishing pole. That done you head to the bank with Sean and withdraw 1100 dollars in nonconsecutive 20's, 10's and 5's.

Start the translation of the old german, and copy the translated version on the other side of my notebook.

[11]
This translation will take until sunset, but it will be complete and accurate for the text you copied. It will take a few turns but when Sunset hits, you can act again.

However, I can say that as you translate you learn a few things.
1. The scholar is one of a set of what the author calls "Perfect" beings, though the translation isn't perfect. Rather than perfect as in flawless, the connotation is more of the best version or the imagined version of something.

2. These beings apparently reside in the same place, a place that uses that same untranslatable "Perfect" word to describe it. They interact with our world for various reasons, all of them personal to those beings and none of them shared among the others. Some are at odds, others are neutral, and two in particular seem to have some sort of pushing-pulling opposites attract kind of relationship. He doesn't use names you're familiar with but he connects them to the sun.

3. Cults for these beings have sprung up all across history seemingly in waves when these beings, for one reason or another, begin to interact more with the world.

4. He states that our world is not as we assume; that the truth is hidden from us not by governments or individuals or even other beings but due to our own incapacity to grasp it. He eludes specifically to "Imagined Curvatures" and "assumptions based on the idea that laws of reality exist in a universally homogeneous state"

5. He gives a warning regarding the servants of "The Silent One", who apparently seek to harass, assault, kill or otherwise inconvenience those who worship the other beings.

"Dang it Bobby, how'd you manage to sneak these back home? Don't get me wrong though, I approve of all kinds of trophies. D'you remember who these belonged to? Was there anything particular about them that you snuck them back home, or did you just choose them on a whim?"

Converse with Bobby. Take a closer look at each head, do I see anything particularely interesting or odd about one or more of them? Do any give me a feeling or hunch that the Scholar might be interesting in them?

He tells you that they were the heads of some kind of "Buncha dog fuckers" from Vietnam. Said that near the end of the war it got easy to sneak just about anything out. He says he still has grenades and all manner of munitions.  You kneel next to the low shelf they're on and look at them. You get the feeling the Scholar might like them, for one reason or another. As you look them over you notice that one of them has a tattoo on his neck, right near where he was decapitated. It looks like this.

Just because someone dressed like a PI comes to your hotel tailing a suspicious guy doesn't mean they're a PI!
Okay, maybe it does. But they doesn't mean he has to go ahead and think like that!

Anyway, looks like there's something interesting going on there. I wonder what it is. I'm sure just a peek won't hurt.

Should I reduce my money or am I expected to pay when I leave?

Is there any way I could eavesdrop better? Maybe a shared vent I could reach with a chair? Or some glass I could use on the wall?

Or some way I could peek into their room? Maybe climb from my balcony/window to theirs?

If neither of those are available, maybe get the sheets and towels from my room and use them to pretend I'm the stereotypical stubborn foreign cleaning lady that doesn't understand English to get them to open the door?

Or maybe pretend I'm an annoying desperate prostitute if there's a lack of clean sheets in my room?

I dunno, use whatever means available to gain more information about what's going on in there.

Its pay by the hour so, pay when you leave. Alternatively, stiff the guy but he does have your driver's license.

You quietly dig around and find a glass in the bathroom, next to the sink. You put it up against the wall and it does let you hear better.

There's no balcony here. Pay by the hour man, what you expect? You should be glad you don't have a blacklight or haven't looked under the bed. Unless you have a pin vise to drill a hole with or something, getting a visual without being seen is gonna be hard.

You settle for the glass and listen in. There are several voices there: you can make out 4 male and 1 female distinctly and the semi-audible noises of a 6th that seems very out of it. They're talking about the events of last night; the wave and a being called "Flux". They say its Flux's fault for the wave and the chaos, alluding to some kind of "Avatar" that was seen. They identify the 6th member as a cultist worshiping Flux, who they caught on the beach that night before the wave hit. The are apparently going to interrogate her and judging by the calls for rope and a chair, it won't be a friendly talk.

See if I can find more promising artists who'd be willing to pay me for referring them, actually refer them and the ones before, I wouldn't want to lose an easy source of revenue due to needlessly scamming them.
The area is tapped out for now, but you refer them as you promised. Maybe if anything comes of it for them, it will grow your rep and get you more "Business"

"What rotten luck," Alexis muttered bitterly. "Anyway, let's try again."

Buy two more toads and vivisect them as planned.

[2,1]
The first one gets away from you on the way back to the lab. The second one makes an ungodly screech as you tie it down and it so startles you that you jab yourself right in the palm with the scalpel.

So it probably came from the ocean, whatever 'it' happens to be.
Follow it back to find the other end of the chain of destruction. Observe the response efforts on my way. Anything particularly out of the ordinary there?

Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
As you walk back, the water cuts off. Apparently someone at the water company finally decided to just cut the connection to the whole block. Took them long enough. You follow the line of torn up hydrants for a while and finally find the last one. It looks like someone tried to tear it out, but failed, its all warped and partially sticking free from the concrete. Its also the one furthest from the ocean.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 15, 2018, 10:53:31 pm »

"Ah, money. It always seemed so pointless before. People would work for this, and spend it to stay alive. What for? You gain nothing of true value from this cycle. And yet now, I have found purpose, and the green paper takes on a new hue. Useful."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2018, 12:47:56 am »

Call the cult's University Lab while they are preparing to interrogate him. If someone picks up:
: I've got a captured cultist of Flux being interrogated by an unknown group at <location>. I'm gonna call the police on them. If you have objections or suggestions, spit 'em out quick-like. :

Then shoot a quick prayer to the Scholar and call 911, give them my name and tell them I saw a crazy man holding a gun and using it to threaten people and that I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself or someone else. Tell them he went into the room next to mine. Or whatever it takes to get them to come.

Then back to eavesdropping and taking notes. If it sounds like they're going to badly hurt the captured person, run and knock on their door. Try to stall them until the police arrives.

((Going to edit this action if anybody answers and has a better suggestion.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 16, 2018, 04:02:14 pm »

Try to find synonyms and other possible interpretations for the part about "Perfect" beings. Continue with the translation.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Hotfire90

« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2018, 07:54:19 pm »

Travel to a nearby restaurant and eat there. While I'm travelling to the restaurant, keep an eye out for any homeless people, especially for troublemakers who wouldn't be missed.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 18, 2018, 02:47:04 pm »

"Hah, doesn't surprise me Charlie would be diddling dogs. Say, Bobby, would ya mind giving me a few of these? Or selling, if that's more agreeable."

Ask Bobby if he'd gift me the head with the tattoo and however many other heads he's willing to lose. Alternatively, how much money he wants for them.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 19, 2018, 02:17:31 pm »

Crying out in pain, Alexis quickly fetched a first aid kit and dressed her wound. Cursing under her breath, she glared at the toad still bound to the dissection table. The nerve of the cretin! Don't it know that it get to be a part of a wonderful procedure rather than being strangled or envenomed by a snake? The ungrateful amphibian has really done it now!

Before attempting to vivisect the toad again, conduct a side study on its response to pain at getting its limbs sliced off. Surely it's only a scientific study and definitely not an act of vengeance. If all else fails, give up for now and go see what the others are up to. Visiting Helen would be a good start.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36