Spoiler (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: CULT
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2018, 06:14:02 pm »

I'll update this tomorrow morning. Was Gonna update it today but I have a tension headache that feels like very muscle in my head is trying to contract in and crush my skull. So I would probably be less than...eloquent.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2018, 06:19:54 pm »

How does a skeleton get a tension headache?

(Good luck, PW.)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2018, 11:41:10 am »

"Hmm. I think the Scholar can see us through the engraved eye. Maybe it can listen too. Or read mouths?"

Hold the orb and turn it so the eye is facing me. Tell it about the different places that we've found, ask which would be best.
Afterwards leave the orb here, assuming someone else is there to watch it. Go to the bank and find out if I could buy the abandoned church outright, or if we would need to pool our money.

You fish the orb back out and hold it carefully on the tips of several fingers, shifting it so that the eye is staring directly at you. You begin telling the orb about the various places that the other members have found, and for a while you feel like you're somewhat wasting your time. But then, when you speak of the underground room in the university, a liquid tingle runs through your body like a pleasant electrical shock. You feel that this is a positive reply.

You set the orb down and head to the bank (-$3). You eventually get paired with an agent of the bank and ask them about the property near Soledad, the old mission.  They tell you that this bank has nothing to do with it, but then offer to call down to Soledad to see if their sister bank in that town holds the deed or the mortgage.  He returns a few minutes later and tells you that its a bit of a complicated situation. Apparently the mission was vacated because a new church was built in town, but the owner of the land the old mission was built on died suddenly without leaving any sort of will. The property changed hands a few times and is now technically owned by the town, rather than any individual. He advises you go see the government of Soledad to talk to them about it.

"Greetings, is there a problem?"

Ask the protestors about their group, why they're protesting, willingly accept one of their pamphlets and try to defuse the situation.

If asked about my connection with the old woman, tell them that I was looking to buy a bookstore and that she needed to think about it and that I should return later.

Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)
[12]
You walk over to the protestors with an air of mild arrogance and a bit of a swagger. They shout at you, repeating slogans, and you snap up a brochure with a smile. You read the thing over with great care, making some rather exaggerated faces and gestures as you do, before tossing it over your shoulder and stepping up to the woman who seems to be in charge. Over the course of several minutes of shouted conversation you bring up the woman's seemingly encyclopedic nature of the occult and satanism and wonder aloud  why a good christian would know these things. You then talk about how there are surely satanists out there mascaraing as Christians, diverting attention from real sites of satanic worship to attack harmless decoys. You give the example of a hippy book store, being very unsubtle.

Despite the overt nature of your manipulation, you can see it is having an effect. Several of the members of the protesting group grow more quiet and seem to consider the shop for the first time. It's clear to you that this woman has wrapped them up in her own fervor and they simply got drawn in and followed her lead.  She sees this as well and despite still vehemently denying everything you say, calls for the group to pack up and leave. She uses some excuse that is vaguely religious and they quickly fall back in line. However, as they leave you see her look at you with real, honest, raw hate in her eyes.

You wave as their minivans depart and head into the store. The owner seems quite happy to see you and thanks you profusely for running off the protestors. She seems the type not to like conflict.

Examine the purchased books with the orb of the Red Scholar in attendance.  Did I find anything interesting occult-wise?

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)
You go through the books one at a time, holding them up where the eye can see them. Most of the time nothing happens but you get a few responses in the form of tingling pleasure. The first is for an old anatomy book, particularly it seems to like the images, the various illustrations of dissections. The second, a manual on toxicology, huge and dull green with hundreds of pages of various poisons and toxins. The third, an atlas, and the fourth, a book of Alphonse Mucha's art, with some scattered images of other Art Deco and Art Nouveau works.  Novels and other similar works of fiction which dominate the used books seem to be of little interest.

Well, the night club isn't a total bust. It'll be expensive to own, but we'll have enough space to do as we please.

Take another bus back to my (shitty)apartment and pick up some magazines, and a icebox with some beers in it.  Then, take a second bus back to the abandoned building our cult is hiding out in.

Spoiler: Lance Robbins (click to show/hide)
(-$6)
[8] You head back to your home, a shitty little roach infested apartment in a not so great part of town, and pick up a few things. First, a stack of magazines, then a cooler. You use the Appartment's ice machine to fill the cooler and stuff a dozen or so beers in it before taking the bus back out to the abandoned building, or at least as close as it will go. You drag the cooler the rest of the way and stuff it in one corner of the big room you've all been using as a headquarters for now. You pile the magazines down next to the books.

"Screw those other guys. We gotta get in on this right now." Helen said as she set her camera on the counter so that it points at her.
"And the best way to do this..." she added as she run back to stand next to her gal pal.
"Is with a montage!" she concluded, pointing at the camera and winking.

This place is awesome! We'll take it! Contact the others and tell them we're turning it into our temple and they should come help. Then rent this place and start turning it into our temple. And since this is the 80s, the best way to do that is with a montage!

Edit: Dev is worried I'll decide our temple single-handedly, so don't actually do that. Just start preparing to turn this place into a temple. Do NOT turn this place into a temple just yet.

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)
"He's right, Helen. Eventually, we will need to vote on which place to set up the temple. Whatever place that gets selected will be where the Scholar will rest and the other places will be used as fallback assuming they are still available. In the meantime, let's price this place and check on the others."

After dealing with Helen's antics, go inquire about the rent and utilities for the place. After that, go check on the others, starting with the New Age shop.

Spoiler: Alexis L. Cromwald (click to show/hide)
Helen seems extremely impressed and contented with the space, and so turns straight back around and marches back to the man, still enjoying his sandwich, Alexis right behind her. Helen leads with her desire to rent the place, excitement showing, but Alexis steps in and instead simply says they like the space and would like some information about cost so they can talk it over with the others in their group. The man says that the rent is $1100 per year for shared access, $2250 for exclusive access. Utilities are included and equipment can be rented, or shared if other groups give the ok.  They write the costs down and then head out. (-$3 each).

They reach the Serpent maybe 5 minutes after the protestors have left and meet up with Richard.

"By the way, Alexander, was it? From the look of you, you used to be an army man. How's your aim?"
Alexander smiles and nods affirmitive before replying. "Cpl. Alexander Sill, 82nd Airborne. Medical discharge after Urgent Fury. You?" He shrugs. "And not bad, though it's been a while, and I wouldn't exactly call myself a crack shot."

Yeah, let's check out the back rooms, then perhaps take a closer look at the pulpit. "Either of you have any idea what could have done that?"

Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
Alexander smiles and nods affirmitive before replying. "Cpl. Alexander Sill, 82nd Airborne. Medical discharge after Urgent Fury. You?" He shrugs. "And not bad, though it's been a while, and I wouldn't exactly call myself a crack shot."

"Gunnery sergeant Murphy, 1st marine division. Medical discharge after I got caught by Charlie and they beat me into uselessness. I tell ya son, never understimate a tiny asian man in a funny hat.

Anyway, my hands aren't what they used to be.Why don't you hold on to my old shotgun, just in case?"

Hand over my shotgun (Remington 870, shortened barrel, pistol grip, loaded) and the handful of shotgun shells to Alexander. Then join him into checking the back rooms, shining the flashlight so we can see what we're doing. Keep my eyes open for basements or otherwise hidden (trap)doors.

Spoiler: Walton J. Murphy (click to show/hide)
The back rooms are set on concrete or maybe adobe and thus in better condition than the main room. They're significantly cooler as well, insulated behind thick walls with few small windows to allow light in. The place is also absolutely covered in dust, dead leaves, and litter; apparently the wind blows everything through the main room and it accumulates back here and get stuck. The mixture of leaves, insects, and trash crunches beneath your feet as you search and the air smells like dry compost, vaguely rotten. There are three rooms: A supply room,  a kitchen, and a study/bedroom. None of them are very big; the supply room is piled with the remnants of old crates, the kitchen has a built in fireplace for cooking and an old table, and the bedroom has the frame of a bed in one corner and a desk in the other.  Everything is empty and, aside from some spiders, uninhabited. The crates in the supply room have food, now long expired. You pick up a glass jar of preserved peaches and can see the shriveled black things in opaque brown fluid within.  There's a back door from the kitchen out into a little area that might have been a Garden at some point, but its so over grown now that its hard to say.

Use my point of favor in Possessions, leveling it up to 1d12. Try to use my "Possessions" and find a book that has the sigil of the Scholar.

[10]
You return home (-$3) and search through your library until you find a book containing an image of the Scholar's sigil.  In the book its connected to a "Necromancer" cult in Arabia. In this case Necromancer appears to mean surgeon, as internal medicine and surgery was considered blasphemous at the time, same with dissection.

Research everything I can about Diane Flemming. Her past, her family, her occupation, her standing in the community, etc.
Remember to post your sheet. Next time I'll roll with a d4.

[10]
There's only so much that can be dug up here, but you find out the following from various articles about her. She was apparently born in the midwest (They don't state exactly where) and moved here with her children following a divorce. You only find one article mentioning that- it must be something she doesn't like to advertise.  She is an "Active church volunteer" and "Career woman" with mention of working in "a bank".  Most of the articles about her are about her as a religious "Crusader" for one thing or another. She seems, for lack of a better description, to be an avid pearl clutcher. She's always bouncing around from one cause to the next, screaming about the good of the children and the encroaching menace of immorality or satanism or whatever. She even tried to stop the construction of a Sikh temple, claiming they were moon worshipers or something similar.

Duncan Mac Leodonnnson

Welcome. Feel free to spawn in the abandon building.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2018, 12:36:02 pm »

"Aww... Why are we out here when we could be on the thick of slaughter when we could be doing something fun? Can't someone else recruit that nice old lady?"

Hotfire90

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2018, 12:44:54 pm »

"How nice of you two to pay me a visit, I'm afraid you've missed out on all the fun." Richard chuckled. "Anyhow, I was just about to begin, care to join me?"

Recruit the old woman to the cult, once that is done ask her about financial contributions and also try to obtain ownership of the store.

Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:46:51 pm by Hotfire90 »

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2018, 01:18:43 pm »

"We would love to, seeing that we're finished looking over the basement space at Uni," Alexis said, before dropping into a whisper. "Personally, I don't buy into this New Age business. Sure they appeared to be preferable to the 'Church of Happyology', gag me with a spoon, but still... Sure, I may have been influenced by my father, who was a conservative pastor and he would often compared the New Agers to hippies but their beliefs are a bit weird."

Shrugging, Alexis continued. "Of course, the irony of what our particular sect is or will be about is not lost on me. Everyone's beliefs sound weird to outsiders, right?"

Spoiler: Alexis L. Cromwald (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2018, 02:05:52 pm »

Search the abandoned church for anything interesting.  Hidden basement, hints of occult activity, anything that might point to occupants more notable than the occasional squatter.

If nothing is found, return to town and inform others of the uninahabited nature of the church.  See if d12 standing can't nab Guile a free ride, despite his lack of a phone.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2018, 02:44:27 pm »

Hmm. May as well look through my belongings and see if I have anything... you know, meaningfully occult. At least until everyone's returned and I can give them the good news that the orb has made a decision for us.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2018, 03:34:04 pm »

"Hmm, lets see if I can provide it with some things it wants."

Keep the books the eye likes in the room, and discard the others.  Use my posessions die to see if I have an automobile.  Then buy a camera, one with some fancy lenses and a couple of rolls of film.

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2018, 03:37:25 pm »

((Since the university area seems like the best place, I think we should use the bookstore as a decoy. The woman (who I believe is Diane Flemming) will no doubt jump at the opportunity picket the bookstore again. If I anonymously blackmail her to leave the bookstore alone (by bringing up her divorce), she'll feel absolutely sure that the bookstore is where a cult is located, and will tunnel-vision onto it. Of course, my character doesn't all these events, yet, so we'd have to have him find out, first.))
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2018, 04:47:00 pm »

Duncan Mac Leodonnson

Spawn in abandoned building, attempt to recall whatever I know about my god and his mysteries

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2018, 05:17:29 pm »

Investigate the book in depth. Try to find more information regarding the Scholar and the cults in the book.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2018, 07:24:18 pm »

help Helen.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36