Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Needs  (Read 411 times)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Needs
« on: August 08, 2018, 02:55:40 pm »

So I'm making my first true foray into DF since the new needs system was implemented. I understand that dwarves need to pray and party and other such things in order to stay happy and focused, but I'm a little more concerned about things like needing to be able to practice a craft or a martial art.

From what I've read on the wiki, dwarves will naturally take time out of their schedules to go and satisfy these needs, but it seems a little vague on how exactly they do it.

Will a dwarf that needs to practice a martial art crash a training session and spar for a bit before going back to work? Will someone who needs to practice a craft claim a workshop and make a few rock crafts? Basically, do they fulfill these needs automatically, or do I have to do an annual psych evaluation of my citizens and tell them to go do these things, or do they manage that by themselves?

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Needs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 04:28:52 pm »

Welcome to micromanagement hell! Everything that needs some "assigning" has to be done by you, enabling crafting jobs, putting dwarves into squads, queuing up these crafting jobs and stopping the same dwarf from working through them all... The things you can't really order them to do they will do on their own, social stuff and all that is done in meeting zones if the facilities are there. On the positive side, most needs seem fulfillable by more than one thing, you don't quite have to do everything and filling all needs on everyone isn't needed (or possible) anyway. And bugs of course, its DF. Play a year to see for yourself, it starts slow enough, then come over to the stress and psyche thread for details.