Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another dumb question - Atom Smasher not working  (Read 1299 times)

srifenbyxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another dumb question - Atom Smasher not working
« on: August 05, 2018, 01:40:41 am »

So after reading the wiki and searching around, I figure I make an atom smasher to as a garbage disposal for refuge and corpses. Issue is that my atom smasher isn't smashing the refuge, I made sure that the bridge is NOT retracting, I have the bridge coming supposedly down from the top but as I said before it's not smashing. Could anyone point out the flaw in my design?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another dumb question - Atom Smasher not working
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 02:41:30 am »

Is the refuse on the same z-level as the bridge?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 07:36:54 am »

Judging by how the refuse is stockpiled, it's almost certain that the bridge is not on the same z-level, as bridges cannot be built over stockpiles and vice versa.

OP, you don't need a smasher that big - just 1x2 raising bridge is enough. You need to put all the things you want to smash on the very same tile that the bridge descends on, which means it has to be the same z-level. This can be done using the garbage (d)ump act(i)vity zone (wiki describes how to use it in detail).
If you are not using any other dump zones (for quantum stockpiling or the like), bringing items to dump can be automated by setting (o)rders --> (r)efuse --> Dwarves Dump %Item_Type% (for all the refuse types you want to be smashed).
If you are using QSPs, however, dumping refuse will have to be done manually: make sure no important items are marked for dumping --> disable the QSP dump zone --> activate the smashing dump zone --> mark refuse for dumping (can be done using (o)rders again, just don't forget to toggle it back once the refuse is smashed) --> wait for the hauling to be finished --> pull the lever, smash, raise the bridge again -> deactivate the smashing dump again --> activate the QSP dump again.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:40:34 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 04:55:20 pm »

Judging by the shading on the edges of the area occupied by the refuse it most definitely looks like the bridge and refuse are on different Z-levels.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 05:25:50 pm »

@Sver: In case of QSPs, instead of manually marking things for dumping one can just drop things down a z-level into a normally inaccessible place.

Though in that case, it might be better to use hinge tile for atomsmashing, since that way there's no danger of flinging items back out on open-close signal cycle.

srifenbyxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 10:41:12 pm »

Thanks  for the help and advice

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 12:24:28 am »

it might be better to use hinge tile for atomsmashing, since that way there's no danger of flinging items back out on open-close signal cycle.
I had never thought of using a single-tile drawbridge for smashing. What happens if a dwarf falls onto it?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 06:56:47 am »

it might be better to use hinge tile for atomsmashing, since that way there's no danger of flinging items back out on open-close signal cycle.
I had never thought of using a single-tile drawbridge for smashing. What happens if a dwarf falls onto it?
Last I checked, a dwarf standing on the hinge of a drawbridge while it is raising will get atomsmashed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 08:36:28 pm »

And while dwarf falls onto it, it behaves same way as falling onto closed floodgate, etc. - they float (not the case for pitting, however). They don't have floor underneath though, so the tile is considered inaccessible.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 09:00:15 pm »

And while dwarf falls onto it, it behaves same way as falling onto closed floodgate, etc. - they float (not the case for pitting, however). They don't have floor underneath though, so the tile is considered inaccessible.
That's what I was wondering. So can they walk off the raised drawbridge?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 10:40:25 pm »

Sure, provided they have somewhere to walk to. The rest of the bridge isn't considered walkable, fyi, though they can get to an adjacent floor with no need for a supporting wall.