Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to make zombies intelligent?  (Read 867 times)

Evillee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to make zombies intelligent?
« on: August 09, 2018, 02:40:49 am »

If I edited the raws, could I make an interaction that animates zombies capable of speech? If so, how would I go about doing that?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:36:09 am by Evillee »
Was there sand? Was it coarse and rough and irritating and did it get everywhere?

Abyzou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to make zombies intelligent?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 03:49:05 am »

I'm afraid not. Even after removing the NOTHOUGHT token none of my raised zombies would respond to me. It seems animated corpses are always mute.

You could try "resurrecting" instead of "animating" them, but then they will retain the loyalties they had in life, and won't be brought under your control.

Evillee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 09:11:20 am »

Thanks for that, saved me a lot of trouble.
Was there sand? Was it coarse and rough and irritating and did it get everywhere?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 11:07:41 am »

Even after removing the NOTHOUGHT token none of my raised zombies would respond to me.

This is probably because you didn't actually do anything because you were modifying an example--the raise example is an example, nothing more, and does nothing, nor does anything outside the raw/objects folder in the raw folder. The actual raise interactions are procedurally generated on a per-world basis, though all identical.

Abyzou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 01:12:50 pm »

Even after removing the NOTHOUGHT token none of my raised zombies would respond to me.

This is probably because you didn't actually do anything because you were modifying an example--the raise example is an example, nothing more, and does nothing, nor does anything outside the raw/objects folder in the raw folder. The actual raise interactions are procedurally generated on a per-world basis, though all identical.

I actually copied the raise example into the raw/objects folder and renamed it TEST_RAISE. Here it is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see I removed both NOTHOUGHT and NOEMOTION. Yet the zombies still won't talk to me... which makes me think animated corpses inherently can't speak, regardless of whether or not NOTHOUGHT is present. Unless I've made some mistake here?

Oh and I'm testing it in the arena btw.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 01:57:22 am »

Also partially to do with ANIMATE corpses having no souls, i'd guess. RESURRECT might be what you want.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 01:45:35 am »

I have definitely been able to make talking zombies in the past, but they were about as interesting to talk to as you'd expect.  Since they have no soul they lack any personality traits or ability to learn, and so would respond to anything but the most basic questions with "Uhh...".  They also displayed a glitchy character screen if examined in fort mode.

This was a few versions ago.  It may have changed.