Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant Surprise  (Read 783 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant Surprise
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:56:13 pm »

I had a big fort (pop 150) with everyone trained up as legendary warriors. But that fort was bugged and couldn't get any more migrants. So I started a new fort in the same civilization near the old fort. These two forts are far from all the other sites for that civilization.

Result: So far, all the migrants to the new fort are from the old fort. Everyone coming in is legendary, and in useful skills! They even have their old nicknames. Sadly, they don't have their old gear. But it's certainly speeding my fort along.

I knew that migrants could be historical figures. But it seems I've stumbled across a way to make them all historical figures.

Does anyone know the mechanics at work here? Would the result have been different if the new fort were in a different civilization? If the new fort were equidistant from an all-HF fort and a no-HF fort, what proportion of HFs would I get as migrants? And is the old fort filling up with nobodies, since the HFs are leaving?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant Surprise
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 10:18:03 pm »

You can get the work gear with this, btw: i.e. the picks, axes and crossbows, as long as the relevant labour was enabled at the time of retirement.

There's also been reports that they bring over what they were hauling at the time of retirement. Haven't tested, but if it holds true it could be every item in your fortress bar large fb corpses, held in a series of nested minecarts.

PS: Oh yeah, they'll come even if they have to come over the ocean. Previous fort migrants showing up was a staple of succession world.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 11:29:55 pm »

Everyone in my old fort was fully armed and armored, and they didn't bring any of it to the new fort.

So are you saying that the HFs in a civ will migrate to the new fort in preference to the nobodies, regardless of distance?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 12:05:09 am »

Yeah, military gear isn't work gear.

I wouldn't say that; certainly only some of the migrants in succesion world were from player forts, not all. Your case might be different because there are no other forts/dwarves alive but yours.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 04:08:53 am »

Yes, things being hauled when I retired a fortress were hauled by the same dorfs when they arrived at my new fortress. I didn't do it on purpose, though, so I only got fairly low use items, such as i.e. a boulder. With a dead civ I've consistently gotten 6 of the 7 dorfs from the a bridge fortress (embark to create a connection over an ocean tile, then retire immediately before making the "real" embark) as migrants in the two waves. The expedition leader always stays behind. I don't remember clearly, but I think the 6 from the previous fortress were mixed up with void dorfs over both of the migrant waves.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 04:41:16 am »

Just to be clear: This civ isn't dead. It has 28 sites, but they're all on the other side of a medium world, over 100 world tiles away. Maybe the geography is why I'm only getting migrants from the fort I just retired.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 05:01:18 am »

Just to be clear: This civ isn't dead. It has 28 sites, but they're all on the other side of a medium world, over 100 world tiles away. Maybe the geography is why I'm only getting migrants from the fort I just retired.
Right now, dwarves from old player fortresses are weighted with a slightly higher chance to migrate to a new player fortress than dwarves from elsewhere (forget exactly where Toady said that, fotf probably).

This is a carryover from a more static, less simulated world when that kind of thing was kind of neat. Now, it's just a little annoying.

I mean, I like my dwarves to be able to have lives after being part of a player fortress, move around, perhaps end up at my new place, but having half the population of my perfectly fine old fortress move to my new place on the other side of the map (compete with their stress issues) ignoring the hundreds of interesting sites in between (not to mention the defence of the old place...) is too immersion breaking for me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:02:54 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 06:50:24 am »

I mean, I like my dwarves to be able to have lives after being part of a player fortress, move around, perhaps end up at my new place, but having half the population of my perfectly fine old fortress move to my new place on the other side of the map (compete with their stress issues) ignoring the hundreds of interesting sites in between (not to mention the defence of the old place...) is too immersion breaking for me.

They just don't trust the AI overseer. Hard to blame them.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 11:43:08 am »

One exception to work gear vs. military gear: mercenaries granted residence in the old fort do bring all their gear when migrating to your new fort.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?