Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Migrants  (Read 2124 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need Migrants
« on: August 04, 2018, 03:48:04 am »

I need to send dwarves out to take over the sites formerly occupied by elves. But I can't get any migrants, probably because I haven't seen a diplomat in years. Even DFHack's migrants-now didn't work.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get migrants, by hook or by crook? My best idea now is to let visitors in, and turning them into squaddable citizens takes years.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need Migrants
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 04:37:37 am »

I need to send dwarves out to take over the sites formerly occupied by elves. But I can't get any migrants, probably because I haven't seen a diplomat in years. Even DFHack's migrants-now didn't work.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get migrants, by hook or by crook? My best idea now is to let visitors in, and turning them into squaddable citizens takes years.
You only need one citizen to lead a squad. The rest can be regular mercs. You still have a way to go though.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:57:37 am »

Have you ever gotten migrants? If so, you could try fix/stuck-merchants and see if that helps.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 11:29:06 pm »

I've had migrants in the past. My population is 150. There was an ugly scene years ago when I decided to kick out the visitors, and they ran into some hostiles on the way out.

1. Could allowing in some visitors get the migrants flowing again?
2. Could retiring and reclaiming the fort get the migrants flowing again?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 11:52:14 pm »

I don't think either of those would necessarily help. The latter might give you the two hardcoded migrant waves, but unretiring can lead to issues with your existing dwarves not working, so it might not put you ahead.

150 is a lot more than what I thought you were dealing with. Your population cap isn't close to that, is it?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 12:54:21 am »

150 is a lot more than what I thought you were dealing with. Your population cap isn't close to that, is it?
The cap was at 160 for a while, with no visitors or children. I pushed it up to 250 two seasons ago, and that didn't help.

The key fact may be that I had a (self-appointed) queen in my fort who drank herself to death. Her successor popped up in another site far away, and since then I haven't heard anything from the home civ. No caravans, no diplomat, and no migrants. With fortress wealth over 27 million, they should be swarming me.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 01:49:31 pm »

Is your units list full?

Quote from: The wiki
One factor which is known to affect migrant wave size is the total size of your fortress's units list (all 4 categories), which consists of dwarves, invaders, merchants, and animals which either died or currently live at your fortress. As this number increases, the maximum size of migrant waves will be reduced: starting at a local population of 1000, migrant wave sizes are limited to 10, and at subsequent levels of 1300, 1600, 1800, 2000, 2200, 2400, 2600, 2800, and 2900, the limit is decreased by 1, and once you reach a local population of 3000 you will cease to get migrants at all.

(source)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 12:20:46 am »

Is your units list full?
That's a great idea. Sadly, the answer seems to be no. I'm showing Citizens 150, Pets/Livestock 48, Others 282, and Dead/Missing 100.

That last number is strangely low, though. I've done all sorts of killing at this fortress. Only a handful of dwarves have died, but lots of stolen tame animals have been butchered, and then their reanimated hides beaten to death. Something must be keeping the number of Dead/Missing locked at 100.

The Others at 282 is due to an untapped cavern. The undead tend to pile up in reanimating biomes. I could clear it out with some effort, but it doesn't sound like that would solve my migrant problem.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 02:16:57 am »

The DFHack script fix/dead-units culls the "dead" list of "unimportant" units to avoid the "too many units in the list" problem and it's run once per month if you use LNP with DFHack fixes enabled.