Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC  (Read 21717 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Antinomy of the Five Spectra

(IC Thread)

Inberlin, the capital city under the black sky, blares with excitement, for today is the operating date of the 86th Cycle Practical Exam, a time when all newcomers to the city gather at the Flowering Hall: newborns, dropouts, and travelers notwithstanding. All are welcome.

The exam places entrants in line for Inberlin's most prestigious institution. The Academies, as they were called, were constructed long ago in an era of strife. The Architects, immortal wizards beyond all compare, sought to bestow the gifts of magic upon all, so that the sages and masters of the scattered tribes would no longer hold power, and gradually the rule of sages and masters came to fade away as the stars did long ago.
In the current age, quarrels between Academies are kept civil, and the students no longer campaign in the countryside and wage war against other schools. However, the discovery of the lost continent of Ithcanthar has caused a scramble, spurring Academies across the globe to train fresh new minds and claim the future as their own.

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)

So without further ado, you can sign up here. Feel free to ask any questions or clarifications about the setting, powers, or characters.
There is no strict player limit to the practical test. Afterward I'll pick 3 players with sufficiently different statlines, and those 3 players can each pick another character to accompany them.

Ill be on a trip later this month, so the actual game probably won't start until around September. The first part might start earlier though.

Code: (Keep formatting, please delete descriptions) [Select]
[b]Name: [/b]Greek or Latin roots are common
[b]Gender: [/b]Male is defined as specialized for Spiritual magic, Female is defined as specialized for Elemental magic. Both utilize the sub-magics extensively.
If your character is from a society that does not adhere to this standard, or has no such specialization, just put your pronoun.
[b]Appearance: [/b]You get to submit a custom uniform, which will be provided to you should you be admitted. If your character has any unusual physiology such as extra arms, wings, odd proportions, etc, they go here as well.
[b]Axiom: [/b]What value system were you born in? What values did your parents instill in you from creation? Your character is not held to these values, but your axiom pervades every underscore of your mental topology. Meaning that it's likely to show up in unexpected places, even if you've diverged from that path.
[b]Bio: [/b]You can come up with a background. I recommend reading the lore sections above. If your character is from a tribe or backwater, you don't need to read about all the locations and such. I do recommend you read Biology, Families, and Backgrounds.
You have freedom to come up with names, cities, organizations, etc as you wish.

---

[b]Prowess:[/b] You have 20 points to assign levels. By default you are level 0. Level 1 costs 1 point, Level 2 costs 3 points, and Level 3 costs 6 points. Up to 4 of your entries can be level 0.
Prior Learning dictates how much experience you have, Potential means how much prior affinity you have (which will translate into prior learning). The difference determines Criticals (see the mechanics post below)
--Prior Learning--
Wavecraft: An elemental magic. Using energy harvested from the ground by a wavegear (such as a staff or rod), you can cast premade spells or encode your own commands into matter; a staff serves as an antenna, used to focus magic signals into a tight beam.
Tempestry: An elemental magic. Using the natural locii within the human nervous system, practitioners can order the penumbral mist itself to act as an antenna, amplifying gains at the cost of slowly rendering your nervous system useless until healed.
Spiritseer: A spiritual magic. The human brain contains a small number of magically active particles, but in the presence of an increased number, the brain learns to interpret and read the patterns sent by the spirits of the air. Spirit magic is used to listen to and measure spirits.
Harmony: A spiritual magic. The act of harmonizing the mind to a signal requires knowledge of the brain's inner workings, able to insert hidden cues into music and voice. Harmonic magic involves creating compositions, a fixed set of cues which individuals recite and train to perform subconsciously in addition to their normal action.
Ignition: A sub-magic. To ignite the mist is to start a chain reaction that propagates itself. Technically speaking, a spirit is a type of ignition. In its simplest form, an ignition can quickly drain all the mana from a place, emitting a violent burst of heat, but the energy can be used for long-lasting charms and curses as well.
Artifice: A sub-magic. Technically the culmination of using helper-spirits, precise manipulation, and engineering knowledge. Artifice is the tool used to create bodies and wavegears, instruments complex beyond compare.

--Potential--
Wavecraft: See above
Tempestry: See above
Spiritseeing: See above
Harmony: See above
Ignition: See above
Artifice: See above

[b]Scholarliness: [/b]A number between -5 and 5. Negative values indicate a slacker, someone who's late all the time, or someone who forgets about assignments. 5 indicates someone who shows up on time, performs well on mundane assignments, and maintains a good reputation with professors. Will not affect rolls directly.
[b]Reaction: [/b]An automatic response that indicates how you handle unexpected situations. Pick one or design your own.
Confrontational: Will tend to draw attention to yourself and retaliate.
Evasive: Will try to dodge attention and flee if possible.
Cautious: Will stick around, but try to observe the situation at the risk of falling into danger.
Opportunistic: Will try to end the situation efficiently, whether that means a sucker punch or a witty remark.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 04:45:13 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Antinomy of the Five Magics (Magic College) (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:31:33 pm »

Mechanics

Magic is used for nigh-everything. There are times where people cannot use magic, as either all of the mana is exhausted from their surroundings, or perhaps there is too much noise. That being said, magic is usually the best solution to problems, and it is no wonder that society is built around it.

Non-magic actions don't have rolls. Basically you'll be assumed to succeed if it seems like your character would be able to do it. Pick a lock? If you have a lockpick and lots of time, sure. Under time pressure? In five seconds? I might roll a d6, but you have to get lucky.
Either way, physical stats aren't tracked and the same luck-based d6 will be used for non-magic actions when appropriate.

In magic, your combined (potential + learning) level in the corresponding category of magic determines the number of sides on your die.
Lv. 0 uses a d4
Lv. 1 uses a d6
Lv. 2 uses a d8
Lv. 3 uses a d10
Lv. 4 uses a d12
At Lv. 5 and up, you get extra dice to roll. You can use these on the same action to take the higher value, or you can split your actions.
Lv. 5 gets a d12 and a d6
Lv. 6 gets a d12 and a d8
Lv. 7 gets a d12 and a d10
Lv. 8 gets 2d12
...and so on.

Spoiler: Criticals (click to show/hide)

Each type of magic is covered separately here for clarity. But first and foremost, all magical actions require a communication roll into the area that you are planning to cast the spell. The amount of power at your disposal depends on the amount of volume you control, but the more spread out your signal, the more difficult it is to overcome noise. You must roll higher than the Noise Threshold.

Spoiler: Range Table (click to show/hide)

The standard noise threshold is 1 (meaning that a 2+ passes), but the further you get, the more spread out your signal becomes. To counteract this, you can amplify your signal -- each doubling grants a +1. You can also focus your signal, and each halving of the focus area grants +1. This is referred to as Gain. However, increasing your gain narrows your beam, and accordingly reduces the power.
Typically speaking, amplification will damage your equipment. Gain is cheaper--but dilutes your power. You also have the time-tested strategy of moving closer, increasing your chance to hit.

If multiple people try to cast a spell on the same volume of mist, only the loudest signal will win. This kind of jamming, in addition to noise sources and metal objects reflecting the signal, all increase the effective threshold that you need to pass.

Spoiler: Wavecraft (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tempestry (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spiritseeing (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harmony (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ignition (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Artifice (click to show/hide)

Spell List

This will be for the additional spells that players will learn over the course of the game.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:31:15 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Antinomy of the Five Magics (Magic College) (OOC)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:31:53 pm »

Extra Links/Info

Villages
Radio Forest
Axioms
Progression

Playerlist

Supernerd - SS: 1
Spoiler: Engrams and wavegears (click to show/hide)

Wunderkatze - SS: 2

TricMagic - SS: 3

IcyTea31 - SS: 3

HighEndNoob - SS: 3

TheBiggerFish - SS: 1
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:18:16 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (Magic College) (OOC)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 07:32:21 am »

If the game won't start for another month or so, could I get a PM when it does if my character is accepted?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 09:07:46 am »

Hopeful it will be a month. Should have a Laptop by then.

Will be signing up, because MAGIC~

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 09:49:11 am »

If the game won't start for another month or so, could I get a PM when it does if my character is accepted?

Sure, I'll PM everyone when action is required.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 11:20:15 am »

Looks really interesting, but the setting might be too "alien" for me. I want to make a sheet, but I have no idea how to make a character that actually fits the setting.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:36:40 am »

All are welcome. So long as they fit in somewhere, it should be fine.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 12:46:03 pm »

Looks really interesting, but the setting might be too "alien" for me. I want to make a sheet, but I have no idea how to make a character that actually fits the setting.

I'm glad the setting came across as intended. ;)

The driving idea behind this world of mine was to take a bunch of things that are fundamentally a part of the human condition and yank them away. Take for example farmland, wealth, and people struggling over food; on Fragment, food is not something that's traded as a commodity, because it's more of a matter of "do you have the social institutions needed to maintain a steady supply" rather than "do you own the means of production." Same goes for factories and such--people use magic to do things such as manufacturing, and magic is plentiful, so rather than asking the question of who owns all the equipment, it's a matter of who has the skills, knowledge, and a willingness to train people. If your society ends up concentrating knowledge in the hands of the few, then it doesn't matter if everyone has plenty to eat because they have no control over the future.

There are still wars. People live in city-states. Mercenaries, career soldiers, refugees, profiteers, and so on are all still a part of the equation, because war is one of those factors that I think gets exacerbated by the new constraints rather than diminished. The material destruction caused by war is less problematic, for example.

So if you want a starting point for inspiration, think in terms of a value system you want to explore. I sort of envisioned a methodology of character design to be 1) think of some dystopia, 2) collapse it somehow, 3) write a character who's lived through/fled from the collapse. If you want some ideas I can go over some notable city-states in detail.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:55:41 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 01:02:05 pm »

Looks fun.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:43:09 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 05:08:38 pm »

I think I got the most important parts of an application done. Please let me know if there are any issues with it.

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)
Last modified April 1, 2018
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:03:43 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 05:55:34 pm »

I think I got the most important parts of an application done. Please let me know if there are any issues with it.

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)

Formatting is alright, but you need to specify more about your village. I will have a post up about villages when I get home, since there's a few different models for running a village.

I am wondering about your Axiom--do you mean to say that every fiber of this character's being was originally made to the goal of being smart enough to build a family? This would imply a number of things--

1) Artifice stat would probably be higher for crafting bodies, unless your character's parents knew nothing of the sort--this would make your character somewhat of a homunculus in appearance due to being made with a lack of fine crafting skill.
If your Axiom stays the same, and your character has a well-crafted body, you would probably have Artifice as your highest Learning+Potential.

2) Your character would probably have a specialized role in the village hierarchy--remember that villages have only a small number of people who actually know biology and spiritcrafting in detail, due to the lack of an academy. In other words, if Octavia was meant to be knowledgeable and also propagate the village, there ought to be something to differentiate her from the rest of the people hanging out at the village.

3) This is probably most important--the axiom is meant to affect your character's purpose not only in life, but in the future you will impart to your descendants. A population whose morals are "be successful and have children" may survive, but it doesn't specify much of a means to that end. If the end of having children and learning magic is more important that an abstract moral value or principle, then your character is probably predisposed to acting utilitarian and opportunistic. What does her culture think of relatives? Is she meant to compete with them? Help them? What about people outside of her village?

1) and 2) could probably be alleviating by fleshing out the village more--perhaps this village is special in that it sends its population to the cities instead of having the sages teach children locally.
The population would probably get a lot of axiomatic drift as people leave to go to foreign Academies and bring back foreign ideas. It's probably a new practice since I suspect most of the population would have emigrated to the cities over decades. So that can be a start.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 06:20:15 pm »

I'll need to think on this a bit more. I find it hard to come up with world lore in a character application for a pre-established universe.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 10:00:58 pm »

Name: Cassius Aurelius
Appearance: A grayscale custom uniform that includes a cloak.
Axiom: Knowledge equals power. Power equals having control over the future. Therefore, amassing knowledge is very important, as those with knowledge have power over their own destiny.
Bio: WIP
---

Prowess:
--Prior Learning--
Wavecraft: 1
Tempestry: 1
Spiritseer: 1
Harmony: 1
Ignition: 1
Artifice: 1

--Potential--
Wavecraft: 0
Tempestry: 0
Spiritseeing: 3
Harmony: 1
Ignition: 1
Artifice: 3

Scholarliness: 5
Reaction: Cautious.

Still editing.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 08:38:46 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 11:57:31 pm »

Cities and Villages

Long ago there was no distinction between cities and villages other than magnitude; the largest villages earned the title, while the villages could hardly boast about their numbers or prowess. The age of scattered tribes and villages came to pass long ago when the Architects built the first Academies. By controlling the means of training skilled new magicians, the first Architects gained a monopoly on war, building armies numbering in the hundreds of mages. With this, they tended to conquer surrounding villages, adding their populace to their own, but their eyes were mostly set on their competitors. It was architects, after all, and architects alone, who held the keys to the future.

With time the architects faded, their countless sons and daughters having different plans for their empires. Most architects of this age died on the fields of battle. Those who remained felt confident in their ability to influence society from the background, without drawing ire of their war-weary subjects. This leads us to the current era, where the villages not consumed by military expansion are just now being exposed to the promise of education in cities far away.

Villages are found in the wilderness and remote areas of both populous continents, and rarely near a city, for most of those were conquered long ago. A village exists only because of some stationary good, such as a lake of Black Tar or a radiotree of immense magical utility. Nearopenings to the underworld there are villages who provide healing and other services along well-traveled routes. The constraining factor of a village is the lack of an Academy, and hence each village has its own means of propagating its own existence.

• Villages led by Sages are close to a tribal structure, with a single patriarch or an oligarchy of skilled mages who craft the village's inhabitants one by one. They control healing and the training of new mages and successors. Gradually a village led like this tends to fracture when the number of skilled magicians becomes too great; a single sage can only command so many people before the system of communication breaks down. Either a group will split off, or the leadership will find a way to solve their problems. This can lead to violence or perhaps some new system of governance.
  • Villages utilizing the system of Master and Apprentice tend to be industrious and proto-academic. Lacking a centralized institution for training mages, learning is instead decentralized. Villages like these are treated more as gathering places than as residences. Staunchly individualistic, their leadership is more democratic in nature, and citizens often live in housing far outside the formal borders.
  • Some villages act as private schools of a sort, or else some sort of research station for studying the natural world. For this they are known as Studies. They are dependent on resources imported from outside their borders, but they have the means to secure these supplies through either a powerful guard, able to fight off the Walkers along the shore and draw the Black Tar into pools, or through relationships with another city or village.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14