Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor to protect [GRASP] tail?  (Read 921 times)

QuestionMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Armor to protect [GRASP] tail?
« on: August 12, 2018, 04:03:05 am »

Hello. I'm new here.

I have a problem trying to mod a new race which uses its tail for GRASP, I thought you may know how I could solve it.

The problem is that I can not cover that tail with any armor. In my tests those little beings lost their tails at the very beginning of a battle, sailed of in an arc every time.

Tried to cover them with Chain mail which has LBSTEP:1 (it should be enough, isn't it?) also tried to cover it with a gauntlet but the tail is not  or . I gave their tails  and  tokens, maybe that is the thing causing problems? Could segmenting the tail solve the problem? Still the tail is not LEFT or RIGHT to use a gauntlet.

How could I make this work? Any way to create an armor to cover specificaly tails? Could I do body armor to protect it?

I found this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18536.0  Where Toady explains how does it work. I tried but failed.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:08:56 am by QuestionMan »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Armor to protect [GRASP] tail?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 04:21:34 am »

if reading that right, the creatures pants need to have an UPSTEP greater than 1. as UPPERBODY armor would hit the LOWERBODY and stop? and if it stopped there, then it won't bleed into the tail

QuestionMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 04:48:07 am »

Hello.

I just tried. I gave greaves UBSTEP:1. Equipped the thing with steel greaves, high boots etc and with a single hit with an iron sword it sailed off in an arc, again. I think it does not work because of GRASP token.

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 04:55:40 am »

AFAIK Armor won't extend over a grasp body part, full stop.

Try adding another body part to the tail (call it tail grasp or something) and make it internal, small, default relsize one and add grasp to it, not your tail.  That way your tail will be armored as normal for a tail, and the hidden internal part is what actually does the carrying weapons bit.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

QuestionMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 05:02:03 am »

Ok, thanks. I'm going to try that.

-Edit

I did and it worked! I didn't know that SMALL along with INTERNAL could have such result. I did read the wiki but missed that part. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:26:47 am by QuestionMan »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 07:32:53 am »

I did and it worked! I didn't know that SMALL along with INTERNAL could have such result. I did read the wiki but missed that part. Thanks.

It's a rather popular sort of thing--used to be used for telekinesis quite a bit, too, making the brain or similar a grasp part. Leads to brain gloves, but other than that it's pretty cool.

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 07:54:28 am »

It's a rather popular sort of thing--used to be used for telekinesis quite a bit, too, making the brain or similar a grasp part. Leads to brain gloves, but other than that it's pretty cool.
AFAIK That only happens if you include RIGHT or LEFT on your grasper.  Unicorn telekinesis is implemented that way in Fallout Equestria, and they do not wear gloves on the telekinesis parts inside their horns - I just tested in arena by spawning a unicorn with a bunch of gloves, and the unicorn only wore gloves on it's front hooves (which have GRASP and LEFT/RIGHT), but not it's mouth or the Telekinesis body parts inside it's horn (which only have GRASP).  However, this changed when I "hot-modded" the two horn TK graspers of a unicorn caste through gui/gm-editor and gave one grasper left and the other right - then they could have gloves on their telekinesis.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 10:24:48 pm »

I know nothing of how to make it work, but have them tie their tails up in battle like the Sayans of Dragonball.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 10:55:02 pm »

If you make a custom reaction you can make non-sided gloves for the tail. This also gives the benefit of being able to make a custom armor name so it doesn't sound stupid to put gauntlets on your tail.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 11:00:20 pm »

I know nothing of how to make it work, but have them tie their tails up in battle like the Sayans of Dragonball.
I don't think you can. It's easy to overestimate DF.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.