Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how fast can water flow flush enemies  (Read 1063 times)

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how fast can water flow flush enemies
« on: August 17, 2018, 06:14:16 am »

I'm considering building a simplest defending trap system. using water flow to flush enemies to a certain point and keep them their, while the rest of the enemies keep entering the trap system. when they are all assembled, close the room to drown them, or use upright spike traps to harvest them. I prefer the latter for there may be some invaders who do not breath.

problem is that how fast can water flow flush the enemies, and can it keep a huge number of them in limited tiles.

brief side view:
                                          ←water flow
_____||...___WWW
W=Wall
||=bridge wall
...=floor grate

==============update I==============
considering there may be building destroyers can destroy grate, and wiki suggests that fortification will not block creatures in flow, I come up with next version of the design:

Side view:
                                             ←water flow
                                        WWW            Z2
                       F    SWWW                    Z1
[Fort]____...H || SWWW                       Z0
W = wall
F = fortification
... = floor grate
H = hatch
S = upright spike trap
|| = bridge

in this design, the flow will first fill the Z0 channel up, but will keep flowing in Z1 level, pushing creatures from right to left. enemies may attempt to climb up to Z1 floor from Z0 channel, but will be continously pushed back and for those who can frequently climb on the Z1 floor, there is also a S trap prepared for them (although I think it won't be neccesary). after the butchering, lay down the bridge and harvest the goblinite. for evil enviroment, drop bodies first through Hatches (don't know if dwarves can dump bodies directly through grate or not)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:36:01 am by Timmi »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: how fast can water flow flush enemies
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 06:37:53 am »

Second part, yes. Judging by the effects of water on rocks, effect depends on the weight of what you're moving, but haven't checked on live creatures myself.

You may be interested in this, looks kinda similar to what you're attempting.

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:22:01 am »

Second part, yes. Judging by the effects of water on rocks, effect depends on the weight of what you're moving, but haven't checked on live creatures myself.

oh yes! exactly what i'm thinking!

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:50:13 am »

I encounter the same problem that building destroyers may destroy the grate. And wiki suggests that fortification will not block creatures in flow.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 05:31:43 pm »

You probably want to use Luriant's last design, not first one (mind the drainage). Only 7/7 fortifications are swimmable, but if they can swim out against the waterflow they're not going to go in in the first place.