Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: DoomsDay Dawn OOC Thread [Pathfinder Playtest] (6/6|0/3)  (Read 9980 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DoomsDay Dawn [Pathfinder Playtest] (6/6|0/3)
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2018, 02:35:22 pm »

Yeah, I'm really going to try and play the physically frail trickster archetype here.

Also to note, apparently intimidation can be used in combat to give an enemy frightened, which gives them -1 to all dice rolls and saving throws if I'm reading this right, so pretty much working as a discount "drige of doom" composition. I also have the Message cantrip, so I could possibly intimidate someone from 120 feet away.

Which means that, together with some clever positioning and hiding my mouth behind my scarf, I could discreetly whisper intimidating things in someone's ear from a hiding spot 120 feet away if I wanted. Neat.

EDIT: This has gotten me wondering about other ways to use the message cantrip for shenanigans. Like, maybe I can use it together with deception to impersonate the voice of guard 1, to whisper hurtful things into guard 2 ear about his mother, hopefully to get them fight eachother or at least get into an argument.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:50:42 pm by Pancaek »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2018, 04:47:21 pm »

I can in fact read that.

My situation should improve at some point. Certainly by the end of the month.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2018, 08:42:30 pm »

Currently working on the paladin sheet. What would be best: 12 Charisma or 12 Wisdom?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2018, 08:53:57 pm »

Cha is what paladins need for spell points apparently, so I'd go for that.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2018, 02:11:55 pm »

Alright, thanks. Would it be better to take the Splint Mail or just buy the cheaper and weaker Scale Mail? What things should I buy from the gear section?
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2018, 02:31:06 pm »

Depends on if you want to be a tank or support. I'd advise you get stuff like a lantern, sheathes, torches, rope, food, etc.

Avanti!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2018, 03:09:25 pm »

Alright, thanks. Would it be better to take the Splint Mail or just buy the cheaper and weaker Scale Mail? What things should I buy from the gear section?

Buy the best armor you want keeping in mind everything you have to buy, you're likely dumping DEX and will need the AC-I'd just go for a breastplate IMO. A shield too, even if you want a two handed weapon (Sometimes you're approaching ranged enemies before you can attack). Some sort of ranged weapon with ammo is preferable.

Then a few rations, a light source (even if you can see in the dark, your allies can't), a tent/bedroll, sacks/bags/sheaths/rope as mentioned.

Make sure you have basic weapons that cover all damage types-blunt, piercing, and slashing. If this is like D&D enemies might be immune or vulnerable to certain damage types-a classic example is skeletons, who are either resistant to everything but or vulnerable to blunt damage.

I've also always favored carrying a small weapon on your person so you had a backup, in case your weapon was stolen or disarmed or you're being grappled, but in this system it may or may not be useful-it depends on how finicky the GM is about assigning Skill difficulty DC to drawing equipment when you're being pressured (or strangled by a tentacle or whatever)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2018, 06:02:43 pm »

Guess I'm going to have to change a lot of stuff. At first I was planning to use an one handed weapon and keep the other hand free for a ranged weapon or lay on hands. Breasplate has an even higher penalty than the Scale Mail, too. I picked a Hand Crossbow and a Longsword, but I might need to change these things.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2018, 08:13:27 am »

I don't know enough about the system to know if keeping one hand totally free has any mechanical benefit. In most of my experience with similar systems you should always be using both hands. :P I.e, you can always wield a two-handed weapon in both hands, but shouldering your weapon and freeing up your other hand doesn't require an action.

The traditional rule is usually two hands to attack, but your off-hand is free for spelling and such.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2018, 08:53:46 am »

I'm also wondering if I should increase more my charisma since it also gives me extra uses of powers like healing. I would have to decrease strenght for that, though.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2018, 09:01:18 am »

Having a free hand also lets you do things like shove, trip, and disarm using the Athletics skill.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2018, 10:20:06 am »

As a ruling, I think it's ridiculous for it to cost a whole action for both letting go and holding onto a two-handed weapon. It'll cost one total action for doing both in a turn, allowing you to lay on hands and attack in a single turn. Or cast a spell while wielding a two-handed weapon.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2018, 11:04:57 am »

Certain weapons let you do those moves too, and they use the weapons bonus, though that is correct.

I'm also wondering if I should increase more my charisma since it also gives me extra uses of powers like healing. I would have to decrease strength for that, though.

The way I've read things is that a spellcasting build for non-spellcasting classes will require you to also invest your Paladin feats into spellcasting, so you can get the bonus casting points and additional spells. If you don't plan to invest the feats, it's fine leaving it at 12/14 at the start of the game. A 16/16/16 str/con/cha build would be fine, though, I'd think.

Things to think about-the way we get stat ups makes me think we are meant to have two strong stats (We get 4 points every stat up. Stat boosts past 18 are 1 for 1, as opposed to 1 for 2 as below), or four/six balanced stats, and the rest you don't get will not be getting any higher than 18. So you need to decide if you want to be invested in CHA long term, or if you want it to hit 16/18 and you leave it alone.

Monks have something similar
Spoiler: Blah blah complaints (click to show/hide)

Anyway, Paladins get their first champion spell for free. So you have more reason to dump just a bit in CHA for lay on hands.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2018, 11:10:10 am »

You'd take that feat because it's prereq for self-healing, teleportation, and aoe damage. :P
Also every +1 helps.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2018, 11:13:47 am »

If you want to seriously min-max, you can make it to 22 in a single stat. And that appears to be the highest. Any points after 18 increase it by 1 rather than two (which you can do about twice) and stat-boosting items boost your stat to 18 or by 2, whichever is more.

And as for "resonance points" I will look at making them less terrible a concept and somehow make staves better at the same time.

@ki complaint, I won't make it not a feat, but I will make it a cantrip-esque thing you can do while you have at least 1 ki point.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14