Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC  (Read 21782 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game [Recruiting]
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2018, 03:24:58 pm »

Meanwhile, there's me with spirits within me. So Tempest Harmony to boost for the win.

captainjordy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2018, 03:46:44 am »

Yus I am here.

Spoiler: tomaeus adius (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2018, 12:46:37 am »

Meanwhile, there's me with spirits within me. So Tempest Harmony to boost for the win.

Do you mind filling in your bio on your character sheet?

Yus I am here.

Spoiler: tomaeus adius (click to show/hide)

The reaction is a bit vague. What does he do to get what he wants? Use force? Talk big?

Stats look good and it adds a strong Spiritseer into the midst.

I am trying to reconcile the backstory. Being a society based around looting the underworld, a criminal empire in Vault makes a lot of sense. But do you mean war between the colonies, or between the city states? There are conflicts over territory in the Lost Continent which have been catalysts for conflict, so a large amount of veterans is likely. A lot of the wars ended in stalemate--tensions are currently still up and free trade is nonexistent, and Vault being a bastion filled with a variety of travelers each with their own ideas and backgrounds means that you are correct in referring to its government as unstable.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:58:49 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2018, 10:18:56 am »

...that just happened.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

captainjordy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2018, 10:04:41 pm »

The reaction is a bit vague. What does he do to get what he wants? Use force? Talk big?

I am trying to reconcile the backstory. Being a society based around looting the underworld, a criminal empire in Vault makes a lot of sense. But do you mean war between the colonies, or between the city states? There are conflicts over territory in the Lost Continent which have been catalysts for conflict, so a large amount of veterans is likely. A lot of the wars ended in stalemate--tensions are currently still up and free trade is nonexistent, and Vault being a bastion filled with a variety of travelers each with their own ideas and backgrounds means that you are correct in referring to its government as unstable.
[/quote]

The reaction is that he is patient and will not do anything rash in the moment because he has, or is confident he will have a plan to get what he needs. The part about the war is just a generic way of saying that he has a background in fighting in battles in a warlike setting. I could be referring to any kind of those said conflicts.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2018, 04:23:57 am »

Would it be a good idea to move some points to prior learning in Harmony? On the other hand, it'd be more reliable, but on the other hand I'd hit fewer crits. The character concept suits wild and loose magic more based on natural talent, but how valuable would the extra die be?

Also, how easy is it to raise my scores in the future?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2018, 11:04:47 am »

Think that's done, care to check and see?

credo, nisi cognoscere

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2018, 05:20:29 pm »

Would it be a good idea to move some points to prior learning in Harmony? On the other hand, it'd be more reliable, but on the other hand I'd hit fewer crits. The character concept suits wild and loose magic more based on natural talent, but how valuable would the extra die be?

Also, how easy is it to raise my scores in the future?

For progression:

At the end of a project, you get levels based on how much real world time elapsed (since your character will be doing normal student things in the meantime, gaining skill). You can add levels directly to any kind of the six magics you used during the project. If you used it only incidentally (10% of the time or less) then you can't put more than a quarter of your new points into it. That's the only restriction.

Crit Threshold is worth half a point. So if you incidentally reduce your crit threshold by leveling your potential while it's weaker, for example, you get an extra 0.5 levels in the stat you are raising. The 0.5 levels do nothing until you get another 0.5 levels, and then it becomes a full level. The idea is that total value is conserved.

Also, I am aware that some players have a higher total level than others.
Spoiler: Total levels (click to show/hide)

I'll probably give out those 1-2 levels at some point. For now I will leave it like this as a way to balance minmaxing.

Crits are generally good, unless you fail with them. In that case your fail may or may not be more spectacular. But it takes a bit of investment to get your crit that high. The maximum crit that will do anything--save for skills, spells, and modifiers that increase die size (hint hint)--is 12. Per the progression rules above, that's worth 6 extra levels. You pay 6 levels for a bit of volatility on failures, but it will amplify all your actions. On the other hand, 6 levels is 1.5x d12's. Which one is more valuable to you probably depends on synergy with skills and gear that work off of crits.

Levels pre-extra dice allow you to boost above the noise threshold. In the case of the extra die, it gives you a full second action that is useful for low noise thresholds. But going from a potential/learning of 1/3 to 2/3 would cost you two points at the start of the game, not one, so you'd have to free up points somewhere else. You won't crit with the extra die unless you have a CRIT of 7 or higher.

...that just happened.

I'd like to know a bit more about the symbiosis you've thought up.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2018, 09:05:02 pm »

...I'm still not really sure how crits work.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2018, 11:23:37 pm »

...I'm still not really sure how crits work.

If you have Learning: 0 and Potential: 3, your CRIT is 3-0=3. Your total level is 3, so you roll a d10. You roll a critical if you roll above 10-CRIT, which is 7. So 8, 9, and 10 are crits.

If you have Learning: 1 and Potential: 3, your CRIT is 3-1=2. You roll a d12. You crit on above 12-2, so 11 and 12 are crits.

Apply the pattern to the rest of the combinations. You can swap potential and learning around, but they alter the specific type of crit. Potential crits are less controlled, more like traditional overshoots. Learning crits are precise, so you get sort of exactly what you wanted if you succeed with a crit.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2018, 11:24:34 pm »

Oh.
Sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2018, 12:01:53 am »

Think that's done, care to check and see?

credo, nisi cognoscere

Lots of latin in this thread :L

I like it. It gives me some nice flavor to work with. Since your character is on the other side of the planet I assume she found a passenger vessel or somesuch to carry her across the tar sea; flying across it is also an option, but navigation is difficult even for a spirit of mist.

Your staff will be cosmetic for the time being, but the first task in the exam will give you an opportunity to whip something up.

...speaking of which, I have the IC thread almost ready to post, since everyone seems to have a final concept.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2018, 07:26:17 am »

Here we go!
Sigtext

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2018, 09:28:01 am »

If it is the only requirement, this should be simple enough, take the crystal out, and use the stone itself to help out a bit.

Literally, I just need to fly with the crystal to the goal.

Should only take myself 5 to 10 minutes to prepare for the race. Talking to a new spirit seems interesting.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:57:52 am by TricMagic »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2018, 01:19:08 pm »

That won't work, you need to stand still in your own box.

E: though you could think outside the box and find a way to move it rather than to move the marble. The ground is likely less receptive to magic, but you're standing on it so noise is minimal.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:21:09 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14