Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How prevalent is steel in your worlds?  (Read 1543 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How prevalent is steel in your worlds?
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:44:53 pm »

I haven't uet found any items of steel. Another quirck, is that I've found silver weapons but no armor of silver.

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How prevalent is steel in your worlds?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:02:38 pm »

The only civ that can use steel is dwarves, so you need to visit a mountain hall or hillock to find steel equipment- This also means all steel armour will be sized for dwarves (though it will fit elves and goblins), so the best you can do as a human or animal man is get a steel weapon.

Also, silver isn't a valid material for making armour, so you won't find any.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:21:13 pm »

Is smithing a part of Adventure, or is that modded stuff?

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 10:13:57 pm »

You can't smith in adventure mode, at least not without mods
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 10:19:37 pm »

The only civ that can use steel is dwarves, so you need to visit a mountain hall or hillock to find steel equipment- This also means all steel armour will be sized for dwarves (though it will fit elves and goblins), so the best you can do as a human or animal man is get a steel weapon.

Dwarf-sized animal people can wear dwarf-sized armor.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 12:07:06 am »

Dwarf-sized animal people can wear dwarf-sized armor.

True, but there are only a handful of those.

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
  • [POWER] Legendary Blowgunner, Legendary Knapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 02:24:20 pm »

steel is prevalent enough in my world that anyone can use them if they are in the right spot, its on the default settings. the dwarves in my world are unlucky since theres only two civs around of their kind and only one of them has access to steel. the other one is a goblin civilization located in the dunes that only have two sites, something about skirmishing with steel/black bronze goblins in adventure mode is really awesome when i destroy their steel mail stuff with a copper dagger. it depends where the civilizations are placed, ie
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and its not really a technological advance, its just whats available. my world only has twenty years of history.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 12:14:20 pm »

Is that a modded game? I'm fairly sure that the interactions that allow for steelmaking are restricted to dwarven civilisations regardless of any other factors (and that dwarves will always have steel even if they have no way of obtaining it legitimately)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
  • [POWER] Legendary Blowgunner, Legendary Knapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 04:36:44 am »

Is that a modded game? I'm fairly sure that the interactions that allow for steelmaking are restricted to dwarven civilisations regardless of any other factors (and that dwarves will always have steel even if they have no way of obtaining it legitimately)

Its definitely vanilla, on the same world i found green jade carving knives as odd that may be. It is definitely taking into consideration whats available on the region because of that(i haven't programmed this game obviously this is just by my observation), especially since any other civs can make coral stuff despite not having any specific interaction tied to it by being near the stuff(you cant make stuff out of coral) however it could be just a feature-bug the whole lot of this.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 11:44:06 pm »

I've seen steel artifacts (stolen from dwarves, I guess) at the top of a dark fortress, and I found a green diamond slicing knife on this otherwise unremarkable human monk. Vanilla LNP game.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 01:10:24 am »

I've been able to find a decent amount, buying it off military dwarves by giving them piles of bone rings and figurines. But then, I tend to play with frequent-metal worlds. I'd rather have the challenge come from boosted beast numbers than from having to import all my metals.