Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I be saving up for Rimworld?  (Read 1333 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Should I be saving up for Rimworld?
« on: July 27, 2018, 07:32:40 am »

I heard it is more difficult than DF (which is easy once you learn it). Is this true? I mean, the Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Should I be saving up for Rimworld?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 07:56:06 am »

I like it very much, it's not as detailed as df but the storytelling potential is there.

the challenges aren't that varied as well, but if you looking for an hard game rimworld can be quite punishing on harder difficulties

it has also a lot of add-on complexity via mods, so there's that too.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 09:07:17 am »

Note that it is quite expensive, I will definitely buy it once it goes on sale.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 09:45:02 am »

Good luck with that. Tynan said it won't go on sale till after release at the earliest.
I wouldn't say its harder than DF, although there is the mechanoid clown cars that arrive in the late game.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 10:10:36 am »

It has features DF hasn't and the other way around. Ideally I would've liked a combination of DF, Rimworld and Oxygen not included. Simulation of thermodynamics is very lacking in Rimworld which is disturbing (because it's very easy to implement in a cheap way on a 2D-grid). The pre-release version of 1.0 is available, so release could be any time, but it's definitely worth the money. Humble Monthly people may have a 10% discount as well.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 11:40:26 am »

Rimworld is somewhat like DF, where once you learn the systems, it's not too hard. I found the systems of Rimworld to be easier to learn than DF, and the learning curve is nowhere near as steep.

The game isn't likely to go on sale anytime soon. It's one of the few games of recent times where I didn't feel ripped off paying full price if that helps you any. For $30, you're at least getting your moneys worth, if not much more. I'm currently at 891 hours, and while I don't really play the base version of the game anymore, the modding community is so extensive that there is always a new way to spice up gameplay. I can't recommend this game enough to people who enjoy base building and colony management!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 12:03:50 pm »

On the whole I'd say it's easier than DF. The difficulty is in the lack of ways to just outright shut out all hostile activity in the ways DF makes possible, and the existence of enemies that you can't just funnel through a gauntlet.

Worth the buy if you like that sort of gameplay and the Firefly aesthetic. I would like if there was an alternate sort of endgame because the robutts kinda break the flavor for me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 10:51:36 pm »

I found DF exceedingly easy after I learned it in one evening. Mostly because you can just wall yourself off.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 11:32:43 pm »

Rimworld was fun for a few days, but at the end of the day it just made me yearn to play DF again. There was just so little content in comparison, although looking at the recent patches makes me think it could be worth checking out again.

As for the difficulty, eh. I'd say it's more difficult than DF, but barely. Both games are quite easy, but DF is more formulaic while Rimworld is more random. I wouldn't get either game based on its difficulty though; both games' difficulty is largely predicated on knowing what order things should be built. DF has a much larger array of options for that order, Rimworld will occasionally throw a curveball via event forcing you to change that order temporarily. That's about as far as either games' difficulty goes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 11:58:52 pm by Rex_Nex »

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 06:02:35 am »

Rimworld can be less as well as more difficult than DF.
You can choose between a few different storytelling AIs.
Depending on which one you choose, different events (raider attacks, plagues, and so on) appear less or more often or completely randomly.
You will most likely not survive your first rounds, and even later it can always happen that some unexpected event messes everything up, but, especially with the countless mods, it has the potential for rounds you spend weeks on, growing your population, enhancing your people with implants, looting other settlements or trading with them, and so on.

It definitely feels different than DF, but there are similarities as well. You have more direct control, especially in battles, and (most of the time) your citizens are not as idiotic and suicidal as dwarfs tend to be.

There are no z-levels unfortunately, but I got used to that rather quickly. There are mountains though, potential FUN included.

I could tell you more, but I think you'd rather want to explore that yourself ;)

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 06:40:38 am »

Yes. It's one of the better building games out there. In my opinion right up there with Factorio.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 02:18:23 pm »

If you want to purchase it, there's a bundle deal going on here that's got a fair few good games in it for about how much rimworld is.

https://www.stardock.com/colonize-the-universe