Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36

Author Topic: CULT  (Read 73201 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CULT
« Reply #285 on: October 27, 2018, 11:48:11 pm »

Take a picture of this moth, and mount it with a pin and some paper, like it's a specimen.  I'll investigate that later.  After that, head in to the lab area.  On the way, bring a garbage bag and check my rat traps, putting any rats I find in the garbage bag for dissection purposes.

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2018, 11:45:50 am »

OK, I'm in no position to try anything stupid, so I probably shouldn't. I'm just going to wait and watch the house. Can I tell what his familial status is? Married? Kids? Rich? Poor? Political?

Just got to keep myself awake until he leaves. Pinch myself, slap myself, whatever it takes.

After that, I can just follow him to work and maybe find a place to take a small nap there. I should have some time. I mean, who goes to work just to leave the next minute?

Still, doesn't hurt to phone the other cultists (when I'm able) to see if anyone is interested in taking a shift while I sleep.

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 31, 2018, 01:28:20 pm »

"Freak wave, eh?" Alexis muttered to herself as she finished her chores. "I seriously doubt this is an accident. Oh well, time to do more than play the housewife then."

Thinking about the two dreams she had, Alexis begin to wonder whether the S.I.R. (Scholar In Red) favors certain examinations more than others. Well, only one way to find out...

Go to the nearest pet store and purchase a few frogs. Take them to the lab and vivisect them after securing them onto the dissecting table. Take note of the movements and functioning of the amphibians' organs and their reaction to external stimuli.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 04, 2018, 08:51:58 pm »

Darn. Let's call up some of my old war buddies. Maybe they've got some war trophies that the Scholar in Red would be interested in.

Spoiler: Walton J. Murphy (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #289 on: November 07, 2018, 11:57:29 am »

Ailn walks into the university basement with a toolbox under her arm. She seems unusually cheerful.
"Hello Richard! I caught a seagull! Do you want to help me take it apart?"

Get set up. Find a nice flat spot with good drainage, and align the eye so that it'll see what I'm doing. Lay out all my surgical tools.

With Richard's help, dissect the seagull. Keep as many organs intact as possible, merely removing them so that they can be examined in detail. Just like the Scholar did in the dream.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Sure, sounds like a fun diversion and it could serve as a practical test too."

Help Ailn in dissecting the seagull.
Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)
[5][10]
The dissection goes well enough; Ailn vivisects the bird, carefully removing organs and successfully keeping it alive for quite a long time. After it finally dies, Richard gets a bit...excited and proceeds to hack off the wings, head and feet with a large bone saw. Ailn mostly stays back from this, mildly worried about losing a finger to Richard's zeal.  After all is said and done and the corpse is swept into a garbage bag and the countertop washed, both Richard and Ailn feel an immense sense of fulfillment and ecstasy. 

+1 favor to both.

"What the hell happened here? Hey, did any of you hear anything?"
Discuss situation with neighbours, then go back inside and call the water company, fire department, etc before walking upstream to see if I can find the source of the water.

Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
You walk over to your fence on either side of your yard and ask your neighbors about the situation. They seem just as confused as you are, with no memory of any sound or sign of what could have caused this deluge. You shrug and then head back inside and call the various departments that you think would know how to handle this situation. In both cases the operator advises you that these sorts of situations are apparently happening all over town and that your situation has been noted and will be addressed as soon as possible.

Without much else to do you head upstream, hopping fences and cutting through yards, even wading a half a foot or so into the rapidly moving water. The water seems to be coming from a half dozen fire hydrants, or at least the sheered off remnants of them, that line the street. All of them are just pouring water constantly and it builds in size and power as it flows down hill until becoming the river outside your house. You dread to think what it will be like a few blocks and a few more fire hydrants down the hill.

Skip what I feel it's the introduction and start copying in my notebook the rest of the book, as much as possible before I run out of time. I can translate it later.

You flip through the book carefully, stopping and copying any sections that look interesting. Its all in an old illuminated German text like something out of the middle ages but you recognize a few images and loanwords. You carefully record anything that seems like it has to do with the scholar and then anything around those sections. You rapidly scribble about about 50 pages of copied text before your appointment ends.

Take a picture of this moth, and mount it with a pin and some paper, like it's a specimen.  I'll investigate that later.  After that, head in to the lab area.  On the way, bring a garbage bag and check my rat traps, putting any rats I find in the garbage bag for dissection purposes.

You document the insect with a photo and mount the moth on a piece of cardboard like a true lepidopterist. That done you head to the lab, a garbage bag with 3 rats inside it in your hand.

OK, I'm in no position to try anything stupid, so I probably shouldn't. I'm just going to wait and watch the house. Can I tell what his familial status is? Married? Kids? Rich? Poor? Political?

Just got to keep myself awake until he leaves. Pinch myself, slap myself, whatever it takes.

After that, I can just follow him to work and maybe find a place to take a small nap there. I should have some time. I mean, who goes to work just to leave the next minute?

Still, doesn't hurt to phone the other cultists (when I'm able) to see if anyone is interested in taking a shift while I sleep.

The house is absurdly standard, just another suburban box. Middle class, clearly married, no idea if he has kids or what his politics are from the house though.

He leaves maybe a hour after you start the stake out, getting into his car and driving off in the direction of the coast. He was dressed in business casual clothing, nothing fancy but not totally relaxed either. You note that as he gets into the car he places a bundle on the passenger seat and looks around a few times before starting off.

You follow along after him but he doesn't go where you're expecting. Instead of heading to work he heads straight to a rundown looking, pay by the hour, hotel.

"Freak wave, eh?" Alexis muttered to herself as she finished her chores. "I seriously doubt this is an accident. Oh well, time to do more than play the housewife then."

Thinking about the two dreams she had, Alexis begin to wonder whether the S.I.R. (Scholar In Red) favors certain examinations more than others. Well, only one way to find out...

Go to the nearest pet store and purchase a few frogs. Take them to the lab and vivisect them after securing them onto the dissecting table. Take note of the movements and functioning of the amphibians' organs and their reaction to external stimuli.

The guy at the pet store gives you a choice between two kinds of frogs; big toads that are apparently to be kept as pets and cost more, and little frogs that are raised as food for larger predators. They're cheaper but...well they might be more difficult to dissect. The toad is 20 bucks, the feeders are 1 each, 10 for 7 dollars.

Darn. Let's call up some of my old war buddies. Maybe they've got some war trophies that the Scholar in Red would be interested in.

[8] One of them tells you to come see him, that he's got something you might like.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 07, 2018, 12:15:32 pm »

Why skimp when you got much money? Besides, a bigger body is easier to vivisect.

Buy two toads then proceed with plan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 07, 2018, 12:26:33 pm »

As the project is completed, a wide grin spreads across Ailn's face. And lingers there for a few more seconds than seems healthy.
"Ahh, good! Now wasn't that fun? I could get used to this!"

Take the dead seagull and put it in the dumpster. Bury it underneath some other trash so that it's less obvious.

"Now, that's an avian taken care of. Probably best not to repeat ourselves, so let's do something different next. I think I might take up fishing~"

Any sporting goods shops that are a quick walk from the university? If so, I'd like to buy a fishing rod and some bait real quick and bring it back to the temple. Don't want to miss the thing with the frogs!

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 07, 2018, 02:46:55 pm »

"Huh."
Examine the remains of one or two of the hydrants and the surroundings for any clue as to how they were destroyed. Head up to the first hydrant in the chain; anything special about the location?

I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 07, 2018, 02:49:29 pm »

Sacrifice the rats to the Red Scholar via dissection.  Take photographs of the process.  Allow Alin or any others around to participate.  Ask Alin for money for the photo lab + other necessitites.

"Say, Alin, I think this scholar might like it more if we document our sacrifices to it.  That said, I really think we want to develop our own photos instead of sending them to just anywhere.. it might attract the wrong type of attention.  Could you help me set a photo lab up here?  I need about a thousand dollars or so."

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:42:47 am by Devastator »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2018, 07:14:50 pm »

The next day you start looking for work. [7] You call a PI you know from previous work and he tells you that he needs video of a man entering a particular establishment.  He gives you the details of the establishment and the man.
The location is a hotel. A hotel that charges by the hour. It's a U shaped kind of building with a parking lot in the center that lets you see the entire front side of the building. However it also has a smaller lot in back and there's a gas station across the street that has its own small lot.  Any of these would probably do for a stakeout though the main lot might be more obvious depending on how observant anyone is.

The information given to you says the target is most likely to be there on Wednesday or Friday, in the evenings. Supposedly this is when he has a bowling league. You have some pictures of the man and a home address, as well as a car license plate number.

So theoretically, all I need to do is record him entering. Howeve I can't resist poking around at least a little bit. So...

First things first, follow the man to the parking lot and find a place to park. Then try to discretely record him exiting his car and entering the establishment.

Then run after him (leave camera in car if necessary or hard to conceal). Enter and pretend to be a customer. Try to see/hear what his room number is. Rent a room, preferably one that is near his. Maybe I can eavesdrop or peek in through the window if there are balconies.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 08, 2018, 03:09:23 pm »

Nice. Take my bike over to this friend and see what he's got. If it's too far for a bike ride, take public transport instead.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 08, 2018, 03:42:42 pm »

Since I'm already in the library, try to find a dictionary to translate the old german.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Hotfire90

« Reply #297 on: November 08, 2018, 04:21:26 pm »

Richard smiled as he finished dissecting the bird, happy that the Scholar approves of his handiwork. He turned to Ailn before she left.

"Don't forget that we're having a special guest tonight, so please make sure you and the others are present here by sunset."

Return the eye back to where it was before, then head out and search for promising artists, offer to refer them to an art museum in exchange for a modest fee.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #298 on: November 12, 2018, 12:33:48 pm »

Why skimp when you got much money? Besides, a bigger body is easier to vivisect.

Buy two toads then proceed with plan.
You pay for two toads and then head back to the underground lair.
[2,1]
Despite your best efforts, the attempts to dissect the two frogs go extremely poorly. The first one you attempt to make a shallow cut to open the abdomen but end up jamming the blade straight into the creature's heart and killing it outright. You grimace and go to get the next one. As soon as you open the cage it leaps out and starts making a run...hop for it. You give chase and don't realize quick enough when it stops hopping and stands still for a moment. You stomp on it and bring a squishy end to your dissection attempts.

As the project is completed, a wide grin spreads across Ailn's face. And lingers there for a few more seconds than seems healthy.
"Ahh, good! Now wasn't that fun? I could get used to this!"

Take the dead seagull and put it in the dumpster. Bury it underneath some other trash so that it's less obvious.

"Now, that's an avian taken care of. Probably best not to repeat ourselves, so let's do something different next. I think I might take up fishing~"

Any sporting goods shops that are a quick walk from the university? If so, I'd like to buy a fishing rod and some bait real quick and bring it back to the temple. Don't want to miss the thing with the frogs!

You dump the bird and then sit around and watch the frog shenanigans before leaving.  Bait is cheap, you can get synthetic or worms but they're both about 3 bucks. The rods are more variable. Children's rods are cheapest, but a casual adult rod is about 45 dollars.

"Huh."
Examine the remains of one or two of the hydrants and the surroundings for any clue as to how they were destroyed. Head up to the first hydrant in the chain; anything special about the location?

The hydrants look like they were literally torn out of the ground. Literally like someone came, grabbed the hydrant with one giant hand, and ripped it up like they were weeding a garden. You see one of the torn off hydrants stuck in the branches of a nearby tree, partially blown apart from the inside. The first one you can find is the one furthest north and, perhaps coincidentally, the one closest to the ocean.

Sacrifice the rats to the Red Scholar via dissection.  Take photographs of the process.  Allow Alin or any others around to participate.  Ask Alin for money for the photo lab + other necessitites.

"Say, Alin, I think this scholar might like it more if we document our sacrifices to it.  That said, I really think we want to develop our own photos instead of sending them to just anywhere.. it might attract the wrong type of attention.  Could you help me set a photo lab up here?  I need about a thousand dollars or so."

[11]
You carefully dissect the rats and feel the same elation as the others as soon as you finish [Favor +1]. You snap photos of the whole process.

That done you talk to Alin about getting money for the photo lab.

The next day you start looking for work. [7] You call a PI you know from previous work and he tells you that he needs video of a man entering a particular establishment.  He gives you the details of the establishment and the man.
The location is a hotel. A hotel that charges by the hour. It's a U shaped kind of building with a parking lot in the center that lets you see the entire front side of the building. However it also has a smaller lot in back and there's a gas station across the street that has its own small lot.  Any of these would probably do for a stakeout though the main lot might be more obvious depending on how observant anyone is.

The information given to you says the target is most likely to be there on Wednesday or Friday, in the evenings. Supposedly this is when he has a bowling league. You have some pictures of the man and a home address, as well as a car license plate number.

So theoretically, all I need to do is record him entering. Howeve I can't resist poking around at least a little bit. So...

First things first, follow the man to the parking lot and find a place to park. Then try to discretely record him exiting his car and entering the establishment.

Then run after him (leave camera in car if necessary or hard to conceal). Enter and pretend to be a customer. Try to see/hear what his room number is. Rent a room, preferably one that is near his. Maybe I can eavesdrop or peek in through the window if there are balconies.

You leave the camera in the car - Too obvious- and head in after the man. He rents a room on the second floor and as soon as he's got his key and is out of earshot you ask for the room next to his. The clerk, a rather disreputable looking overweight man in a wifebeater shirt, looks you up and down and then gives you the key. He tells you not to disturb any of the customers and seems to recognize that you're a PI.

You head up to the second floor, careful to stay far enough behind the man not to alert him to your pursuit. As soon as he enters the room you enter the one next door, as quietly as possible. Best if he didn't realize you were there. The walls are thin, but not too thin. You can hear him talking to someone, probably on the phone, but its very hard to make out what he's saying. His voice is low enough that all you hear is a vague language like collection of noises. You sit down on the bed and wait. A few minutes later someone else comes down the hall and stops outside the room. And then two or three people follow behind that person. And then another set, who sound like they're dragging something.

Nice. Take my bike over to this friend and see what he's got. If it's too far for a bike ride, take public transport instead.

You head over to your friend's home and...well we'll skip the introductions, the greetings, the various social niceties and instead head to the crux of this: In his basement he has 8 preserved human heads. Apparently he took trophies from his time at war. You're not sure how he could of done such a thing, all things considered, but he managed somehow. Thats unexpected.

Since I'm already in the library, try to find a dictionary to translate the old german.

You find a German/English Dictionary, though considering the age of the german used, it might need some finagling to get it to translate right. But it should work well enough.

Richard smiled as he finished dissecting the bird, happy that the Scholar approves of his handiwork. He turned to Ailn before she left.

"Don't forget that we're having a special guest tonight, so please make sure you and the others are present here by sunset."

Return the eye back to where it was before, then head out and search for promising artists, offer to refer them to an art museum in exchange for a modest fee.
[7]
You head down to the arts district and run your little scam.  It takes several hours but you manage to talk a few of them into giving you some money as "finder's Fee" of sorts. You make 120 bucks out of it.

It is Noon.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 12, 2018, 02:25:12 pm »

"That seems like a... wise use of my 'resources', yes. I will need to visit the bank, however. Would you mind accompanying me? It seems that our foray into the unknown may have... exposed us to said unknown. I would rather not travel far by myself."
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36