Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36

Author Topic: CULT  (Read 73338 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: CULT
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2018, 09:46:59 am »

"Well, this place is just depressing. Still makes for a decent enough fallback base, I guess."

Check the desk if it contains anything of note. Then sweep the entire place again for hidden doors/containers/tunnels. Charlie's hiding somewhere, I can smell him.

Spoiler: Walton J. Murphy (click to show/hide)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2018, 03:02:58 pm »

"Could do. It might be a good idea to stake the place out tonight; see if anyone comes out of the woodwork then."

Join Murphy for one more sweep. Can never be too thorough.

Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2018, 11:50:44 am »

Lance plops down in the least dingy corner, sipping one of the beers and reading the mags he brought.

Spoiler: Lance Robbins (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:03:58 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2018, 01:43:06 pm »

"How nice of you two to pay me a visit, I'm afraid you've missed out on all the fun." Richard chuckled. "Anyhow, I was just about to begin, care to join me?"

Recruit the old woman to the cult, once that is done ask her about financial contributions and also try to obtain ownership of the store.

Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)
[3]
You attempt to talk the woman into joining. She seems appreciative and receptive but also...somewhat reserved.  Some sort of doubt or caution or fear is making her hold back. She says she wants some time to think about it.

Search the abandoned church for anything interesting.  Hidden basement, hints of occult activity, anything that might point to occupants more notable than the occasional squatter.

If nothing is found, return to town and inform others of the uninahabited nature of the church.  See if d12 standing can't nab Guile a free ride, despite his lack of a phone.

"Could do. It might be a good idea to stake the place out tonight; see if anyone comes out of the woodwork then."

Join Murphy for one more sweep. Can never be too thorough.

[5] You do as complete of a search as you can, overturning furniture, looking under the coating of leaves and trash, and finally searching the parameter gardens and land. You do find something, over in the garden area. Its almost completely grown over with bougainvillea, lost in twining limbs covered with brilliant red flowers and two inch thorns sharp as hypodermic needles: A trap door. Its made of wood, set into a small concrete frame and so covered in dirt that only the dull shine of the steel ring handle is visible. You lay on your belly and reach into the plant, gritting your teeth against the thorns that prick you, and grab the handle with your finger tips. You pull up and the door rises by a quarter inch, too heavy and distant for you to really get much of a grip on. At least not with this damned plant in the way.

Hmm. May as well look through my belongings and see if I have anything... you know, meaningfully occult. At least until everyone's returned and I can give them the good news that the orb has made a decision for us.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[1] (possessions reduced to d6).
You think back about your possessions, trying to remember if you have anything meaningfully occult. You come to the conclusion that you don't; the books and objects you have area all pretty common and mundane when it comes right down to it. You doubt the Scholar is going to be impressed with a reprint of a french grimoire you got from a book store.

"Hmm, lets see if I can provide it with some things it wants."

Keep the books the eye likes in the room, and discard the others.  Use my posessions die to see if I have an automobile.  Then buy a camera, one with some fancy lenses and a couple of rolls of film.

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)
You set the books the eye likes aside before dragging the boxes filled with the rest over to a corner of the room. Maybe for resale, maybe for kindling and firewood. Have to see.
[7]
You do have a car, though its back at your house. A Datsun Maxima sedan. Simple, unobtrusive, efficient. You had it painted cherry red. 

As per the camera, pricing varies but they're usually gonna be between 300-600 for most, with some of the more fancy models running higher, even into the 1000s. A Canon T50 is in your price range, has a variety of lenses that it can use, some coming with it, and is simple to operate. Its not a photographer's camera; its a point and shoot camera with few frills. Its 350 bucks, more if you want to get some special zoom and telephoto lenses. 

Duncan Mac Leodonnson

Spawn in abandoned building, attempt to recall whatever I know about my god and his mysteries

Remember to post your sheets.

[3] You don't know much, other than that the scholar is some kind of deity and that this group worships him.

Investigate the book in depth. Try to find more information regarding the Scholar and the cults in the book.

There isn't much; they're not a foot note but they're just a page or two. They apparently worked as doctors and did some good work but were eventually wiped out when the people figured out they were dissecting corpses and experimenting on the terminally ill, beggars, and prisoner. The group apparently claimed to have a linage back to ancient Egypt, with connections to Thoth.

"Well, this place is just depressing. Still makes for a decent enough fallback base, I guess."

Check the desk if it contains anything of note. Then sweep the entire place again for hidden doors/containers/tunnels. Charlie's hiding somewhere, I can smell him.

You check the desk while you let the others do the grunt work of searching for secrets. There's a drawer and you open it. A bible -no surprise- and a few other things lie within. An unlabeled, black leather bound book, a pencil, a crucifix the like of which you might hang on a wall, and about a dozen Morgan Dollar coins.

help Helen.
You Jab Helen in the ribs with your elbow and give her an impatient look.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2018, 02:05:55 pm »

"Come oooon! Are we going to go buy that lab or what?"

Hotfire90

« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2018, 05:23:52 pm »

"Alright, we'll give you some time, just don't forget who helped you out." Richard said to old woman, then turned around and looked at Alexis and Helen.
"About the lab. How did it go? Is it suitable for our needs and how much will it cost us?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2018, 05:41:19 pm »

Pocketing the loot, Walton raises his voice so those outside can hear him.

"Well lads, how are things on your end there? Found anything good? I found some knick knacks from a previous occupant, but nothing immediatly interesting."

Pocket all of that stuff from the drawer. Flip through the bible to see if it's different than a standard one somehow. Then open the unlabeled black leather book and start reading it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2018, 05:45:16 pm »

"It's super special awesome! It's in a basement, isolated, two large rooms with water and electricity. And a fume Hood. And all that for only $2250 a year! Equipment is extra, unless we're willing to share, but we can take care of that later no problem."

Hotfire90

« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2018, 05:59:43 pm »

"That sounds quite promising, very cheap too. Well I'm for it, meet you there later?"

Go to the nearest bank and withdraw some money.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2018, 06:15:21 pm »

Start doing some research and investigate this cult's connection with the Scholar in Red. Search my personal library for occult books that could be used in my investigation.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2018, 06:33:33 pm »

Go find that sandwich eating guy at the University, the one that's going to rent us the lab. Offer to take him out for dinner so that we can discuss more about the University and the kind of work that goes on there. Nothing naughty or sinister (for now), just a way to make friends and connections.

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2018, 10:07:28 pm »

"We're meet you there, Richard. However, first I would like to see what the others are doing. Since Helen is going back to the lab, I'll go see how the others are doing concerning the church."

Separating from the two, Alexis will go to the abandoned church to check on the guys' progress.

Spoiler: Alexis L. Cromwald (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:40:50 am by Sir Elventide »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2018, 02:35:50 pm »

"Well lads, how are things on your end there? Found anything good? I found some knick knacks from a previous occupant, but nothing immediatly interesting."
"We've hit the jackpot - hidden trapdoor! You were right! Just need to clear this bush out of the way and we can see what's down there."
Fetch the toolbox from the jeep. If anything in there can be repurposed for some impromptu gardening, clear this bush out of the way. A saw might work for the thicker limbs.

I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2018, 03:13:51 pm »

Lance is still in his corner, lying down on the floor. His arms are outstretched with a playboy magazine in his hands and more underneath his head, acting as a sort of pillow. Two beer bottles are precariously stacked, hole to hole.

Spoiler: Lance Robbins (click to show/hide)
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2018, 03:19:27 pm »

Pocketing the loot, Walton raises his voice so those outside can hear him.

Pocket all of that stuff from the drawer. Flip through the bible to see if it's different than a standard one somehow. Then open the unlabeled black leather book and start reading it.

You sweep everything except the bible and book into your bag before examining the two books more closely. The bible is a very old copy, heavily used, dog eared, stained and yellowed. You flip through pages and find large portions of it to be annotated in a tight and precise cursive, with lines drawn under portions of text. You page through it quickly but find that beyond the written portions it is an ordinary bible. You check the other book and find that it too is filled with the same precise cursive handwriting. This book appears to be a diary of sorts, with sections of text in varying length between dates. You flip through it and find that while it appears to start normal and rather banal, it becomes raving and almost unintelligible by the end. There are may diagrams drawn in the later half, images of the sun and moon paired, a flat map of the earth, a hierarchy diagram of dogs, a drawing describing the creation of a shadow, etc.

"That sounds quite promising, very cheap too. Well I'm for it, meet you there later?"

Go to the nearest bank and withdraw some money.

You say your goodbyes to the group and then head to the nearest ATM to withdraw some money. You pull out 300 dollars.

Start doing some research and investigate this cult's connection with the Scholar in Red. Search my personal library for occult books that could be used in my investigation.

Didn't you already do that exact thing?  Yeah you did. You can't just keep searching your possessions over and over for what amounts to the same thing. Instead, choose a new route; ask your connections for it or maybe go search a library or something like that.

Go find that sandwich eating guy at the University, the one that's going to rent us the lab. Offer to take him out for dinner so that we can discuss more about the University and the kind of work that goes on there. Nothing naughty or sinister (for now), just a way to make friends and connections.

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)
[-$3]
You head back to the school and find the man. He's done with his sandwich and appears to be getting ready to leave. You check a wall clock. It is getting on into the afternoon at this point.
[2]
You saunter up and ask him and offer to take him out to dinner, to discuss the university. He looks at you and then sniffs.

"Nah."

With that apparently being all he feels the need to say, he walks right past you, thermos and lunch box under one arm, and out into the parking lot.  You look yourself over for a moment and check your reflection in a glass cabinet. You look fine, and you behaved totally normally...Why would he turn you down?

"We're meet you there, Richard. However, first I would like to see what the others are doing. Since Helen is going back to the lab, I'll go see how the others are doing concerning the church."

Separating from the two, Alexis will go to the abandoned church to check on the guys' progress.

Spoiler: Alexis L. Cromwald (click to show/hide)
[-$20]
You take several buses and eventually make your way out to the church, showing up as night falls. You have to walk a good distance from the stop and you're rather worried that you've gone the wrong way until you spot the Jeep and Alexander.

"We've hit the jackpot - hidden trapdoor! You were right! Just need to clear this bush out of the way and we can see what's down there."
Fetch the toolbox from the jeep. If anything in there can be repurposed for some impromptu gardening, clear this bush out of the way. A saw might work for the thicker limbs.

[3] You walk out and grab the red tool box from the back of the jeep. It feels rather light and you set it down on the ground and open it up, checking the contents. Most of the tools are gone, there's nothing left but a wrench, a pair of pliers, a jeweler saw and a tire iron. You grimace at the almost empty box and try to remember where you left the tools. Were they at home? Did you let that asshole yuppie neighbor of yours borrow them again? Makes no difference right now.

You wave to Alexis as she comes in and walk back to the tree. [3] You use the jeweler saw to hack away at some of the branches. It works...sort of. You get some of the stuff cleared without mangling your hands too badly but its a very slow process.

IT IS SUNSET
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36