Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC  (Read 21691 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC
« Reply #195 on: October 11, 2018, 01:13:40 pm »

@DivideByZero: I believe you said something that leads me to believe that the mist's signal attenuation would be less of an issue.  Am I wrong in so thinking?

What are you thinking of? If you have a very strong focusing array then you should be able to communicate with a similar antenna pointed your way at the receiving point, but low power broadcasts (like a walkie talkie) are just food for spirits, pretty much.
I was thinking some combination of mist-piercing comms which you said were available to me, and just straight-up cell service stuff.

I'm not doubting you. There are communication methods that pierce the mist, such as the methods used by the radio forest (active area of study, presumably your people have something to offer the academy in that regard) and by using high-gain antennas (brute force). They are just not practical for societal-scale use akin to the modern-day internet because throwing vast amounts of energy into the air will conjure thousands of spirits, and nobody wants to deal with the chaos that would ensue (and they would probably devise methods to intercept the signal and leech more energy off of it). Most communication across continents is done by physically carrying messages, but communication across land and cities is practical using messenger spirits or sparing use of high-gain antennas.

...hey actually, could you use that effect?  SMS over spirits?

Spirits are a great way to send messages over long distances. There are a few engineering problems with them, mainly the fact that they tend to get attacked by other spirits when travelling over the ocean, and they die quickly in the upper atmosphere.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
  • 200 versions of the same catboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 12, 2018, 10:37:53 pm »

Is this closed yet? I want to experiment with one of my magic ideas and see if a certain combination fits together smoothly enough.

Granted, from what I'm seeing the magic is well beyond what my merely mortal mind can comprehend, but that's what I like to call a minor detail.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2018, 12:45:44 am »

If you've ever made a computer program or a ham radio, you probably have what it takes to figure out how the magic works. Some of the concepts in the magic system are weird, but then you realize we're already using those concepts in real life. Consider what those real life technologies can do, then push those capabilities to affecting the material world, and you've got an idea of what this magic can do. It's not too huge a leap if you frame it right.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2018, 08:40:35 am »

Review of previous actions.

Took a circle of stone out of the block to act as the center of the matrix. Took it to the finish line.

The frequency bit is correct, and it will activate once that frequency gets close to it. Since I placed it near the field of the finish line, it will get rid of the spell coming up from the ground in that specific area. Burning it works,

Next bit after that is to return to the start and begin work on the crystal, which is still inside the block.

I actually need the crystal not to have anything attached to it so the various mandala won't interfere with each other. That, and one of the steps is to completely enclose the crystal. I'm going to be using the stone to create a circuit with the program, which is up against the crystal, followed by a mandala to hold and amplify the spell, Sagitta. That spell will be what sends the thing down the track.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:44:08 am by TricMagic »

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2018, 09:05:12 am »

I will admit, figuring out how a particular magic system works is quite a bit of fun.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2018, 01:58:43 pm »

I will admit, figuring out how a particular magic system works is quite a bit of fun.

We had quite a few people dropping out, and the pace is a bit slower than i expected this game to run, so there's probably room. If you have an idea, go ahead and put it out there.

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2018, 07:04:53 am »

I'm going to go and read the thread a bit, and then polish my idea out. Wanna make sure I got the rules down before I start writing stuff down. Sorry, I have limited PC access sometimes, so sometimes it's a pain to make a sheet over the weekend.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:06:48 am by Redjive_Industries »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 22, 2018, 09:31:28 pm »

Right, did you read the OC? Guess I'll, try to work with it, I guess..

Take the stone, and attach it to the crystal, turn it{the stone} into a wavegear.

WG Program-
[Spirit Within Self used]
[Guidance of Sagitta-Type Magic]
[Propagation of Energy via Spirit-Transference]
[Binding Spell to Matrix]

Tempestry- Ribbon of Wind{Sagitta ae Capturae}
Spoiler: Spell Description (click to show/hide)

I did forget to reply, but if I had seen glaring issues with it I probably would have replied in the negative. This looks good though. Will have to get home before updating. In the meantime I think I will auto IcyTea's exploration of rubber since I have an idea of what he plans to be doing. If he doesn't post in time.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 04, 2018, 09:29:40 pm »

I am confused. I was under the impression that I already had a working prototype because I was going to move it using tempestry? Please let me know if this is incorrect somehow. (The wavegear was only ever supposed to be an emergency backup)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2018, 06:41:48 pm »

Working prototype if you want to test the wavegear.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]