Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are the massive candy spires still a thing?  (Read 1467 times)

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are the massive candy spires still a thing?
« on: August 11, 2018, 04:09:36 pm »

For those who don't know, a candy spire is something along these lines, though usually far more tame.

I know that though they were extremely rare, they were not a one-off thing. However, I haven't been able to find any mention of them from recent versions. Do they still occur or have they been patched?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:19:55 pm by SpeardwarfErith »
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are adamantine spires still a thing?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 04:28:02 pm »

Adamantine, a.k.a. "candy" spires are very much a thing. There's a fair bit of info on the wiki about them, but any embark of a size of at least 3*3 will have 1-4 spires (there's a bug that can cause spires not to show up where defined in worlds with less than 3 cavern layers), and properly aligned 2*2 embarks will have exactly one (subject to the same bug).

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 04:30:38 pm »

Adamantine, a.k.a. "candy" spires are very much a thing. There's a fair bit of info on the wiki about them, but any embark of a size of at least 3*3 will have 1-4 spires (there's a bug that can cause spires not to show up where defined in worlds with less than 3 cavern layers), and properly aligned 2*2 embarks will have exactly one (subject to the same bug).

That's absolutely the wrong kind of spire, he's talking about the beard hairs of Armok- which are an extraordinarily rare phenomenon.

I haven't heard of one in years, honestly- but I'm not as acting in the upper boards and in DF as I used to be. I don't think they occur anymore.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 05:50:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's a bug. Not sure if it got squashed, or if it's just so rare nobody happened to encounter it recently.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:54:52 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 10:19:20 pm »

It's 100% a bug, but by Armok it was the most glorious one in existence. The thing is that they are so rare it's entirely plausible that they still exist but nobody has reported it since last time- I think there are only 3 or so spires ever found and reported.

Also, despoilered title
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are the massive candy spires still a thing?
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 04:03:16 am »

I've been able to hack spires to extend to the first cavern, but trying to extend them to the surface results in no spire at all. I haven't tried lowering the surface to below the first cavern, though...

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 12:28:39 pm »

How massive is massive?

In 43.05 my fort on a 4 by 5 embark, something like that, had three spikes of adamantine.  One flush with the lava, one slightly taller, and one almost as tall as the lowest level cave, which was about 40 z levels tall.  So it had about 30 levels of gettable adamantine and the top was entirely solid.

Sure, it doesn't touch the surface, but how much do you need?

I don't think terrain generation has changed since then, so I would say fairly massive pillars are still in the game.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 02:00:06 pm »

How massive is massive?

In 43.05 my fort on a 4 by 5 embark, something like that, had three spikes of adamantine.  One flush with the lava, one slightly taller, and one almost as tall as the lowest level cave, which was about 40 z levels tall.  So it had about 30 levels of gettable adamantine and the top was entirely solid.

Sure, it doesn't touch the surface, but how much do you need?

I don't think terrain generation has changed since then, so I would say fairly massive pillars are still in the game.

You really need to read the link in the OP, it's a part of our cultural heritage as much as mermaid bones and murder elephants. Said spires extend thousands of Z levels above ground- to the point that they basically broke dwarven pathfinding and caused all migrants to stop and stare in awe and wonder until thirst and hunger claimed them.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 09:35:16 am »

I've been able to hack spires to extend to the first cavern, but trying to extend them to the surface results in no spire at all. I haven't tried lowering the surface to below the first cavern, though...

How have you managed that?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 09:59:43 am »

If I remember correctly it was a worldgen bug caused by running advanced worldgen multiple times without closing the game, or something like that.  Or maybe I'm thinking of some other cavern / underworld related worldgen bug.

In any case, I'm pretty sure it was fixed at least a major version ago.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 01:50:27 pm »

How have you managed that?
That functionality is available in the Region Manipulator (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164136.msg7454345#msg7454345), so the easiest thing is probably to look at how it's done there.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 08:32:16 am »

If you're asking specifically about the massive above-ground spires, that was probably http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5077, which was fixed in 0.34.03. In theory, you could corrupt feature files yourself and get similarly strange results (or more likely crashes).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 11:51:12 am »

If you're asking specifically about the massive above-ground spires, that was probably http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5077, which was fixed in 0.34.03. In theory, you could corrupt feature files yourself and get similarly strange results (or more likely crashes).

Damn, I guess no more spire of Armok for me.